Goodbye Jesus

Homo Naledi

DarkBishop

10 hours ago, pantheory said:

I have seen modern humans that look vey much like that.  

On 9/11/2023 at 9:27 PM, Weezer said:

I have seen modern humans that look very much like that.  

Of course it's just a re-creation from skeletal remains. Other depictions, as seen above in my postings,  are less flattering and some don't even look like the genus Homo. Such depictions look far more ancient than 350,000 years old. Most individuals were only 5 feet tall or shorter. Not as short as today's African pygmies but still pretty short for the genus Homo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Super Moderator
On 9/8/2023 at 6:56 PM, pantheory said:

Turkana Boy - Wikipedia

He looks ready to whip some a$$.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
On 9/8/2023 at 9:47 PM, DarkBishop said:

I bring it up because religious people deny it. They turn there eyes and act like it isn't true. Most deny the existence of all previous ancestors that led to Homosapiens. But they did exist. They were here. And they were not what God supposedly created in the bible. 

Therefore, they will not accept them as humans because they were more ape like. I would like one to watch this and explain using their bible how these beings existed at all in their small little bubble of belief. 

The reality is so much bigger and so much more fascinating. 

It's a pet peeve of mine because I was ignorant myself as a believer and preacher. Saying and truly believing that they had not found the missing link. But it just isn't true. They have! Lots of them. And Homo Naledi is probably one of the more interesting examples because of what looks like burial rituals. 

DB

I see a lot of dodging where the evidence points. What I mean by that is I see a lot of Christians and Muslims say stuff like, "well, we were not there, so really this is just guessing that is what the evidence points to." They act as if scientist are just winging it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hierophant said:

I see a lot of dogging where the evidence points. What I mean by that is I see a lot of Christians and Muslims say stuff like, "well, we were not there, so really this is just guessing that is what the evidence points to." They act as if scientist are just winging it.

I'd like to know how they would feel if someone came into their various professions that they have spent a lifetime doing and said..... Huh, yeah I just don't think you really know what your doing. Because the leprechaun next door told me something else. Lmao 🤣 

DB

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Because the leprechaun next door told me something else.

You can't prove the leprechaun didn't!!!

leprechauns.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Hierophant said:

He looks ready to whip some a$$.

In this depiction, the boy is in a hunting mode with his spear behind him. He is called Turkana boy. He is famous because most of his skeletal remains were found, but his species have been found all over the world including China. They guessed his skeletal remains to be a boy about age 12. In those times, roughly a million year ago, many human tribes were also cannibals concerning other tribes. Also his species, Homo Erectus, were almost as tall as modern humans and looked more like us than some human species only 300 thousand years ago.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2023 at 6:00 PM, DarkBishop said:

Christians,

This year a documentary came out on Netflix. Since most people seem to have access to Netflix I thought this a good opportunity for you to see evidence of some of the points I've made here in the den in the past. 

1. The human fossil record, there is absolutely ample evidence that we evolved from beings that were not like us. They were not human/homosapiens like you and I. These beings are just another link in the ancient family tree that eventually led to us. This is not what the Bible depicts.

2. This documentary brings out evidence of ape like ancestors showing signs of burial rituals way before other hominid species. So much so that this discovery is revolutionary. This is big. But this is not what the Bible depicts. 

Why does the bible say we bury our dead? It is because we were cursed for our transgression. Death came upon us. 

Genesis 3:19

19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Yet these creatures who do not reflect the image of God were burying their dead long before we (God reflecting) humans did. 

3. These prehistoric human ancestors and others predate the evolution of farming. Off the cuff the bible assumes that agricultural societies were always the way humans existed. It says in the first chapters of the Bible that there was no man to til the ground.

Genesis 2:5

5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

But it has only been in the past 10 thousand years that homosapiens began to farm. 

4. The evidence in our reality does not reflect the bible. Nothing we can unearth reflects the biblical narrative. Why is that? How can the bible be true? Is it not easier to see that it just isn't true? That it doesn't reflect reality? 

So watch this documentary and then please explain to me how these creatures even existed. Why doesn't the bible mention these and our other ancestors? Why did they bury their dead? Did they have a spirituality? That one opens a while new can of worms huh? Are these the creatures God created maybe? 

Best regards,

Dark Bishop

Why would such critiques matter to a non-fundalentalist Christian?

I'm an Authentic Christian Believer, and I have no beef with evolution as a scientific theory.  Apparently evolution was the method of our creation. 

So what?

13 hours ago, RankStranger said:

I'm an Authentic Christian Believer, and I have no beef with evolution as a scientific theory.  Apparently evolution was the method of our creation. 

So what?

If humans evolved then at what point in human evolution did humans sin, requiring god to become Jesus and die for those sins?

On 9/9/2023 at 8:30 PM, Weezer said:

The older I get, the more open I am to possibilities.  Many, if not most, people eventually get settled into patterns of thinking, and ignore ideas they don't agree with.

I agree.  If its one thing that being an ex-Christian has taught me, it is how to have an open mind.  I really enjoy listening to Alan Watts (though he died decades ago, I can still hear his recorded lectures on Youtube).  And I'm planning to do a psilocybin retreat next year.  Both "crazy" things I never would have entertained as a Christian. But anyway . . .I suppose this is all off-topic!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, RankStranger said:

So what?

Rank I'm not talking to you lol. You aren't an "authentic" believer. You have your own thing going on and that's cool. 

DB

On 10/1/2023 at 4:48 PM, RankStranger said:

So what?

They WOULDN'T matter to a non-fundamentalist.  Being a non-fundamentalist means you can choose which aspects of scripture you regard as true and/or binding, if any.  

However, even fundamentalists choose - or have chosen for them by their churches - what they take seriously.  Is salvation freely chosen?  Can salvation be lost?  Is baptism required?  Baptism of adults only, or of infants too?  The Bible is the author of confusion on all these serious questions.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 12:46 PM, DarkBishop said:

Rank I'm not talking to you lol. You aren't an "authentic" believer. You have your own thing going on and that's cool. 

DB

Take the Jesus out of a Baptist... and he's still a Baptist 🙄

IMO we're both Christians.  We just express it differently.

On 10/2/2023 at 6:51 AM, freshstart said:

I agree.  If its one thing that being an ex-Christian has taught me, it is how to have an open mind.  I really enjoy listening to Alan Watts (though he died decades ago, I can still hear his recorded lectures on Youtube).  And I'm planning to do a psilocybin retreat next year.  Both "crazy" things I never would have entertained as a Christian. But anyway . . .I suppose this is all off-topic!

Off-topic discussions are the best discussions :)

I think you'll have a great time, and learn a few things about yourself.  You might even reconsider a few things that you've been 'certain' about for decades 😇

• Like 2

On 10/3/2023 at 3:07 PM, TABA said:

They WOULDN'T matter to a non-fundamentalist.  Being a non-fundamentalist means you can choose which aspects of scripture you regard as true and/or binding, if any.  

However, even fundamentalists choose - or have chosen for them by their churches - what they take seriously.  Is salvation freely chosen?  Can salvation be lost?  Is baptism required?  Baptism of adults only, or of infants too?  The Bible is the author of confusion on all these serious questions.

I can't answer those questions to my own satisfaction, let alone yours.   Christians have been asking those questions for a couple thousand years.

I'm not sure how much 'choice' there is in belief, whether or not one is a fundamentalist.  It's complicated.  For instance, I can't choose to be a fundamentalist.  I've tried and failed.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, RankStranger said:

For instance, I can't choose to be a fundamentalist.  I've tried and failed.

Failed at choosing?  Or failed at being a fundamentalist?  Or failed at choosing to be a fundamentalist?  These are important distinctions. 

• Thanks 1

All of the above?

This demand for certainty seems familiar.

• Super Moderator

A request for clarity is not the same as a demand for certainty.  Again, these distinctions are important.  If you do not want to answer the question, just say so.

So what?

If humans evolved then at what point in human evolution did humans sin, requiring god to become Jesus and die for those sins?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes to answering questions Rank, is my question above sufficiently interesting to you to want to answer it?

17 hours ago, RankStranger said:

Take the Jesus out of a Baptist... and he's still a Baptist 🙄

IMO we're both Christians.  We just express it differently.

Can you clarify this? You think we are both Christians as in you and I? Or the Baptist and you?

This was a little confusing the way you worde it. 

DB

4 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Can you clarify this? You think we are both Christians as in you and I? Or the Baptist and you?

This was a little confusing the way you worde it. 

DB

Sure, I wasn't clear.  

In my experience- and I've known more than enough Baptists in my time- people of that particular denomination are pretty quick to judge who is or isn't a Christian.   Not based on the beliefs and actions of the person in question, but based on their own limited notions of what it means to be a Christian.  You appear to be doing the same thing, even with a professed disbelief in Jesus.  Take the Jesus out of a Baptist, and apparently he's still a Baptist.

And to be fair, #NotAllBaptists.  My best friend from grade school is a Baptist.  My Mom is/was a Baptist.  There are a small minority of great people in the denomination.   Seeded in among that cesspool of self-worshiping idolatrous heathens.

IMO 😇

22 hours ago, RankStranger said:

It's complicated.  For instance, I can't choose to be a fundamentalist.  I've tried and failed

Good. The critical thinking that led you away from theism was sound.  It would take a supreme effort of will - willful blindness in fact - to override all of it.  

19 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Failed at choosing?  Or failed at being a fundamentalist?  Or failed at choosing to be a fundamentalist?  These are important distinctions. 

I could make a case for any of those.  Not sure how much I'd weigh one or the other.  Why do you feel that these distinctions are important?

When I was younger (much younger) I tried to live up to my own fundamentalist notions of what a Christian *should* be.  I failed to do that.  I came to see that my fundamentalist notions were very mistaken.  I thought this meant that I was an atheist.  I'm not too sure I was correct about that.

6 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

I came to see that my fundamentalist notions were very mistaken.  I thought this meant that I was an atheist.  I'm not too sure I was correct about that.

So now you’re thinking you were never a real atheist after all?  
I’d be curious to read your “ex-timony” or other statement of non-belief, if you ever posted something like that.   

1 minute ago, TABA said:

So now you’re thinking you were never a real atheist after all?  
I’d be curious to read your “ex-timony” or other statement of non-belief, if you ever posted something like that.   

I really don't know if I was a 'real' atheist.  I don't know how one would define that, let alone prove it.

IMO only God could truly judge such a thing.  And whether or not it matters.

How would you define a 'real' atheist?