Goodbye Jesus

Confirmation error and cognitive dissonance

Aibao

8 hours ago, Aibao said:

I wonder, however, how primitive people who lived 2,000 years ago could be so manipulative that they could compose stories about Jesus in such a clever way.

People who lived 2,000 years ago were not primitive.

8 hours ago, Aibao said:

- most often if they convert, it is usually Christianity. Why?

How do you know that?  Have you seen a verified scientific study that shows that to be true?  Or did you get it from some apologist?  Also, my sister has a friend who was Muslim and is now atheist.

8 hours ago, Aibao said:

- name seem feminine) recognizes that there is some higher power but it is not a biblical God. Is this a good book?🤔

Yes, it is a good book, an yes the author is female.  It is one of the first histories of god I read.  She is obviously an agnostic, which is what I likely will be until I die, unless god comes down to me and the whole world before then and proves that he exists.   And I have no fear of going to hell.

There is a shorter, easy to read book, A LITTLE HISTORY OF RELIGION, by Richard Holloway.  But none of these books, or anyone you talk to, or write to will be able to "prove" to you that there is, or is not, a god.  That is your conclusion to make.  You are the master, and the pilot of yourself!  

On 23.07.2022 at 01:10, Wertbag said:

"Właściwie możesz. Mój ojciec jest czystym agnostykiem w tym sensie, że wierzy, że nie możemy wiedzieć, nie mamy wystarczająco dużo informacji, aby się kiedykolwiek dowiedzieć i nikt nie może udowodnić swojego stanowiska w taki czy inny sposób. Mówi, że jeśli bóg jest wszechdobry i wszechmiłujący, to nie ukarze ludzi o dobrych sercach za ignorancję lub zamieszanie. Rzeczy poza ich kontrolą nie powinny ich potępiać, ponieważ jest to niesprawiedliwe. Wierzy, że możemy wiedzieć dopiero po śmierci, w którym to momencie powinniśmy być oceniani na podstawie naszego ograniczonego ludzkiego zrozumienia, a nie na jakiejś doskonałej, niemożliwej do osiągnięcia skali.

(...)

Żona Lota... Widziałem twierdzenie, że jest tam rzeźba wyrzeźbiona z bazaltu, którą miejscowi nazywają żoną Lota. Mówią, że nastąpiła erupcja wulkanu, wielu zginęło, a ocaleni wyrzeźbili posąg jako pomnik zaginionych. Jej forma będąca raczej bazaltem niż solą ma sens (sól by się rozpuściła). Potwierdzenie tych twierdzeń ponownie byłoby przyziemne, inne niż udowodnienie, że żona Lota nie została fizycznie zmieniona, ale została zabita, a posąg jest jedynym wspomnieniem klęski żywiołowej. "

Exactly, I thought similar to your father. Until I decided to thoroughly research religion and find out if there is a God or not. Then I watched a video of the famous apologist Frank Turek, in which he said that the more evidence you have, the more guilty you are before God, if you do not recognize it - he also added that today we have a lot of books on Christianity and we never had, so we are already burdened guilt for not reading it. I spent quite a lot of money on Christian and atheistic books to research the subject of religion. Not only do I feel guilty about the reason mentioned by F. Turek, but I still cannot read it all and I fall into procrastination, sometimes anxiety, sometimes indifference and sometimes apathy.

Wow thanks for the clarification. I don't think I should worry about any archaeological finds that allegedly corroborate biblical stories. I did not expect Christians to cheat in archeology. This shocked me a little. Really, I don't know why they do it, it is the only way they denigrate themselves and discourage people from religion by their deceptions.

On 7/23/2022 at 6:52 AM, Weezer said:

Ludzie, którzy żyli 2000 lat temu, nie byli prymitywni.

Skąd to wiesz? Czy widziałeś zweryfikowane badanie naukowe, które pokazuje, że to prawda? A może dostałeś to od jakiegoś apologety? Poza tym moja siostra ma przyjaciela, który był muzułmaninem, a teraz jest ateistą.

Tak, to dobra książka, tak, autorka jest kobietą. To jedna z pierwszych historii boga, jakie przeczytałem. Jest oczywiście agnostykiem, którym prawdopodobnie będę, dopóki nie umrę, chyba że bóg zstąpi do mnie i całego świata wcześniej i udowodni, że istnieje. I nie boję się iść do piekła.

Istnieje krótsza, łatwa do czytania książka, MAŁA HISTORIA RELIGII autorstwa Richarda Hollowaya. Ale żadna z tych książek, ani nikt, z kim rozmawiasz lub piszesz, nie będzie w stanie „udowodnić” ci, że istnieje bóg lub nie ma go. To jest twój wniosek.  Jesteś panem i pilotem samego siebie!  

Yes, I was wrong. I mixed up concepts and words, I meant that these people were superstitious, didn't know much about the world, and were already living with magic and superstition.

Yes, I know I have to decide for myself what is true and what is not. But it is difficult to do so when there are good arguments, both Christian and atheist. I believe that both groups of people have good arguments. I cannot distinguish who is wrong and who is not.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Aibao said:

I did not expect Christians to cheat in archeology. This shocked me a little. Really, I don't know why they do it, it is the only way they denigrate themselves and discourage people from religion by their deceptions.

I'm not sure they think they are cheating.  Some are very delusional and want it to be true.  When you are so insecure that you are delusional, you can believe anything.  That is religion for some people.  Their sense of self hinges on believing it is true.  Similar to Donald Trump's belief that he won the election.  "Self" is tied to being "right".   In being the winner, like some people in the Lions Den.

• Super Moderator
24 minutes ago, Weezer said:

"Self" is tied to being "right".   In being the winner, like some people in the Lions Den.

My ears are burning. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

My ears are burning. 

The quilty dog barks first!  😁   Actually I had Johnny in mind.  Surely it does not apply to any of us exchristians.

• Haha 1

The catagory I think most of use here fit loosely into, is being somewhat obsessive/compulsive.  It is not being delusional, but we have a compulsion to get it "just right".  Have you noticed how many times I have revised my signature?  And many times I go back back and edit a post because I didn't word it just right.  And heaven forbid I mispel a word!  😁