Goodbye Jesus

A Candle Burning In Ex-C

Legion

burning%20candle.jpg

Now, now, settle down. Be at peace. At ease.

Most of you know, by now, that I am among the most arrogant, contemptous, and condescending bastards at ex-C. I am honored and embarrased to accept this recognition. But I merely play this role on the internet. In meatspace my behavior and demeanor is almost meek. I only let the monster out when it can't be avoided. Let us here pretend that he does not exist.

I hope that we may here together in this thread be mutually constructive. I hope here that we may attempt to do science ourselves, rather than talk about those people "over there" engaged in the doing of science. To this end, I propose that we build formal models of a burning candle.

Who is game?

As I think about a burning candle or observe one, I have perhaps an outline of a few ideas about how to describe it and reason about it mathematically. But I am open to a striking array of ideas which may be surrounding this endeavor. I certainly hope some will propose metaphors, and especially analogies of this natural system.

Pretty please?

Ingles, por favor. ukliam2.gifukliam2.gifukliam2.gifWendyDoh.gifWendyDoh.gifWendyDoh.gif

Ingles, por favor.

Now, now McDaddy. Put the funny monster away (i.e. don't be a dick). I love your funny monster. :HaHa: But that was not in the "spirit" of this thread or forum.

Come forth and speak with me, or else be a fool.

I choose "fool".

Seriously. Let all those wiser than myself step forward and begin this thread with an intellectually stimulating discourse, I will lurk from a distance.

I choose "fool".

Yes, I see that. Somewhat disappointing, but not unexpected. I know from my dealings with philosophers that even fools can play a constructive role. They sometimes encourage the looseness required to not take our own ideas so seriously that we do not question them.

Seriously. Let all those wiser than myself step forward and begin this thread with an intellectually stimulating discourse, I will lurk from a distance.

Well, with all due respect fool, you did not, in fact, let those wiser than yourself respond first. And you did not lurk from a distance.

Who do you think I am?

Nope, it's not that guy. :HaHa:

Oh, fuck off.

• Like 6

Oh, fuck off.

Wow. Are you serious?

You don't want to try your hand at this?

Am I to believe, that in the science vs. religion forum at ex-Christian.net, the members were unwilling to try their hand at doing science?

Legion, no one ever has any clue what the hell you're talking about, and I don't just mean in this thread. I can't be bothered to try to figure it out the pseudo-intellectual claptrap anymore, either.

• Like 8

Legion, no one ever has any clue what the hell you're talking about, and I don't just mean in this thread.

How do you so confidently speak on the behalf of others? You mean, you yourself don't know what I'm saying in the OP?

I can't be bothered to try to figure it out the pseudo-intellectual claptrap anymore, either.

Uh, what I'm proposing in the OP is not clap trap. It's basic science.

Well, I've got to go work. Maybe someone will express an interest overnight.

wow

maybe Stephen Hawking will drop by.

Maybe this thread should be moved to the Totally Off Topic section.

Legion....The candle in EX-c represents how one quantity is related to another quantity of another candle.

A candle may be looked at in 2 different ways. as A:B candle or A/B or by the phrase "A to B".

A ratio of 1:5 says that the second quantity of the candle is five times as large as the first candle.

The following steps will allow the candle to be the determinating factor if two conflicting candles are compared.

Example: Determine the ratio of 24 to 40.

• Divide both terms of the ratio by the greatest common factor (24/8 = 3, 40/8=5) to get the first candle.
  • State the ratio of the first candle (The ratio of 24 to 40 is 3:5) to get the second candle.

This accounts for EX-cer's beautiful burning candle!! smiliegojerkit.gif It's just that simple!!

I hope this is simple enough for you my friend!! yellow.gif

• Like 2

I called Stephen Hawking about this. I got the machine, so I hung up.

Congratulations, sir. That is the funniest thing I've read on the internet all day, perhaps even all week. I tip my hat to you.

Legion....The candle in EX-c represents how one quantity is related to another quantity of another candle.

A candle may be looked at in 2 different ways. as A:B candle or A/B or by the phrase "A to B".

A ratio of 1:5 says that the second quantity of the candle is five times as large as the first candle.

The following steps will allow the candle to be determination if two conflicting candles are compared.

• Divide both terms of the ratio by the greatest common factor (24/8 = 3, 40/8=5) to get the first candle.
  • State the ratio of the first candle (The ratio of 24 to 40 is 3:5) to get the second candle.

This accounts for EX-cer's beautiful burning candle!! smiliegojerkit.gif It's just that simple!!

Congratulations, madame, this is the most brilliant thing I've read on the internet all day, perhaps even all week. I tip my hat to you.

• Like 2

Legion,

I can see that this subject is very important to you.

Is it important enough, that you'll step outside of it's language/notation and demonstrate it's value to us, in plain English, before we go into it?

If your answer is, 'Yes', then I'm game.

If your answer is, 'No', then I'm out. Or rather, I was never in.

Being optimistic and assuming a 'Yes', could you please explain the value of this subject, without resorting to it's language/notation.

How about starting with a historical example of a problem that was solved or made easier to understand by it?

Thanks,

BAA.

I have no idea what you are trying to do, Legion. Most of us aren't qualified enough nor have the resources to do true scientific study. We can merely evaluate the credibility of those who do have the resources and training, which is pretty easy if you have an educational background in science and some stats under your belt. I'm not sure what combustion has to do with all this.

If you want to light a candle in honor of all the poor ignorant souls still stuck in the mind virus, I'm all for it! :)

I'm stealing this and making it my facebook status this very second. I have tears, literal tears, running down my face from laughing so hard at this...

To this end, I propose that we build formal models of a burning candle.

Henry the Eighth!

Whenever I watch Jeopardy and I have no clue what the question is I answer Henry the Eighth. I'm right sometimes.

• Like 3

Oh, fuck off.

Wow. Are you serious?

You don't want to try your hand at this?

No, I am not interested. You think you're high-minded and profound, but you're really just intellectually dishonest. Why would I be interested?

• Like 4

The following steps will allow the candle to be the determinating factor if two conflicting candles are compared.

holy fuck Marg. He's incepted into your brain now. SHIT.

I'm stealing this and making it my facebook status this very second. I have tears, literal tears, running down my face from laughing so hard at this...

Florduh has a certain way of making other grown men cry tears of joy and ecstasy.