Goodbye Jesus

British Colonization Of Africa

wanderinlostchild

Well, your nation is more than willing to follow the us into Iraq, Afghanistan and any other country that has oil or strategic positioning. Instead of this, they could have been involved in creating stability in the continent they completely destabilize. That, and the use of diplomacy and economic advice in order to perhaps redraw the arbitrary lines into something that makes more sense and help nations developed sustainable economies once again.

I know it will never happen, but since you asked, those are some of the reparations I'd demand if I were king of the world.

African solutions should be achieved by African people, with support from outsiders when requested.

You have all the answers for all the world's problems.

How is telling Africans they should accept British advice and control appropriate?  I live in a country that has a treaty with and policy on its indigenous population that enables them to build solutions by themselves for themselves.  Others would do well to copy this model and much of the UN's development work is based on a similar approach.  Many of the solutions to such problems are developed outside the US, you know, where the rest of the world lives?  Maybe you should do some reading on decolonisation if you want to contribute meaningfully to a productive discussion on it.  But I forgot, you don't want to do that, you just want to heckle.

I'm amazed at how much indignation people have for a child molester they don't know that hurt a child they don't know yet can just shrug at things that make the Holocaust look like a pool party in comparison.

At whom should we be indignant, politicians and industrialists who are dead? Current citizens of the offending country? Their parents who raised them wrong?

I don't think there's any shrugging going on, just a refusal to play the blame game when everyone has a skeleton way back somewhere in the closet of history. I just prefer to think about now, as I can't change the past at all and can do little enough about the present devils. Hell, Americans should owe reparations all the way back to Plymouth Rock, and the same may be said of all other industrialized nations, warring tribes and tin pot dictator republics.

Millions of people wave flags when the troops run off to war, but if anyone suggests those troops might be better used helping to re stabilise the continent that largely paid for those troops in the first place, that person gets a lecture about ancestor guilt. I'm just wired different from you all I guess because it looks like a pretty fucked up system of values to me.

• Like 1

Essentially, those who don't use the privileged opportunity that is voting and don't take other actions aimed at bringing about change have no right to complain about their government, since they didn't care enough about their community to actually contribute to its wellbeing.

Fuck. I'm not going to explain it again.

However I will note that equating not voting with not caring is an insult born of ignorance, willful in this case.

You don't have to, you and others have already expressed your views on voting and political action.  I'm expressing mine.  Since you say you care about your community, have you been taking political action such as campaigning for a better voting system or have you just been complaining?

Yes, to the last post.

This is all I hear from South Africans that I know. That we should stay the fuck out of things unless asked.

Church groups sending over used clothes and things are ruining local apparel and other industries that would otherwise feed families.

More of the missionary steel axe phenomenon, for those familiar with cultural anthropology.

• Like 1

Well, your nation is more than willing to follow the us into Iraq, Afghanistan and any other country that has oil or strategic positioning. Instead of this, they could have been involved in creating stability in the continent they completely destabilize. That, and the use of diplomacy and economic advice in order to perhaps redraw the arbitrary lines into something that makes more sense and help nations developed sustainable economies once again.

I know it will never happen, but since you asked, those are some of the reparations I'd demand if I were king of the world.

African solutions should be achieved by African people, with support from outsiders when requested.

How is telling Africans they should accept British advice and control appropriate?  I live in a country that has a treaty with and policy on its indigenous population that enables them to build solutions by themselves for themselves.  Others would do well to copy this model and much of the UN's development work is based on a similar approach.  Many of the solutions to such problems are developed outside the US, you know, where the rest of the world lives?  Maybe you should do some reading on decolonisation if you want to contribute meaningfully to a productive discussion on it.  But I forgot, you don't want to do that, you just want to heckle.

Right.  The US could solve all their problems if Americans would all vote Democrat.  It's so simple!  And Africa could solve all their problems if they would just work on it and ask for outside help.  It's so simple!  And I could solve all my problems if only I wanted to read.  It's so simple!

• Super Moderator
campaigning for a better voting system

Yes, if only you were an American you could vote us into a frigging Utopia. You have a problem with comprehension.

re the op, does anyone really care? we haven't been in Africa for decades.i hate all the white and national guilt crap,my generation was brought up on that.Who is still alive who made colonization decisions?

The soviet union completely fucked Africa up with arms and landmines.... and terrorist liberation armies but that wasn't contemporary Russia.Germany,japan,britain;plagued by guilt education,does it really help?USA had concentration camps at the close of ww2 for ordinary german soldiers and today constantly harasses Russia by edging closer and closer to its borders by meddling in the ex soviet republics.

Well, I wouldn't blame you personally, but yes there are still people alive responsible. Moreover, your nation just pulled up and ran leaving history's biggest cluster fuck. Those problems exist today in large measure and your government doesn't do jack to ease the suffering they caused. Suffering that exists right now. Can you honestly say since most of the colonialists are dead, your nation today isn't even a little bit responsible for cleaning up the humongous mess it left behind?

What is your country doing to ease the suffering it caused, much of it within the lifetime of contemporaries?  And what are you doing to contribute to solutions?

You don't want to get me started on my country. Are you suggesting I'm hypocritical by holding them to a different standard? Where's your evidence of this? Or, was that just another snide comment you learned from York mentor?

We've seen plenty of your rants about US foreign policy but go ahead if it makes you feel better.

Since you're ignoring my earlier question, I'll repeat it, did you protest against war because you thought it would make a difference, and doesn't that show that citizens can act to change things?  

In this thread, you've made several scathing attacks on UK policy but been quite slow to mention your own country's similar actions.  Just saying, be careful before slamming another country without acknowledging your own country's record at the same time.  Not everyone here is American (I know, it's hard to accept, but you'll manage).

Since you mention BO, while I certainly admire his knowledge and ability, he is just a guy who also happens to have two things in common with me: he sees your sanctimonious behaviour for what it is, and he has the courage to express views that don't align with the prevailing groupthink.  I didn't think my comment to you was particularly snide, but if you don't like receiving them, don't make them to others.

Right.  The US could solve all their problems if Americans would all vote Democrat.  It's so simple!  And Africa could solve all their problems if they would just work on it and ask for outside help.  It's so simple!  And I could solve all my problems if only I wanted to read.  It's so simple!

Another stunningly productive contribution to the discussion, showing again that you have no arguments.

Voting Democrat is currently the only way to stop the religious right.  If you dislike the Democrats more than the Republicans you can always try working to change the voting system, like a number of other countries did.  But that would take you away from your online heckling.

African people are working on their problems and their countries are not the basket cases that uninformed people in developed countries often think they are.  They also do not need uninvited rescuing by their former colonial oppressors.

Which you might learn if you were in any way informed on the subject.  But don't let that stop you from using, informed or not, any subject you can, to heckle people, while inviting yourself to be hall monitor in other people's discussions. 

Yes, if only you were an American you could vote us into a frigging Utopia. You have a problem with comprehension.

That's just what you guys always end up saying when you have run out of arguments.  Why don't you try to change the voting system if you don't like the way it is?  Anyway voting is only one way to take political action - do you do anything else or do you just complain about it and tell people who express opposing views online (and who do take action) that they have a problem with comprehension?

. . .  to heckle people, while inviting yourself to be hall monitor in other people's discussions. 

Projection noted

So Ms. Answer Woman, what exactly is our roadmap to changing the US voting system?  You have acknowledged that you understand how our ultra rich currently control everything, including both parties.  That shouldn't be too difficult for a problem solver like you.

We've seen plenty of your rants about US foreign policy but go ahead if it makes you feel better.

Since you're ignoring my earlier question, I'll repeat it, did you protest against war because you thought it would make a difference, and doesn't that show that citizens can act to change things?  

In this thread, you've made several scathing attacks on UK policy but been quite slow to mention your own country's similar actions.  Just saying, be careful before slamming another country without acknowledging your own country's record at the same time.  Not everyone here is American (I know, it's hard to accept, but you'll manage).

Wait, what?   Wendybanghead.gif

So we have seen plenty but at the same time we have not seen enough.

. . .  to heckle people, while inviting yourself to be hall monitor in other people's discussions. 

Projection noted

So Ms. Answer Woman, what exactly is our roadmap to changing the US voting system?  You have acknowledged that you understand how our ultra rich currently control everything, including both parties.  That shouldn't be too difficult for a problem solver like you.

Still heckling I see, nothing to add, nothing to contribute.

I see you are not interested in stopping the religious right from turning your country into a theocracy and destroying your social policy environment.  Then quit all the complaining coupled with inaction.  If you don't think your vote counts, find out how to change your system so it does, like other countries have done.

Wait, what?   Wendybanghead.gif

So we have seen plenty but at the same time we have not seen enough.

Comprehension difficulties this time.  The sentence and paragraph begins with "in this thread".  That's called a qualifier, look it up if you don't understand what it means.

Got anything productive to contribute, hall monitor?

• Super Moderator

That's just what you guys always end up saying when you have run out of arguments.  Why don't you try to change the voting system if you don't like the way it is?  Anyway voting is only one way to take political action - do you do anything else or do you just complain about it and tell people who express opposing views online (and who do take action) that they have a problem with comprehension?

I agree with your ideals and never made an argument. I stated some facts which you chose to ignore. You then accuse me of not caring and doing nothing. You have no idea what it's like here nor do you know what I've done in the past regarding Vietnam and the Civil Rights Act. Today is a different ballgame, however. I've lived here for 65 years and tell you how it is but you continue to insist you know me and my country better than I. You have a habit of simply not listening to what people say and like to paint yourself as the enlightened outsider who has the answers we're too dumb, lazy and brainwashed to recognize on our own. Get a clue and stop acting like an ass when people fail to recognize the enlightenment you imagine you bring to the unwashed masses.

(bunch of wrong stuff) I see (bunch of wrong ideas)

I see (hopelessly wrong ideas)

Seems to be a perception problem.  Maybe you should get your vision checked.

If you don't think your vote counts, find out how to change your system so it does, like other countries have done.

I asked you how.  Your answer is to find out how.  Does this mean you don't have the answer?  Say it ain't so.

The sentence and paragraph begins with "in this thread".

Right.  That is the part where we have not seen Vigile talk about US foreign policy enough.  If he needs to do it in this thread then he must have not done it enough, yet you also say you have seen him do it plenty.  Must be both at that same time.  Plenty and not enough.  You're right, I no can comprehend.

Got anything productive to contribute, hall monitor?

I could use a laugh.  Let's see you define the term "hall monitor" in this context.

I'm amazed at how much indignation people have for a child molester they don't know that hurt a child they don't know yet can just shrug at things that make the Holocaust look like a pool party in comparison.

At whom should we be indignant, politicians and industrialists who are dead? Current citizens of the offending country? Their parents who raised them wrong?

I don't think there's any shrugging going on, just a refusal to play the blame game when everyone has a skeleton way back somewhere in the closet of history. I just prefer to think about now, as I can't change the past at all and can do little enough about the present devils. Hell, Americans should owe reparations all the way back to Plymouth Rock, and the same may be said of all other industrialized nations, warring tribes and tin pot dictator republics.

And the Roman Empire owes reparations to all of Western Europe and the British Isles for ousting native traditions and governments, and replacing it all with Xianity and Roman government and lies we still have in our history books about our pre-Roman ancestors.

But who would one put that responsibility on? The Italians?

• Like 4

And the Roman Empire owes reparations to all of Western Europe and the British Isles for ousting native traditions and governments, and replacing it all with Xianity and Roman government and lies we still have in our history books about our pre-Roman ancestors.  (snip)

Indeed.  If we could go back before history we would find human tribes preying upon each other in an unbroken chain of violence.  It would be nice if we could find another way.

• Like 1

People in the US are hardly in a position to criticise the UK for messing up dozens of other countries.

What if you are African american or native?

I would also like to apologize to NZ and every feminist on is this forum for having a penis. in my defense I never chose to have one, and my insurance will not cover getting it removed, and I'm 2 chicken to do it myself or get a feminist to do it for me.

my apologies for having white spots, technically I'm quite olive complected with all the time I spend in the sunshine so problem solved . I Can't contribute much more to this thread at the time . I thank everyone else for the contributions. its just im a little intellectually backwards and you are far above me. So ill bounce for now. Audios Amigos!

(For today anyways)

post-21721-0-69213100-1404428224.jpeg

re the op, does anyone really care? we haven't been in Africa for decades.i hate all the white and national guilt crap,my generation was brought up on that.Who is still alive who made colonization decisions?

The soviet union completely fucked Africa up with arms and landmines.... and terrorist liberation armies but that wasn't contemporary Russia.Germany,japan,britain;plagued by guilt education,does it really help?USA had concentration camps at the close of ww2 for ordinary german soldiers and today constantly harasses Russia by edging closer and closer to its borders by meddling in the ex soviet republics.

Well, I wouldn't blame you personally, but yes there are still people alive responsible. Moreover, your nation just pulled up and ran leaving history's biggest cluster fuck. Those problems exist today in large measure and your government doesn't do jack to ease the suffering they caused. Suffering that exists right now. Can you honestly say since most of the colonialists are dead, your nation today isn't even a little bit responsible for cleaning up the humongous mess it left behind?
What is your country doing to ease the suffering it caused, much of it within the lifetime of contemporaries? And what are you doing to contribute to solutions?
You don't want to get me started on my country. Are you suggesting I'm hypocritical by holding them to a different standard? Where's your evidence of this? Or, was that just another snide comment you learned from York mentor?

In this thread, you've made several scathing attacks on UK policy but been quite slow to mention your own country's similar actions. Just saying, be careful before slamming another country without acknowledging your own country's record at the same time. Not everyone here is American (I know, it's hard to accept, but you'll manage).

Since you mention BO, while I certainly admire his knowledge and ability, he is just a guy who also happens to have two things in common with me: he sees your sanctimonious behaviour for what it is, and he has the courage to express views that don't align with the prevailing groupthink. I didn't think my comment to you was particularly snide, but if you don't like receiving them, don't make them to others.

Giving this post the full attention it deserves, you're playing with a short deck.

High school is over b, its been over for a long time.

I would also like to apologize to NZ and every feminist on is this forum for having a penis.

Maybe that is what she means by "hall monitor".

Guest Marty

Hiiiiiigh hopes, he's got Hiiiiiigh hopes.

anyone knows an anti, can't, move a rubber tree planting. sing_99.gif

Why did you invest energy in protesting against war, if political action makes no difference?

Because we still have a conscience.

Did our protesting stop the invasion of Iraq?  Did Occupy Wall Street stop corporations from taking over?  Has anyone been held accountable for the mortgage crisis and tanking our economy?

The 1% picks both candidates before we even know who they are, so it truly doesn't matter who actually wins.  They both are beholden to the Master Plan™  that the 1% has for this country.  Obama was elected very much because he ran on being the anti-Bush, yet has for the most part been Bush 2.0 for the last 6 years.  

There are superficial differences between our parties, but on everything that actually matters, foreign policy, corporate takeovers, taxes for the rich, domestic health, etc, they are the same (despite what they say on the podium) and nothing changes at it's core.

Obama's ACA, for example, is so watered down it is more profitable for the insurance companies than before and worse for the average citizen.  He wanted a single payer public option, but that was cut, along with everything else that would have benefited the populace.  The insurance lobbies made sure nothing was going to cut into their bottom line, and they own enough of Washington to insure nothing will change.

When I worked on k street, we spent weeks putting together position papers regarding various bills. For instance, vote no on bill no. 234567, here's why...

We then spent an afternoon walking in circles around a big conference table collating 40 or so papers for 100 senators and 500+ congress members. Armed with my own stack of papers, they turned me loose inside the halls of congress, where I went door to door introducing myself to staff and dropping off our papers which represented a fairly large constituency across the nation.

The staff were all very friendly and pleased to take my papers and add them to those they'd received from similar interests groups. Most offices had stacks of such papers climbing from floor to ceiling covering entire walls. To, file mine, many had to climb on top of a chair.

undoubtedly our hard working congress and members of Senate read every one of those papers in between golf, Scotch lunches in Georgetown and typical wheeling dealing they're all so famous for. But I tend to have less faith and after 20 or so visits, I looked over both shoulders to make sure no one from my office was looking and filed the remainder of my stack in the round cabinet.

I know, cause if you were there you'd have arsoned the competition papers, ramboed our way in to the senator's private chambers and stuffed those papers down his pants, warning him with a you sho do got some perty teeth there senator. And glory if you wouldn't has left the world more to yer likin when alls said and done.

yes sir, I know what a real man woulda done.

• Like 2

When I worked on k street, we spent weeks putting together position papers regarding various bills. For instance, vote no on bill no. 234567, here's why...

We then spent an afternoon walking in circles around a big conference table collating 40 or so papers for 100 senators and 500+ congress members. Armed with my own stack of papers, they turned me loose inside the halls of congress, where I went door to door introducing myself to staff and dropping off our papers which represented a fairly large constituency across the nation.

The staff were all very friendly and pleased to take my papers and add them to those they'd received from similar interests groups. Most offices had stacks of such papers climbing from floor to ceiling covering entire walls. To, file mine, many had to climb on top of a chair.

undoubtedly our hard working congress and members of Senate read every one of those papers in between golf, Scotch lunches in Georgetown and typical wheeling dealing they're all so famous for. But I tend to have less faith and after 20 or so visits, I looked over both shoulders to make sure no one from my office was looking and filed the remainder of my stack in the round cabinet.

Well there is your problem.  You didn't make a "campaign contribution".  If they could be influenced for free they would be somewhere else.