Goodbye Jesus

I'm Here To Provide Answers To Your Questions ... Please Try Me

Doug

That makes BOTH of us (not understanding what I'm saying) ROFL

I've been told I remind people of the actor (from Jaws) Richard Dreyfuss but my sarcasm reminds them of my hero - the late and great George Carlin. I just bought his bio, Last Words, and am looking forward to reading it. The very first page of it had me cracking up so I can't wait until I get to the rest of it.

lol glad I'm not the only one!

That may be who your vocal inflections remind me of- George Carlin. A lot of his humour wasn't just what he said, but how he said it.

I had put out a video on YouTube showing snippets of an interview he had years ago with Dennis Miller. It was totally anti-war and he had me rolling, once more, especially when he said he loves seeing things blow up. He even shocked Miller with some of the stuff he was saying about war in general - things which needed to be said.

Ok, Doug the Troll, I'll bite. Here's a question, or more of a challenge if you will:

Justify Judges 11:29-40

Won't quote the whole thing but it's about ritualistic human sacrifice of children,

only this time the protagonist actually kills his daughter unlike the cute little abraham

and isaac story where god steps in at the last minute and everything is cool.

Let's see what you got, buddy.

Okay, I didn't read the whole passage, but I'm sure it's like the others. Here's the deal ...

God's Plan was to produce His Messiah--Redeemer--Savior through the tiny nation of Israel.

Guess what, to do this God had to protect Israel from their more powerful enemies!

Enemies bent on destroying them. So, God had to fight some of their battles.

This also displayed to others why Israel called Him "Almighty God", etc.

Sometimes He thought it best to wipe out everything in sight ... as a big deterant for the future.

Heads up! ...

These people were destined for Hell anyway, so what's the big deal with going a few years early?

Which goes back to WHY was ALL of mankind destined to be separated from God.

I think all of you probably know that answer. But believing it is another matter, right?

It's all about belief and unbelief ... in God's spiritual Truth.

Believers get to spend eternity with God ... so, it's best to be a believer.

I went back to the very beginning of this crap to see, exactly, what ole dougie wrote to have caused the reaction. I came across this, something I've heard from the other so called apologists. Doug, if you are lurking, all I gotta say is you are ONE SICK FUCK. Justifying the killing of kids? You don't see anything wrong with that?
  • Like 1

Ok, Doug the Troll, I'll bite. Here's a question, or more of a challenge if you will:

Won't quote the whole thing but it's about ritualistic human sacrifice of children,

only this time the protagonist actually kills his daughter unlike the cute little abraham

Okay, I didn't read the whole passage, but I'm sure it's like the others. Here's the deal ...

God's Plan was to produce His Messiah--Redeemer--Savior through the tiny nation of Israel.

Guess what, to do this God had to protect Israel from their more powerful enemies!

Sometimes He thought it best to wipe out everything in sight ... as a big deterant for the future.

Heads up! ...

These people were destined for Hell anyway, so what's the big deal with going a few years early?

I think all of you probably know that answer. But believing it is another matter, right?

I went back to the very beginning of this crap to see, exactly, what ole dougie wrote to have caused the reaction. I came across this, something I've heard from the other so called apologists. Doug, if you are lurking, all I gotta say is you are ONE SICK FUCK. Justifying the killing of kids? You don't see anything wrong with that?

I have been looking forward to having a debate with him, but I guess we could keep this thread alive, as a kind vigil to his memory. Maybe he was raptured!!

all I gotta say is you are ONE SICK FUCK. Justifying the killing of kids? You don't see anything wrong with that?

Ive not been following this thread, but from the look of things Doug is a fundie. Some xians take the bible very literally, even atrocities from the OT.

Heads up! ...

I have been looking forward to having a debate with him, but I guess we could keep this thread alive, as a kind vigil to his memory. Maybe he was raptured!!

A 'debate' with him? Are you serious? LOL

And regarding the 'rapture' in case you, or others don't know it, that whole crap of theology was made up back in the mid to late 1800s by an intinerant preacher in the western part of our country (source - Gene Edwards, historian).

all I gotta say is you are ONE SICK FUCK. Justifying the killing of kids? You don't see anything wrong with that?

Ive not been following this thread, but from the look of things Doug is a fundie. Some xians take the bible very literally, even atrocities from the OT.

Oh really? (they take the bible literally)... LOL

I showed my wife that thing he wrote and she reminded me of something I was taught decades ago. I'd taken bible courses from the deceased Jerry Falwell's Liberty bible college. They taught this verse from Judges along with other ones that were problematical for evangelists to deal with. Their rational for this? Well they said almost word for word what Dougie wrote and in addition they said that if the children were allowed to mature into adults they'd probably would have committed more crimes against other people. So, according to the twisted logic, God was doing them a favor by whacking them.

From a personal standpoint - this is identical to the mentally disturbed parent that would beat the living crap out of me almost daily and say she was 'doing it for my own good'....

And regarding the 'rapture' in case you, or others don't know it, that whole crap of theology was made up back in the mid to late 1800s by an intinerant preacher in the western part of our country (source - Gene Edwards, historian).

Can't debate someone who has no critical thinking skills. Doug has none. I think now I'm hanging out on this thread for the sake of those who might be lurking and wondering.

And yeah, I'd reckon most of us are pretty well aware of the source of the Rapture myth. It's one more reason to reject evangelical theology. Those nutbags think they're following the "one truth faith," the ancient form of Christianity, but they're about as far from it as, well, I am ;)

Can't debate someone who has no critical thinking skills. Doug has none. I think now I'm hanging out on this thread for the sake of those who might be lurking and wondering.

And yeah, I'd reckon most of us are pretty well aware of the source of the Rapture myth. It's one more reason to reject evangelical theology. Those nutbags think they're following the "one truth faith," the ancient form of Christianity, but they're about as far from it as, well, I am wink.png

Welcome and something you wrote triggered a thought - I'd spent a considerable amount of time reading the 'church fathers' (as they're known by the church anyway) writings. People like Eusebus, Ireneaus, Tertullian, et. al.

So one day I'm plodding through one of their writings and a cinder block, metaphorically speaking, came down and hit me upside the head via an epiphany. These jokers are actually following a form of religiousity that generated from the 3rd-5th centuries and later! It has nothing to do with the actual 1st century folks. All of that guilt and sin crap comes from the twisting of verses by the so called church fathers who wrote during those later centuries I spoke of.

Absolutely. My entire Christian walk was one stepping-stone to another of me trying to get closer and closer to "real" Christianity. I got more and more fringe in my beliefs and practices because I thought I was moving toward the Apostles. Then when I hit the Pentecostal Church, the next step would have been a bizarre, weirdly sexualized communal cult (based, crazily enough, 1/4 mile from Koresh's compound), but I thankfully got my head on straight around then and realized that most of Christianity is cultural (which led me to wondering why we then followed this rule but not that one in the Bible). Then I hit college and realized that there was absolutely nothing in Christianity that hadn't been in a half-dozen other mystery religions floating around at the time, and Jesus' story is absolutely unproven in any material way--and moreover he's oddly similar to the other contemporary religions' resurrected god-men. When I finally found the original Christianity, it wasn't in the Bible--it was in history books and comparative mythology.

There was no "there," there.

Wait! What??? eek.gif The rapture isin't true? I was really really looking forward to the day when all the fundytards would finally float away. And now you tell me I have nothing to look forward to? angry.png

<bangs head on desk>

Just one more myth blown to hell. vent.gif My world is being shattered over and over. wacko.png

What's next? The moon is not really glowing on it's own?huh.png

<calls Batman to try and come up with a new plan to send the fundies into space, possibly to Eris>

Absolutely. My entire Christian walk was one stepping-stone to another of me trying to get closer and closer to "real" Christianity. I got more and more fringe in my beliefs and practices because I thought I was moving toward the Apostles. Then when I hit the Pentecostal Church, the next step would have been a bizarre, weirdly sexualized communal cult (based, crazily enough, 1/4 mile from Koresh's compound), but I thankfully got my head on straight around then and realized that most of Christianity is cultural (which led me to wondering why we then followed this rule but not that one in the Bible). Then I hit college and realized that there was absolutely nothing in Christianity that hadn't been in a half-dozen other mystery religions floating around at the time, and Jesus' story is absolutely unproven in any material way--and moreover he's oddly similar to the other contemporary religions' resurrected god-men. When I finally found the original Christianity, it wasn't in the Bible--it was in history books and comparative mythology.

There was no "there," there.

Talk about being too close to the fire - 1/4 mile from Koresh's place. Where you around when the crap hit fan over there?

Wait! What??? eek.gif The rapture isin't true? I was really really looking forward to the day when all the fundytards would finally float away. And now you tell me I have nothing to look forward to? angry.png

<bangs head on desk>

Just one more myth blown to hell. vent.gif My world is being shattered over and over. wacko.png

<calls Batman to try and come up with a new plan to send the fundies into space, possibly to Eris>

Everybody knows that the moon only glows because the sun hides right behind it. What's that? The sun is so much bigger than the moon and can't hide behind it? That's easy to explain away - the sun actually shrinks before hiding behind the moon because it's very shy you know. LOL

And the bad news is you're right, they won't be raptured. But the good news is you're right, they won't be raptured... LOL

Talk about being too close to the fire - 1/4 mile from Koresh's place. Where you around when the crap hit fan over there?

I was in Houston, but a bunch of my friends had left the UPC for "The Farm" (I think it had another name but that was what they all called it) at the time with this bizarre prophetic idea that "the cloud had moved" to settle above this cult. They were scared shitless because they were way worse abuse-wise than Koresh's group, and had a fuckerload more guns, but apparently the gubmint didn't notice them as they charged in on Koresh's compound. At the time they took it to be God's divine approval and protection, alas. My Evil Ex had wanted to go to the Farm until Koresh got raided; like most fundies, he didn't like the idea of actual risk and effort. I don't know what became of them or if they still exist, but I don't think they lasted all that long; all of my friends eventually left the group with the most sordid tales of physical and sexual abuse and the most pitiful emotional and physical scars, and most deconverted entirely from Christianity afterward. With that kind of turnover it's hard to imagine any sort of longevity. Like viruses, cults can't destroy their victims TOO quickly or they can't last.

I was in Houston, but a bunch of my friends had left the UPC for "The Farm" (I think it had another name but that was what they all called it) at the time with this bizarre prophetic idea that "the cloud had moved" to settle above this cult. They were scared shitless because they were way worse abuse-wise than Koresh's group, and had a fuckerload more guns, but apparently the gubmint didn't notice them as they charged in on Koresh's compound. At the time they took it to be God's divine approval and protection, alas. My Evil Ex had wanted to go to the Farm until Koresh got raided; like most fundies, he didn't like the idea of actual risk and effort. I don't know what became of them or if they still exist, but I don't think they lasted all that long; all of my friends eventually left the group with the most sordid tales of physical and sexual abuse and the most pitiful emotional and physical scars, and most deconverted entirely from Christianity afterward. With that kind of turnover it's hard to imagine any sort of longevity. Like viruses, cults can't destroy their victims TOO quickly or they can't last.

thanks for sharing that. It's painful to hear those kinds of stories since most involve abuse of all stripes. The psychological games they play on people are probably just as hurtful as any other kind and probably stay the longest because it's in your head and your mind can be your worse enemy until you purge the crap out of your head. thanks again.

<bangs head on desk>

Everybody knows that the moon only glows because the sun hides right behind it. What's that? The sun is so much bigger than the moon and can't hide behind it? That's easy to explain away - the sun actually shrinks before hiding behind the moon because it's very shy you know. LOL

And the bad news is you're right, they won't be raptured. But the good news is you're right, they won't be raptured... LOL

I'm not sure why the Sun is so shy, everyone thinks the Sun is really really hot! wub.png

• Like 1

None of your answers are new, Doug; we've heard them before. We are here because we reject them. We have come up with more satisfying answers or decided we can live with uncertainty.

I have a question for you, though, relating to your first comment: why does God want us to worship him?

Hi, I'm filling in for Dougie because he ain't feelin' so good lately. LOL I think they as in they of the church told him that if he simply came over here and browbeat everyone then people would fall on their knees, repent of their vile ways, and follow him like the mice with the Pied Piper back to his church. LOL

In answer to your question - there are numerous answers:

1. He's a very lonely person

2. He's a narcissist

3, He's God so we gotta do exactly what He wants us to do no matter how absurd it seems - I mean, just look at all of the aholes around who begin a sentence with "God told me..."

4. Actually he doesn't give a crap if you worship him or not

Okay, 'nuff of the jokes. I think Augustine put it best and it has NOTHING to do with worship per se. He said "love God and do what you want"

The implication being not that you'd go off and do some pretty bad things but that if you walk in the spiritual light of whatever reality you possess, you will only do good (for the most part anyway). I'm no expert - that's just my 2 cents okay?

The #4 god I can live with. Not that it matters. I have to believe in something to worship it, and even then it's not likely. I'm not the reverent sort. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

None of your answers are new, Doug; we've heard them before. We are here because we reject them. We have come up with more satisfying answers or decided we can live with uncertainty.

I have a question for you, though, relating to your first comment: why does God want us to worship him?

Hi, I'm filling in for Dougie because he ain't feelin' so good lately. LOL I think they as in they of the church told him that if he simply came over here and browbeat everyone then people would fall on their knees, repent of their vile ways, and follow him like the mice with the Pied Piper back to his church. LOL

In answer to your question - there are numerous answers:

1. He's a very lonely person

2. He's a narcissist

3, He's God so we gotta do exactly what He wants us to do no matter how absurd it seems - I mean, just look at all of the aholes around who begin a sentence with "God told me..."

4. Actually he doesn't give a crap if you worship him or not

Okay, 'nuff of the jokes. I think Augustine put it best and it has NOTHING to do with worship per se. He said "love God and do what you want"

The implication being not that you'd go off and do some pretty bad things but that if you walk in the spiritual light of whatever reality you possess, you will only do good (for the most part anyway). I'm no expert - that's just my 2 cents okay?

The #4 god I can live with. Not that it matters. I have to believe in something to worship it, and even then it's not likely. I'm not the reverent sort. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Just caught your reply and gotta agree totally. That's where I'm heading towards myself..

The world makes a lot more sense if you think that if there are gods in it who aren't total monsters, they can't possibly give a shit what people think of them any more than the president of Dow Chemical knows or cares what I think of him.

Most of the people here are not interested in "persecuting" you, Doug. That is a common misconception, though.

All right, here is a question: Are you going to tell me that 1 Peter 3:1-6, if you read the passage before it, does not discourage women from defending themselves against abusive husbands? I am not saying the Bible tells men they can beat their wives; as far as I know, it doesn't. However, this bit sounds like it is encouraging women not to stand up for themselves.

• Super Moderator

Hey Doug, while you're explaining 1 Peter 3:1-6, how about giving this one a go too (and don't even try the "It's the O.T." crap).

Deuteronomy 25:11-12

New International Version (NIV)

11 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

Anxiously awaiting, but not holding my breath.

Why should I worship anything? Really, what is the point of worshipping something simply because I can't see it? On the off-chance that it might be there? You know, the longer I'm out, the more crazy it all seems.

Guest Valk0010

Why should I worship anything? Really, what is the point of worshipping something simply because I can't see it? On the off-chance that it might be there? You know, the longer I'm out, the more crazy it all seems.

Welcome to the world. :D
  • Like 1

Welcome to the world. biggrin.png

Sometimes, I have trouble believing that I ever believed to begin with. Actually, that in itself is becoming a little problematic, because I'm occasionally starting to forget that other people do actually believe in it all, and I'll run off my mouth, disparaging religion and saying things like I hope no-one gets their morals from the bible to people I don't really know, and the thought will suddenly strike me: 'oh shit, are they a christian?'

Guest Valk0010

Welcome to the world. biggrin.png

Sometimes, I have trouble believing that I ever believed to begin with. Actually, that in itself is becoming a little problematic, because I'm occasionally starting to forget that other people do actually believe in it all, and I'll run off my mouth, disparaging religion and saying things like I hope no-one gets their morals from the bible to people I don't really know, and the thought will suddenly strike me: 'oh shit, are they a christian?'

I am still around it enough that, I know perfectly well why people believe in it, and sometimes even that fact alone reminds me why I can't ever believe it again.

And again, why do you feel you are qualified to teach us?

Because he's an Xian and they think that if we just had all the facts and could admit how much we really need X, then we would all be tripping over each other to grovel at Gawd's feet.