Goodbye Jesus

Is Santa A Primer For Blind Belief?

I've thought about this off and on for a long time, thought I'd see what everyone here thinks.

I don't have children, but I would say from past experiences that even a small child should be able to figure out some of the more obvious flaws with "Santa theology" right off the bat, like a fat man fitting down a chimney, or flying reindeer and elves. I remember as a child living in Florida, asking how Satnta got in, cause we never had a fireplace.

But yet, those gifts are sitting there under the tree in the morning, and they even had handwriting I didn't recongize!! (My grandfather's sloppy hand, I later discovered) I have a very clear memory of actually seeing Santa's red sleigh flying over my house, because the local news report had just "tracked" Santa with their weather radar, and he was said to be in my neighborhood. Of course, there was no flying sleigh, but I saw it, and remember it to this day, I believed so strongly.

So my thinking is that the Santa myth becoming reality the next morning is a way to sidetrack logical thinking very early in a child to the point that even when he/she knows Santa is fake, there is a seed of an "impossible things can, and do happen" meme that is planted deep in the mind that can help later when much bigger and more important contradictions come to the surface. Noting that Santa is a xtian figure (so to speak) and not Jewish or Buddhist, to me, makes it even more probable it is a ploy to get into a kids head early.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reverend AtheiStar

• AtheistMommy

• Lycorth

• Asimov

I wouldn't go so far to say the Santa was intended as such, I believe it's more likely that Santa evolved as an archetype of generousity and charity, later exploited as advertising scheme. However, I've yet to hear of any contemporary Christian theology denounce the Santa myth as harmful or counterproductive to the method of faith. Maybe adopted through convenience, but didn't originate as such. Remeber , when the Santa myth originated, faith was the rule rather than the exception. Also interesting to note that, until The Night Before Christmas, Santa was an anomoly, only mentioned in small cultural circles, certainly not as hegemonous over the Christmas spirit as he is today.

I've thought about this off and on for a long time, thought I'd see what everyone here thinks.

I don't have children, but I would say from past experiences that even a small child should be able to figure out some of the more obvious flaws with "Santa theology" right off the bat, like a fat man fitting down a chimney, or flying reindeer and elves. I remember as a child living in Florida, asking how Satnta got in, cause we never had a fireplace.

But yet, those gifts are sitting there under the tree in the morning, and they even had handwriting I didn't recongize!! (My grandfather's sloppy hand, I later discovered) I have a very clear memory of actually seeing Santa's red sleigh flying over my house, because the local news report had just "tracked" Santa with their weather radar, and he was said to be in my neighborhood. Of course, there was no flying sleigh, but I saw it, and remember it to this day, I believed so strongly.

So my thinking is that the Santa myth becoming reality the next morning is a way to sidetrack logical thinking very early in a child to the point that even when he/she knows Santa is fake, there is a seed of an "impossible things can, and do happen" meme that is planted deep in the mind that can help later when much bigger and more important contradictions come to the surface. Noting that Santa is a xtian figure (so to speak) and not Jewish or Buddhist, to me, makes it even more probable it is a ploy to get into a kids head early.

http://www.reverendatheistar.com/santa_and_the_atheist.htm

Are you going to let your children believe in Santa?

No. My wife and I have discussed this and we are totally agreed. The children’s religion of Santaism shall not be practiced in our house and neither shall the other two, which complete the trinity, Bunny Worship and Tooth Fairyanity. These faith-based belief systems, while seeming innocent, are actually very dangerous.

I don't remember exactly when my parents broke the news to me but I remember being terribly hurt. It was the kind of pain I should have felt had one of them died. It was a great pain in my heart and this is one of the reasons I'll never set up that lie in my son's head. What's the point? Isn't better for him to know that he is receiving presents from his parents and relatives than receiving a lie that says they came from some old bearded guy and his magical elves who live in the Arctic?

The parallel is undeniable between Santa and the Christian god and this is why I feel it's a dangerous lie for an Atheist parent to tell. Santa is supposed to be loving and kind. The Christian god is supposed to be loving and kind. Santa is supposed to reward you with gifts if you've been good. The Christian god is supposed to admit you to heaven if you've been good. Santa is supposed to punish you for being bad with a lump of coal for a present. The Christian god is supposed to burn you like a lump of coal for being bad. If you write Santa a letter then he is supposed to give you what's on your wish list. If you pray to the Christian god he's supposed to give you what you wish for. The belief in Santa is a gateway belief; it’s a primer to get the child’s mind ready to accept the bigger lie that follows: gods.

Instead of telling our children lies, we plan to tell them the true history of Santa and the holiday that evolved from of him. We’ll tell him that the myth is actually based on a real man, not a magical immortal being that flies through the night pulled by eight reindeer, a man who loved to see smiles on children’s faces when he gave them his handmade gifts. We’ll also tell him how the church was against the idea, xmas trees are forbidden in the bible, and all about all the other savior godmen that preceded the mythical Jesus.

By telling our children the truth, we can’t go wrong. After all, isn’t honesty the best policy?

My children never believed in Santa. I always, even as a Christian were dead honest with reality and things about life with my kids. But it took me a long time to realize the lies that I believed in myself...

I don't know many kids who are well-versed in logic unless you teach them.

I think saying that Santa is a gateway God for Jesus is like saying Marijuana is a gateway drug for Heroin...slippery slope fallacy.

I was on the other side of the fence. I was raised in a fundy home where I was not allowed to believe in santa, tooth fairy, easter bunny, etc. b/c it was worshipping a false idol. I hated it. I was told I was not allowed to talk to other kids about santa b/c it was not my place to tell them the truth, so when friends would talk about santa et al, I just felt very lonely and excluded. As I got older I felt like I really missed out on a part of childhood, and when I became a parent I decided I would let my kids believe in the fantasy of santa and the others.

At the age of four my son started using logic to argue with me about the existance of santa and the others. At first I was upset, I really wanted to live vicariously through him. But I ended up telling him the truth, with the same message I got- don't ruin it for other kids.

He still gets presents from santa and tooth fairy money, but he knows its from me. Its more of a secret pal deal, if that makes sense. He'll say thank you, and I'll say, 'what are you talking about? Thats from santa!' He'll just giggle and roll his eyes.

My take on the whole santa thing was not so much bribery from a supernatural being, just more of a magical fantasy. I have always loved fantasy stories, science fiction, etc. I went through a phase as a kid where I loved stories about fairies, witches, magic, etc. I was about 8 and had to hide it from my mom, obviously. I just saw santa as another way to inspire imagination. Didn't quite work out the way I planned, but I had a good run for a year or two. :)

I think saying that Santa is a gateway God for Jesus is like saying Marijuana is a gateway drug for Heroin...slippery slope fallacy.

Marijuana can easily be a gateway drug. It was for me. I smoked marijuana first. I ended up doing other drugs that were similar such as LSD, psylocybin and yes, heroin -- just not the injectable kind. I sniffed it. But without that first drug and the pleasurable experince it gave me, I would have been so interested in trying the rest of the family.

Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy all teach chilkdren to believe in magic, far off mystical lands, and morality in exchange for material rewards. This trains the young brain to think magically. ONce in this style of thinking all the god/soul/afterlife/miracle bullshit sounds logical! Why? Beacuse it's backed by other stories you already fully believe in. When Santa was taken away from me (it felt like he was executed) the world looked entirely different. Magic disappered and was replaced with simple illusions. In short, the end of Santa was the beginning of the end of my god.

This is true. They lack what I like to call a "logical filter." Just about anything seems to be true because you don't know any better. You don't have an accurate frame of reference. Without an adequate level of experience in how reality really works, you just don't know.

I was on the other side of the fence. I was raised in a fundy home where I was not allowed to believe in santa, tooth fairy, easter bunny, etc. b/c it was worshipping a false idol. I hated it. I was told I was not allowed to talk to other kids about santa b/c it was not my place to tell them the truth, so when friends would talk about santa et al, I just felt very lonely and excluded. As I got older I felt like I really missed out on a part of childhood, and when I became a parent I decided I would let my kids believe in the fantasy of santa and the others.

I personally loved the Santa myth when I was part of it. I took it more seriously than I took Christainity, really. I was a total fundy! When Santa was explained away, I was heartbroken. When I deconverted, I was ecstatic!

At the age of four my son started using logic to argue with me about the existance of santa and the others. At first I was upset, I really wanted to live vicariously through him. But I ended up telling him the truth, with the same message I got- don't ruin it for other kids.

Sounds like my son. He's always arguing with us, asking how things work, what's inside this or that, what something evolved from, etc. He's a little brainiac, but he's lazy and very hyper at the same time. He loses interest. If he could only channel what he as! But alas, he's four. He has time. I just wish he was more interested in learning how to read.

He still gets presents from santa and tooth fairy money, but he knows its from me. Its more of a secret pal deal, if that makes sense. He'll say thank you, and I'll say, 'what are you talking about? Thats from santa!' He'll just giggle and roll his eyes.

lol... We don't do any of that. We do Solstice, Valentine's Day and birthdays. My parents and my in-laws do Christmas and Easter and so they get both.

My take on the whole santa thing was not so much bribery from a supernatural being, just more of a magical fantasy. I have always loved fantasy stories, science fiction, etc. I went through a phase as a kid where I loved stories about fairies, witches, magic, etc. I was about 8 and had to hide it from my mom, obviously. I just saw santa as another way to inspire imagination. Didn't quite work out the way I planned, but I had a good run for a year or two. :)

Fantasy is nice, just as long as it comes with a warning. It's not real. Don't get trapped in the game. I encourage my son to dream and imagine but remind him it's imaginary.

I realize that, but what I'm saying is that, eventually a child will start to question when his "logic filters" start comming online. It seems to be around the age of 4 that this happens. Now, if it was just a story, like Star Wars, then I wouldn't be thinking of it along the lines of a primer for fundieism. Much as I tried as a kid, I was unable to tap into the Force and become a Jedi. It was imaginary. If, however, one day my lightsaber leapt from the table and flew across the room into my hand, I would have a hard time seeing it as fantasy.

But the Santa myth is reinforced through not just presents and family traditions, but from news reports tracking Santa with radar, etc. Thus it has that "approved by grown ups" sticker on it. I also was not trying to say it is a xtian invention intended for brainwashing kids early, just that it is a sort of convienent way to warp kids into fantasy-is-reality land early. If they believe the impossible is possible before the "logic filters" boot up, then there is a meme deposited leaving the possibility of taking religious claims literallylater in life.

At least, that's what I was trying to say! :)

I fear neither Santa nor religion; I see no problem with either and my kids will have both. I don't see anything to worry about :shrug:

I fear neither Santa nor religion; I see no problem with either and my kids will have both. I don't see anything to worry about :shrug:

To each his own. My kids will have neither. They'll know, however, all about as many religions as I can teach them about. My son already knows about some gods and goddesses and how they're primitive explanations for natural phenomena. He knows they're just imaginary. We've taught him about the origin of the Santa myth and how he was most likely a real person who lived hundreds of years ago, but bears little relation to the man invented by the Coca-Cola company! I prefer to teach my kids the truth. A magical flying Santa is a lie. A magical flying Tooth Fairy is a lie. A giant mutant bunny who lays colored eggs is a lie. Gods and goddesses portrayed as anything more than imaginary are lies. I will not lie to my children.

I will not lie to my children.

That's fine, but just don't bring up your kids to think that others who don't have a beef with Santa (of all things) are deluded superstitionists. In other words, be careful that you don't act like a (Atheist) fundy.

It's just a freakin' story :shrug:

I don't have any kids, but if I did, I most certainly would allow them to believe in Santa ... and the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy, and whatever else tiny tots enjoy. I remember I had a lot of fun with these ideas until my big brother spoiled it for me. I think that, rather than being a primer for blind belief, an early-childhood belief in Santa could help set up some healthy skeptism -- that is, when the myth is ultimately shattered, it shows that impossible things can't be real and that the popularity of a story doesn't prove its veracity. Giving up fantasy can be the first step to critical thinking.

I don't have any kids, but if I did, I most certainly would allow them to believe in Santa ... and the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy, and whatever else tiny tots enjoy. I remember I had a lot of fun with these ideas until my big brother spoiled it for me. I think that, rather than being a primer for blind belief, an early-childhood belief in Santa could help set up some healthy skeptism -- that is, when the myth is ultimately shattered, it shows that impossible things can't be real and that the popularity of a story doesn't prove its veracity. Giving up fantasy can be the first step to critical thinking.

I agree - especially in that belief in Santa can be a great primer for critical thinking. Most kids end up doubting Santa before they are told that he isn't real. I was like that. I used to be very big on Santa and on being good so I could get lots of gifts. When I began to have doubts and saw little proofs that it was most likely my parents who were behind it all, I was not crushed. I liked actually figuring out something, and especially seeing that it wasn't bad at all when the make-believe was removed.

I feel it only encourage my high level of curiosity as a child, and showed me that it's OK to question things, no matter how you initially feel about them. Plus, I have only good memories of when I did believe. I liked the anticipation, the wondering, the mystery of pondering what Santa was really like and what I might get this year. It wasn't stressful or problematic. It's just a fun little folktale that I can't see any harm in.

I agree that belief in Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy primes kids to be critial thinkers. It's a lot of fun to see them all excited too.

My 14 y/o recently came home from school and announced to me there is no god or at least a god in the way people think of one. She has been studying the Holocaust in school and it has deeply affected her. She said to me that if there was a god it would never have let that happen.

I'm only glad I am not a Christain any longer, because I don't know how I could have done the mental gymnastics to explain away the holocaust. Kids naturally see through illogical thinking better than most adults do. They are a lot wiser than we give them credit for.

Taph

I will not lie to my children.

That's fine, but just don't bring up your kids to think that others who don't have a beef with Santa (of all things) are deluded superstitionists. In other words, be careful that you don't act like a (Atheist) fundy.

It's just a freakin' story :shrug:

Ask my wife, I am an Atheist fundy. I've never used the words "deluded superstitionist," though. I just tell him that some people believe in this stuff. Ask him about Santa, though, and he'll tell you plainly "He's dead." We didn't coach him on that, either. My wife just told him about the history of Santa and mentioned that he lived and died hundreds of years ago. The rest was him.

Marijuana can easily be a gateway drug. It was for me. I smoked marijuana first. I ended up doing other drugs that were similar such as LSD, psylocybin and yes, heroin -- just not the injectable kind. I sniffed it. But without that first drug and the pleasurable experince it gave me, I would have been so interested in trying the rest of the family.

And sometimes it's other things. It's not THE primer for other drugs, nor is it always a primer for other drugs. I've smoked marijuana, never really been interested in trying other things, I've drank, never really been interested in maintaining any type of drinking habit. I've tried smoking, same goes for that.

Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy all teach chilkdren to believe in magic, far off mystical lands, and morality in exchange for material rewards. This trains the young brain to think magically. ONce in this style of thinking all the god/soul/afterlife/miracle bullshit sounds logical! Why? Beacuse it's backed by other stories you already fully believe in.

I disagree with that idea. It may be true for some people, I can't deny that possibility, I just don't think it's the norm that allowing children to be pulled into imaginary worlds, magic and the like breed ignorance. Healthy imaginations are just as essential to the development of a child as is an actual incorporation into the real world. Besides, you can get into the tradition without getting into the magic. You can get into the spirit without pulling the facade, and you can teach your children the history behind it without describing it as something that actually happens now.

I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your kids, I just think it's a little "other-extreme" to entirely deny fantasy if the kid wants to believe in it. Letting kids figure things out for themselves and understand the world in their own way is important too, without outright lying to them.

Fantasy is nice, just as long as it comes with a warning. It's not real. Don't get trapped in the game. I encourage my son to dream and imagine but remind him it's imaginary.

Unless you're totally fucked in the head I'm pretty sure it's nearly impossible for that to happen. Real life has a way of making you face it sooner or later.

I realize that, but what I'm saying is that, eventually a child will start to question when his "logic filters" start comming online. It seems to be around the age of 4 that this happens. Now, if it was just a story, like Star Wars, then I wouldn't be thinking of it along the lines of a primer for fundieism. Much as I tried as a kid, I was unable to tap into the Force and become a Jedi. It was imaginary. If, however, one day my lightsaber leapt from the table and flew across the room into my hand, I would have a hard time seeing it as fantasy.

But the Santa myth is reinforced through not just presents and family traditions, but from news reports tracking Santa with radar, etc. Thus it has that "approved by grown ups" sticker on it. I also was not trying to say it is a xtian invention intended for brainwashing kids early, just that it is a sort of convienent way to warp kids into fantasy-is-reality land early. If they believe the impossible is possible before the "logic filters" boot up, then there is a meme deposited leaving the possibility of taking religious claims literallylater in life.

At least, that's what I was trying to say! :)

It just sounds so callous to me....

"Hey dad, wanna meet my new friend?"

"Where is he?"

"Right here! His names Joe!"

"Uh, no he isn't. Joe doesn't exist, son."

"Yes he does, I can see him!"

"No, you think you can see him because you're imagining he's there, but he's not"

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

:lmao:

And sometimes it's other things. It's not THE primer for other drugs, nor is it always a primer for other drugs. I've smoked marijuana, never really been interested in trying other things, I've drank, never really been interested in maintaining any type of drinking habit. I've tried smoking, same goes for that.

I agree. That's why I said it can be. Any drug can.

I disagree with that idea. It may be true for some people, I can't deny that possibility, I just don't think it's the norm that allowing children to be pulled into imaginary worlds, magic and the like breed ignorance. Healthy imaginations are just as essential to the development of a child as is an actual incorporation into the real world. Besides, you can get into the tradition without getting into the magic. You can get into the spirit without pulling the facade, and you can teach your children the history behind it without describing it as something that actually happens now.

My son imagines all the time. I don't see why Santa, magical elves or flying reindeer are needed for anything. The number of things that can be imagined is limitless! For instance, he loves Harry Potter. He loves ot pretend he is him. But he knows that magic isn't real.

I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your kids, I just think it's a little "other-extreme" to entirely deny fantasy if the kid wants to believe in it. Letting kids figure things out for themselves and understand the world in their own way is important too, without outright lying to them.

You can have fanasy without lying to your kids. I can't see any good reason to tell him something is true when it isn't. It's dishonest and I won't do it. Give him a box and he'll see it as a cr, a boat, a cave, a robot, a hat or any number of things! Why would I need Santa?

Unless you're totally fucked in the head I'm pretty sure it's nearly impossible for that to happen. Real life has a way of making you face it sooner or later.

I'd rather give my children reality now. I want them to know the way the world really operates. I want them to know science. It's fine if they imagine. I fully encourage that. But there's a difference between imagining and believing something completely false is true directly because of a lie perpertrated by your parents. I won't be that guilty party.

All I know is that my devoutly Christian mother never fostered a belief in Santa Claus in either my brother or I, and I can honestly say neither of us ever believed in him, or the Tooth Fairy, or the Easter Bunny. It was all due to the fact that my mother steadfastly believed in Santa Claus until somebody broke her the bad news when she was fourteen. She was so crushed she vowed to never lead her own children on like that.

All I know is that my devoutly Christian mother never fostered a belief in Santa Claus in either my brother or I, and I can honestly say neither of us ever believed in him, or the Tooth Fairy, or the Easter Bunny. It was all due to the fact that my mother steadfastly believed in Santa Claus until somebody broke her the bad news when she was fourteen. She was so crushed she vowed to never lead her own children on like that.

You know, the same thing happened to me. When my parents finally took me aside and told me, even though I suspected it, it was like they told me he had been killed. I just wanted to burst into tears, but held it back. It's like I had been a person living back when Kennedy was shot. Where were you when Santa was killed?

Ask my wife, I am an Atheist fundy.....

Yes, that much is quite clear. And, sorry, you're beginning to be

almost as tiresome as the christian ones. What percentage of

children who believe in Santa Claus do you really think will grow

up to be Christians? Do you have proof of this? Your argument

almost sounds like the fundy christian argument, that everyone

who looks at porn will end up raping women. Yeah, sure, right....

I don't begrudge you your right to raise your kids the way you

best see fit, and I really see no reason why an atheist should

induce his or her kids to believe in Santa Claus. However, your

position strikes me as being a bit petty and rigid. I think there

are bigger problems in this world than children believing in

Santa.

:shrug:

Yes, that much is quite clear. And, sorry, you're beginning to be

almost as tiresome as the christian ones.

I have to be me. This is the way I feel. It's my personality. When I get into something I dive headlong. I have a very obsessive persoanlity and plenty of people have asked me if I was ever diagnosed with OCD. No, but I never went to anyone about it, nor would I. I love being me!

What percentage of children who believe in Santa Claus do you really think will grow

up to be Christians? Do you have proof of this?

I have no idea. I just know what I know based on personal experience, nothing more.

Your argument almost sounds like the fundy christian argument, that everyone who looks at porn will end up raping women. Yeah, sure, right....

lol... That's funny. You're more likely to develop a porn addiction than anything else. Nah, I really try my best to avoid silly absolutes like that. I think that the Santa myth is dangerous simply because it adds to the Christian superstructure. Once Santa fell in my mind, so did magic and many years later the god program crumbled, as well. Personally, I would have rather been told the truth in the first place. This is what I have done for my children. Isn't that waht most parents do? They try to change things that bothered them as children.

I don't begrudge you your right to raise your kids the way you best see fit, and I really see no reason why an atheist should induce his or her kids to believe in Santa Claus. However, your

position strikes me as being a bit petty and rigid.

Petty? It's not petty to me. It's very important. Setting up a young mind properly is one of the most important things, as a parent, that you can do. Giving them a false worldview from the start sems like sabotage to me.

I think there are bigger problems in this world than children believing in Santa.

I agree. But I don't see why that invalidates my position. Can't we work on all the problems? It's not like this is all I ever think about. It's but one tiny facet.

You know, the same thing happened to me. When my parents finally took me aside and told me, even though I suspected it, it was like they told me he had been killed. I just wanted to burst into tears, but held it back. It's like I had been a person living back when Kennedy was shot. Where were you when Santa was killed?

It took her years to get over it. I'm grateful to her for not teaching me to believe in commercial holiday icons.

What percentage of children who believe in Santa Claus do you really think will grow

I have no idea. I just know what I know based on personal experience, nothing more.

And my personal experience is that a lot of kids who believe in Santa

when they're younger grow out of it without too much difficulty. Many

of them don't grow up to be particularly religious, either. But arguing

from personal experience doesn't really prove the point, one way or

another.

another.

I agree; there's nothing remotely "dangerous" about the Santa myth and no evidence to suggest there is.

And this is exactly like Xian fundies ranting and raving about the imaginary dangers of Halloween. The similarities between this thread and Xian fundygelical sermons are strong, to me. It all stems from people getting uptight about things that do not matter.

And it's usually the same fundies who are against the Santa myth because they recognize it for what it is - a non-Babblical, non-Xian addition to the Xmas season.

Rev, you're a smart guy, but this is a very dumb thread.

another.

I think that it doesn't prove that it will happen to everyone, but I never said that. My point was that it can be a dangerous belief to teach your children. That point is proven, imo. I suppose my hypothesis needs some augmentation from supporting studies, but can this kind of thing be found? Has this work been done?