Goodbye Jesus

In your honest opinion

quinntar

52 minutes ago, ironhorse said:

No, my hair is always in a mess.

One thing though…

I did not say abusive churches were the only reason, I said it was one of the reasons. I posted that first because I think it is one of the major reasons.  The atrocities of false teachings and abusive churches (which cover dozens of issues) has harmed many people.  

I also said, I had more thoughts on the topic.

I am aware there are other reasons.

I realize you are never going to admit your personal religious views could be wrong because that would go against your core beliefs.  I use to be in the same situation so I understand.  I was changed by situations beyond my control but that didn't happen to you so we are in different places.  Still you are a good sport for trying to find some middle ground.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After having been on this website for years and you still give such stupid answers.  You must be very stupid.  Directed at ih and e.

5 hours ago, ironhorse said:

One thing though…

I did not say abusive churches were the only reason, I said it was one of the reasons. I posted that first because I think it is one of the major reasons.  The atrocities of false teachings and abusive churches (which cover dozens of issues) has harmed many people.  

I think the standard teaching that we are all sinners is abusive. It consists of telling us we are intrinsically bad but if we believe in Jesus we are no longer bad...or something. The other teaching that Jesus is always monitoring (and judging) your thoughts and actions caused a mental irritation. The fear/shame/guilt progressed into an obsession about God being displeased with me. Being a late comer to Christianity  though (started at 30, ending at 40), it was fairly easy to revert back to an agnostic position. 

A Christian might suggest I stop all the worry about sin and just love Jesus... kind of a liberal Christianity. But for me, if I don't need to be concerned about sin then there is no reason for me to 'love Jesus'.

Then of course, a decade after giving up Christianity, I come to this website and discover all the illogic and falseness and contradiction in the bible and church doctrine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 02/03/2018 at 12:15 AM, ironhorse said:

One thing though…

But there's no legitimate reasons that you can think up why someone should leave?

5 hours ago, theanticrash said:

But there's no legitimate reasons that you can think up why someone should leave?

Christians refuse to even consider the possibility that there may even potentially be legitimate reasons.

1425_3.jpg

ostrich-man-in-sand.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/26/2018 at 7:45 AM, ironhorse said:

I think one of the reasons has to do with false teachings, abusive leaders and abusive churches.

What are some of the other reasons people leave Christianity?

On 3/1/2018 at 9:15 AM, ironhorse said:

false teachings

I've asked this so many times... I'll even refrain from my usual swearing and ad-hominem blasts, and I'll ask nicely:

How are you (or how is anyone) qualified to dictate to anyone whether something is a "false teaching" or not?

What makes you an expert, and by which officially-recognized body of theologians have you been accredited?

Why is it that something which you call a "false" teaching is often a cornerstone of orthodoxy for some other Christian group?

Please tell us... I'm sure we here at Ex-C would LOVE to know for sure that we have a completely legitimate representative of Christianity as a contributing member here.

It would help us understand things so much more clearly if we knew that one of the Christians here was recognized as an actual expert authority - someone who could speak definitively about matters of the Christian religion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

LB, I recall that when IH and I were both newbies here I asked him that very question--essentially, how do you know that you're right--and he basically responded by saying "I have faith". This has been his refrain more our less consistently throughout his tenure here: "I believe". I respect this. It's not convincing, but at least it is honest.

• Super Moderator

I asked Ironhorse what made him different from the guys who interpret scripture the wrong way.  He acted like he didn't understand the question for a while; then essentially admitted he uses the exact same methods as the other guys for interpreting scriptures.  So, I'm still not sure what makes him different from a false teacher.  Personally, I suspect he is.  No True ChristianTM would be listening to Bob Dylan and U2 as much as he does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If a Baptist prays earnestly he will receive a Baptist answer. This will differ from the false teachings of other denominations.

If a Pentecostal prays earnestly he will receive a Pentecostal answer. This will differ from the false teachings of other denominations.

If a Catholic prays earnestly he will receive a Catholic answer. This will differ from the false teachings of other denominations.

If a Mormon prays earnestly he will receive a Mormon answer. This will differ from the false teachings of other denominations.

If a Lutheran prays earnestly he will receive a Lutheran answer. This will differ from the false teachings of other denominations.

If a Presbyterian prays earnestly he will receive a Presbyterian answer. This will differ from the false teachings of other denominations.

If a Calvinist prays earnestly he will receive a Calvinist answer. This will differ from the false teachings of other denominations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I asked Ironhorse what made him different from the guys who interpret scripture the wrong way.  He acted like he didn't understand the question for a while; then essentially admitted he uses the exact same methods as the other guys for interpreting scriptures.  So, I'm still not sure what makes him different from a false teacher.  Personally, I suspect he is.  No True ChristianTM would be listening to Bob Dylan and U2 as much as he does.

Come on man. You gotta walk on. What you got, they can't steal it; no, they can't even feel it. But even if they could, they would have to recognize that it doesn't matter. Because it's a beautiful day. And the answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. The answer. Is blowing. In. The wind.

• Like 1

It is not just the abuse, Friend. It is the way Xers spin it. Buddha tells me I will suffer. Seneca tells me I will suffer. Marcus Aurelius tells me I will suffer. But they are not telling me that the vile POS who abused me needs forgiveness or God won't forgive me, laying more guilt and shame on the victim. Victim shaming. The real sages I just mentioned are not telling me God loves me or that he deserves my love back though he forsook me. Aurelius certainly says we are to respect the gods, but would never undermine a person who has lost it to trauma. In fact, he says slavery will shred a person. He got it. It is called REALISM. 

Funny that they understaood trauma better then that your average xer gets it now.

Last interaction I had with an Xer told me it's better to lose my mind, live on the street, get abused and God knows what else out there...that is ok, but drinking an elixer from a  DOCTOR to end it, no....................then you are also a murderer.  REALLY? At least Aurelius said if you have lost all your dignity, go ahead and exit while you can!!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, midniterider said:

If a Baptist prays earnestly he will receive a Baptist answer. This will differ from the false teachings of other denominations.

If a Pentecostal prays earnestly he will receive a Pentecostal answer. This will differ from the false teachings of other denominations.

If a Catholic prays earnestly he will receive a Catholic answer. This will differ from the false teachings of other denominations.

If a Mormon prays earnestly he will receive a Mormon answer. This will differ from the false teachings of other denominations.

If a Lutheran prays earnestly he will receive a Lutheran answer. This will differ from the false teachings of other denominations.

If a Presbyterian prays earnestly he will receive a Presbyterian answer. This will differ from the false teachings of other denominations.

If a Calvinist prays earnestly he will receive a Calvinist answer. This will differ from the false teachings of other denominations.

And if an atheist prays earnestly, he will receive no answer. And, on reflection, he will recognize that this does not differ substantively from the false teachings of all denominations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

Some who reads is a reader; someone who writes is a writer.  Is someone who prays a prayer?  If so, why do it?  Why pray if you are the prayer yourself?  And if the act of praying made me a prayer, and god answers prayer; then why did god never answer me?  

• Like 1

i have a wonderful church

nice christian fellowship

pastors went yo wheaton and whatsnot teaching biblical stuff

nobody abuses me

no misappropriation of church funds and properties

the church is built on the rock jesus and the story in the bible just is not true

i walked away 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, pratt said:

i have a wonderful church

nice christian fellowship

pastors went yo wheaton and whatsnot teaching biblical stuff

nobody abuses me

no misappropriation of church funds and properties

the church is built on the rock jesus and the story in the bible just is not true

i walked away 

Main reason i walked away was truth too, although in a different context. There were toxic teachings and behaviours that didn't make sense to me but which i thought i should try to accept, and did try for years--because it was true.

When i went on a journey that valued that truth above what i might find out, I found out it wasn't true after all, and there was no reason to stay.

• Thanks 1

Obviously we need more Christians here. Ironhorse against all of us is not a fair fight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
8 hours ago, theanticrash said:

Obviously we need more Christians here. Ironhorse against all of us is not a fair fight.

But Ironhorse has the power of the holy spirit and the omnipotent god on his side.  That should even things out, shouldn't it?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, theanticrash said:

3 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

But Ironhorse has the power of the holy spirit and the omnipotent god on his side.  That should even things out, shouldn't it?

Exactly, with God on Ironhorse's side, nobody should be able to stand against him.

Oh wait, we all drive cars.  And a car is a type of iron chariot.  That must be why God is powerless.  Says so right there in the Bible.  Judges 1:19

• Haha 4

• Super Moderator

This is really simple, guys. "False Teaching" always comes from that other church down the street. Always.

Next???

• Like 3

2 hours ago, florduh said:

This is really simple, guys. "False Teaching" always comes from that other church down the street. Always.

Next???

Damn Florduh, nailed it. How is it that IH was born and raised in the right sect/denomination/system?
How is it we the rest of those bad seeds discarded found our way here to ExC?

Magic?

kL

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

That's if you believe that kind of stuff.

13 minutes ago, theanticrash said:

That's if you believe that kind of stuff.

So it is like the Kate Hudson movie Skeleton Key.  You have to believe the magic or it won't have any power over you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mymistake said:

So it is like the Kate Hudson movie Skeleton Key.  You have to believe the magic or it won't have any power over you.

Yeah, we know IH or end3 or any other Christian has nothing more than their brains. 

It's bain against brains, the juiciest brain wins.

2 hours ago, mymistake said:

Damn. Haven't thought about that movie in a while.