Goodbye Jesus

Why The Anger Against A God That Doesn't Exist

sandiego4me

Why is it that most of you who profess to have no belief in God have such hatred for a being that allegedly doesn't exist?  Seriously, why so much anger against a non-existent being?  Is it really that you believe he exists, but are simply frustrated that he seems distant from you?   I'm just curious?  Also, it would be nice to hear some well-thought out responses, rather than expletive-ridden responses. Anybody?

We are angry that we were duped and lied to by family and friends for most of our lives, and we hate the character of the biblical god. Some people are still struggling or just deconverted so when talking about god, we still phrase it as if he is still real. Just like when talking about a movie or book character we speak as if they are real. Some people on this site still believe in a god or multiple gods, so they still think that gods in general are real and some of them may still believe that the biblical god is real, but not for them or that he is not worthy of worship since he has done and said so many horrible things. Just read the Old Testament, he orders the Israelites to murder entire tribes, etc.

• Like 3

i think most exC are not angry with god per se, but creeps like sandiego which imposes his fucking fairy tales whenever he thinks is needed,,,,

• Like 4

Sandie, it's actually anger at two different things:

1. I'm incredulous that people actually worship the god described in the Bible.  They make excuses for behaviours that would be prosecuted as war crimes if committed by mortals, and have the audacity to claim that their god is "good."  I'm angry at the moral disconnect and confront evil-masquerading-as-good by criticizing the Biblical deity.  Even if it doesn't exist as a real being, it exists as an idea -- A very bad one.
  2. I'm outraged at the actions of many believers, particularly the ones who try to force their religious biases onto non-believers in civil society.  
  • Like 3

Why is it that most of you who profess to have no belief in God have such hatred for a being that allegedly doesn't exist?  Seriously, why so much anger against a non-existent being?  Is it really that you believe he exists, but are simply frustrated that he seems distant from you?   I'm just curious?  Also, it would be nice to hear some well-thought out responses, rather than expletive-ridden responses. Anybody?

Didn't we already tell you?  The followers of God are very real and all too often very annoying.  The followers of God want everyone to change religion, want to deny basic freedoms, oppose science, and generally hate people for being different.

We don't hate a fictional character that we realize doesn't exist.  But we do have to fight against the culture that Christians insist on imposing on the entire world because the Bible told them so.

The followers of Star Wars are similar, but they don't evoke anger.  Why is there such anger against something that is allegedly fake?

Why so much anger? Have you even remotely read any of the posts around here?! You've been here a hell of a lot longer than some of us, so I'd imagine you have. Whether or not it all actually sunk in is beyond my realm of knowledge, and so is whether or not you cherry picked the parts you wanted to read and based your assumptions off it.

For the sake of argument, I'll talk about god as if he's real (which he isn't). When a lot of us believed in god, we gave him ample opportunity to allay our doubts and fears, believing this god wanted a relationship with us, so we tried to duke it out. When we got no response whatsoever, and it was clear that was all we were gonna get, it was a tough pill to swallow. We felt rejected. We felt alone. Our faith was shattered to smithereens. Some of us are still feeling the fallout from it. Others, like myself, have gotten off with comparatively minor damage, but the heartbreak is there nonetheless.

My anger is toward the disgusting behavior coming from believers towards others, not by some fictional character in a book written by a bunch of superstitious Iron Age con artists. Moral gold standard, my ass. My sympathies lie with the countless people that believers have screwed over time and time again. Some of the people here have endured horrific abuse at the hands of the people you call your brethren in god. It may not have been your particular denomination, but xtianity encompasses a huge number of denominations. Here, I'm talking emotional and even SEXUAL abuse in some cases. Really vile stuff. Some of us have been stabbed in the back by fellow believers we always thought would have our backs but instead walked away and abandoned us in a time of need. Some people here have more or less thrown decades of their lives away over this shell game, buying the lies their pastors and church leaders fed them and not knowing any different for far too long. Some of the people here are estranged from their families because of the divisiveness religion causes.

• Like 4

i think most exC are not angry with god per se, but creeps like sandiego which imposes his fucking fairy tales whenever he thinks is needed,,,,

Why is it that a large portion of individuals on this site have to use hate speech against people who ask honest questions?  Why the vitriol?

The followers of Star Wars are similar, but they don't evoke anger.  Why is there such anger against something that is allegedly fake?

When's the last time you heard of Star Wars fans threatening people with 1000 years in the belly of a Sarlacc if they didn't believe in the Force?

• Like 4

Why so much anger? Have you even remotely read any of the posts around here?! You've been here a hell of a lot longer than some of us, so I'd imagine you have. Whether or not it all actually sunk in is beyond my realm of knowledge, and so is whether or not you cherry picked the parts you wanted to read and based your assumptions off it.

For the sake of argument, I'll talk about god as if he's real (which he isn't). When a lot of us believed in god, we gave him ample opportunity to allay our doubts and fears, believing this god wanted a relationship with us, so we tried to duke it out. When we got no response whatsoever, and it was clear that was all we were gonna get, it was a tough pill to swallow. We felt rejected. We felt alone. Our faith was shattered to smithereens. Some of us are still feeling the fallout from it. Others, like myself, have gotten off with comparatively minor damage, but the heartbreak is there nonetheless.

My anger is toward the disgusting behavior coming from believers towards others, not by some fictional character in a book written by a bunch of superstitious Iron Age con artists. Moral gold standard, my ass. My sympathies lie with the countless people that believers have screwed over time and time again. Some of the people here have endured horrific abuse at the hands of the people you call your brethren in god. It may not have been your particular denomination, but xtianity encompasses a huge number of denominations. Here, I'm talking emotional and even SEXUAL abuse in some cases. Really vile stuff. Some of us have been stabbed in the back by fellow believers we always thought would have our backs but instead walked away and abandoned us in a time of need. Some people here have more or less thrown decades of their lives away over this shell game, buying the lies their pastors and church leaders fed them and not knowing any different for far too long. Some of the people here are estranged from their families because of the divisiveness religion causes.

Good points.  I appreciate your insightful response.  Agree, people can be horrible.  Sorry to see that this crap goes on in the name of religion.  Truly am. 

Why is it that most of you who profess to have no belief in God have such hatred for a being that allegedly doesn't exist?

Translation: "Why are you fucking evil gay librul (insert however many more insults you want) assholes pissed at me?"

Gee, why indeed?

• Like 3

Didn't we already tell you?  The followers of God are very real and all too often very annoying.  The followers of God want everyone to change religion, want to deny basic freedoms, oppose science, and generally hate people for being different.

We don't hate a fictional character that we realize doesn't exist.  But we do have to fight against the culture that Christians insist on imposing on the entire world because the Bible told them so.

I just explained it to you.  Do you have a learning disability?  

We don't hate a fictional character that we realize doesn't exist.  The emotions we feel about this are from the real people who are doing real evil in the name of a God who doesn't exist.  

I've never seen a Star Wars fan who wanted to take away a person's abortions rights.  Or deny their right to marry the person they love.  Or demand that Star Wars displays are put on government property.  Or insist that we play the Star Wars theme in school.  Or demand that the Death Star plans be taught in science class.  Or insist that everybody else must say "The Force Be With You".  

Your comparison is false. 

• Like 6

This, for what it's worth. Why are people pissed at an evil cult that has killed and enslaved many millions and, given modern war toys, would probably be the singular greatest killer group in history? Why are people pissed at this cult that right now demands the killing of millions of innocent people, tries to drag millions of others back into slavery and generally desperately tries to destroy everything good humans have ever achieved by pulling the entire fucking planet back into the dark ages?

Why indeed? If only we knew...

Good points.  I appreciate your insightful response.  Agree, people can be horrible.  Sorry to see that this crap goes on in the name of religion.  Truly am. 

Wow, that sounds so rehearsed and insincere, considering the sheer magnitude of the torment and rejection those of us here have experienced from religion. A lot of people here have had their lives turned upside down when they learned the painful truth, they poured their hearts into the work they did for the church, they were there for others, they gave a lot of their time and energy. They really cared. When they turned to their church for help, support and guidance, all they got in return was calumny and consternation from other members, sometimes even the ones they thought were their friends. In some cases even their church leaders threw them under the bus. So yeah, I'd say that's worth getting angry about, imo.

Why is it that most of you who profess to have no belief in God have such hatred for a being that allegedly doesn't exist?

Translation: "Why are you fucking evil gay librul (insert however many more insults you want) assholes pissed at me?"

Gee, why indeed?

Dude, what is in the water in Germany?  Seriously.  Stop drinking it.  It clearly causes great anger! 

Wow, that sounds so rehearsed and insincere, considering the sheer magnitude of the torment and rejection those of us here have experienced from religion. A lot of people here have had their lives turned upside down when they learned the painful truth, they poured their hearts into the work they did for the church, they were there for others, they gave a lot of their time and energy. They really cared. When they turned to their church for help, support and guidance, all they got in return was calumny and consternation from other members, sometimes even the ones they thought were their friends. In some cases even their church leaders threw them under the bus. So yeah, I'd say that's worth getting angry about, imo.

I'm not rehearsing anything.  Just giving an honest response.  I'm not a phony Christian, nor do I fit the mold.  Just asking questions and looking for answers.   I really did like your response.

Why is it that a large portion of individuals on this site have to use hate speech against people who ask honest questions?  Why the vitriol?

Why?

Because people like YOU are NOT here to learn ... you are not capable of learning as you are stuck in a mindfuck of indoctrination which until those scales fall from your eyes, you will never be capable of  seeing!

So you wonder why people that have heard this same tired long worn out mythological crap for the 50,000th time get upset ... and of course its from the same vile humans who invented the shit? Go figure!

• Like 2

Nobody is angry at a god that doesn't exist.

The anger you perceive is not directed at "God", it is directed at the insane interpretation of him created by people who actually believe a God would be dumb enough to provide zero verifiable evidence of his existence but then punish those who don't believe in the "correct" religion.

• Like 1

I'm not rehearsing anything.  Just giving an honest response.  I'm not a phony Christian, nor do I fit the mold.  Just asking questions and looking for answers.   I really did like your response.

So you agree that you're insincere. You zeroed in on the former, but not the latter. Very telling, particularly with the bland "oh, gee whiz, so sorry" non-response. I should have seen it coming. I listed ways people here (and elsewhere) have had their lives destroyed by believers who would rather DIE than help a friend in need who's struggling with their faith, believers who have betrayed their trust in more ways than one, and believers who have actively belittled (and discriminated against) them over race, ancestry and the kinds of families they grew up in. Furthermore, in some instances, any offers to help from believers who couldn't be bothered otherwise came too little, too late. I won't get into the criminal activities that go on behind closed doors within these churches all too often, and the believers who look the other way and play dumb when they're called out, as all of that is old hat by now. All very cogent reasons to be pissed off at religion. Your response was rather dismissive, which doesn't surprise me one iota.

No anger against a non-existent God. Maybe anger against an institution that programs its people to preach to those who really arent interested. Institutionalized fear. That makes me angry. Institutionalized tearing down of one's self-esteem (you are a sinner) makes me angry. People who visit this site that are freaked out about Hell because of the baloney they've been taught by other Christians makes me angry. Pastors that keep getting arrested for sexual misconduct with children. Makes me angry.

Does something have to be real to make you angry? I've watched movies with evil characters that made me angry. Though I knew it was just a fictional character. Most of the Ex-c's here have had a much more intense experience with a fictional character that they once thought was real. It sort of made them crazy reading about a psycho God that someone else told them they were supposed to worship. Then it made them sorta crazy when they discovered it was all a lie.

God is the focal point of the religion and someone who is deconverting is flipping back and forth between believing and not believing, trying to apply new information they have found that conflicts with the Christian programming. They may hate him while they still believe in him, then switch over to hating the general idea of the religion when they stop belief in God. I think the reason people like to point out that the God of the bible is a monster is because a Christian will read atrocities God has done in the bible and completely ignore them. Ex-c's like to show that the loving God that Christians are always talking about doesn't really exist in their holy book. But Christians will never acknowledge the rottenness of the God they worship. They are afraid to question the actions of biblegod. Ex-c's are no longer afraid to look at the bible and Christianity from a different perspective. They are tired of the programming of Christianity. Sometimes anger is required to initiate change and cast off unwanted emotional poison. Jesus and God and the whole of Christianity is nothing but a culture. These characters only exist in the imaginations of the gullible. Stop being gullible. Jesus has no independent existence outside of the minds of the christards. He is made up of the same substance as Santa Claus. Pure BS.

• Like 4

If Star Wars followers insisted that I would go to Hell if I did not worship Yoda , it would piss me off. Star Wars followers (I hope) know that it is fiction. Children aren't threatened and scared into believing in Yoda or being sent to Vader's Death Star for eternal torture. People aren't indoctrinated into Star Wars as if it was real. Star Wars followers dont go door to door trying to sell me Star Wars belief systems. Star Wars people don't burn witches (or ewoks) as heretics. Star Wars people dont insist Star Wars be taught in school as an alternative to evolution. I don't find a Star Wars paperback book in the drawer in every motel. I dont have to listen to some retard on street corners with a megaphone yelling crap about "The Force!" Yoda hasn't told me that  10% of my credits belong to The Force....

Your analogy fails.

• Like 2

To put it in perspective.
If there where a bunch off people going around spreading aids, and claiming its the greatest thing ever and that you need to get it to so you will be saved or something.
And these people go around and infect the people around you, the sosiety you live in, your family, loved ones etc.

Would you say "o yes that is fantastic" its about time i get it to? Wendytwitch.gif

• Like 1

I'm not angry at god. I can't be angry at a construct of your imagination. That would make me as delusional as you are.

edit - removed cartoon. Not sure how copyright works on here and don't want to get in trouble. It was cool though.

Is it really that you believe he exists, but are simply frustrated that he seems distant from you?   I'm just curious?  

Wait, wait, wait. Hold your horses.

You think atheists believe god exists, but we're frustrated that he seems distant from us? 

Seriously?

• Super Moderator

Remove your god goggles and read one of the first articles that webmdave published on this website.  It's short and to the point.  Hopefully you will try to understand.   Read the comments too.  In fact you and all True BelieversTM should read, read, read, and read some more before you post any more of your tiresome blatherings.  

http://articles.exchristian.net/2006/07/not-ready-to-be-nice.html

• Like 2