Goodbye Jesus

Most disliked type of Christian

Wertbag

I happened upon a Sunday Christian TV program where the priest was talking about his least favourite Christians. He said he was always disappointed in the ones who give Christianity a bad name, and the most obvious of these were the street preachers. Really what does a guy standing on a street corner, Bible in hand, yelling at the people walking passed hope to achieve? Does he expect us to drop to our knees with a Amen?

Basically these guys make Christians look like nuts, and leave everyone with the impression "I don't want to be involved with them, bunch of raving lunatics".

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Neil

• willybilly30

• Wertbag

• Mike D

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How does that joke go? "The only problem with Baptists is that we don't hold them under water long enough!"

My least favorite Christian are those with no sense of humor (cough, cough... Daniel10_12... cough, cough) who take everything you say as if it's a personal insult to their god.

When I make a joke, I'm joking. When Asimov makes a joke, he's joking.

When a Christian like that makes a joke, they're actually trying to make a point... blargh.

It's easy to dislike the fundamentalists, but the group that drives me the most nuts are the intelligent Christians who should know better, but waste their brains coming up with long, complex reasons to try & justify their staying Christian.

When the truth is we know, and deep down they know, they're just to freaking scared to leave the fold.

Guest DaoJones

The only good Christian is a dead Christian.....

I like to shock people by telling them that the problem with christians is the romans didn't feed enough of them to the lions. But as for the prosylitizing, ignorant fundie types I'd be satisfied with their head on a stick.

Just kidding. Again. Maybe.

You've got some sharp teeth, don't ya???

Welcome to the board

Hi, thanks for the welcome and as for the sharp teeth, well maybe, probably just a big resentment, though I haven't figured out why I dislike them so much. I think all religions suck but the jews for instance don't bother me at all compared with the animosity I have for the xtians. And I don't really have any serious horror stories to tell other than the usual dimwit telling me I'd better suck up to Jaysus or burn. As if. It's really funny, I still believe in a god but I have found atheists and agnostics to be a far better crowd of folks to hang with than most of the religious people. They've never given me half the shit I've gotten from the god squad. In fact they normally are pretty respectful, I don't preach to them and they don't tell me I'm full of shit. Go figure.

Guest DaoJones

It's easy to dislike the fundamentalists, but the group that drives me the most nuts are the intelligent Christians who should know better, but waste their brains coming up with long, complex reasons to try & justify their staying Christian.

When the truth is we know, and deep down they know, they're just to freaking scared to leave the fold.

I have observed some things that make me think you are right on both counts. Yes it is easier to dislike the fundies but most realize they are morons. It's quite likely that some mainstream xtians dislike them more than we do.

On your second point; I never thought about it until recently but it does seem that many fear death so much they take dubious comfort from religion and the "promise" of a happier afterlife. I think another factor is the sense of family/community and acceptance one gets being a part of something bigger than oneself like a church or religion. It's sad that some need acceptance so badly they are willing to buy into the most ridiculous nonsense imaginable.

Individuals who say "evolution is wrong" when they are only referring to the monkey to man thing...evolution as it is defined is something that just happens everyday, a change over time, which most of these people would agree with were it termed something different.

People who talk about xianity like everyone believes in it and like prophecy and end times and talking/hearing from god are all normal.

There's a few I don't like, but probably my least favorite has to be White Collar Fundy. They're the Pat Robertsons, Rush Limbughs, and Timmothy LaHales or the world. The kind of people who appear all high-and-mighty and "moral", they're incredibly arrogant and hypocritical, but start throwing tantrums and/or act as if they're the ones who are persecuted if someone calls their bluff or things are going the way they want them to.

Then there's one I refer to as the Cold-Heart. This is the fundy who is so stuck on the idea that they are going to Heaven that any other problems in the real world don't phase them unless it goes against whatever televangelist they're following tells them. They tend to be incredibly cynical and are probably have very miserable home lifes.

Now the Scaredy-Cat Fundy has it's moments of being annouying, but there's some hope for this breed since they tend to be one of the nicer and with the right direction they just might be able to let go of their fear. What makes them annouying is how scared they are of the outside world. They get nervous at the very presence of anything they are taught is bad.

The Millitant is more dangerous than annouying. You have the Muslim terrorists in the Middle East, but they can come in any form. They have an intense hatrid toward worldly things, though how agressive they are varies.

I think it's the anti-evolutionists for me, or any other group that tries to reinterpret scientific facts via pseudoscientific means (like that "What the *bleep* do we Know?" vid). They're trying to ground their beliefs in science, when they know jack shit.

The worst kind of Christian? One that says this.....

"Atheists can never be as ethical as Christians"

Christians who use TAG.

Christians who use TAG.

What, you don't like Christians who use body spray? I don't - oh... I get it.

Anyway, I don't like the people who are trying to put their religion into holidays that don't need it and/or never had it.

I get really irritated by Christians who don't have a clue about their own chruch history and believe everything they hear in church as fact just because they hear it in church.

I had a conversation with someone who was Baptist who was going on about the "Mary Worshiping Catholics" and how Catholics were all going to hell.

I told her that Protestantism had only been around for some 400 years. Before the Reformation everyone in the Western world was Catholic and I asked her if all of those people though out history were in hell.

She said, "Um...I don't know."

She had never heard of the Reformation.

Guest DaoJones

Absolutely! I am generalizing here but in my own experience I have found atheists to be far more willing to adhere to their ethics than any religious person I've known.

Now the Scaredy-Cat Fundy has it's moments of being annouying, but there's some hope for this breed since they tend to be one of the nicer and with the right direction they just might be able to let go of their fear. What makes them annouying is how scared they are of the outside world. They get nervous at the very presence of anything they are taught is bad.

I've talked to Christians that believe the whole world was a pit of evil as fortold by the Bible. "Crime is on the increase, homosexuals are now around when they weren't in my day, violence on TV and video games, and theres more war than ever before! Its the end of days!"

Of course there hasn't been a major war since Veitnam 40 years ago, and its been 60 years since the last world war... Christ obviously missed a good chance to return there.

Why is it that some Christians can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality? So many of them say Dungeons & Dragons, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, computer games, TV shows and movies are all evil and lead us to sin. I've watched 'em all, played 'em all and not once have I wanted to start gunning people down or join some whacky devil cult.

There was a test done with children and cartoon violence to see how it effected them. Basically it didn't. Turned out that children saw the images and automatically knew they did not match the real world, so didn't link them.

Absolutely! I am generalizing here but in my own experience I have found atheists to be far more willing to adhere to their ethics than any religious person I've known.

I'd say it is easier for one to adhere to one's own ethics than a prepackaged set of ethics.

Well haven't you seen those commercials where the guy uses TAG bodyspray and the girls all want to bang him? We don't need Christians using the stuff, because then they'll get laid, and the next thing you know, they'll making little Christianites to teach their wicked theology to. Down with TAG!

What is TAG?
Actually, TAG is the Transcendental Argument for God. It's the most annoying argument the Christians have, because even if you refute it, they'll just behave as though your refutation actually proves TAG. They insist on such canards as saying that atheists can't account for logic, as though logic is something that has to be created and is floating out in space somewhere.

Just take a little bit of misdirection, add a pinch of equivocation, and top it off with ad hominems and the argument from ignorance, and you've got TAG. Total and complete bullshit.

The ones who say, "Attitude Check: Praise the Lord!" always made me want to slap 'em up the side of the head.

And the newly converted "Hotter for God Than You" types who spouted off the most inane, Hallmark-card jingles and called them "Love" were particularly annoying. You know the kind: "God is just like a rainbow, and I am his prism" sort of half baked metaphors. Yucko.

Well haven't you seen those commercials where the guy uses TAG bodyspray and the girls all want to bang him? We don't need Christians using the stuff, because then they'll get laid, and the next thing you know, they'll making little Christianites to teach their wicked theology to. Down with TAG!

Over here, those are Lynx commercials...

Lynx effect

Guest tonymaratin

I don't at all mind most Catholics. On the other hand Fundies, who think everyone should be saved, drive me crazy. I've been in laundromats where they walk in carrying the Bible trying to save sinners.

Of course there hasn't been a major war since Veitnam 40 years ago, and its been 60 years since the last world war... Christ obviously missed a good chance to return there.

Um...you're forgetting the Iraq war. It's being equated to Vietnam now.

Um...you're forgetting the Iraq war. It's being equated to Vietnam now.

No I didn't forget the Gulf wars, I'd just said major conflict and neither gulf war counts as that. Does it count as a war when one side doesn't fight back? They are saying there have been more loses from the terrorist activity since the war ended than in the conflict itself. Hardly comparable to Vietnam which had over a million casualites (1 million vietcong, 50-60 thousand US troops, and the thousands of civilians) through years of prolonged warfare.

The Christians I want to beat the hell out of are the ones who say things like "God said it, I believe it, that settles it". That kind of a closed mind completely aggravates me.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some of those in my town he plays a guitar singing gospel songs another one carries a radio he followed me down the street once damn he can't sing he sounds like dying cow.

I happened upon a Sunday Christian TV program where the priest was talking about his least favourite Christians. He said he was always disappointed in the ones who give Christianity a bad name, and the most obvious of these were the street preachers. Really what does a guy standing on a street corner, Bible in hand, yelling at the people walking passed hope to achieve? Does he expect us to drop to our knees with a Amen?

Basically these guys make Christians look like nuts, and leave everyone with the impression "I don't want to be involved with them, bunch of raving lunatics".

I hate it when you ask questions to Christians on this forum questions and they will not even try to answer. If you say, the bible is not proof. They go silent. I mean sure there is going to be questions you cannot answer they could at least say I do not know or do some research. Besides spouting catch phrases and mumbo jumbo, that does not make sense.

I also do not like what I call witnessing trolls they really do not give a damn about trying to answer the topic they just want to try to save your soul so they dance around your topic or questions spouting bible verses.

It amazes me how Christians on this forum is so easy to stump and back into a corner damn is their any Christian on this forum who is not a wuss and knows their shit?