Goodbye Jesus

Who the Hell is Satan?

Hierophant

3 hours ago, Aries256 said:

Satan is a made up boogey man to keep the sheep in line, and submissive. 

He's just doing his job.

He shows up dutifully at all those camp-meetings and revivals, as paid influencer to keep the collection-plates circulating.

I think Satan is a solution to a problem. What problem? Bad shit happens for no good reason. So if you have an all loving benevolent deity as Yahweh developed into then how can bad things happen to believers who are otherwise doing everything right? Enter Satan. That nasty feller is the cause of all that is bad in the world. Problem solved, and God is still good.

At first the ancient Israelite's didn't have this problem which is why Satan doesn't turn up until much later. Yahweh was originally the architect of everything. Isiah 45:6-7 6That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else. 7I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Originally there was none beside Yahweh. Then we got angels, Satan, then joy to the world a Son. Also a holy spirit and now Christianity might as well be pagan.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 8:15 AM, WalterP said:

Are you a Seventh Day Adventist, Thumbelina?

What's the deal? Why can't she answer a simple question? 

Are you embarrassed of your strange beliefs???

Embarrassed of Ellen G White???

• Like 1

Well here is my take on the topic.

First of all everything changes in the new testament and I believe that is because of a religious "merge" if you will. 

Ezekiel 28 is a scripture used to reference satan in the old testament. But its not talking about satan. Its talking about the king of tyrus. Its a parable. He is basically telling the king of tyrus that God had given him everything and that it was because of his iniquity the everything would now be taken away. 

In the old testament hell is just the grave. There is no "lake of fire" its not until Jesus in the new testament references the rich man in hell just wanting a drop of water do we start getting this mental image of a place of torture. 

So what happened between the old testament and the new? They were influenced by Hades. In Greek mythology there was this underworld of the dead with an evil God who defies all the other Gods and wants to take over. This isn't the first time that this happened. If you start looking into it the Jews did it with their religion. If you look at the ancient EL mythology it reflects a lot of the stories of other pagan beliefs in the area. Eventuallh they become monotheistic. Probably influenced by Egypt during the reign of Akenhaten. In the 1300s BC. Maybe.... maybe not. I'm not an archeologist but the time frame looks right. 

So now new testament comes along and this entity of Satan begins to develop. In the first gospel ever written  (Mark) the tempting by Satan is almost just mentioned in passing. 2 verses are dedicated to it. Obviously not a big deal for Mark. But the later gospels luke and Mathew start giving this entity more power. Now by the time the FAKE epistles are added in. The catholic church puts its spin on it. And 2000 years of imagination creep in. We have a whole underground world ruled by Satan who was an angel cast out of heaven and his demons can posses people who then must be cast out through exorcism. LOL. Its really laughable when you pick it apart. 

DB

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Isn't it really just that people love a contest of strength?

Tales of epic battles?

My team vs your team?

Considering that in the era when the Bible was supposedly penned there was little for entertainment, people put a lot of emphasis on physical contests and organized fighting for sport. When writing propaganda to sell a religion, some plot and character-development was badly needed.

What better than a tale of two titans fighting it out?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2021 at 11:28 PM, alreadyGone said:

Isn't it really just that people love a contest of strength?

Tales of epic battles?

My team vs your team?

Just an aside, but I'm very much doing that here. That's why I take such an 'us versus them' approach with the christians.

We're stronger then them in X ways. Here's some examples in real time. Read it for yourself make of it what you will.

People like winners, strength, and contest winners. You're correct. 

Seeing the fact that christians, no matter how big a blow hard or bluff they may be, WILL loose when put on the spot. They literally can not win based on their presupposition based platform. People loved the bible's cocky shit, well, we can give them a taste of something even cockier yet that trumps the bibles cocky shit, basically. 

This is the modern mythology. The new players. And the new winners, more importantly. And it's geared towards fighting against religious authorities and those who play lip service apologizing for the same.