Goodbye Jesus

Most Annoying Non-x-tian Religion

Guest Zenobia

Guest Zenobia

For me it's a close tie between Islam and Scientology... I mean, the Muslims are really pushy about Allah - but have you ever had a scientist try to cram L Ron Hubbard along with a 30-page personality quiz down your throat? *shudder*

I'm going to have to vote foir Islam just because of the magnitude of their pushiness, ie terrorist bombings, taking hostages, hijaking airplanes, blowing up kids, etc.

Therefore Islam is most annoying.

I followed pretty much exactly the same reasoning as you did, Zenobia. I haven't met any Scientologists (yet...).

All morontheist cults (i. e. every cult that just can't live with having to tolerate disbelief in others) are worthy of my contempt. That said, of those I know is-lame is decidedly the most bloodthirsty and dangerous currently, so there. :)

Do you realise that you've put scientology twice? This means the vote for scientology will be split between those who ticked scientology and those who ticked scientologists.

I was torn between Islam and scientology. In the end I picked scientology because they are always throwing their weight around and suing people and they're a bit creepy. Islam in its extreme forms is very, very bad and dangerous - but there are plenty of moslems who are quiet, peaceful people and are basically alright, even though their religion is annoying.

• Super Moderator

The idea of Scientology is annoying to me, but in practice they don't bother me. I live near Scientology headquarters (Clearwater) and they have had a booth at a flea market from time to time. Only twice in 20 years have they asked, as I passed by, if I wanted a copy of Dianetics or a free "personality test."

Islam, on the other hand, is actively altering or attempting to alter daily life in this, and other, countries. Not only is their violence level high, but they are intolerant, easily offended, and actively seeking to change our laws and legally protect their terrorists.

Hands down, Islam is the biggest festering boil on the ass of the world.

• Like 1

For me, maybe Islam. I've read and seen too much propaganda. I wish I had a more personal understanding of the people involved.

Guest Zenobia

Fark! Sorry for putting Scientology twice. Heh. I had one too many glasses of home-made liquor while I was doing the poll.

I voted for Islam since it is a religion of EVIL. Kill the infidel!

No doubt Islam is the worst.

"I slam, you slam, we all slam for Islam!"

While Scientologists may be delusional, the best-known adherents of that faith give us sometimes cheesy movies (John Travolta in "Battlefield Earth," Tom Cruise in "Vanilla Sky" or "Eyes Wide Shut"), not death threats.

Sure Scientology is an idiotic scam, but Islam is a crazy death cult (72 virgins for dying in a suicide mission against the infidel, anyone?).

The most fanatical Muslims want to conquer the world by force. They don't want any dissent, and even threaten slaughter of those who make them the subject of cartoon parody.

A literal interpretation of the Koran is every bit as dangerous as a literal interpretation of the Bible — even moreso. It's rooted in the barbarism of the seventh century, views women as property and "infidel" men as "target practice."

I voted Islam although Judaism would be close second, since it is the root of Christianity and Islam. Scientology is simply funny.

Guest Zenobia
While Scientologists may be delusional, the best-known adherents of that faith give us sometimes cheesy movies (John Travolta in "Battlefield Earth," Tom Cruise in "Vanilla Sky" or "Eyes Wide Shut"), not death threats.

Actually, there have been many allegations of death threats even and murder committed by scientologists. Most notably, a Time Magazine journalist who did an expose on their religion received death threats. They bilk people out of thousands and thousands of dollars for bizarre "machines" and "audits" that are supposed to get rid of negative thinking when in fact they make people even more negative and down on themselves so that they "need" the religion even more. They do not always play "nice."

Edited to include this you-tube link. It's worth watching and there are many others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCGP-0545EU

PS - And Battlefield Earth totally sucks balls!

I don't have a problem with Judaism. They don't advertise. Their religion has that hereditary component to it. Even when the NT was being written and clearly within the pages of the text itself...there were jews, and then there were Gentiles (everyone who wasn't a Jew). They were, and still are pretty exclusive.

Christianity has nothing to do with judaism other than some plagerized cherry-picked rules. They really don't even worship the same god. Major personality shift in god between OT and NT, and the gospel stories, are precisely that...stories. With their central character's jewish heredity serving as no more than a plot point to help demonize jews.

I think it is the fear of being labelled a nazi thing.

You nailed it. Sad to say but usually criticism of Judaism around here results in huge blowouts and threads being axed altogether. At least that is what I have gathered over the past three years anyway. Some of the most violent and abhorrent stories in the Bible come from not the New Testament but the Old.

However, in sticking with the topic at hand...I would have to say that the Islam religion is not only the most annoying but, when in the hands of extremists, is also the most terrifying. Aren't the statistics somewhere around 10% of Muslims are extremist and there are a billion Muslims? Or, is that yet another "scare tactic" used by the media? I shudder to think of that amount of people willing to kill themselves and others in the name of Allah.

I agree with white_raven here. Jews don't try to convert people and Judaism is more accepting of things like secularism and even atheism than you'd probably expect. It is common practise in Judaism to debate and discuss what is in the scriptures - it's actually encouraged.

The only real problem I have with Judaism is when they get all Zionist about their 'promised land'. Because that leads to war and trouble.

I think it is the fear of being labelled a nazi thing.

No. It can simply be a difference of opinion.

Judaism is different to christianity. Too many people believe that Judaism is like the Christian take on the Old Testament. But christians lie about what Judaism is all about.

The difference is worthy of a different opinion about it.

Islam with its rather monotheistic beliefs and misogyny are bad but IMO scientologists.. those peeps are just nuts. Look at their goal. a civilization without insanity, without criminals and without war, where the able can prosper and honest beings can have rights, and where man is free to rise to greater heights

Add in they don't believe in psychiatry and psychology; even muslims believe in those things; Silent births? No pain killers? WTF was Mr. Hubbard thinking.. oh my bad, MR. . got it.. its not like HE would ever have had a baby which is NOT a painless process..

IMO Scietologists are just plain crazy. No wonder they hate psychology.

But christians lie about what Judaism is all about.

What is Judaism all about?

Guest Zenobia
Islam with its rather monotheistic beliefs and misogyny are bad but IMO scientologists.. those peeps are just nuts. Look at their goal. a civilization without insanity, without criminals and without war, where the able can prosper and honest beings can have rights, and where man is free to rise to greater heights

OMG a world without INSANITY? I would never fit in.... :eek:

Add in they don't believe in psychiatry and psychology; even muslims believe in those things; Silent births? No pain killers? WTF was Mr. Hubbard thinking.. oh my bad, MR. . got it.. its not like HE would ever have had a baby which is NOT a painless process..

Interesting how it always seems like men want to control things related to reproduction... could it be that deep down in their subconcious they are still as jealous of women's life-giving powers as they were in the stone-age?

IMO Scietologists are just plain crazy. No wonder they hate psychology.

Yeah, a world without insanity... unless it's "their" kind of insanity... *shudder*

Guest Zenobia

I think Judaism becomes a "hot" topic because people don't always separate the race from the religion. Insulting the religion doesn't mean we insult the race. I am part Jewish myself but not Jewish at all by religion. Thus, I am insulted when people make anti-semetic comments. But when they say things about the religion itself, it doesn't really offend me.

I guess it's difficult to separate the race from the religion since they are so intertwined.

I like Jews because they are very intellectual, enjoy a good debate, and welcome questions. Jews are also good in bed!!!!

Judaism though, definately has its flaws... old orthodox Judaism is very sexist, IMHO. Reform Judaism - not so much. Mesianic Jews - whole other story. They are just curly-haired Christians. LOL :)

• Super Moderator
They are just curly-haired Christians. LOL :)

Hah! I like that.

Once in a while they'd parade some Messianic Jew in front of our congregation. They called them "completed Jews." Somehow that sounded offensive to me even when I was a Christian.

Islam, hands down.

I've known plenty of good folks from that part of the world, but I'd have to say that they're good in spite of Islam. Secular, intelligent, educated, cultured, Westernized, and so on. Persians are wonderful people... except for the illiterate nutjobs that support the regime there. I wouldn't mind living and working in Dubai for a time (I could if I wanted to, actually), and Turkey (the western, urban half, that is; the eastern poor rural half is like Turkish Texas) is supposed to be just like Europe. Beirut used to be the place to be back in the day before the rural Islamic hicks started fucking everything up for the secular, decadent, Europeanized urbanites.

To hell with Islam and Allah.

I'd have to say Buddism. People think they're a religion of peace, they have fantasies of magical Jedi like Buddist temples, tucked behind some misty mountain, the air concentrated with the aroma, of pure water vapors from melting pure Hiyminalyan snow and Patcholi incense.

Then why did they run amuck in Japan with white headbands and spears, and why do the Shaolin monks incorporate spears and swords into their martial arts. The main tenants of Buddism is Everyone suffers, and that the problem of suffering can be solved.

Also, Thailand is a Buddist country, and it ended up having a military coup!

Lama buddism in Tibet, also operated on a Caste system, not unlike Catholicism. and speaking of Buddism, why are there 4 different competing sects of Buddism (the current one are the yellow headresses). if Buddism is such a religion of peace, why fight for which sect is better? why bother with hats at all? why not coexist?

conclusion. Buddism sucks because it encourages caste system servitute, war and violence, and ignorance. The very things that Buddah told us to avoid on our life time journey to Nirvana....

Steven Segal's neck snapping, death moves, proves this. He after all, some reincarnated Buddist monk. Fulfiliing his Karma..... to promote violence by perverting a peaceful martial art Akido, to snappy, neck, arm, leg martial art.... causing suffering. So I guess Buddah was right... everybody suffers. Especially when it's his followers who cause it.

let's not forget Shoko Ashahara. Manahantra Buddism... I don't know how spraying poison gas into some chick's eyes on a subway, is preventing suffering.

I'm Chinese, and we have a Buddist statue. She's the Asian Mother Mary lol.

I'd have to say Buddism. People think they're a religion of peace, they have fantasies of magical Jedi like Buddist temples, tucked behind some misty mountain, the air concentrated with the aroma, of pure water vapors from melting pure Hiyminalyan snow and Patcholi incense.

The public schools, our educational programs, ect. do not cover this topic well. So we get the Jedi, short one sided films about the Dalai Lama, and the Last Samurai. Buddhism like Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, built an empire, thus becoming theocratic entities.

Guest Zenobia

I'll admit I am not very knowledgeable about Buddhism, but the little I did study bothered me. The religion is very sexist. Taoism is sexist too, IMHO. And I Ching. It seems like Asian-originated religions are all very patriarchial in nature, much like christian ones and islam. I just have absolutely no interest in a religion where women are second class citizens and men get to make all the rules. *shudder*

Shion - I liked your quote:

"If you leave the Christian Bible outside, eventually the wind and the rain will destroy it. My bible IS the wind and the rain. " ~

This quote is attributed to an unnamed Native American woman.

I'll admit I am not very knowledgeable about Buddhism, but the little I did study bothered me. The religion is very sexist. Taoism is sexist too, IMHO. And I Ching. It seems like Asian-originated religions are all very patriarchial in nature, much like christian ones and islam. I just have absolutely no interest in a religion where women are second class citizens and men get to make all the rules. *shudder*

Shion - I liked your quote:

"If you leave the Christian Bible outside, eventually the wind and the rain will destroy it. My bible IS the wind and the rain. " ~

This quote is attributed to an unnamed Native American woman.

Thanks.

Yes, Buddhism is rather sexist, and even to this day. Some American incarnations of Buddhism have steered away from this. I find it rather disturbing that a philosopher (Siddartha Guatama) could have so many great theories about human interactions and yet completely miss the boat with females. Still I would rank Buddhism as a third most annoying religion outside of Christianity.