Goodbye Jesus

The Problem of evoL

TheRedneckProfessor

12 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

Truthfully Weezer, I just think you're a lost old man...

I know that is what you think, but are you thinking with a brain that has spent years studying the history of world religions including Christianity, and praying to understand truth, and finally decided all religions were fabricated by humans?  Why don't you do the same and then tell me what you think?  If I am still alive.

• Super Moderator
19 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

Makes me think of Forrest Gump....."are you stupid or something?"  Either you accept where we are in the story or you don't.

Has it been definitively established that we are part of a "story", or is that just your own, personal assertion/opinion?

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Has it been definitively established that we are part of a "story", or is that just your own, personal assertion/opinion?

We are discussing the validity of "the story" regardless of whether anything has been established.

• Super Moderator
4 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

We are discussing the validity of "the story" regardless of whether anything has been established.

I'm not sure we can discuss the validity of the story without first establishing the validity of the story.  But, carry on...

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I'm not sure we can discuss the validity of the story without first establishing the validity of the story.  But, carry on...

I think you can discuss the establishment of the validity of the story. 

Or validate the establishment of the discussion. 

Or you can call me Ray. Or you can call me Jay... but you doesn't have to call me Johnson.  

Didn't Jesus say something about a house without proper foundations falling down when the wind and rain came?

hurricane-sandy-collapse-home.jpg?x44947

On 8/7/2022 at 8:54 AM, Edgarcito said:

I've been working.  Am going to read and return, thanks.

You've always left me out of your derogatory comments Edgarcito, why? Just because I like you personally is no excuse.  I am also an old, Forrest Gump, all-religions-are-a- joke-to-be-laughed-at kind of a guy. Don't forget to insult me next posting since I have not believed in Santa Clause or God for more than 60 years now -- but I try hard not to laugh at those who do believe in such fantasies.

You're not afraid of my intellect are you?

cheers :)

2 hours ago, pantheory said:

You've always left me out of your derogatory comments Edgarcito, why? Just because I like you personally is no excuse.  I am also an old, Forrest Gump, all-religions-are-a- joke-to-be-laughed-at kind of a guy. Don't forget to insult me next posting since I have not believed in Santa Clause or God for more than 60 years now -- but I try hard not to laugh at those who do believe in such fantasies.

You're not afraid of my intellect are you?

cheers :)

No, I don't have any problem with you...you even recognized the Spanish version of little Edgar.  How can I discount a guy like that lol.  Walter on the other hand seems to have a need to deflect rather than just be straightforward.  Everyone can believe as they wish....I'm too old now to give a shit.  I guess it's just a matter of time for people to feel comfortable in their beliefs.  The Prof has his moments, but Walter is still wavering in insecurity.  And Wheezer, I actually have compassion for people in his shoes, but just don't care for whatever vibe he's putting out.  Not sure I can put my finger on it.

I looked a small bit at the UP and have a cursory takeaway....heavy on cursory.  Please excuse my ignorance, but I had an idea that at the quantum level, perhaps there is less interference than at a macro level....maybe "classical" has too much, again, interference, to match the quantum level.  Just shit that runs through my brain....maybe totally out in left field.  My brain also wants to associate 100% certainty with lack of choice and uncertainty with choice/ free will.  Maybe I just need to start a thread in the coliseum to keep WALTER'S BULLSHIT out of the discussion.  He's so very close to a reincarnation of Mark (BAA), it's scary.  I think you and BAA had your differences if I'm remembering correctly.  

No, I'm not scared of intellect, I just wish I had more and had the time and inclination to delve into things like the lack of a unified theory.  My dad was a pretty sharp guy, and was a university professor, but had a knack for using his intellect as a weapon rather than a gift.  I'm not as sharp as he was, but throw spears nonetheless.  I'm sure it's an acceptance issue in that he did not hand out much acceptance other than intellectual...

You might ask him the same type of direct question.....why he's such a prick.

3 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

Didn't Jesus say something about a house without proper foundations falling down when the wind and rain came?

hurricane-sandy-collapse-home.jpg?x44947

I'm remembering the silence in Revelation 8...

2 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

No, I don't have any problem with you...you even recognized the Spanish version of little Edgar.  How can I discount a guy like that lol.  Walter on the other hand seems to have a need to deflect rather than just be straightforward.  Everyone can believe as they wish....I'm too old now to give a shit.  I guess it's just a matter of time for people to feel comfortable in their beliefs.  The Prof has his moments, but Walter is still wavering in insecurity.  And Wheezer, I actually have compassion for people in his shoes, but just don't care for whatever vibe he's putting out.  Not sure I can put my finger on it.

I looked a small bit at the UP and have a cursory takeaway....heavy on cursory.  Please excuse my ignorance, but I had an idea that at the quantum level, perhaps there is less interference than at a macro level....maybe "classical" has too much, again, interference, to match the quantum level.  Just shit that runs through my brain....maybe totally out in left field.  My brain also wants to associate 100% certainty with lack of choice and uncertainty with choice/ free will.  Maybe I just need to start a thread in the coliseum to keep WALTER'S BULLSHIT out of the discussion.  He's so very close to a reincarnation of Mark (BAA), it's scary.  I think you and BAA had your differences if I'm remembering correctly.  

No, I'm not scared of intellect, I just wish I had more and had the time and inclination to delve into things like the lack of a unified theory.  My dad was a pretty sharp guy, and was a university professor, but had a knack for using his intellect as a weapon rather than a gift.  I'm not as sharp as he was, but throw spears nonetheless.  I'm sure it's an acceptance issue in that he did not hand out much acceptance other than intellectual...

You might ask him the same type of direct question.....why he's such a prick.

Cool enough. As a research scientists I can explain a great many things to you about the pros and cons of today's science.  Aprendi espanol en la escuela, y hablo y escribo bien, pero tal vez menos que perfecto.

Yes, there is a lack of unified theory in science, which is good IMO so that alternative ideas can surface to challenge mainstream theory, which in modern physics I believe there are many problems.

Yes, BAA traded in religion for science, which I generally applaud, but BAA thought that the purpose here was to help those who were injured by religion in the past to escape without looking back. He didn't like my suggesting problems with mainstream science theory since he thought that would hurt his purpose of helping those trying to leave religion via science.

His special interest was cosmology so he asked me to give a balanced perspective of alternatives in my postings which I agreed to do.

Walter is similar to BAA is such ways but maybe even more confrontational. But BAA and I, now Walter and I are coming to terms with less conflict. As I recall you have gone to the Questions Forum before and asked about dark matter one time. They no longer allow much argument in the science vs. religion forum so I think the best place to go would be to the Questions forum, or the Rants and Replies forum  I will start a thread for us in the Questions Forum based upon your last posting.

I put your questions above in the Questions Forum. Check it out. See if this is good for you? I like this better than the Colosseum for questions because one can express different opinions as long as religious arguments are not part of it. As for myself, I'm not so fond of arguments since I was once a teacher of college students.

cheers again Edgarcito :)

On 8/8/2022 at 4:33 PM, Edgarcito said:

And Wheezer, I actually have compassion for people in his shoes, but just don't care for whatever vibe he's putting out.  Not sure I can put my finger on it.

"Not sure I can put my finger on it".    And I am saying the same thing about you, and why you bother to keep coming to this web site. 

If you need help understanding my last statement above, I was basically saying that if you had had the same life experiences and studied the same material about religion that I have, you likely would not think I (or anyone else) am lost. 

• Super Moderator
On 8/8/2022 at 7:41 PM, pantheory said:

They no longer allow much argument in the science vs. religion forum

Who is "they"?

10 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Who is "they"?

It's a preferred pronoun. Like them. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
40 minutes ago, midniterider said:

It's a preferred pronoun. Like them. 

Didn't ask "what" is they; I asked who.  Thanks for your contribution. 

Is anyone going to discuss the problem of evoL, or now that I think of it, has anyone ever defined what evoL means in the 'original Greek' or as defined by science? 

13 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Didn't ask "what" is they; I asked who.  Thanks for your contribution. 

LoL. np.

11 hours ago, duderonomy said:

Is anyone going to discuss the problem of evoL, or now that I think of it, has anyone ever defined what evoL means in the 'original Greek' or as defined by science? 

I think we'll probably just stay digressed. 

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
13 hours ago, duderonomy said:

I'm still upset that nobody has commented on how cleverly I spelled "Love" in reverse to make it evoL and then used it to draw a parallel to the Problem of Evil and the choice between Power or Love.  I mean, I squirted a little over the simple genius of it.  Why didn't y'all?  I'm all butthurt about it now.  😠

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I'm still upset that nobody has commented on how cleverly I spelled "Love" in reverse to make it evoL and then used it to draw a parallel to the Problem of Evil and the choice between Power or Love.  I mean, I squirted a little over the simple genius of it.  Why didn't y'all?  I'm all butthurt about it now.  😠

It'll get better Prof. 

Remember how Ralphie squirted a little when he came up with his school essay about why he needed a Red Ryder BB gun and how that turned out?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I spelled "Love" in reverse to make it evoL

I feel silly for not recognising it. For some reason my thought was you'd blended evolution and evil > evol, I must have watched too many Hovind videos where he uses Evilution... 

• Haha 1

On 8/10/2022 at 6:50 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Who is "they"?

You and most moderators. From my experience over the many years, arguments in the science vs. religion forum are not tolerated by moderators, especially for those arguing or proselytizing religion while questioning science. One time I wasn't even arguing anything there,  I was  just answering science questions and was tossed out of that forum. I do not like to argue with anybody about anything and never did. From there I was told to go to the Lions Den to answer questions, and that thread was also closed solely based upon my answering science questions, nothing else.   If I think there ever is any question about the validity of anything I say,  I add IMO or add links in support of my statements.

• Super Moderator
11 hours ago, pantheory said:

You and most moderators. From my experience over the many years, arguments in the science vs. religion forum are not tolerated by moderators, especially for those arguing or proselytizing religion while questioning science. One time I wasn't even arguing anything there,  I was  just answering science questions and was tossed out of that forum. I do not like to argue with anybody about anything and never did. From there I was told to go to the Lions Den to answer questions, and that thread was also closed solely based upon my answering science questions, nothing else.   If I think there ever is any question about the validity of anything I say,  I add IMO or add links in support of my statements.

I don't think "they" mind people arguing in the science forum so long as it is strictly kept on topic and does not turn into proselytizing; but that is only because proselytizing is only allowed in the Lion's Den, not because "they" won't tolerate arguments against science that are strictly scientific.  I do remember once "they" ran you put of the forum because things had escalated beyond scientific debate and had become a personal argument with the grinding of axes and what not.  "They" apologize if you misunderstood the intent of that particular situation. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pantheory said:

Well if you ever want to debate science vs religion drop by the exchristian spirituality area. /s

Shit. I was just about to change my pronouns to they/them but after reading this I'm not sure.

12 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I don't think "they" mind people arguing in the science forum so long as it is strictly kept on topic and does not turn into proselytizing; but that is only because proselytizing is only allowed in the Lion's Den, not because "they" won't tolerate arguments against science that are strictly scientific.  I do remember once "they" ran you put of the forum because things had escalated beyond scientific debate and had become a personal argument with the grinding of axes and what not.  "They" apologize if you misunderstood the intent of that particular situation. 

I've seen valid points IMO criticizing science theory, on topic, made by religious folk, that were shut down in that forum.  Anyway, thanks for the info.