Goodbye Jesus

God Doesn't Prevent Terrible Things Because:

FreeThinkerNZ

So, in essence, you believe that we should all be responsible for those around us. Okay. If it is our responsibility to make this world better for all humanity, then where's the sense in having a god? What's the point? Why not just embrace your inner humanist and realize that for thousands of years countless millions of people have wasted their lives waiting for miracles that god never performed?

If God is nothing more that an idea, then I think the concept of God stems from our not understanding each other....our own needs not being met.....our hope for better.

My humanist is fearful of hell....which is good enough for me. And I've never had a time where I didn't receive answers from God. I have no reason other than science to disbelieve.

So fear of hell is the only reason you believe?

Remember BAA, according to end3, the people (innocent children) in the above pics told god to shove it, so they are learning in gods university of hard knocks. End3 cannot explain how a baby can tell god to shove it, but as long as were dwelling in the region of insanity and magical thinking, we'll just agree that the baby told god to shove it while in the womb. 

Oh, I see, CC.

So the sister I never knew must have told God to shove it while she was in the womb - causing to him to kill her her to be stillborn.

Is that right?

So, in essence, you believe that we should all be responsible for those around us. Okay. If it is our responsibility to make this world better for all humanity, then where's the sense in having a god? What's the point? Why not just embrace your inner humanist and realize that for thousands of years countless millions of people have wasted their lives waiting for miracles that god never performed?

If God is nothing more that an idea, then I think the concept of God stems from our not understanding each other....our own needs not being met.....our hope for better.

My humanist is fearful of hell....which is good enough for me. And I've never had a time where I didn't receive answers from God. I have no reason other than science to disbelieve.

Remember BAA, according to end3, the people (innocent children) in the above pics told god to shove it, so they are learning in gods university of hard knocks. End3 cannot explain how a baby can tell god to shove it, but as long as were dwelling in the region of insanity and magical thinking, we'll just agree that the baby told god to shove it while in the womb.

CC...is this post real? Did Florduh just not explain my position far more eloquently than I, yet you want to hold me to explaining that these children suffer because we make choices contrary to God?

No

CC...is this post real? Did Florduh just not explain my position far more eloquently than I, yet you want to hold me to explaining that these children suffer because we make choices contrary to God?

Not the choices we make, End.

The one choice Adam and Eve made, according to your holy book.

They made one choice contrary to the (deliberately hidden) will of God and every human being is still paying for it!

• Like 1

Have a nice day, End.

You might take up the A&E discussion with the Prof. His take is as good as I've seen.

Ignore me if you like, End.

I know you do so because you can't answer the questions I raise.

Ok, you'll pretend that it's all personal and I've got some kind of vendetta against you, but others know this isn't so.

• Like 1

We understood what you were saying from your very first post.  The problem is that your claim is false.  

Florduh's explanation doesn't change the fact that your claim is demonstrably false.

You are never going to make that lie into the truth.

We understood what you were saying from your very first post.  The problem is that your claim is false.  

Florduh's explanation doesn't change the fact that your claim is demonstrably false.

But he can believe it's the truth.

That's what blind faith can do for him.

They made one choice contrary to the (deliberately hidden) will of God and every human being is still paying for it!

I'm not ignoring you today. The A&E discussion ends up in a question no one can answer. I don't wish to participate in the derivative today....but thanks.

But he can believe it's the truth.

That's what blind faith can do for him.

Or you can provide for me the mechanisms of the mind..... It's just a matter of time now....some scientists are saying the universe is about to quit expanding and crush us all back in to a singularity. Now THAT's UNITY FOLKS! Hope I get crushed next to some hot babes.

I'm not ignoring you today. The A&E discussion ends up in a question no one can answer. I don't wish to participate in the derivative today....but thanks.

Thank you for confirming what I just wrote to MyMistake, End.

If the A&E question is one that nobody can answer... why do you accept Genesis as truth, fact and history by blind faith?

If the question cannot be answered, why believe the Fall is true?

Your default position (on not being able to know the answer to something) is NOT to believe it.

So why do you believe it?

Or you can provide for me the mechanisms of the mind..... It's just a matter of time now....some scientists are saying the universe is about to quit expanding and crush us all back in to a singularity. Now THAT's UNITY FOLKS! Hope I get crushed next to some hot babes.

I can't provide with anything - because you said it yourself End, the question cannot be answered.

But you can answer why you believe an unanswerable question should be believed by faith.

Why?

I can't provide with anything - because you said it yourself End, the question cannot be answered.

But you can answer why you believe an unanswerable question should be believed by faith.

Why?

Because the things we can not measure point to the things with no answer.

Why?

How?

Explain your method.

Why?

Just because we cant yet explain something doesnt automatically mean the supernatural. Every day science uncovers more and more. we now know the black plague wasnt god's pestilence. We now know earthquakes arent gods pubishment. We now know what causes comets in the sky. We dont need the supernatural to explain tbings anymore. Now run away and fade into obscurity. We have no use for religion anymore.

Why?

How?

Explain your method.

I don't have a method. I feel like the brain connects input to form types and patterns. I think the "no answers" come from the types and patterns that the brain forms/"concludes".

Why?

Then here's a method for you, End.

There are things we cannot measure.  (You need to say what these are.)

These un-measurable things point to other things.  (You need to say how they do this pointing.)

There are things that are being pointed to. (You need to say what these are.)

These things being pointed to have no answer.  (You need to say why they have no answer.)

Of course, if you haven't had a methodology until now, that really does re-emphasize what I said earlier.

Your default position (on not being able to know the answer to something and having no method of finding out) should be one of disbelief and skepticism, not blind faith.

Anyway, now you have a method to work with End.

As it happens, I have to run, so I can't stay and help you work thru these four points.  However, I'll be interested to see what progress you've made when I log on tomorrow.

Till then.

LeslieWave.gif

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

So, End3, getting back to the whole "love thy neighbor" thing: if it really is true that we are meant to solve the evils of the world by taking care of those around us, then, I must again ask "What's the point of an all-powerful god?"  Seriously.  If "grace" and "relationships" are all we need, then what's the point of praying to god to heal your neighbor's malignant tumor?  What's the purpose of faith, if evil can be overcome by action?

Or, is everything subjective, including our love, actions, "grace" and "relationships"?

• Like 1

I don't believe people are made to be slaves either, but the fact that there are people enslaved is real.

So when it says that these people were called to be slaves and be an example akin to christ I'm supposed to read that as a sort of happenstance instead of someone being made to be a slave?  Because, as you know, slaves are taken into slavery as opposed to volunteering.  So the call here is surely different from being called to the priesthood.  But maybe these xians willingly became slaves to brutal masters to answer the call to act as examples to slaves who had no choice?  If that's the case then how brave of god to allow this.  To allow more slaves to be made just to make a point.

mwc

end3: How powerful is your god? Omnipotent? If not, that is not the god I'm talking about here. If he is not omnipotent. I have no way to asses what responsibility he should have to us humans. What are his limitations? If he can't take action to help humanity, he cannot be held responsible for not doing anything. That's obvious. But, if yours is the bible god, who can do anything according to the bible (except defeat people with iron chariots}, he is the primarily one responsible for the pitiful condition of the world, He has the power do incredible things in 6 days,, according to Genesis. He can murder the entire world population and still leave a few chosen ones alive. He can stop the Sun in mid sky for a whole day. But he won't save thousands of starving men, women and children in Asia, Africa and other places on this earth because he wants his creatures (us humans) to do it. Never mind that we humans are infinitely less able to accomplish this job than this omnipotent god, What this loving god wants is to observe people fall short of what he wants of them, let the starving ones die horrible deaths and then he can have the satisfaction of blaming it all on humans. And this is the kind of god you worship? I do not believe there is such a god. He acts far too much like some  humans I've read about in history to be the god of the universe. It's obvious to me that if the horrible conditions that millions have to live in are to be improved, it will be by mankind's efforts, not through a powerful god's. Rip

End3 is a little shit.  End3's sky fairies are little shits.  Mere coincidence?  Correlation?  Causal link?

• Like 1

If something is not measurable, or if something is not detectable, it either does not exist, or has no relevance to our existence.

I don't believe people are made to be slaves either, but the fact that there are people enslaved is real.

So when it says that these people were called to be slaves and be an example akin to christ I'm supposed to read that as a sort of happenstance instead of someone being made to be a slave?  Because, as you know, slaves are taken into slavery as opposed to volunteering.  So the call here is surely different from being called to the priesthood.  But maybe these xians willingly became slaves to brutal masters to answer the call to act as examples to slaves who had no choice?  If that's the case then how brave of god to allow this.  To allow more slaves to be made just to make a point.

mwc

you were the one that posted "made". We may certainly look the words up and see what the verses offer. I'm willing to see it differently.