Goodbye Jesus

What's The Craziest/stupidest Thing You Did As A Christian

Thank God I'm Atheist

always trying to convert some really good people who seems to be more deserved to be saved.

at the stairwell of the university, 2 pentecoastals praying over me to get baptised in the holy spirit, both speaking in tongues and i almost "broke into speaking in tongues" but just couldm"t fake it out

yucks

HAHAHA

1. I was about to lose my virginity to a girl I genuinely loved, but I held back at the last second because I worried she would become demon-possessed because she was not saved. That wasn't the only time I held back like that, but it was certainly the most traumatic. She was my first actual honest-to-goodness girlfriend, and we really loved each other, and Christianity ruined it utterly.

2. Whole-hearted involvement in the most insane demonic Pentecostal mumbo-jumbo imagineable. I mean, many if not most other Pentecostals would have thought we were totally nuts, and that's saying a fucking lot! It got to the point that I and a few others saw ourselves as the elite "thin white line" of spiritual warriors whose job it was to protect the One True Church from the demonic hordes of Satan. To paraphrase Phanta, we were like delusional LARPers who didn't realize it was make-believe.

3. Basically sacrificing a chunk of my life that spanned from age 15 to 27 to the worst kind of asceticism. My peni*COUGH*youth, basically. I wish I could go back just to make up for all the forsaken sexual opportunities.

I try not to think of the stupid things I did, there were a lot of them. I wrote a book review in high school of Huckleberry Finn saying how 'against god' it was. Wore a t-shirt that said 'radically saved'. Threw out hundreds of dollars of music, magazines and books.

Maybe I sort of redeemed myself when I threw out my christian stuff. I figured ignorant garbage belongs in the trash. and that way it won't poison anyone else.

Maybe I sort of redeemed myself when I threw out my christian stuff. I figured ignorant garbage belongs in the trash. and that way it won't poison anyone else.

It's a lot easier to throw that shit away, isn't it?

Yes, I got rid of lots of great music. I scared away a good young man who loved me, because I was trying to convert him. (He's a good friend now, and happy to hear I'm free of the god virus). I missed out on years of good reading about science and philosophy, among other things. Like Suzy said, I gave myself up, and became a puppet.

Probably the all-time stupidest thing I did was to actually convert my entire immediate family. My siblings "came to the Lord" when I was a teen, and then after I got married 20 years ago, my good, freethinking humanist parents became fundies because of me and they throw that back in my face every chance they get. It is my lifelong shame.

Probably the all-time stupidest thing I did was to actually convert my entire immediate family. My siblings "came to the Lord" when I was a teen, and then after I got married 20 years ago, my good, freethinking humanist parents became fundies because of me and they throw that back in my face every chance they get. It is my lifelong shame.

I'm so glad now that I never managed to convert anybody from the atheist part of my family. :HaHa:

Grandpa and grandma always used to tell me: there's no God. I was worried for them (and they were worried for me, because they saw Xtianity did no good to me). Now I know how wise they are. I really admire them, they are two of the coolest people I know.

I converted my brother. I regret it not so much because it's bullshit, but because he's prone to mental illness and it wasn't just Christianity but spooky ooky Pentecostalism that I brought him into.

Can't believe I forgot to list that.

That's pretty fucked up that they do that to you. It's not if as anyone says, "I think I feel like becoming a wacked-out fundamentalist Christian today". That shit just happens to you.

It's a lot easier to throw that shit away, isn't it?

I have to admit it felt pretty good. Another thing I could possibly do is, now that I'm able to see the madness from an outside perspective, I could write some stupid Christian book and make the money back I lost.

Now that I understand how their minds work it seems like it would be easily take advantage of them. But it's not really that, they'd getting their money's worth, satisfying their cravings. I'd just be laughing all the way to the bank.

I left every friend I had except for my boyfriend who was an aspiring pastor to be. Didn't even say a goodbye. Just moved towns, moved schools, and dissapeared. All because I thought God had told me too.

Ironically, my boyfriend left me a year after and marries another woman shortly after. ;)

Double posted. Weird. Sorry about that~

I threw out one of my wife's antique paintings of a horse because I thought it had a demon in it.

No, Ouroboros! Pigs, not horses! :)

Nearly all the stuff I had as a Christian I kept purely because I'm a packrat. (Apparently it runs in the family.) The only things I threw away were two books my parents sent to me as I was on my way out of the religion because they really pissed me off*. My parents sent them to me along with a check, which felt like a bribe. I sent the check back to them with a note about why, set the books on fire and threw them into a lake. It was very cathartic.

I do somewhat feel bad about torching the books. If I had kept them they would sit with the rest of them from that time period in my life as examples of fundamentalist literature. Every once in a while I actually have a use for them in some way or another.

* I had at that point come out to them as bisexual. The books were 1) why being a lesbian was bad** (never mind bisexuality) and 2) how to change.

** I don't remember the title of this one.

Curbed my curiosity and study of some physics/science etc...

Passed up tons of great opportunities to party my ass off. lol

Felt guilty of what is in retrospect stupid shit.

I love this question because the answer is so obvious in my particular case and it covers a lot of ground---Turn the other cheek. Now I slap people even harder if they slap me (figuratively speaking). I allowed myself to be too much of a doormat for too many years and tried to show agape love to people who were thoroughly wicked and only saw it as permission to take advantage. Now I put them in their place. I think that is ultimately much more beneficial for them, as opposed to hoping they'll see the light through kindness and a lack of consequences, which they only interpreted as weakness. Call it tough love if you want to, but there is no affection involved. I don't let anyone pull any crap with me anymore. I have no desire to forgive sociopaths, narcissists, dirty rotten scoundrels, and people who have absolutely no remorse for the vicious things they do--people who run over everyone in their path without thinking twice. I no longer feel any guilt about getting angry when the situation calls for it. I now speak my mind and I'll even cuss people out when they deserve it (these are isolated cases and not the norm). My boundaries are much stronger now. With that said, my normal demeanor is very mild and I have no problem showing compassion to good-hearted people.

• Like 1

Yeah, I took the opportunity recently to rid the house of many christian 'mementos'...don't know what to do with all my bibles and x-tian books though; sell them and make back a little money? B)

Yeah, I took the opportunity recently to rid the house of many christian 'mementos'...don't know what to do with all my bibles and x-tian books though; sell them and make back a little money? B)

That's what I would do now. Back then I was gung-ho about how evil Christianity is.

I allowed myself to be dragged to church at the beginning of every school year, purely out of fear of being expelled for not attending.

Serious : Broke up with someone that I was in love with and had been dating for a year and a half because he wasn't xtian. Thankfully, he took me back 3 months after and we are together now :)

Funny: Bought a shirt at a xtian concert that said "VIRGINITY ROCKS" and on the back "I'm Loving my husband and I haven't even met him". Actually wore it in public once.

I threw out one of my wife's antique paintings of a horse because I thought it had a demon in it.

WOW.

Oh.

My.

God.

:twitch:

hahahaha, I am stunned. I want to slap you and then buy you a beer. Wow.

I used to sing hymns to hold demons at bay.

Turned down lots of teenage girl advances (I was a teen then as well :) Burned a lot of albums from the late 60's and 70's One being my 1967 Jimi Hendrix "Are you experienced" album. Oh to be young again, but this time as an atheist!

Not JIMI! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (weeping softly)

Yes, I got rid of lots of great music. I scared away a good young man who loved me, because I was trying to convert him. (He's a good friend now, and happy to hear I'm free of the god virus). I missed out on years of good reading about science and philosophy, among other things. Like Suzy said, I gave myself up, and became a puppet.

Brain, I took a backslidden man and made a hard-core apologist of him. I know how you feel.

Serious : Broke up with someone that I was in love with and had been dating for a year and a half because he wasn't xtian. Thankfully, he took me back 3 months after and we are together now :)

Funny: Bought a shirt at a xtian concert that said "VIRGINITY ROCKS" and on the back "I'm Loving my husband and I haven't even met him". Actually wore it in public once.

OMG.

I had one that had three circles on the front, the letters were a little hard to see and each circle had one word in it:" Focus on God"......of course the circles were right across my tits and you had to stare to read it :lmao:.

An atheist probably thought of that shirt!

OMG.

I had one that had three circles on the front, the letters were a little hard to see and each circle had one word in it:" Focus on God"......of course the circles were right across my tits and you had to stare to read it :lmao:.

An atheist probably thought of that shirt!

:lmao::smile: