Goodbye Jesus

Gays Are Just "acting Out"

mcdaddy

It's not often that I encounter people like that anymore, but it used to be quite common. Those are the xians that I detest the most. Dishonest, two faced, hypocrites. Love me or hate me, but just be honest about it.

Yeah, and these'll be the fundies who bray the loudest about "WELL I HAS GAY FRENNNNNNZZZZZZZ" as if that makes their ensuing bigoted statements okay. Gasp! Staple back of hand to forehead! They know them some gay people! Get the smelling salts! Yeah, I just bet you have you some gay friends, Captain Twatcookie. Bet they just luv you to pieces.

• Like 1

I wanted to share this antique propoganda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x78SU6DoMOk

Most of it seems like general safety information that could apply to any situation. However I feel like the first story with "Jimmy" seems like Jimmy is the one who is taking advantage of the Ralph. Sugar daddy anyone?

I also wanted to comment that someone mentioned getting to know gays to help people change their mind. I agree with that. However I have met people who have become very close friends with gay people and they still default back to the sin garbage. It's really creepy to encounter this type of person. They spend time with gay friends, invite them into their home and everything but they still hold that nasty "burn in hell" attitude, and they would vote against their friends having the same civil rights as everyone else.

It's not often that I encounter people like that anymore, but it used to be quite common. Those are the xians that I detest the most. Dishonest, two faced, hypocrites. Love me or hate me, but just be honest about it.

This stupid "Sid Davis" production did more damage to me than anything in my life that I can remember. It was produced in Southern California where I grew up and every elementary student was required to watch all his drivel. I saw it in 1970 in 5th grade. I knew I was attracted to boys by 4th grade and it scared the shit out of me when I saw this film. Then I saw this and my lfe went into a tailspin. It was an authority figure telling me that 'Homosexuals" are all perverts that want to molest young boys. The perv in the picture was never identifed as a pedophile, only as a Homosexual. I lived in fear of the day I grew up and wanted to start molesting boys. It was horrible.

This stupid "Sid Davis" production did more damage to me than anything in my life that I can remember. It was produced in Southern California where I grew up and every elementary student was required to watch all his drivel. I saw it in 1970 in 5th grade. I knew I was attracted to boys by 4th grade and it scared the shit out of me when I saw this film. Then I saw this and my lfe went into a tailspin. It was an authority figure telling me that 'Homosexuals" are all perverts that want to molest young boys. The perv in the picture was never identifed as a pedophile, only as a Homosexual. I lived in fear of the day I grew up and wanted to start molesting boys. It was horrible.

That's so horrible, IBF. I can't imagine how awful that would have been to grow up with a fear like that :( What arseholes. We have much to be ashamed about as a human race.

That's so horrible, IBF. I can't imagine how awful that would have been to grow up with a fear like that sad.png What arseholes. We have much to be ashamed about as a human race.

If you read the comments in YouTube for this video you will find many Christians who claim this is how we should still teach children about homosexuality. If they can scare one gay kid into a life of loneliness, misery and celibacy, then they feel they have done the right thing. Who cares how many kids are damaged by this crap. I can still remember the terror that gripped me after watching this. Horrible, just horrible.

This is horrible.

That's so horrible, IBF. I can't imagine how awful that would have been to grow up with a fear like that sad.png What arseholes. We have much to be ashamed about as a human race.

If you read the comments in YouTube for this video you will find many Christians who claim this is how we should still teach children about homosexuality. If they can scare one gay kid into a life of loneliness, misery and celibacy, then they feel they have done the right thing. Who cares how many kids are damaged by this crap. I can still remember the terror that gripped me after watching this. Horrible, just horrible.

Christianity: turning nice people into arseholes since fuck knows when.

• Like 2

IBF, sorry it damaged your youth, that's a horrible thing. I too had incidents where I was told that "homo's this, and homo's that" because all the things were just myths and fear mongering. At some point in life I just had to realize that I was not one of those myths and I never met people who were like those stereotypes.

That nasty programming is why I believe that every gay person in the world just needs to be out of the closet. We don't need to start a protest to have people notice how normal we are, we just need to live openly and honestly. If we all do that first, we have a better chance of people realizing that films like this are a joke. I have to laugh at that film, it has nothing "homosexual" in it, well I think the cop at the beginning might be gay. :D

That film was about homosexuals, but you could just replace very few words and it could be about communists, illegal aliens, hell... even republicans. I feel it is a very general message that could be spun to fit any group you want it to.

one thing that really rocked my xtian universe, about four years after my conversion, in my mid twenties, my adopted brother came out to my parents. Now we live on the opposite side of the continent from each other and hadn't seen much of each other or ages but it was a bitter blow to me as a relatively new xtian to have to deal with a gay brother and agnostic parents who were admirably (in retrospect) supportive.

Truth be told, I did struggle with sexual temptation as xtian for the entire 29 years I was a believer, The hypocrisy of my constant yielding to temptation contrasted with my professed faith, as well as my brother's life, created an absolutely unmanageable situation that I unfortunately didn't resolve for many years, but since my "faith" became an inward one with out any interaction with the wider xtian community, it was simply another issue I didn't wish to face, but over the last six or seven years at least I have become more and more openly supportive of gay rights and issues relating to that. Upon my final deconversion, one of the things I wanted to accomplish was to apologize to my brother for my evangelical stance that I did hold for years. I only once spoke with him as an admonishing xtian about it, but that is something I deeply regret to this day and I told him so. I am so happy to be free to think this way without feeling torn inside between what I knew intrinsically was right and what my relijun was telling me was right. The amount of guilt I felt inside when I not only struggled with the usual sexual temptations, but also came to realize that I had occasional bisexual fantasies was staggering. I have felt so utterly FILTHY about my sexual nature for so so many years it's incredibly liberating to realize that sexual identity is not a static, definable thing but myriad variations of human experience and that humans can be found in all of that spectrum of experience. I am a happily married man with grandchildren, I am in mid life and for the first time in my life I am relaxed about my sexual fantasy life, and thankfully my wife doesn't have issues with it either (even though she is a nominal believer she has never minded me exercising my imagination when it comes to sexuality (at least the internet exercise rooms anyways ;-) we are at peace about that matter thankfully. I am so very happy that the guilt trap about NORMAL human physical experience has been broken once and for all for me. The xtian view of sexuality is perverse and can lead to serious personal problems.

Homophobia also means disliking homosexuality.... it's in the dictionary.

"Phobia" means fear, not dislike. Some dictionaries may use a broader definition of "homophobia" simply because it is commonly used in a broader sense, but when you get down to it, that broader usage is actually incorrect. That's why I personally think there needs to be a better term to

describe those who disagree with homosexuality without being fearful of

it/them. Don't get me wrong, though; I fully disagree with those who oppose

gays, and I recognize that some opposers' views probably are based on

fear.

They're afraid that gayness is breaking down society. So they do fear it.

So, it's wrong for them to make their assumptions, but it's ok for you to

make your assumptions? I'm telling you, I used to be one of them and

it had NOTHING to do with fear for me. Sure, it probably does for

some, but for others it doesn't. Broadbrushing them all is no better than

when some of them broadbrush gays or any other group they disagree

with. Don't bury your head in the sand and pretend that everyone on one

side of a particular issue must have the same motivation, because that's

completely unrealistic, and it's the sort of thing that fundies do.

I am not pretending anything. Maybe you know non-fearful right-wingers, but the fundies I know insist that gays are destroying society by wrecking families. They're terrified of this new society and "God's wrath".

• Like 1

I'm starting to wonder if we're all using the same definition of fear. Can we back up and briefly talk about that?

Homophobia also means disliking homosexuality.... it's in the dictionary.

"Phobia" means fear, not dislike. Some dictionaries may use a broader definition of "homophobia" simply because it is commonly used in a broader sense, but when you get down to it, that broader usage is actually incorrect. That's why I personally think there needs to be a better term to describe those who disagree with homosexuality without being fearful of it/them. Don't get me wrong, though; I fully disagree with those who oppose gays, and I recognize that some opposers' views probably are based on fear.

They're afraid that gayness is breaking down society. So they do fear it.

So, it's wrong for them to make their assumptions, but it's ok for you to make your assumptions? I'm telling you, I used to be one of them and it had NOTHING to do with fear for me. Sure, it probably does for some, but for others it doesn't. Broadbrushing them all is no better than when some of them broadbrush gays or any other group they disagree with. Don't bury your head in the sand and pretend that everyone on one side of a particular issue must have the same motivation, because that's completely unrealistic, and it's the sort of thing that fundies do.

I am not pretending anything. Maybe you know non-fearful right-wingers, but the fundies I know insist that gays are destroying society by wrecking families. They're terrified of this new society and "God's wrath".

I not only know some, but like I said, I used to be one. I have never said that the fearful ones don't exist. I have repeatedly said that both types exist, those who are motivated by fear and those who are not. You're the one who had done the broadbrushing, and such broadburshing is simply wrong. It's ridiculous to assume that all of the anti-gay people are motivated by fear just because some clearly are. That is all I've been saying. You were making a sweeping and erroneous generalization, and I simply pointed out that it's wrong. If you're now acknowledging that both types exist, then that's good.

Just for clarification, for me the truth matters more than bias, and that goes both ways. I don't like the biased assumptions of people I disagree with (such as the anti-gay crowd), but neither do I approve of biased assumptions from those whom I generally agree with (such as those of us supporting gay rights). We should strive to be open-minded and reasonable instead of just projecting things onto people.

Yesterday I had a little "debate" with a guy who insisted that gays "choose" to be gay. I pointed out how ridiclous it was to think that all gays would "choose" to be mocked, ridiculed and rejected by society and, in some cases, pushed out of their own families. After stressing that a few times, he did acknowledge that he saw what I was getting at, but he still couldn't bring himself to admit that it's not a choice. I asked him when he chose to be straight, and of course he said he always was. I pointed out that it would be arrogant for me to say that gays must choose their orientation when I know that I didn't (and couldn't) choose my orientation. Regardless, he said he would continue to believe it's a choice until someone could prove that it's not. So, even though he admitted that I had a good point, and even though many gays have repeatedly stated that it wasn't a choice, he's just going to assume that he knows them better than they know themselves.

I also pointed out that even if it was a choice, that wouldn't make it a bad thing. What two consenting adults do with each other is their own business, not mine. The main thrust, though, was to demonstrate the absurdity of assuming that their differences must be the result of a "choice."

• Like 2

There's plenty of cognitive dissonance going on with that guy! He probably doesn't want to admit that it isn't a choice because then he'd have to accept the fact that the god he believes in is being unfair, and since Christian people are always saying that god is the opposite and his own bible says that his god is fair he doesn't want to go against that belief because then he'd have to face the fact that something is terribly wrong with all of it. It can be very difficult to make these people think!

There's plenty of cognitive dissonance going on with that guy! He probably doesn't want to admit that it isn't a choice because then he'd have to accept the fact that the god he believes in is being unfair, and since Christian people are always saying that god is the opposite and his own bible says that his god is fair he doesn't want to go against that belief because then he'd have to face the fact that something is terribly wrong with all of it. It can be very difficult to make these people think!

I'm not quite sure where he stands on religion. He recently commented that he "used to be really into religion," so he at least doesn't take it as seriously as he used to, if he even believes at all. One of these days, if a conversation lends itself to the subject, I may ask what he actually does think of religion. It's possible that he may not really believe any religious stuff at all, but simply still retains the anti-gay bias from his "really into religion" days.

• Like 1

I had an interesting chat with my dad yesterday. We went for a long drive to sort out a few things for a ride he's organising for Sunday. Dad jokes a lot, and has never been one for political correctness. Recently, my sister had one of her gay friends and his partner over at mum and dad's, and at one point she came out laughing her head off, saying that her mate was concerned that dad wouldn't want him in his house if he knew he was gay. Dad just went and and told the guy, "pfft. I knew you were gay long before you did!" However, ever since dad's been concerned that he may have come across to some gay people as anti-gay, and was quite distressed with that idea.

I told dad that I didn't think he had anything to worry about, and that my sister's friend was probably more projecting his own insecurities than anything else. When dad thought about it, he said that he guessed that he had always been a father-figure to the guy, who's own father didn't deal so well with his sexuality, and that he was probably more afraid of losing their relationship than anything else. Dad had never mentioned the guy's sexuality because it just isn't a concern as far as he is concerned, and couldn't care less.

My dad knows quite a few people in the local mental health community through me, and they feel safe and comfortable with him and regularly stop and have a chat to him if they run into him, because they know that he'll treat them as just another person, no matter how unwell they are at the time. I reminded him of that, and told him that it probably will be much the same when I start coming out and getting to know the local gay community.

I wish more people were like my dad, and cared about stuff like that.

• Like 2

That's cool, bp. I wish my Dad was that open-minded.