Goodbye Jesus

Charismatics: Was I Ever Really Born Again?

Guest afireinside

• Super Moderator

"The "lies" you complain about from the Pentecostals come out of the same Bible that Osteen uses to con his sheep out of $75,000 a week.  The Bible can be interpreted to mean anything.  People simply ignore what they don't like and pretend the Holy Spirit told them that part was only a metaphor." ~mymistake

I agree...that's exactly what they do.

The scriptures warn against this approach.

Given that the book can mean anything, what is its value?

Obviously, since there are verses and doctrines that are in conflict, even you must choose the ones you like. Each one who relies on the Bible makes choices about what to accept and what to reject because he must, and that necessarily includes you. Each believer still claims to be guided by the Holy Spirit, of course. There must be a different HS for each of the 40,000+ Christian sects.

• Super Moderator

"The "lies" you complain about from the Pentecostals come out of the same Bible that Osteen uses to con his sheep out of $75,000 a week.  The Bible can be interpreted to mean anything.  People simply ignore what they don't like and pretend the Holy Spirit told them that part was only a metaphor." ~mymistake

I agree...that's exactly what they do.

The scriptures warn against this approach.

What if you're just interpreting those scriptures as a warning?