Goodbye Jesus

Abortion...

Lizard

Variable: unless it is a barrier method, like an IUD made of copper, all hormone birth control methods have the POTENTIAL to cause a very early abortion. It is not considered an abortion by most because the zygote has not implanted yet, but the egg is fertilized in some cases. A progestin-only birth control is the only one much less likely than the rest to work this way.

Edit to addL This is part of the reason many modern Catholics who use other forms of BC are still against hormonal birth control... it's always a possibility.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LadyFeline

• pandora

• Golden Meadows

• Variable

Interesting thoughts on abortion.

Anyways, I'm pro choice. But I've always been pro choice, even when I was going to church. This is one of the reasons why I left Christianity, even though I'm sure there pro choice Christians. Just not at my church.

I have various reasons as to why I am pro choice. For one, I'm sick of teenage girls getting pregnant and not knowing ways they could have protected themselves, so they won't have to face the decision of an abortion. Two, I was raised to believe that abortion was the "easy way out" for women. But I didn't believe this for a second, choosing to have an abortion can never be an easy choice. Three, there are going to be women who feel they need to terminate their pregnacies. It is better to allow women access to a safe an legal abortion. Finally, I feel that abortion has been politicized too much. Alot of women who get abortions probably are niether pro choice or pro life, they just found themselves in a desparete situation and feel that abortion is the best option for them. Who am I to judge them?

My thoughts are the same as they were before.

Abortion is something that you would like to be uncommon in a society, but still available.

As for when they should be allowed, I submit that it's mostly an uninteresting question to ask, and only comes up because of the pro-life folks.

If abortion was commonly and easily available, the vast majority of women would have abortions as early as possible. It's a lot safer then, and having the pregnancy terminated earlier rather than later is a desirable outcome.

The pro-life groups are really anti-sex groups. If they were truly interested in reducing the number of abortions, they would support contraceptive and sex education. But for many of them, they view pregnancy (and HIV and other STDs) as punishment for wicked behavior.

It's really obvious what you should do if you want to reduce the number of abortions. Take a look at the European countries. Holland has an abortion rate 1/3 of the US rate.

My thoughts are the same as they were before.

Abortion is something that you would like to be uncommon in a society, but still available.

As for when they should be allowed, I submit that it's mostly an uninteresting question to ask, and only comes up because of the pro-life folks.

If abortion was commonly and easily available, the vast majority of women would have abortions as early as possible. It's a lot safer then, and having the pregnancy terminated earlier rather than later is a desirable outcome.

The pro-life groups are really anti-sex groups. If they were truly interested in reducing the number of abortions, they would support contraceptive and sex education. But for many of them, they view pregnancy (and HIV and other STDs) as punishment for wicked behavior.

It's really obvious what you should do if you want to reduce the number of abortions. Take a look at the European countries. Holland has an abortion rate 1/3 of the US rate.

That's true, also most European societies are very open about sex. From my understanding it seems that in Europe parents know that teenagers will have sex. They just want to make sure they're safe. But it seems that some parents here in the US are so uncomfortable with the idea of your teenage kids having sex to the point where they won't even talk to them about condoms or any other contraceptive devices. That's why this whole abortion debate is about, sure you provide evidence of how effective Sex Educaion is but the main concern is "well teenagers shouldn't have sex in the first place." That may very well be true, but they are. This is an issue of public health not morality.