Goodbye Jesus

Jung Space, Collective Memory, Dna/cell Memory

Grandpa Harley

So I gather that you feel Jung was an important explorer Gramps. No problem. I even feel that you may have a point about the nature of his work. But, I still don't much care for Jung. It may even be an irrational dislike. So what?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Ouroboros

• The-Captain

• sojourner

I don't care for the methods of Early Egyptologists, but they were doing the best they could with the tools and the culture at the time...

What exactly is the problem with Jung? I know Freud detested his work with a passion I aspire to...

What exactly is the problem with Jung? I know Freud detested his work with a passion I aspire to...

I wasn't aware that Freud also disliked his work. Thank you.

I will need to glance back over it to refresh my memory Gramps. I seem to remember that synchronicity struck me as so much magical thinking. There was something else, but I'll have to go back over it.

"When we must deal with problems, we instinctively resist trying the way that leads through obscurity and darkness. We wish to hear only of unequivocal results, and completely forget that these results can only be brought about when we have ventured into and emerged again from the darkness. But to penetrate the darkness we must summon all the powers of enlightenment that consciousness can offer."-Jung

I agree with Jung that results only come when we have ventured into and emerged again from darkness. I largely agree with that. But I see little need to explore (and Jung’s case maybe even savor) the darkness. It is the light that draws me; I acknowledge the darkness, but I meditate on the light. I don’t ask about the nature of confusion, I ask about understanding.

Legion, without understanding the darkness--and bringing the hidden things to light--we will never understand the light.

Were it not for many centuries of hard work in searching out the dark secrets of nature, you and I would not be communicating by internet.

Perhaps we would have discovered fire by now and perhaps we could communicate by smoke signals.

Legion, without understanding the darkness--and bringing the hidden things to light--we will never understand the light.

Were it not for many centuries of hard work in searching out the dark secrets of nature, you and I would not be communicating by internet.

Perhaps we would have discovered fire by now and perhaps we could communicate by smoke signals.

There seems to be some confusion here. :HaHa: And it may be on my part.

I am very much a champion of the journey towards understanding. Ruby suppose for a moment that I was going to make confusion itself the object of my study. That is, I want to understand the nature of confusion. Do you think that would be a more profitable endeavor than to make understanding the object of my study?

There seems to be some confusion here. :HaHa: And it may be on my part.

I am very much a champion of the journey towards understanding. Ruby suppose for a moment that I was going to make confusion itself the object of my study. That is, I want to understand the nature of confusion. Do you think that would be a more profitable endeavor than to make understanding the object of my study?

I think you're talking in circles. To understand the nature of confusion is understanding. Understanding of what? The nature of confusion.

People who endeavor to understand the nature of confusion have made understanding the object of their study, just the same as you.

People who endeavor to understand the nature of confusion have made understanding the object of their study, just the same as you.

Maybe Ruby, maybe.

Let me switch gears. We've been studying diseases for ages right? I suggest that a profitable path is to study health. I have even heard some learned folks say that we flounder in medicine still because we do not understand health.

Jung Space - a state of mind where we think symbolicly... effectively, the 'place' the mind goes during 'mystical' experience, either endorphin or psychoactive drug induced where the conscious and the unconscious 'meet' and can have a two way exchange of information... it's then the conscious mind translating personal and cultural archtypes (the warrior, the villain, the deceiver , the saviour, the patient friend, the star crossed lover, the aged sage, the fool, the student, the journeyman, the paladin, the wounded king, etc...) for instance...

Grampa Harley, great thread! :thanks:

It seems reasonable that we are more symbolically oriented at the subconscious level, as it wasn't that long ago we started a structured language. I've heard it started about 20,000 years ago... is that right? Then it remained rather rudimentary for a long time, till maybe writing. I think evolution works slower subconsciously than our conscious ability to grasp sophisticated articulation. Anyway, symbolism may be faster and more efficient.

Dreams are a great example of this, IMO. Carl Jung's method of dream interpretation, as I understand, is that during REM, our subconscious dreams are trying to sort out our problems symbolically, which we didn't have time to do so during the day.

As for genetic knowledge... I've always found it interesting how we speak of our progression as humans. Just like I said in the previous paragraph, that these are traits from our prehistoric days. We all reference things like this, yet none of us were there then... so it is not our prehistoric days, or is it somehow wired into us that it is and we are somehow a progression of ourselves back then? :scratch:

Also, Jung is still of great recognition today. Just cruise through Border's Bookstore in the Psychology section. Lots more than Freud... and Jung was his protege'. I've heard Jung eventually separated from Freud because Freud thought all disorders were instituted by only sexual causes. Jung, being a psychologist, his job was to understand the disorder, the problem's dynamics, or how could he begin to guide his patient to fix it? :shrug: