Goodbye Jesus

Great Quotes Thread

mcdaddy

It was just a matter of time.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

It was just a matter of time.

"It is my feeling that Time ripens all things; with Time all things are revealed; Time is the father of truth." - Francois Rabelias

"Obama sucks ass" --Legion

• Like 1

"The gods of the Disc have never bothered much about judging the souls of the dead, and so people only go to hell if that's where they believe, in their deepest heart, that they deserve to go. Which they won't do if they don't know about it. This explains why it is so important to shoot missionaries on sight." ― Terry Pratchett, Eric

"A sense of humor...is superior to any religion so far devised."

― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume

"Suppose neutral angels were able to talk, Yahweh and Lucifer – God and Satan, to use their popular titles – into settling out of court. What would be the terms of the compromise? Specifically, how would they divide the assets of their early kingdom?

Would God be satisfied the loaves and fishes and itty-bitty thimbles of Communion wine, while Satan to have the red-eye gravy, eighteen-ounce New York Stakes, and buckets of chilled champagne? Would God really accept twice-a-month lovemaking for procreative purposes and give Satan the all night, no-holds-barred, nasty "can’t-get-enough-of-you" hot-as-hell-fucks?

Think about it. Would Satan get New Orleans, Bangkok, and the French Riviera and God get Salt Lake City? Satan get ice hockey, God get horseshoes? God get bingo, Satan get stud poker? Satan get LSD; God, Prozac? God get Neil Simon; Satan Oscar Wilde?"

― Tom Robbins

Welcome to Ex-C Cestlavie, I love your quotes!

These are my three favorites though--but I think that I'm making my new life's motto, "A sense of humor...is superior to any religion so far devised" :)

digging it 3.gif

"Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning." - Joseph Campbell

<applause> :)

A common mistake that people make when trying do design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Douglas Adams

• Like 1

I am increasingly convinced that the time has come to find a way of thinking about spirituality and ethics beyond religion altogether.

The Dalai Lama

• Like 3

"Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich". -unknown

• Like 2

"God says do what you wish, but make the wrong choice and you will be tortured for eternity in hell. That sir, is not free will. It would be akin to a man telling his girlfriend, do what you wish, but if you choose to leave me, I will track you down and blow your brains out. When a man says this we call him a psychopath and cry out for his imprisonment. When god says the same we call him "loving" and build churches in his honor." -William C. Easttom II

• Like 1

"God says do what you wish, but make the wrong choice and you will be tortured for eternity in hell. That sir, is not free will. It would be akin to a man telling his girlfriend, do what you wish, but if you choose to leave me, I will track you down and blow your brains out. When a man says this we call him a psychopath and cry out for his imprisonment. When god says the same we call him "loving" and build churches in his honor." -William C. Easttom II

I like that one. Who is he, the owner of the quote that is?

No idea. Google t! :P

"When we look out upon the Earth we see a scene of life and death. The power of the carnivore's armament seems indominable. But fewer recognize the mighty power of cooperation, of symbiosis, or even the way organism itself exists. The lion's teeth and claws are one with lion's tail. Its very life is made possible by a living unity. Mountains may crumble, seas may shift, individual organisms may die, entire planets may be sterilized, but living unity will prevail in the universe because it is urged forward by the web of relations which comprise causality itself."

• Like 1

'Tis education forms the common mind; as the twig is bent, so the tree's inclined."

Alexander Pope

"Quoting yourself is a sign of ego" - Inqui

"The trouble with Communism is the Communists, just as the trouble with Christianity is the Christians." - H L Mencken

I'm finding this one really useful when it comes to dealing with religious folk, also Mencken:

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."

"The believing mind is externally impervious to evidence. The most that can be accomplished with it is to induce it to substitute one delusion for another. It rejects all overt evidence as wicked..."

Finally, this one's pretty deep:

"Christianity, for all its wounds, is not likely to die; even its forms will not die; the forms, indeed will preserve what remains of the substance. Of all religions ever devised by man, it is the one that offers the most for the least money to the average man of our time. This man may be very briefly described. He had enough education to make him view all religions somewhat critically, to make him competent to weight and estimate them, particularly in terms of their capacity to meet his own problems—but not enough to analyze the concepts underlying them. Such an analysis leads inevitably to agnosticism; a man who once reaches the point of examining religions as psychological phenomena, without regard to the ostensible authority, always ends by rejecting all of them. But the average man is incapable of any such examination, and his incapacity not only safeguards his religion but also emphasizes his need of it. He must have someanswer to the maddening riddle of existence, and, being unable to work out a logical or evidential answer, he is thrown back upon a mystical answer.

This mystical answer is religion. It is a transcendental solace in the presence of the intolerable. It is a stupendous begging of questions that nevertheless disposes of them. Of all such answers Christianity is at once the simplest and the most reassuring. It is protean and elastic; it has infinite varieties; it has comfort both for the man revolting despairingly against reason or congenitally incapable of reason, and for the man whose capacity for reason stops just short of intelligence. It is, at its best, a profound inner experience, a kind of poetry that is lived—call it Catholicism. It is, at its worst, a game of supernatural politics—call it Methodism. But in either case it organizes and gives a meaning to life. In either case it soothes the man who is too weak to stand up single-handed against the eternal and intolerable mysteries."

• Like 2

Inqui, you're giving me a serious girlie hard-on for Mencken.

"When the poor give to the rich, the devil laughs." -- proverb seen in the autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini

• Like 1

Inqui, you're giving me a serious girlie hard-on for Mencken.

Akheia,now that's a definite keeper. I think that I have a new favorite snobbish literary quote! Samuel Taylor Coleridge has nothing on you! :)

538327_487624831253843_863193168_n.jpg
  • Like 3

Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much of life. So aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something. -Henry David Thoreau

Some believers accuse skeptics of having nothing left but a dull, cold, scientific world. I am left with only art, music, literature, theatre, the magnificence of nature, mathematics, the human spirit, sex, the cosmos, friendship, history, science, imagination, dreams, oceans, mountains, love, and the wonder of birth. That’ll do for me.

Lyanne Kelly

• Like 1

"Altruism is not merely a religious ideal, it is an indispensable requirement for humanity at large."

The Dalai Lama

"Altruism is not merely a religious ideal, it is an indispensable requirement for humanity at large."

The Dalai Lama

I had to use that one. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

(on the implications of finding life beyond Earth) "The arrogance of thinking we're unique would be dealt a swift blow, and I can't wait for that to happen.".  -Dr. Richard Leakey

"Oh, Fuck Off!" ~ Unknown

Unconditional love is a characteristic of the Christian faith, such as that demonstrated by

God in the form of a place of eternal torture for

the unsaved.

Anonymous

Huh. Torture for the unsaved as unconditional love. . . <scratches her forehead> Why does that quote make me think of S & M?

Ooh: KINKY! Spank me baby, and call me a BAD Pagan!

The OT sometimes refers to Xians collectively (the Church) as "the bride of Christ." Hosea 2:2-13 and Ezekiel 16:1-42 personify Israel as a naughty wife whom God punishes. The Bible taught me about BDSM--it's dirtier than most people think it is. ;)