Goodbye Jesus

Terrorist Attack In Mumbai

Guest end3

There's a bigger picture than the church circle in America.

Well, there you see, we can agree on things! :grin:

And to be fair, it's not limited to Christians. I've seen it with other religious people too, and even atheists. I guess it's a tendency for a majority of people, or should I say a temptation, to get into their own little bubble-world, and they never dare to look outside. Some do it because it's too hard for them to grasp reality outside, but for some (shame on them) do it because they don't want to--out of laziness or fear. Neither traits are considered "holy" by any standards.

To read and study the Bible as an anthropological artifact makes a lot more sense than to read it as a factual description of the imaginary spiritual world. It tells us more about humans and their search for understanding, than who/what/where God is.

I agree, and as a believer. I add that on my end, I do think their was an encounter with God at some point propelling the actions of these people, yet, a large portion is like you said, trying to understand. For me, they were writing a Book surrounded by God, Him abiding in their every action and movement.

Okay. I can accept that view.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• chefranden

• Abiyoyo

• Deva

Reading about the terrorist attack in India.....after awhile, I just get to the point of saying fuck, I am goddamnned tired of our nation and other good people being controlled by terrorist's actions. Put me on record to use every available means of eradicating the people accountable for these and other similar actions. BUT WAIT END3, Obummer is going to offer dialogue with these wonderful people as their means of change is so fucking profound that it leaves us cowering with the notion that we ought to offer fucking dialogue with these bunch of pukes. Fuck that, give me a Rambo outfit and let's go. And for you simpathetic cowards to this means of change, fuck you too.

As the CHEF. said, christians are commanded to turn the other cheek, love their enemies, and do good to those who despise them. In turn, god will heap coals upon their heads in hell. On earth, the coal heaping is metaphor. You'll just have to wait....sorry :HappyCry:

I think the anti-terrorism squads in India did a great job of eliminating the terrorists. Murderers are every where. They are at all levels of society. Hatred taught by religions is found in almost all religions and hatred is also taught by those who are not religious. The world is not going to change over night because the world did not get in this state over night. The US took it upon itself to interfere in the politics of other countries and is paying the price. Suicide bombings began in Israel, by the Israelis who used explosives strapped to their bodies to blow up British soldiers who were part of a peace keeping force when Israel was demanding to become a state in the mid east after WWII. The US decided along the way to support Israel as an ally and in doing so the US became a target also. Israel is not innocent and neither is the USA or Britain in world affairs. So there is plenty of blame to go around. The innocent always pay the price for the mistakes of their governments. I'm not claiming any terrorist is justified by the use of violence and murder but it is a real stretch of the imagination to believe the US, Britain, and Israel are innocent victims of terrorism. No one deserves to be slaughtered for any reason but there is also no quick fix for past mistakes, and if diplomacy can gain anything, then I am in favor of it.

Okay, here's a challenge: lets first assume terrorism is always wrong. And then lets go back to Nazi Germany (Oh, I call Godwin's law before anyone else!!!), and lets imagine that we knew how evil Hitler was, and we had a chance of taking him out, but had to do it using an act of terrorism. Or, just make it simple, we knew some terrorists would take out Hitler, and we had a chance of stopping them. Would we let them go through with it, or maybe even join them? If we say yes, then according to our first assumption we are supporting evil. And if we don't, then we let evil continue.

Do you think that the wicked, when they are destroyed by God, simply disappear?

Actually and independently, I believe that all men will be reconciled to God through a refining "fire", hell if you wish...

I can't quite fathom why you are hanging out on this Board with a bunch of unbelievers unless (1)its to try to convert us and /or (2) continually trying to convince yourself we are wrong and so be strengthened in your faith.

I often don't know myself Ms. Deva...honestly.

2. Lets pretend that the Church is the Body of God. Then as I say God is, unjust, incompetent, hateful, greedy, full of shit, and etc. That is not to say that the Church doesn't do anything good. It is to prove by your hypothesis that God is not perfect. I.e. God is not what you say God is. There is no difference between God as Church and God as nothing. Again the simplest explanation is the best explanation, therefore no God. Address this directly if you can.

A Spiritual rebirth Chef, emphasis on rebirth....a growing in Spiritual maturity....what is it you don't understand?

If you cant' see that making the Church the Body of God makes God less than perfect, then lets call you a bull headed one dimensional thinker. However, I say that since you choose Rambo over God, that you know this and you are being at least unconsciously disingenuous.

Get over the Rambo thing....God said take out the bad guys....there you are.

Chef, you of all people know the answers, why are you so venomous towards me.

Actually and independently, I believe that all men will be reconciled to God through a refining "fire", hell if you wish...

Ah! A Zoroastrian! ;)

I can't quite fathom why you are hanging out on this Board with a bunch of unbelievers unless (1)its to try to convert us and /or (2) continually trying to convince yourself we are wrong and so be strengthened in your faith.

Actually (and I thought you would know this already), we hang out on this board because we try to encourage each other and inform each other of the evils of religion. The purpose of this site, and reason why most people stay here isn't to convert anyone, but to discuss our experience with Christianity, and to challenge each other with thoughts about reality. If anyone of us had the intention to convert Christians (or rather de-convert them), we'd be spending our time on Christian forums and trying to prove them wrong and make them leave their faith. It's not a mystery why we are here, it's more of a mystery why you are here. :) But I think you stay here, because deep down you actually like us. Admit it. :grin:

So that would be a "no" they don't just disappear, right? End you know this is not traditional Christianity, sounds like some form of universalism to me.

I often don't know myself Ms. Deva...honestly.

OK, End, just makes me wonder sometimes.

No you still don't get it. You can't one the one hand say the Body is God on earth then on the other hand let God off the hook by saying the Body failed. If the Body is God and the Body fails, then God fails. If X=1 then 1=X. If God can't or won't control his body what good is he? Any human that won't discipline his body wouldn't be considered good. Your argument just doesn't let God off the hook.

I know you are not that f'n thick....why would there be a need for Jesus if a transfer were to be made in that manner i.e. you are God...

Now we can examine Scripture and find God doing evil things. So it could be that God is, but that God is evil and therefore his body carries out his evil wishes, like Samuel did. If you are willing to admit that, then you might have an argument for an existing Bible God.

chapter and verse so I may interpret for myself?

2. Lets pretend that the Church is the Body of God. Then as I say God is, unjust, incompetent, hateful, greedy, full of shit, and etc. That is not to say that the Church doesn't do anything good. It is to prove by your hypothesis that God is not perfect. I.e. God is not what you say God is. There is no difference between God as Church and God as nothing. Again the simplest explanation is the best explanation, therefore no God. Address this directly if you can.

A Spiritual rebirth Chef, emphasis on rebirth....a growing in Spiritual maturity....what is it you don't understand?

No the question is what is it that you don't understand? Spiritual rebirth is so much new age fluff. (there is that less venomous than new age bullshit?) It answers nothing.

You claim that the Church is the Body of God. Therefore what the Church does is what God does. You know like Forest Gump's momma said stupid is stupid does. Evil is as evil does, or doesn't in the case of God's non-action. You could retract your statement that the Church is the Body of God, but then you still have to explain why God doesn't intervene on the behalf of the free will of the victims -- of terror or what ever. I'm sure that the free will of those killed and wounded by the terrorists in Mumbai, was at least mostly that they not be killed or wounded by the thugs.

If God is and if God can act because he is all powerful, then he doesn't need these thugs to carry out their intentions to determine if they are sinners or not -- just like he didn't need Abraham to actually kill his son to know that Abraham would kill if told to. Therefore God could intervene (if God were real) on behalf of the victims like he did for Isaac. Neither the free will of the thugs or of the victims would be violated. As it is the free will of the victims was violated.

You will say, "Well the free will of the victims wasn't violated by God but by the thugs." Sorry, but God (if real) is in charge and able to work his will, therefore is responsible for what happens. That is his will is that innocent people be terrorized and killed, or he would have prevented this raid and millions of other sorry situations. There is no logical way for you to avoid this conclusion for if a person stands by and lets something like this happen when he has the power to stop, that person is as bad as the actual terrorists. God (if real) is this person that stands by and does nothing when he could (that is if God is real). It doesn't matter a lick if God is standing by as the Church, a Holy Spirit, or a tick on a dog's ass. He (if real) has the power and does nothing. Spiritual rebirth just isn't an answer to this. It isn't even a good excuse.

Once upon a time a Fred asked his James to borrow his axe. James said no. Fred asked James, "why not?" James answered, because I have to scratch my ass. Your answer to the dilemma is like James' answer. An explanation ought to actually explain something.

Where did God say take out the bad guys?

You are right. I know the answer. The answer is God is not. Your choice of Rambo shows you know this at least on an unconscious level.

And I'm not being venomous towards you. :nono: Who is it that sticks up for you when you are writing all trollsome? I'm afraid this is your interpretation of my calling a spade a spade and rubbing it in your face when you won't look at the facts directly. The spade in this case is that a person can't tell if God is an asshole or non-existent by the evidence available. IMHO God is not an asshole, God is non-existent.

If you cant' see that making the Church the Body of God makes God less than perfect, then lets call you a bull headed one dimensional thinker. However, I say that since you choose Rambo over God, that you know this and you are being at least unconsciously disingenuous.

Didn't God also say "turn the other cheek"? So which is it?

No you still don't get it. You can't one the one hand say the Body is God on earth then on the other hand let God off the hook by saying the Body failed. If the Body is God and the Body fails, then God fails. If X=1 then 1=X. If God can't or won't control his body what good is he? Any human that won't discipline his body wouldn't be considered good. Your argument just doesn't let God off the hook.

I know you are not that f'n thick....why would there be a need for Jesus if a transfer were to be made in that manner i.e. you are God...

Go ahead and spell out fucking, I kin take it.

Look, Good Buddy you are the one being thick here. God=Jesus=The Body of Christ=The Church. If a is equal to b and b is equal to c and c is equal to d, then d is equal to a. I'm not the one saying that the Body is God you are. Holy Mother of Pearl, at least be familiar with your own argument.

All I'm doing is pointing out the logical conclusions if it is true what Paul says about the body. Which you said is true, because as you said Paul was inspired. I'm assuming you mean that Paul was inspired by this "God" and not a fifth of Jack Daniels and a hit of acid.

Now we can examine Scripture and find God doing evil things. So it could be that God is, but that God is evil and therefore his body carries out his evil wishes, like Samuel did. If you are willing to admit that, then you might have an argument for an existing Bible God.

Sigh, it is too bad really that Christians never actually read the book and instead just wave it around like some sort of magic wand.

Try 1 Samuel 15 verses 1, 2, and 3 for a start. Then go on to read about how Sweet Jesus sent an angel of death to kill the Egyptian firstborns. And then don't forget to read about Noah and the flood and how Jesus killed everything (including babies and kittens) except for the fuckups on the gopher wood yacht. (Not that I blame Noah for being a drunk with all those stinking bodies laying around. It must have been a horror.) And lets not leave out David the man after Jesus' own heart. You know the man who would be king, who made his living as a terrorist until God got around to offing Saul and Johnathon, the man that fucks his servants wife and then kills the servant and yet gets off the hook when Jesus tortures the resulting bastard baby to death. Not even David thought that was fair. But I suppose that Jesus couldn't just kill David because of that whole back to the future thing going on there. :Doh: I almost forgot. Read Geneses where Jesus creates all living things like cholera, ebola, HIV, flu, ticks, tape worms, trichinosis, measles, small pox, malaria, dangi fever...

And the hatred is founded in the view: "I'm better than you." It's all comes from group think, that "my group is better than yours, and I'm the best in my group, so I'm very much better than you are, and therefore when I do something that seems evil, it's still good, because I mean my good things to come about, and undo all your evil things."...

I just want to point out that this is a genuine product of human nature. I.e. we evolved to be like this and once upon a time when we were wild humans it was useful for survival. Now that we are attempting to be domesticated it is not so useful. In spite of 1000's of years of domestication, stray dogs will still form packs and hunt. It is the same with us.

This is why I think we should react to terrorism, like we react to some rare disease. Take action when necessary, and take reasonable precautions. Spending half our income on the military and having the military bomb many in hopes of killing a few terrorists is not a reasonable precaution.

Let me rephrase so I am confirming what you are saying....you are saying since the body now is made up of people, and we know people are faulty, then God is faulty because it is His Body....

Rom 6:19 I put this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves. Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness.

Rom 7:4 So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God.

Rom 7:23 but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.

Rom 7:24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?

Rom 8:10 But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness.

Rom 12:1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual [fn] act of worship.

Rom 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Rom 12:3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.

Rom 12:4 Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function,

Rom 12:5 so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.

Rom 12:6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his [fn]faith.

Rom 12:7 If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach;

Rom 12:8 if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.

Rom 12:9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.

Rom 12:10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

Rom 12:11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.

Rom 12:12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

Rom 12:13 Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Rom 12:14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.

Rom 12:15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.

Rom 12:16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. [fn] Do not be conceited.

Rom 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.

Rom 12:18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

Rom 12:19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," [fn]says the Lord.

Rom 12:20 On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." [fn]

Rom 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

1Cr 15:42 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable;

1Cr 15:43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power;

1Cr 15:44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

1Cr 15:45 So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being" [fn]; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.

1Cr 15:46 The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual.

1Cr 15:47 The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man from heaven.

1Cr 15:48 As was the earthly man, so are those who are of the earth; and as is the man from heaven, so also are those who are of heaven.

1Cr 15:49 And just as we have borne the likeness of the earthly man, so shall we [fn] bear the likeness of the man from heaven.

1Cr 15:50 I declare to you, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.

Col 2:17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Col 2:18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions.

Col 2:19 He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

1Pe 2:5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

Somehow I am sure this will not be sufficient for you...

Go ahead and spell out fucking, I kin take it.

Look, Good Buddy you are the one being thick here. God=Jesus=The Body of Christ=The Church. If a is equal to b and b is equal to c and c is equal to d, then d is equal to a. I'm not the one saying that the Body is God you are. Holy Mother of Pearl, at least be familiar with your own argument.

All I'm doing is pointing out the logical conclusions if it is true what Paul says about the body. Which you said is true, because as you said Paul was inspired. I'm assuming you mean that Paul was inspired by this "God" and not a fifth of Jack Daniels and a hit of acid.

Sigh, it is too bad really that Christians never actually read the book and instead just wave it around like some sort of magic wand.

Try 1 Samuel 15 verses 1, 2, and 3 for a start. Then go on to read about how Sweet Jesus sent an angel of death to kill the Egyptian firstborns. And then don't forget to read about Noah and the flood and how Jesus killed everything (including babies and kittens) except for the fuckups on the gopher wood yacht. (Not that I blame Noah for being a drunk with all those stinking bodies laying around. It must have been a horror.) And lets not leave out David the man after Jesus' own heart. You know the man who would be king, who made his living as a terrorist until God got around to offing Saul and Johnathon, the man that fucks his servants wife and then kills the servant and yet gets off the hook when Jesus tortures the resulting bastard baby to death. Not even David thought that was fair. But I suppose that Jesus couldn't just kill David because of that whole back to the future thing going on there. :Doh: I almost forgot. Read Geneses where Jesus creates all living things like cholera, ebola, HIV, flu, ticks, tape worms, trichinosis, measles, small pox, malaria, dangi fever...

I see your point, but is it possible we do not understand our world even now?

Using n.t. pauline verses doesn't change all the other verses where GOD is doing evil.

Christians are to do good in order to heap coals upon the heads of non-christians, sending them to hell. The tares will be separated from the wheat. How loving is that? Christians are to love their non-believing neighbors in a masochistic way, so they could get to heaven and help send the rest to hell.

Using n.t. pauline verses doesn't change all the other verses where GOD is doing evil.

Christians are to do good in order to heap coals upon the heads of non-christians, sending them to hell. The tares will be separated from the wheat. How loving is that? Christians are to love their non-believing neighbors in a masochistic way, so they could get to heaven and help send the rest to hell.

Who gets the coal heaping?

And the hatred is founded in the view: "I'm better than you." It's all comes from group think, that "my group is better than yours, and I'm the best in my group, so I'm very much better than you are, and therefore when I do something that seems evil, it's still good, because I mean my good things to come about, and undo all your evil things."...

I just want to point out that this is a genuine product of human nature. I.e. we evolved to be like this and once upon a time when we were wild humans it was useful for survival. Now that we are attempting to be domesticated it is not so useful. In spite of 1000's of years of domestication, stray dogs will still form packs and hunt. It is the same with us.

Agree.

This is why I think we should react to terrorism, like we react to some rare disease. Take action when necessary, and take reasonable precautions. Spending half our income on the military and having the military bomb many in hopes of killing a few terrorists is not a reasonable precaution.

I think we can't really get rid of terrorism, so I'm not sure we can see it as a disease. Well, maybe more like a disease which you know you can never get well from, but you can medicate and keep under control?

The problem with terrorism is that it's more of a word than a real thing. What one call terrorist someone else calls a freedom fighter. We can call any action of violence which is made against innocent people for the purpose of political gain, to be terrorism. There are even cases when no real act of violence had been done, only a threat of it, and it was enough to charge as terrorism. I think the Patriot Act expanded it even more, so pretty much anyone breaking American law, anywhere in the world, could be a terrorist. So not until we stop all wars, all crimes, and all competition for resources for survival, have we really gotten rid of it.

Who gets the coal heaping?

Mt. 10:36 enemies in your household

Rom5:10 unconverted are enemies of god

Phil 3:18 enemies of the cross

Jas 4:4 friends of the world are enemies of god

Rom 12 :20 enemies.

Those who are your enemies...which the bible describes above. These are god's and the believer's enemies.

Those who are your enemies...which the bible describes above. These are god's and the believer's enemies.

Where in the Bible do the 'enemies' get a heap of coal?

Where in the Bible do the 'enemies' get a heap of coal?

Proverbs, I ain't looking it up for you.

• Super Moderator

For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee.

Proverbs 25:22

Romans 12:20

Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

Proverbs, I ain't looking it up for you.

Prov 25:21-22

21 If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink:

22 For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee.

(KJV)

Nope. Thats not it.

Why can't God do that himself?

Would it not be easier for God to change the hearts of "the bad guys" than to kill them? If he created everything and can alter it anyway he sees fit then this should be pretty easy, specially since he knows the very things that would make a person change their mind and view of their environment.