• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Kuroikaze

• GraphicsGuy

• Brother Jeff

I agree with White Raven. If I said "bugger" in the most fundy of US churches no one would bat an eye or know what it means. Though, if I said that same word in a chruch in England people would be shocked and horrified I'd dare say that word in god's house.

I love English cuss words. I like to call some good ole boy here a "wanker" and watch him go HUH? I need a a good list though. All I really know are wanker, tosser, and bugger.

It has nothing to do with being weak or a coward for those who love to draw baseless conclusions about others. In fact, I find it kind of cowardly to hide behind a computer screen and cuss out a man who could probably take your head off if you were standing in front of him and you spoke that way in front of his mother or wife or children. Or if you spoke to him that way after he warned you not to.

First off, MOST people would not embarass someone in front of their family. That would be grounds for a fight. But "assuming" to think you could "probably" take someone's head off, is totally insane. I have found that kids normally make this type of statement. It's the "I'm indestructible" mentality that you get with youth. I remember me, 20+ years ago, big as a house, nice build, even went through a "steriods" era back then. BACK THEN I would have made this type of statement, because as a kid I thought I could whomp everyone I encountered.

Truth is your "probably" is based yet again on imagination, like pretty much everything else about your belief system. And I am seeing many clues, having raised two kids to adults, that you yourself are very much still a kid with a lot of growing up left to do.

Michael,

I am far from a kid and have raised a few of my own, also. Once again, I am taken out of context with the old cut and paste routine. I was told that I was a coward because I did not like to hear foul language. I responded that many men would fight if such language was used in front of their wife or kids or them after being warned and the coward is one who does something that might get their head taken off in person behind the safety of a computer screen. Most people who resort to such cowardly acts would not do so in person if another man warned them not to. That was my point. You yourself admit that it would generate a fight if someone said similar things in front of their children and my 15 year old reads on here too. So there you have it. I continue to let him use my log in and password so he can see the fruit of a life without God in your language. It is not like he does not hear the same at school. But as his father, I just do not like it. You all have expressed that you are not willing to change your language for the sake of those who would be offended by such vulgarities so the case in closed qas far as I am concerned. Just do not take me out of context and say I threatened anyone with physical violence while making a point of what a coward really is.

John

So there you have it. I continue to let him use my log in and password so he can see the fruit of a life without God in your language. It is not like he does not hear the same at school. But as his father, I just do not like it

Are you for real? If you think that a fuck here and a shit there is bad fruit when juxtaposed against the average self-righteous, guilt-invoking, stretch-the-imagination nonsense that comes from the pulpit and the bible itself, then you need a serious priority adjustment. And hate to tell you, but your 15 yo, who likely lives in a place you haven't visited recently, a place called reality, is just stroking your ego if he/she is telling you they agree with your position while thinking to themselves "old man needs to lighten up."

The biggest problem here John is that you assume it is your job to come here and moralize to us. First and foremost you have a long way to go before you prove your sense of morality is superior to ours. Second, who the fuck are you to tell another adult, or anyone else for that matter, how to behave in public?

I mean no offense, though I'm sure it will be taken as such anyway. I mean only to provoke thought.

I agree with White Raven. If I said "bugger" in the most fundy of US churches no one would bat an eye or know what it means. Though, if I said that same word in a chruch in England people would be shocked and horrified I'd dare say that word in god's house.

I love English cuss words. I like to call some good ole boy here a "wanker" and watch him go HUH? I need a a good list though. All I really know are wanker, tosser, and bugger.

Xandermac,

I live in Leicestershire in the UK, thought you might like this one to add to your list, this is an insult that is I think unique to the county - 'mardy arsed bleeder' - the 'mardy' bit indicates moodiness or sulleness. It goes well with 'bugger' as well - as in, 'he's a mardy little bugger'

Damn me! someone else who calls someone a 'mardy arse'...

completle off topic, do you know what a 'vardy taste in yer mouth' is?

Xander, sweetness heart

If you like I can try and scratch up some reasonable English insults... although some may not be 'current'... I can go back to the time of Shakespeare for foulness :)

Time now....for a quote from a most excellent movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0356150/quotes

Eurotrip

Hooligan: So I tell the swamp donkey to sock it before I give her a trunky in the tradesman's entrance and have her lick me yarbles!

[laughs]

Cooper: Wow. You guys are on a completely different level of swearing here.

Class!

Damn me! someone else who calls someone a 'mardy arse'...

completle off topic, do you know what a 'vardy taste in yer mouth' is?

ahhh the little things we have in common! I'm more likely to be called it than use it!

Nope, vardy taste in yer mouth is a new one on me - is it a scunthorpe special of some kind?

Xander, sweetness heart

If you like I can try and scratch up some reasonable English insults... although some may not be 'current'... I can go back to the time of Shakespeare for foulness :)

When I saw Xndermac's comment I have to say - I thought of you!

vardy - metallic/coppery taste. Imagine the after taste of having a Britannia Penny in your mouth... the taste of nitrided copper...

I think it's a Newcastle word, but bear in mind, Steel needed coal and coal comes from...? It could even by a Viking word since there is a lot of viking in the dialect. you know what a Jasper is?

and for Xander

Nonce, ponce, plackett...

Nonce - A despoiler of children

Ponce - Gay employee of a pimp who body guarded the prostitute to and from 'appointments'.

Plackett - technically another term for female genitals, but more correctly the clitoral prepuce. Used in the First touring version of The Tragickal History of Doctor Faustus by Marlowe...

vardy - metallic/coppery taste. Imagine the after taste of having a Britannia Penny in your mouth... the taste of nitrided copper...

I think it's a Newcastle word, but bear in mind, Steel needed coal and coal comes from...? It could even by a Viking word since there is a lot of viking in the dialect. you know what a Jasper is?

and for Xander

Nonce, ponce, plackett...

Nonce - A despoiler of children

Ponce - Gay employee of a pimp who body guarded the prostitute to and from 'appointments'.

Plackett - technically another term for female genitals, but more correctly the clitoral prepuce. Used in the First touring version of The Tragickal History of Doctor Faustus by Marlowe...

Jasper - a wasp. Lived part of my life in Somerset where I first encountered this word - along with 'grockle' and 'daps'.

Grockle - tourist

daps - plimsolls

now they are really off topic - hardly insults!

another leicestershire cuss would be - 'mampy slapper'

I suppose you could say, 'look at the grockle in her mampy slapper daps - what a mardy arsed bleeder'

the Jaspers are also the Police... Quiet, it's the Jaspers...

I'm not really offended at swearing unless it is swore at me in contempt and if you do that, I will curse you out.

Beside that, swearing can be poetic and worthy of the greatest writers. Shakespeare for one, did a decent line in cursing. One scene of King Lear will prove so, the scene between Kent and Oswald. Here it is.

OSWALD

Prithee, if thou lovest me, tell me.

KENT

I love thee not.

OSWALD

Why, then, I care not for thee.

KENT

If I had thee in Lipsbury pinfold, I would make thee

care for me.

OSWALD

Why dost thou use me thus? I know thee not.

KENT

Fellow, I know thee.

OSWALD

What dost thou know me for?

KENT

A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited,

hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a

lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson,

glass-gazing, super-serviceable finical rogue;

one-trunk-inheriting slave; one that wouldst be a

bawd, in way of good service, and art nothing but

the composition of a knave, beggar, coward, pandar,

and the son and heir of a mongrel bitch: one whom I

will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest

the least syllable of thy addition.

OSWALD

Why, what a monstrous fellow art thou, thus to rail

on one that is neither known of thee nor knows thee!

KENT

What a brazen-faced varlet art thou, to deny thou

knowest me! Is it two days ago since I tripped up

thy heels, and beat thee before the king? Draw, you

rogue: for, though it be night, yet the moon

shines; I'll make a sop o' the moonshine of you:

draw, you whoreson cullionly barber-monger, draw.

Drawing his sword

OSWALD

Away! I have nothing to do with thee.

KENT

Draw, you rascal: you come with letters against the

king; and take vanity the puppet's part against the

royalty of her father: draw, you rogue, or I'll so

carbonado your shanks: draw, you rascal; come your ways.

OSWALD

Help, ho! murder! help!

KENT

Strike, you slave; stand, rogue, stand; you neat

slave, strike.

Beating him

OSWALD

Help, ho! murder! murder!

Enter EDMUND, with his rapier drawn, CORNWALL, REGAN, GLOUCESTER, and Servants

EDMUND

How now! What's the matter?

KENT

With you, goodman boy, an you please: come, I'll

flesh ye; come on, young master.

GLOUCESTER

Weapons! arms! What 's the matter here?

CORNWALL

Keep peace, upon your lives:

He dies that strikes again. What is the matter?

REGAN

The messengers from our sister and the king.

CORNWALL

What is your difference? speak.

OSWALD

I am scarce in breath, my lord.

KENT

No marvel, you have so bestirred your valour. You

cowardly rascal, nature disclaims in thee: a

tailor made thee.

CORNWALL

Thou art a strange fellow: a tailor make a man?

KENT

Ay, a tailor, sir: a stone-cutter or painter could

not have made him so ill, though he had been but two

hours at the trade.

CORNWALL

Speak yet, how grew your quarrel?

OSWALD

This ancient ruffian, sir, whose life I have spared

at suit of his gray beard,--

KENT

Thou whoreson zed! thou unnecessary letter! My

lord, if you will give me leave, I will tread this

unbolted villain into mortar, and daub the wall of

a jakes with him. Spare my gray beard, you wagtail?

CORNWALL

Peace, sirrah!

You beastly knave, know you no reverence?

KENT

Yes, sir; but anger hath a privilege.

CORNWALL

Why art thou angry?

KENT

That such a slave as this should wear a sword,

Who wears no honesty. Such smiling rogues as these,

Like rats, oft bite the holy cords a-twain

Which are too intrinse t' unloose; smooth every passion

That in the natures of their lords rebel;

Bring oil to fire, snow to their colder moods;

Renege, affirm, and turn their halcyon beaks

With every gale and vary of their masters,

Knowing nought, like dogs, but following.

A plague upon your epileptic visage!

Smile you my speeches, as I were a fool?

Goose, if I had you upon Sarum plain,

I'ld drive ye cackling home to Camelot.

CORNWALL

Why, art thou mad, old fellow?

GLOUCESTER

How fell you out? say that.

KENT

No contraries hold more antipathy

Than I and such a knave.

CORNWALL

Why dost thou call him a knave? What's his offence?

KENT

His countenance likes me not.

CORNWALL

No more, perchance, does mine, nor his, nor hers.

KENT

Sir, 'tis my occupation to be plain:

I have seen better faces in my time

Than stands on any shoulder that I see

Before me at this instant.

CORNWALL

This is some fellow,

Who, having been praised for bluntness, doth affect

A saucy roughness, and constrains the garb

Quite from his nature: he cannot flatter, he,

An honest mind and plain, he must speak truth!

An they will take it, so; if not, he's plain.

These kind of knaves I know, which in this plainness

Harbour more craft and more corrupter ends

Than twenty silly ducking observants

That stretch their duties nicely.

KENT

Sir, in good sooth, in sincere verity,

Under the allowance of your great aspect,

Whose influence, like the wreath of radiant fire

On flickering Phoebus' front,--

CORNWALL

What mean'st by this?

KENT

To go out of my dialect, which you

discommend so much. I know, sir, I am no

flatterer: he that beguiled you in a plain

accent was a plain knave; which for my part

I will not be, though I should win your displeasure

to entreat me to 't.

CORNWALL

What was the offence you gave him?

OSWALD

I never gave him any:

It pleased the king his master very late

To strike at me, upon his misconstruction;

When he, conjunct and flattering his displeasure,

Tripp'd me behind; being down, insulted, rail'd,

And put upon him such a deal of man,

That worthied him, got praises of the king

For him attempting who was self-subdued;

And, in the fleshment of this dread exploit,

Drew on me here again.

KENT

None of these rogues and cowards

But Ajax is their fool.

CORNWALL

Fetch forth the stocks!

You stubborn ancient knave, you reverend braggart,

We'll teach you--

Well, any questions, linguistic prudes? There's much worse in Shakespeare. So you see, swearing is a vital part of humans whatever the language as such, cannot be stamped out. Raggedy dicks shall never buttlick out our wired-in ways of cursing, it is an artform.

Well, any questions, linguistic prudes? There's much worse in Shakespeare. So you see, swearing is a vital part of humans whatever the language as such, cannot be stamped out. Raggedy dicks shall never buttlick out our wired-in ways of cursing, it is an artform.

Come on... you know damned well that cursing is naught but the work of a limited mind that hast not the language to convey it's thoughts. So take that fucking idea and stuff it where the sun doth not shineth. :P

On a serious note... I'm continually impressed at the way people are able to cuss in new and inventive ways. It makes my own simple attempts feel rather small.

Gustard! Misbegotten, ditch delivered son of a pox ridden drab! Stinkard! Spaniel Lick turd! Fawning Jackanape! Pus dripping loon! Syphilitic imbecile! Son of a Camel and an unknown father!

I simply remember my favourite things and then I donnnnnnt feeeeeeeelllll soooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad! :D

Gustard! Misbegotten, ditch delivered son of a pox ridden drab! Stinkard! Spaniel Lick turd! Fawning Jackanape! Pus dripping loon! Syphilitic imbecile! Son of a Camel and an unknown father!

I simply remember my favourite things and then I donnnnnnt feeeeeeeelllll soooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad! :D

Oh, shut thy fool-born mouth and eat my knickers, thou churlish, beetle-headed foot-licker!

you say 'foot licker' like it's a bad thiing, thou sphincter kissing spawn of a crone and a hop-toad... I'll teach ye to blench at my wys!

I wonder if Kratos is having a fit yet? :HaHa:

Yeah, thinking people. Fundies seem to get really pissed off when you suggest that God created evil though. It makes their brains explode and causes faith to unravel real quick.

The funny thing is, it says right there in the Holy Babble that Gawd created evil.

Regarding curse/cuss words, I think they are silly. I got to thinking a lot about them on a few occasions prior to deconversion. For the words that do not include the name of Gawd or Jesus, "shit" for example, I came to the conclusion that it isn't the word that is bad, it's the reason for saying it that is the problem. So let's say I drive my car into a telephone pole and I yell out, "Fuck!", it's because I'm probably pretty pissed off. If I had yelled out, "Safety Glasses!" instead, it doesn't matter because I wasn't able to control my emotional drive for blurting out something in the first place.

I don't actually feel that way about curse words anymore though. I no longer feel guilty about walking around my apartment when I'm by myself and uttering a few passionate cuss words just for the hell of it. But I still don't cuss in front of other people unless I'm quoting someone else.

Safety Glasses!

A few of my personal favorites

You son of a motherless goat! (Steve Martin)

The ever popular "HolyJesusMotherF***ingChrist!"

Even better, "Jesus Joseph and Mary, Holy MF Christ"

It even feels good just to type them. :wicked:

I fart in your general direction!