Goodbye Jesus

Favorite Christian Songs!

white_raven23

People have been mentioning songs lately.....hence this thread. What are some favorites of yours that you used to LOVE singing.....but would just stick in your craw and creep you out all over NOW?

Here's one of mine....

"I've got my feet shod,

With the proclamation of peace.

I've got my sword of spirit,

got my shield of faith.

I've got my breastplate of righteousness,

my helmet of salvation.

I put on my armor,

and I'm ready for the battle."

I was thinking of this song the other day, and Shiela Broflowski popped into my head screaming "WHAT WHAT...WHAT!!!" (South Park....Kyle's mom).

I mean....LOOK at that! Just look at that! Peace on my feet! And prepping for battle!? AAAAGHH!!! :eek:

I can imagine what this song might translate into in Arabic.....and some radical muslim humming the damn thing while walking into an American Embassy with a bomb strapped to his body!

Or even some religious christian nut humming that shit while planting a bomb at a family planning clinic!

Scary Freaking Songs!!!!!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pandora

• white_raven23

• Ouroboros

• imageownershipproblem

Everytime I hear any of them I get embarrassed. It is like a flashback.

The worst was when a church around here that my hubby and I visited played "Onward Christian Soldiers" the day the Iraq bombing began.

I came across a TFN thread a while back... some guy quoted "Battle Hymn of the Republic" in a soldier of god thread.

I was absolutly horrified... like seeing "March of the Pigs" play out on CNN... and if you know the lyrics, you know that's no exaggeration. Then someone else quoted the song again! Like we didn't hear it the FIRST time!

Step right up...

Merlin

i used to listen to lots of christian metal (sounds odd doesn't it?) Extol was a great band, as was Crimson Thorn.. i love "Undeceived" and "Time Stands Still" by Extol.

My favorite and it doesn't make me shudder. I still sing it even cause I like the tune. Maybe I should make new lyrics some day. I always especially liked the last verse.

I'll Fly Away

Some glad morning when this life is over,

I'll fly away.

To a home on God's celestial shore,

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away.

When I die, Hallelujah, bye and bye,

I'll fly away.

When the shadows of this life have flown,

I'll fly away.

Like a bird thrown, driven by the storm,

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

Just a few more weary days and then,

I'll fly away.

To a land where joy shall never end,

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

My favorite and it doesn't make me shudder.  I still sing it even cause I like the tune.  Maybe I should make new lyrics some day.  I always especially liked the last verse.

I'll Fly Away

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I agree with you... I loved that tune as well. I normally don't like that style, maybe it is associated with joyous occassions in my subconscious. The church I went to sang it after every baptism (adult immersion, of course).

I can now sing it in an annhiliation context, and it doesn't bother me. LOL

My favorite and it doesn't make me shudder.  I still sing it even cause I like the tune.  Maybe I should make new lyrics some day.  I always especially liked the last verse.

I'll Fly Away........

*sigh* *receiving a warm fuzzy feeling*

I cannot object to that one either. There really isn't anything offensive or war-mongering in those lyrics at all. What's nice is there isn't anything specifically christian in them either. :grin:

My favorite christian songs were by christian rock bands and they all had to do with self hate and not being good enough for god. I felt when listening that I had something in common with the artists.

Kinda like how I feel here on this site.

Anyway, I still like most of them, except for the ones that specifically target Jesus. Interestingly enough, some of those still make me cry. The emotional heartstrings are there still even though I know the words are empty and in fact, destructive. The idea of hating what god made you is pretty sick now that I think about it. He fucking made you that way, it's his fault. Not yours, not satan's, his.

"This Little Light of Mine" used to be my favorite when I was a kid. Now, I wince when I hear it.

The Fly Away song is on the soundtrack for "Oh Brother Where Art Thou." My parents have it, and occassionally like to listen to it when I am visiting. Those songs drive me up the wall because I get them stuck in me head...at least til I get to my car and turn on the rock station.

Guest JP1283

I still like "Dare You to Move" by Switchfoot. They're a Christian rock band. Not really a Jesus-y song but talkins about redemption/salvation, etc.

Wow, I really am healing.

I remember the feelings of the moment but not what triggered me to storm out of the room, slam the door, and say "I just want to be by myself for a minute! I'm not mad at you!" when I decided to uninstall all my Bible software, which took hours and hours to download over 56K, and delete about two or three gigs of xtian music I used to love.

Now I see the topic of this thread and about all I can say is "Rich somethingoranother....Mullens? Yea, that's it. I used to listen to him a lot and a bunch of others. Forget the names, though."

Mostly what appealed to me was the super-sappy I'd do anything for you, rip out my own heart with my still-beating hands and smear my HIV- blood all over the internet just to prove my love for you kind of stuff that you'd be embarassed to admit liking if it was about romantic love between a man and a woman (or between a man and a man, a woman and a woman, a man and a farm animal, a woman and a dildo....blah blah blah) but somehow it's okay to get that worked up about an imaginary friend???

:loser::loser::loser:

Sheesh, if my musical tastes hadn't reverted to classic rock and expanded to alternative and classical and metal and anything good no matter how incongruous my collection is now, I might seriously consider standing on a street corner with a cardboard sign that said "Will work for psychiatric treatment."

:lmao:

My favorite christian songs were by christian rock bands and they all had to do with self hate and not being good enough for god.  I felt when listening that I had something in common with the artists.

Kinda like how I feel here on this site.

Anyway, I still like most of them, except for the ones that specifically target Jesus.  Interestingly enough, some of those still make me cry.  The emotional heartstrings are there still even though I know the words are empty and in fact, destructive.  The idea of hating what god made you is pretty sick now that I think about it.  He fucking made you that way, it's his fault.  Not yours, not satan's, his.

Of course, when I was young, I liked DC Talk and Newsboys, and a few of the harder Christian rock bands (I have since forgotten their names since it was a new thing and I was younger, like 9-12). IN high school and the beginning of college I liked Caedmon's Call, Jars of Clay,Burlap to Cashmere, Sixpence None the Richer, and Third Day. There are still some good Jars of Clay and Caedmon's Call. But I learned from a friend whose mother is deep into the Christian entertainment industry that the politics in Christian music is worse than in secular.

I still like "Dare You to Move" by Switchfoot.  They're a Christian rock band.  Not really a Jesus-y song but talkins about redemption/salvation, etc.

Switchfoot... ah yes, I bought their CD when I was a Christian and then when I heard their song on secular radio a few months back, I was extremely creeped out. LOL

I loved Jennifer Knapp too, so I can relate to the whole self-loathing thing that JP brought up... sad, isnt it?!?!

after being introducted to a band called rasputina...a "goth rock" band...with lots of haunting cello music...I started looking everywhere for strings that weren't "classical" I discovered the "string quartet tribute" series of CDs.

They have them for NIN, Incubus, Switchfoot (which is a good band even though christian far be it from me to discriminate based on superstition a good band...i mean hell, godsmack has a wiccan singer and wicca annoys me more than christianity in most cases.), radiohead, the killers, there are a lot more...do an amazon search for it if you like instrumental strings.

Ohhh... I love radiohead. LOL You know, I have a fetish for male vampires too. I think it was a combo of Interview with the vampire coming out when I was just noticing guys and the reason you mentioned, the creepy Xtian songs. ROFL

Okay, I must admit I liked some pansy music like Rich Mullins too.

Our God is an awesome god...

blah blah from heaven above

with wisdom pwr and light

blah blah blah

When he rolls up his sleaves, he aint just puttin on the ritz

da da da ...

ROFLMAO I forgot how ridiculous the lyrics were!

I think I liked vampires from Buffy...Spike and Angel.  they were hot and sexy, the epitomy of the bad boy...they  might fuck you or eat you you never knew which lol.  all super human and tough.  *sigh*

Oh. I like the long haired kind. I used to fantasize about getting bit on the neck as foreplay. LOL

I'll Fly Away

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I like this one too. I still play it on the piano sometimes.

Poker Face.. Tunes for the Second American Revolution..

On their music portion of site they have a song, "I'd Rather Die Than Be Your Slave".. Kinda ironic seeing that they are for most part a religious_sort of band..

They DO have an asskicking sound, dammned decent tunes, and a amessage to music that I like..

This song is probably the most played MP3 I have.. Liked it so much I've added al their CD's to my rack..

n

Our god is an awesome god he reigns from heaven above with wisdom power and love our god is an awesome god.

When he rolls up his sleeves he ain't just puttin on the ritz...our god is an awesome god...there is thunder in his footsteps and lightning in his wrists...our god is an awesome god.

The lord wasn't jokin when he kicked em out of eden, it wasn't for no reason that the shed his blood (see, more blood), da da da da da da so you better be believin that our god is an awesome god...

it sounds like an alvin and the chipmunks song

ROFLMAO

WE sang "there is thunder in his footsteps and lighting in his FISTS." You better be scared cuz god's gonna beat you up if you don't straighten up!

LOL

Guest JP1283
Our god is an awesome god he reigns from heaven above with wisdom power and love our god is an awesome god.

When he rolls up his sleeves he ain't just puttin on the ritz...our god is an awesome god...there is thunder in his footsteps and lightning in his wrists...our god is an awesome god.

The lord wasn't jokin when he kicked em out of eden, it wasn't for no reason that the shed his blood (see, more blood), da da da da da da so you better be believin that our god is an awesome god...

it sounds like an alvin and the chipmunks song

GAG ME! I used to see the commercial for the "Songs for Worship" CD while watching my soaps. "Our God is an Awesome God" was one of the songs the big crowd would sing as they swayed with their hands in the air. What crappy music.

My ex-best friend's mother constantly listens to Christian music (probably because she's a fatass fundy bi-atch) and it was really bad. I don't understand how people can enjoy it. I would be in the car with them and that's all she would play. It was hell when we'd be driving for a long time.

I still like "Dare You to Move" by Switchfoot.  They're a Christian rock band.  Not really a Jesus-y song but talkins about redemption/salvation, etc.

I love Switchfoot as well. I don't even care that they play Christian rock, it's damn good music. I'll be buying a copy of their album the next chance I get - I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Ahhh!!

"Kumbaya my Lord. "

WTF does Kumbayah actually mean? Does it mean you totally rock, or your the man? I sung that song so many times - I still don't get it.

oh... wait a minute. I've just answered my own question. Better make that a rhetorical question. It means Come by here....how lame arse is that!!

http://www.songsforteaching.com/folk/kumbayah.htm

In fact so does the website.

Praise the _ _ _ _ _ (still waiting on logical proof for insertion)!!!

Now years of toture are over - that song really did suck big time.

:woohoo:

Colored People ------DC Talk

Guest pokerkid
Poker Face.. Tunes for the Second American Revolution..

On their music portion of site they have a song, "I'd Rather Die Than Be Your Slave".. Kinda ironic seeing that they are for most part a religious_sort of band..

They DO have an asskicking sound, dammned decent tunes, and a amessage to music that I like..

This song is probably the most played MP3 I have.. Liked it so much I've added all their CD's to my rack..

n

Thanks Nivek for sharing our web link

PokerFace music website for the music

PF Forum board for the politiks

with the folks here on this forum..

Poker Face is a Christian-Political Protest Rock Band in the flavours of Alice in Chains Meets led Zep with multiple harmonies..

From reading a lot of posts on this site, it seems that many posters have been injured by the religious bureaucracies that parade around as a faith. Most churches that i have ever been in, never taught the WORD of YHVH, just reinterpreted man-god sermons coming from the pulpit. Evul does its best work in the houses of worship, where the sheep have their guard down, and dont expect the preacher to be fleecing them when he should be feeding them.

Poker Face is very concerned about the 4th Reich of the rich that is growing every day in this once semi free country of ours. Tyrrany and the police state are the only growth iindustrys. Star Wars 3 is timely and some what prophetic piece

where

dick cheney = Darth Sidious

bush jr = Darth Vader

clone army = al ciaduh

general Grevious - Al Zarqari (sp?)

Count Dooku = Osama Bin Boogeyman

America is like the queen where she is about to die

Check out our tunes. We are the new face of protest rock for the new millenium. Remember, the Red and Blue parties are the two colors of the same face of oppression growing in Amerika today. :woohoo:

peace

Any Petra other than one CD they did which name escapes me now...

There's actually some good Christian music out there IMO that I listen to anyway. Older Deliverance, for example or Jonah 33, some Barren Cross, Seventh Angel, or POD.

So long as the music isn't preachy or it has a good beat or rhythm, I'll still listen to it.

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Cheffy,

I'm really glad that you included the title to this song in your post.

If it wasn't for you doing that, I don't think I ever would have figured

out the name. :scratch:

I'll Fly Away

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away.