Goodbye Jesus

American Atheist Plagiarizes Acharya's Work?

Guest Scott Hall

I love how he complains about us insulting Acharya S and then turns around and insults us.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Antlerman

• Rev R

• R. S. Martin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have detected not only a lack of knowledge on the part of her critics, but also, in some cases, a thinly disguised misogyny."

I don't know why I bother. I didn't even know she was a woman until long after I realized the flaws in his (now her) work. This response displays insanity, actually.

Anyone who can't handle legitimate criticism of their pet scholar which sends them off into a mad tirade like you show, demonstrates a freaked out cultist mentality. You are the nut case, and all this proves it in spades.

On a related note, I was wondering what is about this person (Achyran) that attracts such a parade of head cases like this? There are a lot of scholars out there, many just fringe, that doesn't create suicide bomber mentality followers. What is it about her?

Anyone have any ideas? Is it because it attracts those minds bent towards conspiracy theories? I'd really enjoy some others insights into this.

Is this what leaving Christianity has done for you, turned you into a bunch of rabid, vicious slanderers of people you don't even know?

It's no wonder no one intelligent ever comes in here.

I'm an intelligent person. FYI.

Phanta

Anyone have any ideas? Is it because it attracts those minds bent towards conspiracy theories? I'd really enjoy some others insights into this.

She doesn't spell it out, but there are some indications that she's a new age evangelist. I just looked into the book by Barbra Walker, "Man Made God," which is published through Murdock's publishing Stellar House. She seems to be heavy in feminism and wicca. Just let me list some of graphics and books are declared in the book:

Graphics by Barbara Walker:

The Barbara walker Tarot Deck

The I Ching of the Goddess card deck

And then books by her:

The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets

The Secrets of the Tarot: Origins, History, and Symbolism

The Essential handbook of WOmen's Spirituality and Ritual

And so on.

And some of the chapters from the book:

God the Mother

Sex Magic and Love Feasts

The Progress of Patriarchy

Witch Riches

Male-Dominant Bondage

and so on.

I get the very strong feeling that all this is connected to Wicca and some new-paganism. It's a religion, that's why you have these fundamentalists and extremists following their new prophetess.

But don't get me wrong, I'm all for a pagan religion, but it does explain the religious zeal you can see here.

And like I mentioned before, Acharya means teacher or gury in Sanskrit. Coincidence that Murdock picked that pen-name? Don't think so.

On a related note, I was wondering what is about this person (Achyran) that attracts such a parade of head cases like this? There are a lot of scholars out there, many just fringe, that doesn't create suicide bomber mentality followers. What is it about her?

Aren't some Ayn Rand followers like that too? I think the conspiracy theory thing has something to do with it but I also think it's because of good 'ol fashion persecution complex. It's like the creationists who think because all of genuine science disagrees with them, it must be because they're being persecuted and people like this revel in persecution. I'm not saying everyone who's a Jesus mythicist is like this but a lot of people in both mythicist and creationist camps seem to think consensus is irrelevant and the only reason the consensus view contradicts there's is because they're trying to persecute them and silence the truth. They're replacing one form of religious persecution complex with another form.

And like I mentioned before, Acharya means teacher or gury in Sanskrit. Coincidence that Murdock picked that pen-name? Don't think so.
Murdock is also coincidentally the same name as the owner of a certain fanatical right wing news network.

This thread simply proves my point.

Actually, every one of your posts has proved Ouroboros's point perfectly. We have done nothing but discussed things. Nobody has flung insults in this thread but you. The fact that we ridicule you after you made the outbursts you did has nothing to do with the original topic.

Is this what leaving Christianity has done for you, turned you into a bunch of rabid, vicious slanderers of people you don't even know?

Perhaps you should go back and re read this thread. You are the only one who has been a "rabid, vicious slander"...

I'd say your ex-Christianity has made NO improvement in your mental state whatsoever. You are as nasty and hateful as fundamentalist Christians.

Disagreement is not hateful speech. And for the record, no one here has really disagreed with Achrya S, we just dont agree with her presentation and some of her conclusions. Just because we are not her ass kissers does not mean we "hate" her...

*EDIT TO ADD* Can I ask you exactly what kind of disagreement we could have that would not result in you flying off the handle like you have? I am honestly asking if disagreement with you or Murdock is allowed at all, and if so, how can we voice this disagreement without incurring your wrath?

Please, carry on with your hate fest against an individual female - it shows your true colours

Sure, make it about the sex of the author. Make it about anything but the actual material and conclusions she writes about... :jerkit:

"...D.M. Murdock/Acharya S, like all authors on controversial subjects, has many critics. But they all share one commonality: They don't know what they're talking about. Murdock understands many languages and has a breadth of knowledge her critics cannot match. This fact irks the uninformed. Having given a fair hearing to some of her online detractors and their "rebuttal" videos, I have detected not only a lack of knowledge on the part of her critics, but also, in some cases, a thinly disguised misogyny."

- David Mills, atheist best-seller author of "Atheist Universe" in his review of Who Was Jesus

Since you think we are all stupid here, maybe you didnt think we would notice that quote comes from Murdock's own publishing company? Gee, isn't that kinda like quoting the bible to prove the bible is infalliable?... :scratch:

Isn't thinly veiled misgony just another way of saying it's not really there but I'm going to read what I want to in your posts anyway?

Ouroboros "there are some indications that she's a new age evangelist. I just looked into the book by Barbra Walker, "Man Made God," which is published through Murdock's publishing Stellar House."

Ouroboros "I get the very strong feeling that all this is connected to Wicca and some new-paganism. It's a religion, that's why you have these fundamentalists and extremists following their new prophetess."

Nope, that would just be you doing your typical jump to false assumptions without ever actually reading the book. Neither Barbara nor Acharya S are "Wiccan." Nor are either of them trying to start any sort of religion. And, it's stupid lies like this that I find extremely offensive and insulting.

Ouroboros "And like I mentioned before, Acharya means teacher or gury in Sanskrit. Coincidence that Murdock picked that pen-name? Don't think so. "

This has been addressed long ago. I think I've even shared the link below with you before but, you clearly have absolutely no interest in accuracy when it comes to Acharya's work. I will not tolerate your lies.

Why does Acharya S use a pen name?

Neon Genesis "Murdock is also coincidentally the same name as the owner of a certain fanatical right wing news network."

If you're referring to the Fox channel and Rupert Murdoch - you obviously couldn't be more wrong. First of all, Rupert Murdoch and her last name of Murdock are NOT the same.

This is another example for why I feel like I'm dealing with a bunch of 9 year olds here - the utter stupidity knows no bounds. All you have to offer are ad homs - it's just like dealing with fanatic Christians all over again.

Marty "Since you think we are all stupid here, maybe you didnt think we would notice that quote comes from Murdock's own publishing company? Gee, isn't that kinda like quoting the bible to prove the bible is infalliable?"

LMAO!!!

Thank you for demonstrating that you really are another home-schooled psycho with a room temperature IQ. That quote came directly from David Mills review. Afterward, it was posted on her Stellar House website with permission from David Mills. How dumb can you possibly get, Marty? Thanks for proving me correct once again.

P.S. by the way - it's infallible not "infalliable."

I feel like I'm dealing with a bunch of 9 year olds here - the utter stupidity knows no bounds. All you have to offer are ad homs - it's just like dealing with fanatic Christians all over again.

You mean like that little temper tantrum you threw saying we were a bunch of misogynist pigs because we dared to question this scholar, that it's because we hate women? You mean 9 year old ad hom attacks like that which you did?

You're far too amusing to be annoying at this point. Thanks for the show, and to boot, it's free admission. :)

Spelling-DictionaryNazi.gif

Nope, that would just be you doing your typical jump to false assumptions without ever actually reading the book. Neither Barbara nor Acharya S are "Wiccan." Nor are either of them trying to start any sort of religion. And, it's stupid lies like this that I find extremely offensive and insulting.

It's hard not to come to that conclusion based on book titles like the following:

# Barbara Walker Tarot Deck (Misc. Supplies) (1986) ISBN 1-931412-72-3

# The skeptical feminist: discovering the virgin, mother, and crone (1987) ISBN 0-06-250932-2

# The woman's dictionary of symbols and sacred objects (1988), Castle Books, ISBN 0-06-250923-3

# The crone: woman of age, wisdom, and power (1988) ISBN 0-06-250934-9

# The book of sacred stones: fact and fallacy in the crystal world (1989, with Werner P. Brodde) ISBN 0-06-250921-7

# Women's rituals: a sourcebook (1990) ISBN 0-06-250939-X

# Feminist fairy tales (1996) ISBN 0-06-251320-6

# Restoring the goddess: equal rites for modern women (2000) ISBN 1-57392-786-4

# The essential handbook of women's spirituality and ritual (2001) ISBN 1-931412-64-2

# I Ching of the Goddess: Divination Kit (Boxed Set with Cards) (2001) ISBN 1-931412-72-3

Those are some of Walker's book titles.

She might deny she is, but she is definitely attracted to the neopagan religion.

Or take this quote from Barbar Walker, "So perhaps the modern witches are on to a good thing, one that will heal some of the rifts between the sexes and bring about better relationships between people and nations. We may hope so." From "Man Made God: A Collection of Essays," by Barbara Walker.

She's most definitely into wicca. She loves it. She wants it. She hopes it would be more prominent in society.

In other words, bzzzzt, you lost.

This has been addressed long ago. I think I've even shared the link below with you before but, you clearly have absolutely no interest in accuracy when it comes to Acharya's work. I will not tolerate your lies.

And I have a hard time tolerating your stupidity and anger tantrums.

This is another example for why I feel like I'm dealing with a bunch of 9 year olds here - the utter stupidity knows no bounds.

It's because you're too stupid yourself to understand what people are saying.

All you have to offer are ad homs - it's just like dealing with fanatic Christians all over again.

You mean the ad homs that you are spreading around without cause? No one called anyone any names until you started it.

And furthermore, if we're such an annoying bunch to you, then why are you even coming here? You don't have to be here, and I don't think anyone would miss you if you left.

OMFG! I haven't seen the "Where's my Brain?" group in forever! Good to see it back! Too well earned. Good call.

OMFG! I haven't seen the "Where's my Brain?" group in forever! Good to see it back! Too well earned. Good call.

:HaHa:

I wish we had one for trolls too. But it's close enough.

Marty "Since you think we are all stupid here, maybe you didnt think we would notice that quote comes from Murdock's own publishing company? Gee, isn't that kinda like quoting the bible to prove the bible is infalliable?"

LMAO!!!

Thank you for demonstrating that you really are another home-schooled psycho with a room temperature IQ. That quote came directly from David Mills review. Afterward, it was posted on her Stellar House website with permission from David Mills. How dumb can you possibly get, Marty? Thanks for proving me correct once again.

Well, the David Mills quote that you posted came from Stellar House publishing, and when I went to the link I saw "The Christ Conspiracy" for sale along with all of Murdock's other books, so how was I wrong in my assumption?

Here is the link you provided, with the url tags removed so the address can be viewed...

- David Mills, atheist best-seller author of "Atheist Universe" in his review of Who Was Jesus

In Mills review, he says:

Yet the Wiki article on her claims she has only a Bachelor of Liberal Arts in Classics, Greek Civilization, from Franklin and Marshall College.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acharya_S

Methinks David Mills is exaggerating just a little bit regarding her credentials...

Murdock is one of only a tiny number of scholars with the richly diverse academic background (and the necessary courage) to adequately address the question of whether Jesus Christ truly existed as a walking-talking figure in first-century Palestine.
That's the funniest quote I've read all day.

I have a confession to make. I have never read anything ArchyaS says, and yet I strongly disagreed with her, no matter what I only imagined she was saying, because she is a woman. You were right Thor!

I now see the Light. I only disagreed with her because of her gender, and my petty jealousy of her Bachelor degree being slightly larger than mine. She's a goddess. I read three words in a row from her, "Jesus didn't exist", and it was all so obvious to me! Praise her name! I'm saved from my woman-hating ways. Bless her name. Thank you Jesus... oops, sorry... hang over from my fundi days. Thank you Acharya, may the Lord bless... arghhh... I can't stop it, dammit! :thanks:

Not sure why, but this makes sense to me...

jc11.jpg

Jesus, son of Dog. (Son of bitch? :scratch:)

Hey, I just realized, Joseph was probably a virgin too.

Somehow that tidbit fits in here also.

Jesus, son of Dog. (Son of bitch? :scratch:)

Hey, I just realized, Joseph was probably a virgin too.

Somehow that tidbit fits in here also.

Define "virgin". What exactly does that encompass? Then define "miracle birth". What sort of offspring does that entail? Define "earthly father". Does that entail bi-pedal creatures only?

Now to tie this to the OP, could this be the incarnation of Horus in a more common-place form, sporting a tail which wags? Could the Star of Bethlehem be an Egyptian God heralding the birth of the spotted Savior? We should compile our questions for the Scholar of All-Knowing to dazzle us with her Bachelor Degree of Insight in Egyptology, or whatever it is that qualifies her beyond being a mere wench to fetch her man's ale. :beer:

(just playing up the moron's suggestion we're misogynists for not agreeing with her wild speculations).

• 2 years later...

Wow, looks like I stumbled into a wild one here.

It's hard not to come to that conclusion based on book titles like the following:# Barbara Walker Tarot Deck (Misc. Supplies) (1986) ISBN 1-931412-72-3# The skeptical feminist: discovering the virgin' date=' mother, and crone (1987) ISBN 0-06-250932-2# The woman's dictionary of symbols and sacred objects (1988), Castle Books, ISBN 0-06-250923-3# The crone: woman of age, wisdom, and power (1988) ISBN 0-06-250934-9# The book of sacred stones: fact and fallacy in the crystal world (1989, with Werner P. Brodde) ISBN 0-06-250921-7# Women's rituals: a sourcebook (1990) ISBN 0-06-250939-X# Feminist fairy tales (1996) ISBN 0-06-251320-6# Restoring the goddess: equal rites for modern women (2000) ISBN 1-57392-786-4# The essential handbook of women's spirituality and ritual (2001) ISBN 1-931412-64-2# I Ching of the Goddess: Divination Kit (Boxed Set with Cards) (2001) ISBN 1-931412-72-3Those are some of Walker's book titles.She might deny she is, but she is definitely attracted to the neopagan religion.Or take this quote from Barbar Walker, "So perhaps the modern witches are on to a good thing, one that will heal some of the rifts between the sexes and bring about better relationships between people and nations. We may hope so." From "Man Made God: A Collection of Essays," by Barbara Walker.She's most definitely into wicca. She loves it. She wants it. She hopes it would be more prominent in society.[/quote']I don't know about that Ouroboros. The quote looks a little suspect. I think the point Barbara Walker was making in the quoted comment, which happened to be the very last couple of sentences in a chapter entitled, "Witches Past and Present," was simply that pagan religions were far more open to male-female equality and the feminine aspects of spirituality than their Abrahamic religion counterparts (Judaism, Christianity & Islam). The only way I can imagine that some one could come to the conclusion that Barbara Walker is "Wiccan" and wants everyone to become Pagan would be from not taking into account all of her books and her work over the last 40 years - especially her book entitled, "Man Made God." I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with being Pagan or Wiccan or whatever mysticism might suite someone's fancy, but in this instance it does seem like a bit of a quote mine taken out of context.Let's have a look at the quote from the surrounding context:
"... Female sexuality became an evil temptation, something to be suppressed, and neither men nor women were allowed to learn much about it. Patriarchal religions that make no provision for the feminine principle are directly responsible for sexism in all its forms.Women as well as men are quite capable of being trained to worship the idea of maleness only, even at the expense of their own self-image and self-respect, which is why women readily become adorers of the male god when every manifestation of Goddess is denied by their culture. But this domination does not really benefit the male half of humanity as much as it seems to. For many centuries, it has poisoned sexual relationships and prevented true communion between husbands and wives, mothers and sons, fathers and daughters. It has produced societies that are needlessly and destructively aggressive. It has wasted many lives and burdened people with terrible fears from childhood on—fears that are no less burdensome for being purely imaginary.So perhaps the modern witches are on to a good thing, one that will heal some of the rifts between the sexes and bring about better relationships between people and nations. We may hope so."- Man Made God, page 282
Barbara Walker is actually a columnist writer for the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF), well-known for their work to uphold the US Constitution First Amendment principle for separation of church and state as well as support for atheism for over 30 years. Her books expose and criticize all religion. Just because she discusses the history of religion (which would naturally also include Pagan religion) does not in any way make her "Wiccan," Pagan or religious to my knowledge - not that any of that is bad, but it's just that it doesn't seem to be true of her. Barbara Walker has been quite frank and open about her position against religion in her writings with the FFRF as well as the Secular Humanist and feminist communities.Here's the FFRF advertising Walker's book:‘Man Made God,’ not vice versahttp://www.ffrf.org/...not-vice-versa/Man Made God - Barbara G Walker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsnrlQR-Ovo

"Barbara G. Walker describes herself as an atheist."http://en.wikipedia....rbara_G._Walker

Two years old posts? You think people can't and bever change? I have to go back and read all the posts again to see what the issues were.

the birth of the zombie jesus is coming up...so the zombie threads are back.

Two years old posts? You think people can't and bever change? I have to go back and read all the posts again to see what the issues were.

I just thought that was an odd conclusion you drew. Understandable because she covers religious history and therefore esoteric and mystical issues, but as far as I know she does so as an atheist...

"Barbara G. Walker describes herself as an atheist."http://en.wikipedia....rbara_G._Walker

Sure. Wait. Wikipedia as a primary source? I've been racked down on for using Wikipedia in the last weeks. It's a crappy source whenever it supports my view... so, not so crappy after all I guess?

So okay. She's not into new age or paganism. The titles of the books are a bit misleading though. They do sound very new age/paganism-ish. There's nothing wrong with quoting the list of her books (from Wikipedia).

From Wikipedia (same link you gave):

Bibliography

[edit]Other works

All of those titles are very suggestive. But on the other hand, the Wiki page says this too:

In The Skeptical Feminist: Discovering the Virgin, Mother, and Crone, she writes about her belief that there is no god. However, she believes that people, and women in particular, can use the image of the goddess in their day-to-day lives. She often uses the imagery of the Mother Goddess to discuss neolithic matriarchies. Her bookWoman's Rituals: A Sourcebook is an attempt to show how she puts her "meditation techniques" into practice

So I get it. She's using the symbolism of new age and paganism to address her spirituality and meditations. Nothing wrong with that. I'm all for it.