Goodbye Jesus

Next Pet Peeve:

Nihil

You ever hear people do this?

"I'm not (type of predjudice/discrimination), but..." followed by some utterly predjudiced comment?

For example,

"I'm not racist, but those damn niggers keep stealing my shit!"

"I'm not homophobic, but I wish those gays would stay in the closet."

"I'm not antisemetic, but I really don't want those jews moving onto my street."

What's up with that? Are they trying to be funny? Do they really think people won't see them as intolerant if they preceed all their hateful comments with that disclaimer?

Am I the only one who wants to slap these people?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jrmarlin

• Lycorth

• Asimov

• Padreko

It's about as annoying as people who march around on a high horse about being "color blind" and against racism or hatred, but have no problem with racist rap records or comedians or movies and the like. Hypocrisy is a hard thing to reel in.

No, You are not alone. I see this bullshit all the time. It sucks. But the problem is very few people have the balls to call people on this shit when standing there face to face.

Go to Walmart and hang out one weekend day. You hear it all over the place. We're a segregated society whether we see it or not. It's not just about race but sex, religion, creed, the whole nine yards. It's a shame. This country was founded so ALL people could come and be here, freely. Nice in basic theory - seems impossible to actually practice in ernst.

This comes through from evangelical christians, jehovah's witnesses etc who come to the door of your home and ask (in an apparently, open minded way of desiring a fair exchange of ideas) what your opinion on various spiritual matters is. They follow what you say with, "Yes, but the Bible says etc etc...."

The fact is they don,t give a damn WHAT you think....they have already arrived with an agenda....your conversion! They only want your opinion so they can shoot it down.....how dishonest is that!

It's about as annoying as people who march around on a high horse about being "color blind" and against racism or hatred, but have no problem with racist rap records or comedians or movies and the like. Hypocrisy is a hard thing to reel in.

like how you get called racist if you oppose "affirmative action".

Precisely. For the most part, as I see it, American society is just as racist as ever, but now it's trendy to hate whites also, and more than everyone else. Don't you dare say the "N-word™" but go ahead and bash "Whitey." Fucking hypocrites :vent:

Precisely. For the most part, as I see it, American society is just as racist as ever, but now it's trendy to hate whites also, and more than everyone else. Don't you dare say the "N-word™" but go ahead and bash "Whitey." Fucking hypocrites :vent:

Varokhar, I completely agree with you. It seems that everyone is walking around with a chip on their shoulder and it's getting really old. If everyone would realize that everyone has been under the gun in one way or another, eveyone might get along a lot better. But thes feelings of entitlement are getting old... very old.

Varokhar, I completely agree with you. It seems that everyone is walking around with a chip on their shoulder and it's getting really old. If everyone would realize that everyone has been under the gun in one way or another, eveyone might get along a lot better. But thes feelings of entitlement are getting old... very old.

Yes, that is one of my biggest pet peeves. And so often it comes out of the same mouths that talk of "peace" and "tolerance". It's trendy to look down your nose at one group yet scream vicitimization and persecution at the drop of a hat? Nothing but a bunch of hypocritical and contemptible bullshit that will never find a mouthpiece in me.

And I also agree about the entitlement mentality. Everyone has a chip on their shoulder that doesn't belong there and wants a handout for shit that never happened to them. Give me a break, already. And thinking that people who never did any persecuting should be forced to financially compensate people who never suffered slavery is almost as preposterous as listening to some Xian turd tell me that I owe Jesus™ worship for his phony-baloney sacrifice or I'll burn in hell lke the worthless human scum I am.

Then again, I am not surprised that from the same society that cultivated those Babble-thumpers should emerge the entitlement-whores and the like. And yet both factions want peace and love and tolerance - but only on their own terms. Bunch of hypocritical pukes, the lot of them.

Damn hard time with this subject.

Have black and latino friends.

Hate the inner city "niggah-gangstah ghetto" *culture* and its outward apperances.

Don't care for the clothing, attiudes, actions, or particpation of those living it, or emulating "bein' city".

When I see a group of youngsters (I am 44) congregating in their gangstah glories, damn glad I pack (defensive tools, often a handgun and a folding knife), and am well schooled in "immediate crisis management".

Predilection of racism? Inordinate prejudice?

Hate idiots of all stripes, ensuring most people I meet, I'd prefer not to know socially.

I'd like to think not, and I'll not escalate shit *for shits and giggles*, not gonna go about making some kids life miserable 'cause he isn't fat/white/bald/well armed.

But I won't be trying to understand where he and his friend are at, I do not understand *it* and them.

Yeah, daFatman has *colored friends*, Humans that aren't *white* skinned.

Easy Answer Jar never got the "All Better Now Race Relations Fixed" slips dropped in it. Don't pretend to have *any* answers to the problems we all face dealing with *I like "X", save for those nasty little buggers!"

kL

You ever hear people do this?

"I'm not (type of predjudice/discrimination), but..." followed by some utterly predjudiced comment?

For example,

"I'm not racist, but those damn niggers keep stealing my shit!"

"I'm not homophobic, but I wish those gays would stay in the closet."

"I'm not antisemetic, but I really don't want those jews moving onto my street."

What's up with that? Are they trying to be funny? Do they really think people won't see them as intolerant if they preceed all their hateful comments with that disclaimer?

No. I would love to, also. I hear it all the time at work, from relatives, and from people in general.

Example: Fundy guy at work (not my former cube mate, but another one) said one time that he wishes the gays would go back into a closet. Yet he claims to not be prejudiced. Yeah, right.

Even my relatives claim to not be racist, but I've heard them making racist comments from time to time. If tell them that's racist, I get a laundry list of reasons why they think they aren't racist.

Arrrrgh! :vent:

In Indianapolis, a high school recently did a musical (Ragtime) that contained references to masturbation, lose sex, and the word "nigger." A group of "concerned clergy" (They have some official organization with a name along those lines, they are mostly black clergy... I just forget the name) protested and demanded that they take out the word "nigger". White parents wanted the masturbation and lose sex taken out. At first, the stuff the white parents requested was taken out but they did not take out

"nigger". It is interesting to note that the school has many black students, and many of the black students performed in the play. They saw no problems with it .

In the end, they kept it all because it was important to the historical context of the musical. Rationality won and at least that's a good thing.

Example: Fundy guy at work (not my former cube mate, but another one) said one time that he wishes the gays would go back into a closet. Yet he claims to not be prejudiced. Yeah, right.

Even my relatives claim to not be racist, but I've heard them making racist comments from time to time. If tell them that's racist, I get a laundry list of reasons why they think they aren't racist.

Arrrrgh! :vent:

For the most part, I cut people like this some slack. My entire family is like this, and so are most of my friends. Yeah, the eye twitches a little when I hear them say shit like this, but it's just talk. Since moving from Poland my grandmother has spent most of her 30 years in Chicago surrounded by Mexican people, and speaks that language better than she speaks English. She exchanges recipies, babysat for, and goes to church with Mexican people. When she found out that I broke up with a Mexican boyfriend a few years ago, the first words that came out of her mouth were "well, a nice Polish girl doesn't belong with a Mexican. " And she really liked the guy! :ugh:

Just a few days ago, my mom was telling me about this black woman she knows. "Even black people believe in Jesus," nodding her head and smiling. Yeah mom, it's crazy. They don't all practice voodoo. I don't consider them racists because they don't hate any group, but every once in a while they will start a thought with well, you know how black people are. I'm SO glad I grew up in the city.

I'm not an asshole or anything, but your objection is fucking retarded.....

:HaHa:

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I just learned that I hate "whitey" and it is socially acceptable. AND all I do is go screaming for reparations.

Well I just read the entire thread and the very evil the post author is talking about is being perpetuated ad nausem. Totally unproductive...

So I'll just leave it at that. Debating people on the internet is like racing in the special olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded.

For the most part I take everyone at face value. They'll smile and act like they like you to your face...But you log onto the net and you can read what they really think.

"Debating people on the internet is like racing in the special olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded."

i love it

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I just learned that I hate "whitey" and it is socially acceptable. AND all I do is go screaming for reparations.

Well I just read the entire thread and the very evil the post author is talking about is being perpetuated ad nausem. Totally unproductive...

So I'll just leave it at that. Debating people on the internet is like racing in the special olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded.

For the most part I take everyone at face value. They'll smile and act like they like you to your face...But you log onto the net and you can read what they really think.

First off, I don't think Nihil was referring to you personally, religion. Probably making a generalization. Don't wear your heart on your sleeve here. THis is a tough room to work. You have to develop a little tougher skin and not take everything to heart.

If its like special olympics, then why are you here? Why did you join the site? You must have known there would be things that are said that may or may not offend you in some way. So why did you bother? Obviously there is something here that you think will either help you or assist you in your grown.

Not all people are going to get on with each other. It's like real life without faces, voices, inflections (most times...) We don't always get along with our families - sisters and brothers -- but we can still respect them (for the most part) and give as good as we get back...

So chin up. It's not so bad. Just whip a christian and you'll feel right as rain! :spanka::begood:

If its like special olympics, then why are you here?

Good question - what in the hell is LosingMyReligion's problem?

If its like special olympics, then why are you here?

Good question - what in the hell is LosingMyReligion's problem?

V, some people are just very overly sensitive when it comes to anything racial. Hence the reason why I had Dave close one of my threads because people namely two other members, were bitching and acting like morons. I have found that even on the internet, where it's nameless, faceless people, racial is a touchy feely subject and they get very jacked about it.

My feeling is, it's just a fucking part of life. We all deal with it in one way or another and it's bad that people want to sweep it under the carpet and not "talk" about it. It would be great if we all could talk about things of this nature, perhaps the gap between all races would narrow serverely. Because after all, we're all just people with thoughts, feelings, histories. And it would be nice to get past all the pc bullshit and really get to heart of matters instead of pussy puttin' around with our Sunday school manners. (Pardon the pun.)

V, some people are just very overly sensitive when it comes to anything racial. Hence the reason why I had Dave close one of my threads because people namely two other members, were bitching and acting like morons. I have found that even on the internet, where it's nameless, faceless people, racial is a touchy feely subject and they get very jacked about it.

My feeling is, it's just a fucking part of life. We all deal with it in one way or another and it's bad that people want to sweep it under the carpet and not "talk" about it. It would be great if we all could talk about things of this nature, perhaps the gap between all races would narrow serverely. Because after all, we're all just people with thoughts, feelings, histories. And it would be nice to get past all the pc bullshit and really get to heart of matters instead of pussy puttin' around with our Sunday school manners. (Pardon the pun.)

Very true; I am very much aware of the oversensitivity some people have about racial matters. I blame society, mostly, for making race such a taboo and such a big deal that any hint of a remark not pre-authorized by the common culture earns one the usually undying stigma of "racist". Racism is like the modern-day anathema; like the Middle Ages and heresy, as soon as the accusation comes up, it's all over - guilty until proven innocent.

If someone is sensitive about a topic, I don't bring it up. But no one made him post that remark, and I can see his meaning plain enough. If someone's too sensitive about something, then simply avoid the discussion. No one's forcing anyone to post here.

Dude... chill. We all have racial prejudices, even those who claim to not have them. I know I do. There is a serious cultural divide in our country... I am experiening this as I live in a "black" area. I doubt many on here who decry racisim would deliberately move into a poorer black area and make friends with their neighbors as they would where they are now. A lot of people are armchair critics on this issue and don't really know the real issues... socioeconomic inequality and self segregation and other stuff that I have yet to figure out. It isn't about black people, I think it's more about being comfortable with certain cultural norms. Once we recognize that we are different in some respects, we (in general) can talk... but pretending to decry racism is just stupid when one doesn't quite understand where it comes from.

I would have been pissed if the school did throw out the sexual stuff in that musical but kept "nigger"... but do you agree that it was the right decision to keep it all as ugly as it may be?

Very true; I am very much aware of the oversensitivity some people have about racial matters. I blame society, mostly, for making race such a taboo and such a big deal that any hint of a remark not pre-authorized by the common culture earns one the usually undying stigma of "racist". Racism is like the modern-day anathema; like the Middle Ages and heresy, as soon as the accusation comes up, it's all over - guilty until proven innocent.

If someone is sensitive about a topic, I don't bring it up. But no one made him post that remark, and I can see his meaning plain enough. If someone's too sensitive about something, then simply avoid the discussion. No one's forcing anyone to post here.

Well, sweetheart, I don't know about you but Nihil sent me an engraved invitation to come into this thread... :liar: yours must have gotten lost in PM hell! :rotfl:

Sorry, had to throw that funny in for you. But back to what you said, I completely agree. It's pretty obviously what the thread's about by the subline. I wouldn't even go there if I were sensitive in any way towards this stuff.

How did you know, dearie? I sent it to Hell in lieu of my soul. Think Jesus™ will accept it? :jesus:

How did you know, dearie? I sent it to Hell in lieu of my soul. Think Jesus™ will accept it? :jesus:

:rotfl::rotfl:

I guess ya didn't read my edit.... Well, maybe you'll come back and read the edit. Scroll up!

:rotfl::rotfl:

I guess ya didn't read my edit.... Well, maybe you'll come back and read the edit. Scroll up!

Ok, but just this once...

And yes, I agree. I've avoided topics before that I knew would just be too touchy for me, both online and in reality. It's not hard to do. Kind of like when that Athiest fundy jerkoff wizzed all over me when I explained to him what my take on "God" was, in a thread about the very subject. If people don't like a topic, then just stay away. What's the big deal about, already?

"But thes feelings of entitlement are getting old... very old."

That's not what you meant, but I found it very funny and agree completely with the sentiment if not what you meant by it.

Losing my Religion, you and I are in agreement.

But I would like to po int out that even though I see white people, straight people, north american people, men, pretty people, non-whores, etc, pretty much everyone who is two bits higher up the social ladder than another as the ones who are REALLY feeling entitled, I think it's something that serves all of us to talk about it openly. We are exposing how we really feel, ignorant or not, racist or not, and in talking about these things over and o ver we change, I think for the better. Quiet things form associations in our minds we are only half conscious of until we talk about them.

In my opinion, I can see the merits of thinking compensation for blacks and native indians and the descendants of people who are stolen f rom by another group of descendants who now has the results and wealth of what their ancestors stole is ultimately pointless because everyone has in some way been stolen from and stolen from another in turn.

The type of entitlement I think of is my own, and the entitlement of those around me in north american culture, particularly those who could fit in as extras in cheesy teen comedies. For example, my friend's granddaughter is half canadian-english-irish and half kinky haired and dark skinned. She notices, but I didn't notice much when it happened to me as a child, the way white strangers feel completely entitled to reach out and play with her hair, which is a novelty to them. While Iu nderstand the curiosity, they are not reacting to this child as a human being, but as an object on a certain level, this is something they might be less prone to do if was not a chld or was not a black child.

I think entitlement is something that is so all-pervading in our culture. Everyone feels entitled. A white person who gets turned for a job and a non-white is hired feels that their job was lost because the other person wasn't really qualified. Sometimes this is true, but sometimes it's not. They assume a woman or brown person will not be smart or competent enough to do the job they think they are owed, and in the event that the person who doesn't hire them says 'we had to give it to someone else because of affirmative action', it never dawns on them that people think of all kinds of excuses to give someone they chose not to hire , and 'affirmative action' is one that takes the blame squarely off the boss's head and onto the shoulders of a group of people that is less able to fight back anyways.

In the movie Rosewood, a white man is very upset that a local politician has a piano in his home, as does a black man whom he knows. He doesn't have a piano, and feels that he's very insulted to be beneath a black man in terms of that. He thinks it's good justification for killing someone.

In 'Just Visiting', a knight and his personal slave get transported into a modern american city, and the slave learns to stand up for himself. When he tels the knight he won't be going back to be his slave in medieval times, the knight reacts by threatening to kill him.

In 'Sin City', Jackie Boy tries rudely to get a whore to service him when she doesn't want to. Despite being kind nad offering him other places to go where he'll be accomodated and telling him that he needs sleep and not a woman at the moment, he can't hear anythin she says except , "I am attacking you'. Despite being a man cruising along a deserted alley with four other large men in the car twice the (young) whore's size, and being rude, he feels so threatened that he holds her at gunpoint to try to rape her.

In all these cases (and yes, I used men, but this goes across color and sex lines), we have a person, someone in a socially better position, who feels entitled to shit on someone else. Sometimes even refusing - not using violence, but simply refusing to allow yourself to be abused by someone else will be taken as a threat, an insult, an attack on the worth of the abusive party, and they will react accordingly with psychological or physical violence.

I feel in North America that we all just feel so entitled. I think that maybe part of the reason we're in pain that freezes us is because we don't know how to live, we don't know Death, we don't take pride in what we do, we don't have connections to the land we live on, the seasons, our families (I mean extended families), we have it all. And we hae it all at the expense of others in third worlds, etc. At least that's my experience with myself.

This is what I was thinking of when I read the word 'a sense of entitlement'. Not blacks in America wanting compensation from the wealthy whites, who get perks in something as simple as applying for affordable housing and getting it based on the color of your skin. You wouldn't choose to do that, but you accept the perks of racism. Beveral Daniel Tatum writes in her book "Why are all the black kids sitting together in the cafeteria" (an EXCELLENT book in my opinion and useful to everyone) that racism is like one of those moving floor thing escalators you find in airports. You don't have to walk towards it, it will pull you to it unless you walk the other way at a pace that is greater than that of the escalator.

I have seen really disturbing stuff in a movie about the descendants of sharecropping in the rural south - people so poor they can't afford pencils and paper to send their children to school.

I am tired of whites going "it's not my fault I'm white and I get all of this stuff because of it, why don't you work for a living and get off your ass, I can't be held responsible, I didn't take this stuff it was just given to me."

And you can disagree or agree, but that is something I do not like hearing.

The revolution that my shrink says the Hopis predicted will come in my opinion in all facets and ways.

And to say something about anti-white prejudice, I think it's obnoxious of black folks to use the word 'nigger' around each other in whites' presence because it's like having tea with your friends and then there's other people there and you don't offer any. If you can't share it with everyone, don't pull it out in a crowd when you don't have enough to go around. I don't think it's cool to call someone a 'redneck' or 'white trash' (although I sometimes really find the description bang-on), particularly when Black folks do it around whites when they would be appalled if a white person started calling blacks niggers, coons of , shiftless shits. or mocking the southern accent.

And I'm not racist or a racial fetishist, but .... I loooove the white cowboy, southern accent yee-haw gunslinging redneck barroom brawl thing.