Goodbye Jesus

Expectations!

Guest end3

Ok, slowly...as I am miffed....would one not consider their audience if you were actually trying to get a point across? Granted, ya'll are in a class amongst yourselves, and therefore it would behove me to bring my dumb ass up to some level, but the concept surely exists in the realm of humanity.
So, let me get this straight? You're pissy because someone used a word you don't understand and instead of looking up the word for yourself, you want other people to do your dirty work for you because you're too lazy to use dictionary.com for yourself because why? I don't understand a thing about thermodynamics, so would I go to a college lecture about thermodynamics and whine when the college professors use terminology I don't understand and demand that they dumb down the lecture to my level instead of actually learning about thermodynamics myself? Hell no, I'll use my common sense and learn about thermodynamics myself before I go to a lecture that's beyond my level like any normal person would. It has nothing to do with being exclusive or not. It's about using common sense and learning something for yourself before you jump into something you don't understand. Last I checked, the world didn't revolve around you, so please kindly stop acting like it does.

I actually did look up extremophile and concomitant.

People not allowed to rant without you being right GH?

Wouldn't it be graceful for you just to shut the fuck up.

So, what the fuck is the problem here? If you were able to look the words up for yourself, why are you whining about something you were clearly capable of doing? Last I checked, you weren't mentally handicapped, so I don't see why we should treat you as such when you're clearly just as capable of learning as anyone else here. Unless you do want people to treat you like you're mentally handicapped, is that what you're saying?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Legion

• florduh

• Japedo

Top Posters In This Topic

I shall

Deal.

Ok, slowly...as I am miffed....would one not consider their audience if you were actually trying to get a point across? Granted, ya'll are in a class amongst yourselves, and therefore it would behove me to bring my dumb ass up to some level, but the concept surely exists in the realm of humanity.
So, let me get this straight? You're pissy because someone used a word you don't understand and instead of looking up the word for yourself, you want other people to do your dirty work for you because you're too lazy to use dictionary.com for yourself because why? I don't understand a thing about thermodynamics, so would I go to a college lecture about thermodynamics and whine when the college professors use terminology I don't understand and demand that they dumb down the lecture to my level instead of actually learning about thermodynamics myself? Hell no, I'll use my common sense and learn about my thermodynamics myself before I go to a lecture that's beyond my level like any normal person would. It has nothing to do with being exclusive or not. It's about using common sense and learning something for yourself before you jump into something you don't understand.

I actually did look up extremophile and concomitant.

People not allowed to rant without you being right GH?

Wouldn't it be graceful for you just to shut the fuck up.

So, what the fuck is the problem here? If you were able to look the words up for yourself, why are you whining about something you were clearly capable of doing? Last I checked, you were not mentally handicapped, so I don't see why we should treat you as such when you're clearly just as capable of learning as anyone else here.

I think most of this has now been addressed

Can we turn this thread into a discussion of the way the average English vocabulary has narrowed over the years, and the resulting effect on efficient expression of thought and feeling?

Can we turn this thread into a discussion of the way the average English vocabulary has narrowed over the years, and the resulting effect on efficient expression of thought and feeling?

Asshole translation:

Can we talk about how people are getting dumber and the resulting decline in quality of communication--you know, because everyone's stupid?

Sorry, Doc, I just couldn't resist. :HaHa:

Call it what you will, but the use of "big words" for the purpose of exclusion is not limited to you dumbass. Slumming would be a good word when in your presence....

So you're having a dictionary problem? Download Firefox. Get the dictionary plug-in. Highlight word in question. Right click. Select "View definition" (or something like that). They also have similar plug-ins to make accessing Wikipedia (or most any info source) equally easy.

Methinks thou doust protest too much...and problem solve too little.

mwc

:lmao: As much as I have a frequent tendency to use words that no one else knows, without realizing it, that very function is one I have used to great benefit.

My vocabulary, expansive as it is, is, in similar fashion to Gramps here, is almost entirely self-learned. Lazy as I can be, one thing I always had time to do was grab a dictionary when I came across a word I didn't know. And, if I couldn't figure out the context of a word used by someone in conversation, I would ask them what it meant, and rarely had a problem with it. Not even college educated (as yet), and still command a stronger grammatical mastery than certain university graduates.

I do understand the idea that some people use big words to compensate, or put down others, however, you have to judge the apparent intent of the perpetrator before making such an accusation. If you misapprehend a person's motives, it doesn't make you look very good.

a fellow auto-didact...

Yepper, and guess what? I didn't even know what that was till less than a minute ago. :P

Edit: If only I could learn math the same way. I would be unstoppable!!!!!!!!!!!! :fdevil:

Well I may have arrived a little late, BUT...

If someone on the board uses a word that I don't understand, I turn to the dictionary, pleased that they introduced me to a new word.

Nobody popped out of the womb knowing and using six dollar words, ya'know, and I doubt that Gramps or anyone else with a half decent vocabulary complained about exclusionary tactics when they heard, or more likely read new words. That's part of what gives people good thinking skills: welcoming exposure to things they don't know and then learning, assimilating stuff, processing/analyzing/thinking about things, or striving to figure stuff out. It's application extends well beyond vocabulary.

Here is a $20 dollar word. I was thrilled when it was introduced to me.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

It was almost as much fun to learn to say, as it was to guess what it meant. I was the one in class who had the closest guess.

It was almost as much fun to learn to say, as it was to guess what it meant. I was the one in class who had the closest guess.

Okay let me break that down--can't you just feel my enthusiasm at tackling a new and enticingly juicy word?

Pneumono=something to do with spiritual because pneuma=spirit

ultra=we all know what this means; absolute outermost of its category whether large or small, whether liberal or conservative.

microscopic=another easy word; concept of teensy-weensy

silico=I don't know but sounds a lot like silicon which I think is something used to seal windows for the winter; there is also silicon valley where Bill Gates has his computer set-up. At least, those are the associations in my brain without looking anything up. Probably an oil-based substance.

volcanocon=see the word "volcano" in there? must mean something that errupts.

iosis=sounds like a fancy "itis" or "ism" type of ending for the rest of the word.

Okay, so we have something that errupts but it's spiritual and it's the absolute of it's kind. We also know it's microsopic so it must be the tiniest of spiritual erruptions. Maybe it's the tiniest out-pouring of the Spirit possible. Oh, but we have to get the "oil" concept in there, too, somehow. Maybe the "volcano" meant the pouring of oil....I give up. I need to see it in a sentence and/or paragraph to get the meaning.

I think Pneumono might pertain to the respiratory system.

I think it has to do with a disorder caused by breathing volcanic gases. That's my guess.

I think it has to do with a disorder caused by breathing volcanic gases. That's my guess.

Yep. I looked it up here. What a fun word!

Asshole translation:

Can we talk about how people are getting dumber and the resulting decline in quality of communication--you know, because everyone's stupid?

Sorry, Doc, I just couldn't resist. :HaHa:

You got me :P

I try to be nice about it, but seriously with some people communication is near impossible. I'm not really talking about anyone on the boards here, just people I deal with day to day.

I swear it seems like we're heading to using nothing but monosyllabic grunts, gestures and swear words.

Poo-poo.

You got me :P

I try to be nice about it, but seriously with some people communication is near impossible. I'm not really talking about anyone on the boards here, just people I deal with day to day.

I swear it seems like we're heading to using nothing but monosyllabic grunts, gestures and swear words.

I know what you mean. For a lot of my twenty five years in the oil patch, most of it in field operations, I have been painfully aware of how my diction, grammar, and vocabulary tended to decline to the lowest common denominator. And then there are the guys that can't fucking speak a fucking sentence with out fucking using the fucking f-bomb about twenty fucking times. For fuck's sake, can't they think of another fucking word?

About the earlier exchanges about vocabulary......I admit to being only partially literate as to the abbreviations used in online conversations. There were a couple of them that I could not figure out, so I pm'd Grandpa Harley as to their meanings. He was most helpful in explaining them. Grandpa - I said it privately but I will say it again publicly - Thank you!

'Madame M' wrote:

"What a lame topic. What next, complaints about correct grammer and punctuation? Seriously, if the majority here started posting dumbed down, poorly spelled, poor grammer posts I would find somewhere else to go. I'm not sure what the complaint is. I feel right at home with the posting style here. Perhaps we should all start posting like christians!!!!!!11!!1one"

Madame M - how dare you use multiple exclamation points at the end of a sentence! You even took the extra offensive step of mixing in some 1's AND the word ONE!

I'm going to request that you are permanently banned from using a computer and bust you down to being stuck with a 1950's era typewriter! :wicked:

Seriously though, I always thought that the whole learning process involved finding things that you didn't know, and then FINDING OUT WHAT THEY ARE.

I guess xtianity and the Jewsus cult are conditioned to stop asking questions and to fear what they don't know. Getting pissy with Gramps was more arrogant than his "$6" word.

Then again, since that word isn't in "god's word" (i.e.- bible), it must therefore be squashed and suppressed like so many other ideas and concepts...

Trolling here and spewing your jewsus BS will get you attacked. You are on our turf. If I walked into your church and started calling everyone a bunch of delusional lemmings, I'd expect a bit of abuse from the folks there, wouldn't you think?

Entirely possible that I am sensitive to it. I see it all the time. There are times when you will expect more of a person enabling them to a new level, but there are times when poor teaching is the case.

Let me get real venacular on your ass, since like I've been totally drinking and all that rot. FUCK YOU! Did ya get that, understandabale? No, k, le me splain Ricky. Grandpa Harley be my home boy and he be all that and a bag of chips, and you ain't shit. Putting it on to exclude you, pppffthhhh bitch please I CALL SHENANIGENS, you're a dumb fuck paranoic and I'll see your professor father issues with my being lawyer spawn. Father issues???? PPffthhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am Queen Father Issues. So, Grandpa, whos old enough to probably be my son, wanna be my Daddy?

Yeah whatever pull your head out End like totally fer shur chicka.

End, think for a minute about cause and effect. What effect did you think you would cause by starting a thread like this?

Let's see, rattling the cage of one of our more aggressive members...

Combine that with being a self admitted (you did, recently) ex-troll, AND with a few people on these boards you KNOW are hostile to you...

Then on top of that is the subject matter. Words...

Obviously being a little frustrated at your own vocab, is a trival thing.

You know what happened when you add all the above together? You end up no longer appearing to be an EX-troll, but a current one.

Did you not know that trolls can be eaten alive by lions?

Here's a question for you, why, when you have taken two steps forward, by gaining respect from a few members, do you take three steps backward almost immediately after?

It looks like a medical term. Has to do with something microscopic causing a disease condition in the lungs. I don't know what silicone or volcanoes have to do with it. I'll have to look it up.

Working blind... (as in not cheating and just using my knowledge of etmology) it looks like a lung disease caused by exposure to very small fine particles of silica based dust of volcanic origin... I can see that would be a problem since, having looked at volcanic dust geography when I was at PUBLIC school, they are like clusters of razors... Falls like snow, more abrasive than VIM... that shit in your alveoli would make asbestos seem like a walk inthe country and coal dust seem like a day by the sea...

Is the son of a welder and an assistant in a dry cleaning establishment anywhere near right?

Yep. I looked it up here. What a fun word!

Thanks Shackled. I rarely grow weary of being right.

Here's a question for you, why, when you have taken two steps forward, by gaining respect from a few members, do you take three steps backward almost immediately after?

I can answer that, It's how he's been indoctrinated. He's been convinced he's worthless and only worthy of being put down, yelled at, belittled as an uneducated POS. It's what the church calls Love after all.

Why is it so hard to understand he reverts back to the abuse he knows as love? He craves and begs for it without even realizing it. Doesn't seem like rocket science to me, but.. hey so long as everyone's on the kicking the xtian while they are down, insecure, and unworthy have at it. :brutal_01: Ex-C is a bloodsport sometimes.

I'm sure he'll break through his self hate and insecurity's on his own like the rest of us have. :shrug: