Goodbye Jesus

Baptists

ironhorse

As a Christian I believe that the distinctive beliefs of the Baptist denomination follow closely the teachings of the New Testament scriptures. This is why I am a member of a local Baptist church.

In this thread, as it goes along, I will list these distinctive beliefs.

1. Baptists contend that there can be no forced coercion in matters of religious faith or non-faith. God Himself does not force people. Religion is purely voluntary. Baptists support the freedom of the individual conscience to choose to worship God or not worship.

Baptists do not agree with a state sponsored religion or a state church. Historically, Baptists have played a key role in encouraging religious freedom and separation of church and state.

Why?  

Really, why are you telling a bunch of ex-Christians what Baptists believe?

We have no reason to care.  If you are doing it for yourself why should you care that you tell us what baptists believe?

Wendyshrug.gif

• Super Moderator

I have to agree with mymistake, TinPony.  What's the point of this futile exercise.  Even for those of us willing to take the bait, it's still only going to end with "threatening eternal conscious torment in hell is both using force and coercion; therefore the baptists are wrong."  You've got to realize this; you've been here long enough.

• Like 2

I have to agree with mymistake, TinPony.  What's the point of this futile exercise.  Even for those of us willing to take the bait, it's still only going to end with "threatening eternal conscious torment in hell is both using force and coercion; therefore the baptists are wrong."  You've got to realize this; you've been here long enough.

I think he's simply bored. He has nothing better to do at the moment, so he probably figured he'd spew dogma at us.

"This is the section of the board where Christian opinions, arguments, sermons and so on will be more-or-less tolerated."

That statement is why The Lion's Den is here and I am thankful the administrators
have allowed a place where Christians can express themselves.

This is what I am doing.

Can we get back to the topic?

Can a member here agree or disagree with my first reason for being a Baptist?

What is the Baptist position on the Sabbath which is one of the Ten Commandments?

I agree with your first reason.  But don't expect Atheists to agree, they want to make Atheism into a state sponsored religion.

The Sabbath?

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days.

~ Colossians 2:16 

I agree with your first reason.  But don't expect Atheists to agree, they want to make Atheism into a state sponsored religion.

No, we don't, because atheism is not and never has been a religion (except in the minds of theists who go out of their way to lie about people who are not part of their religion, with the intention of demonizing outsiders).

The Sabbath?

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days.

~ Colossians 2:16 

I guess you have to choose between Jesus and Paul.  After all, Jesus said that the Sabbath was made for man, and Jesus kept the Sabbath.  If you choose Paul over Jesus, maybe you should call yourself Paulian instead of Christian.

As a Christian I believe that the distinctive beliefs of the Baptist denomination follow closely the teachings of the New Testament scriptures. This is why I am a member of a local Baptist church.

1. Baptists contend that there can be no forced coercion in matters of religious faith or non-faith. God Himself does not force people. Religion is purely voluntary. Baptists support the freedom of the individual conscience to choose to worship God or not worship.

Baptists do not agree with a state sponsored religion or a state church. Historically, Baptists have played a key role in encouraging religious freedom and separation of church and state.

Please provide empirical evidence of yet another set of your mere assertions.

Your OP contains mere assertions recast as "beliefs".  Please provide relevant empirical evidence to support them.  Or not.  Your choice.  I realize you are not well versed in this rational thinking business, but I will continue to try to assist you.

"mere assertions"

sdelsolray?

Please post a fact, from any source, that proves the first statement is incorrect.

fschmidt,

Why do I have to choose between Jesus or Paul?

They both broke the rules concerning the Sabbath. 

fschmidt,

Jesus had deep knowledge of the Old Testament and never violated a single thing in the Old Testament.  He only violated additional rules added by the Pharisees.  In contrast, Paul was an opportunistic salesman of religion who was completely ignorant of the Old Testament and basically had no idea what he was talking about.

"This is the section of the board where Christian opinions, arguments, sermons and so on will be more-or-less tolerated."

That statement is why The Lion's Den is here and I am thankful the administrators

have allowed a place where Christians can express themselves.

This is what I am doing.

No silly Christian.  I didn't say you do not have permission.  Of course you are permited to preach here in this section.

I asked why.  What is your motive?

If you insist.  Threatening eternal conscious torment in hell is both using force and coercion; therefore the baptists are wrong.

fschmidt,

Jesus had deep knowledge of the Old Testament and never violated a single thing in the Old Testament.  He only violated additional rules added by the Pharisees.  In contrast, Paul was an opportunistic salesman of religion who was completely ignorant of the Old Testament and basically had no idea what he was talking about.

This could be interesting.  We don't often get to see a Troll Battle.

I got $10 on the ignorant one.

• Like 4

fschmidt,

Ummm... You're going to have to be more specific...

• Like 3

fschmidt 

"Jesus had deep knowledge of the Old Testament and never violated a single thing in the Old Testament.  He only violated additional rules added by the Pharisees."

I agree.

"Paul was an opportunistic salesman of religion who was completely ignorant of the Old Testament and basically had no idea what he was talking about."

Have you read his letters to the Romans?

Atheist definition of troll: anyone who isn't an Atheist

fschmidt,

You'll win either way.

• Like 1

Atheist definition of troll: anyone who isn't an Atheist

Oh not so.  I get along with all kinds of folk from all kinds of religions.  My general rule is that if they are not hurting anybody then I don't care what they believe.  But I don't say this for your benefit.

Troll definition of Post: a bunch of words on internet that will cause people to respond and make me happy that I upset them

I was Southern Baptist for 12 years & Church of Christ for 27 years. I assure you the Church of Christ interprets the Bible far more literally & follows it far more accurately than the Baptist. Unfortunately, it matters not how any group interprets or follows the Bible because it is nothing more than a collection of myths, legends, & folklore & therefore irrelevant as is the Christian religion.

I agree Geezer with the first part you said.

The Church of Christ is close, like the Baptists, with NT teachings.

I have always liked their tradition of not posting the pastor's name

on their church signs.