Goodbye Jesus

God will come threw to you all

Guest Thegoodbook

Why do you guys spend so much time trying to disprove Christianity? Were you attacked by a group of roving Methodists? Did a Lutheran motorcycle gang run you off the road? Were you kidnapped by Catholic terrorists and held for ransom? Did a Presbyterian drop a casserole on your foot?

Authoritarian religious groups like many Christian churches or groups in other religions are the best funded and most virulent forces against human rights for gays and lesbians. As a gay man I could not support the Catholic church any more after it kept opposing equal rights legislation. That provoked me to look at the problems of Christianity as such - which are legion. There isn't much organized motivation to put GLBT people in second-class citizenship or worse that isn't fueled by some thousands-of-years-old religious text.

There are many other reasons to oppose Christianity besides this. I mention it in answer to the drift of your question, which inquires into damage done by Christianity.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• TexasFreethinker

• Eponymic

• Checkmate

Why do you guys spend so much time trying to disprove Christianity? Were you attacked by a group of roving Methodists? Did a Lutheran motorcycle gang run you off the road? Were you kidnapped by Catholic terrorists and held for ransom? Did a Presbyterian drop a casserole on your foot?

Standard "you must have left/be unbelievers because someone did something to hurt you" line of crap that we've heard countless numbers of times before...

If you want to make any sort of good impression, you'll avoid the emotional appeals "but christianity did nothing to you" and realise that most of us read the Bible, studied it, pondered on the rubbish it contains, and concluded that it's one of the worst written books of fiction that we've had the misfortune to read.

Anyway, since you like making these sweeping generalisations about groups of people, when are we going to hear the "you're just rebeling cos you're angry" or the "you don't believe because you want to be god" lines?

We've already had the "I'm right and you're wrong" claim made, so you're doing well in showing that you're here to be a pain...

Uh....didn't you ask us to disprove your argument if we could? Don't ask us for reasons why we don't believe and then act all confused when we give you a reason. :Doh:

By the way, you say

some of the best philosophers are those in the Catholic tradition.

Have you actually read the philosopy of the "best" cathloic philosophers? I find it unlikely that you've actually read anything by these people, or at the very least, understood them. I HAVE actually read these philosophers and most of there writing is absolute crap.

Agustine belived that enjoying sex was one of the worst sins a person could comit.

Aquinas presents an argument for gods existance that a 3 year old could dismantel.

And in any case, the basis of most philosophy done in the middle ages was bassed Plato (an non-christian philosopher) His concept of the perfect forms dominated all philosophical thought durring the middle ages. So all best philosophy from the middle ages wasn't even bassed on christianity. and once Aristotle was rediscoverd durring the renisance. (they imported his writings from the middle east) the entire face of philosophy in europe changed drasticly.

Next time try learning something before you start yelling that all of us are idiots.

Why do you guys spend so much time trying to disprove Christianity?

Back at ya'! Again! Why do you spend so much time trying to prove Christianity? And to ex-christians! Why aren't you in some developing country and helping sick and hungry people instead? You sit there in your nice chair infront of your computer and stick your attitude in our face, and you think Gawd will give you brownie points for this?

Were you attacked by a group of roving Methodists? Did a Lutheran motorcycle gang run you off the road? Were you kidnapped by Catholic terrorists and held for ransom? Did a Presbyterian drop a casserole on your foot?

... I recognize you... weren't you on this site a month ago under a different name?

Funny, I thought the Catholic Church was busy destroying ancient documents that they didn't agree with. Also funny how they were against anyone but priests reading the bible. Cant have folks drawing thier own conclusions now can we?

I have a friend to told me abou this site, I happen to read some posts here. I found one to be very  ignorant.

I certainly hope you're not expecting people here to be kind and nice to you in any way. Certainly not when you open your first post here with lines like "This is probably one of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen."

Sure, we're more than happy to debate things with you with a respectful manner if you show us the same courtesy. Though you can hardly expect very deep remarks or any candor when you come screaming in here with callous remarks, accusations, and conceit.

Can't even debunk my post b/c you know its true

No, it's that people don't want to give you a logical, referenced, well thought out response when you are lashing out with emotional attacks & remarks.

Because, we like exposing and discovering the truth about things. And Christianity (or you could say all religion) is the largest spread lie and deceit in history.

Guest Thegoodbook
Because, we like exposing and discovering the truth about things. And Christianity (or you could say all religion) is the largest spread lie and deceit in history.

If you subtract the specific references to Christianity from your argument, your argument can be applied to all religions. So, everyone who has faith in something intangable is an idiot, right?

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, but your position is founded on the logic that all Christians are the same. If your position were true, then every black person is the same. Every Muslum is the same, ect. This type of thinking simply isn't true, and which is why it is included as one of the falacies of logic.

The other problem with your statemets is that you are trying to use logic to prove something that is illogical -- faith. You don't prove faith, you choose to believe or not to believe.

What of the Christians who have a faith in God because of a real life experience; not some words in a book? I am a Christian, but my faith was not obtained through book nor preacher.

What of the Christians who have a faith in God because of a real life experience; not some words in a book? I am a Christian, but my faith was not obtained through book nor preacher.

This is a good place to start. Would you be willing to tell us how your faith was obtained?

All you ever spewed were that of emotion.

Stop spewing any further emotionalism and get busy debating any of us.

NOW.

Okay, I need to do my EAC homowork soon.

You see, I know that I will never convince you that God exists because you are not open to that.

That's funny, I thought I WAS open to proof of God. It's just that nobody has provided REAL proof yet.

Nothing like an ignorant opinion shouted out from the soapbox that is the internet.

*coughcough*hypocrite*cough*

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, but your position is founded on the logic that all Christians are the same. If your position were true, then every black person is the same. Every Muslum is the same, ect. This type of thinking simply isn't true, and which is why it is included as one of the falacies of logic.

No one in this thread has said that all Christians are exactly the same. All Christians are the same, however, in that all Christians at least believe in Christ (in some form), hence the name Christians.

Religion is very different than skin color as no one is born religious but people are be born black or white or whatever other color.

You said in your first post: "I know that I will never convince you that God exists because you are not open to that." You are guilty of the same over-generalizing that you accuse Eponymic of.

The other problem with your statemets is that you are trying to use logic to prove something that is illogical -- faith. You don't prove faith, you choose to believe or not to believe.

Faith may be illogical but lack of faith is not.

I am a Christian, but my faith was not obtained through book nor preacher.

You obviously heard of Christianity from somewhere, you didn't just come up with it yourself.

I have a friend to told me abou this site, I happen to read some posts here. I found one to be very  ignorant.

This is probably one of the more ignorant posts I've ever seen.

Is that threw as in threw up?

Frell, I've been lured in here again. :vent: Am I a frelling adict or what?

Chef! You're back! Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, the Goodbook.

Faith is only illogical in a certain context. For gaining knowledge, it is entirely irrelevant and can serve no purpose. As a belief without grounds in logic or fact, it is acceptable even to the point where one denies everything that they view in reality and only goes by what a book says, or by an emotional feeling.

When you put your faith in what you call God's Word, you are merely trusting that what the book says is true regardless of what the world says is true.

That is fine. But it is not epistemic.

:scratch: Why do you spend time trying to prove/defend it?

Actually I used to do it because it was fun. But then it got boring, because none of those logical theologians you go on about ever stop by.

If you subtract the specific references to Christianity from your argument, your argument can be applied to all religions. So, everyone who has faith in something intangable is an idiot, right?

You said it.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, but your position is founded on the logic that all Christians are the same.

Man, do you attack all people, all the time with the same arguments that can be used against you. Are you totally blinded, or what's the problem with you?

You made generic statements earlier that according to you applied to all atheists!

If your position were true, then every black person is the same. Every Muslum is the same, ect. This type of thinking simply isn't true, and which is why it is included as one of the falacies of logic.

But... but... isn't every Christian supposed to believe the same??? So you agree to that every Christian have their own little unique version of Christianity, so no true common faith actually can be found or defined?

Eh. Isn't that what this thread is all about, that faith is illogical, which is what we're saying, and you denying, and now you claim it is... come one... which foot are you standing on?

And my de-conversion was not from logic or reason either, but from true, real life experiences, and not illusions or dillusions or fantasies, but the pure facts of in-your-face events, that caused me to loose my faith.

Some's people harried in their beliefs...

You see, there is nothing like taking one single quotation out of context, and use it for a sweeping condemnation of a broad and diverse group

The utter mind-boggling stupidity it takes to type that out while doing the exact same thing yourself is mind-numbing.

Did they drill a hole in your brain aduring first communion, or is that level of stupidity and arrogance natural talent?

Merlin

Perhap Christians has their own conspiracy?

ECC: Evil Christian Conspiracy would be the name.

They teach stupidity and hate to children, teens and adults.

They are vying to take over the world....

So if you say that ignorance is the cornerstone of Christianity

Myths and lies are the cornerstones of Christianity, but ignorance plays a large role as well.

in the Catholic tradition, things such as reason and logic are a very core part of the religion

So it's reasonable and logical to believe, for instance, that Jesus is a Cookie? :scratch::twitch:

My brother said something interesting today about the Cross as a symbol for Christianity. How weird and sick it actually is.

Imagine that we would have the rifle that killed JFK as a peace symbol.

The Cross was the "weapon" that was used to kill Jesus. It was the tool for the punishment and murdering him. It is not a good symbol at all, but a violent and cruel image of death.

(Sorry for the hijack)

So it's reasonable and logical to believe, for instance, that Jesus is a Cookie?  :scratch:   :twitch:

No, no, see... It's reasonable and logcal to beleive that that cookie magically transforms into the flesh of Christ, while the wine turns to his blood.

See? Makes perfect sense!