Goodbye Jesus

List Of False Religions

eightman

As for being proud of ignorance....... can't say I have any respect, interest, or liking for any such person who takes satisfaction from mental void and vacuum. That is not a human being....that is a cow apathetically chewing its cud at the slaughterhouse stockyard.

It is one thing to be able to admit that you don't know everything. That is the beginning of wisdom. It's quite another to refuse to learn anything new and be "proud" of that. Learning is the whole point of life, at least for me. It's not much of a life if you close your mind to new experiences, and it sounds like the OP has his mind in a locked box. Very sad to see.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eightman

• Amethyst

• BlueGiant

• Lycorth

As for being proud of ignorance....... can't say I have any respect, interest, or liking for any such person who takes satisfaction from mental void and vacuum. That is not a human being....that is a cow apathetically chewing its cud at the slaughterhouse stockyard.

It is one thing to be able to admit that you don't know everything. That is the beginning of wisdom. It's quite another to refuse to learn anything new and be "proud" of that. Learning is the whole point of life, at least for me. It's not much of a life if you close your mind to new experiences, and it sounds like the OP has his mind in a locked box. Very sad to see.

Agreed.

Would you pass the steak sauce? :grin:

I'm not a fundy; the christ is just another CLOWN. Politics sucks but I lean towards the left although it is mostly all bull. I am simply FREEING MY MIND from all the religions or similars I have partially believed in through my life. FREE YOUR MINDS. I accept any and all contradictions because I don't worship LOGIC, COMMON SENSE, REASON, COHERENCE etc. That is all bull, it is just a painting, an organizing principle, but I could care less. Anyways, I don't know anything, I am totally clueless about everyhing and proud of it, even though being PROUD is a sin according to some. Anyways, I admit, I SUCK.

:ugh: I guess we should all conclude you are a nihilist? In short you believe in nothing... :scratch:

Courtesy of Webster's

nihilism

Main Entry: ni·hil·ism

Pronunciation: 'nI-(h)&-"li-z&m, 'nE-

Function: noun

Etymology: German Nihilismus, from Latin nihil nothing -- more at NIL

1 a : a viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that existence is senseless and useless b : a doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths

2 a (1) : a doctrine or belief that conditions in the social organization are so bad as to make destruction desirable for its own sake independent of any constructive program or possibility

Dont' take it too seriously. Just random thoughts that aren't backed up. Anyways a feeling that there are always religious thought structures even when we don't believe in a religion.

Practically I accept everything, science is useful and technology and we are never really free etc. If you just look at the whole system from a far enough angle it is just a painting, anything is equivalent, take out our subjectivity and sense organs (pain/pleasure, successful/or not etc.). Science is carved out through our path of pain/pleasure, usefulness/or not. Art is Science.

With or without god everything is ASTONISHING, A MIRACLE, IMPOSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND OR CONCEIVE.

Dont' take it too seriously. Just random thoughts that aren't backed up. Anyways a feeling that there are always religious thought structures even when we don't believe in a religion.

Practically I accept everything, science is useful and technology and we are never really free etc. If you just look at the whole system from a far enough angle it is just a painting, anything is equivalent, take out our subjectivity and sense organs (pain/pleasure, successful/or not etc.). Science is carved out through our path of pain/pleasure, usefulness/or not. Art is Science.

With or without god everything is ASTONISHING, A MIRACLE, IMPOSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND OR CONCEIVE.

I disagree. I think you misunderstand what science is all about. Science is, in a nutshell, all about understanding the world around us. I don't think the world is impossible to understand, as we're doing a pretty good job of understanding much of it right now.

Check out Wikipedia's article on the scientific method to learn more about how we "know" things and how we learn things here.

Also, just a note of advice, you might want to proof read your posts before posting. They can be kind of incoherent.

I understand this is your opinion. I disagree on certain points though. While yes, people can have religious thought structures going on without believing in a specific religion....this seems much more likely to be the experience of a person who has NEVER been involved in a religion and they are picking up these thought structures as cultural leftover as a result of religions pervasive nature in our society.

A person who HAS been directly involved in a religion, and has subsequently abandoned it, is in a better position to see the undercurrent of religion in society at large, and is therefore conscious of religious thought structures. And like many such undesirable notions, just being aware is sufficient to end the problem, and so that person winds up free from those religious thought structures.

Existing with a sense of amazement about everything is just fine, more power to you......but to say everything is impossible to understand is just a cop out absolving you of the responsibility of learning and understanding.

Understanding doesn't make things less amazing....it makes them even MORE amazing. Quit knocking on knowledge and people's desire to learn, just because you don't share the desire.

Not everything. A great many things are currently understood. And just because we don't know everything yet doesn't mean that scientists won't find out new things in the future.

For example, it's not a miracle that 2+2=4 and not 5 (yeah, yeah, not on a Pentium ;) ), or that things fall to the ground instead of floating up when they're dropped by someone, or that freezing water turns it from a liquid into a solid instead of a gas (or a purple cube with Mickey Mouse's face on it, for that matter).

It's also not a miracle that if you puncture your tire by running over a nail, the tire will deflate, most likely before you can get to a gas station.

Nor is it a miracle that you can bake a cake by adding flour, sugar, eggs, milk, and possibly a few other ingredients, stirring them and then pouring the batter into a cake pan and baking it in the oven. Now, if someone can bake a cake by waving a magic wand and simply making it appear, that would be a miracle (not to mention, a trick I would seriously like to learn).

Do you see what I'm saying? Not everything is impossible to understand or conceive, as you put it. Of course, if you don't know why these things happen, then I recommend taking some classes or at least reading a few books. Or heck, at the very least, rent some instructional DVDs on the subject. There's really no good excuse for remaining completely ignorant these days unless you have a serious mental illness or disability.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the human race won't find the answers to absolutely every single question that's ever been asked, but it doesn't hurt to try.

if you don't follow enything what are you doing? human knowledge is all we have whats on earth is all we got to work with. what choice do we have? sure everything humans ever thought, believed, done could be a great big lie. but no ones stepped in and declared we are wrong yet. exept humans who have difrrent views. all we have is all we got thats the ongly option we have.

If you're not worshipping god, you are worshipping something else. I shall now furnish a partial list of FALSE RELIGIONS people worship:

1) god,allah,buddah etc. NOW LETS ALL REPEAT LOUD AND CLEAR: THESE CLOWNS DON'T EXIST.

2) Science-technology-future. This is the most dominant FALSE RELIGION being followed in the world today. It is probably the best "religion" though and I would be lenient on it.

3) Love. A total pure illusion and invention.

4) Sex. Same as above, associated with maybe drugs, highs, LSD, TRYING TO HAVE FUN.

5) Money. You just need the bare minimum to survive.

6) Work. Same as above.

7) Progress. This is a subtle one; people think they "grow", progress towards "more knowledge", "more spirituality" etc. These are mostly just counters of numbers or measurements that don't mean anything at all. We have CHANGE, but rarely any progress, and besides progress is undefined.

8) Art-consumerism. These are false IDOLS. Billy Idol is the only real IDOL.

9) Marxism - social activism - idealisms

10) Many more, each of you add to this ever growing list of CRAP.

A man is truly free when he does not need to worship anything or live for anything at all. A man who believes in NOTHING is the real unknown god.

What's the difference between an "explanation" and a scribble on a piece of paper or pure non sense ? None. The explanation is just something useful for us in organizing and predicting the world, manipulating it according to our needs, pleasure, survival etc. But taken as is, there is nothing that really distinguishes an explanation from any sequence of symbols, a painting or any non sense at all.

The quantum physics equations are equivalent to any sequence of symbols. They become important only in that they can be used to interpret, organize conceptually and manipulate matter. They are in turn useful to us only because we are hardwired to perceive and interact with matter in a given quirk way. If we were hardwired differently we could even not have explanations, or have a completely different way to organize our thoughts-emotions-interactions. Science itself is just a QUIRK.

An empty mind is a pure mind. God is good. He wants the mind free from any noise. Metaphysical independence. An explanation is a set of cause and effects. A formula, interactions, experiments. Seen from outside the whole system it is just a drawing, a painting, with no intrinsic value. FREE YOUR MINDS!

Eightman,

What drugs are you on and where can I get some of it?

You said:

god,allah,buddah etc. NOW LETS ALL REPEAT LOUD AND CLEAR: THESE CLOWNS DON'T EXIST.

Yet then you say:

An empty mind is a pure mind. God is good. He wants the mind free from any noise. Metaphysical independence. An explanation is a set of cause and effects. A formula, interactions, experiments. Seen from outside the whole system it is just a drawing, a painting, with no intrinsic value. FREE YOUR MINDS!

So which is it, buddy? Are you a god fanboy or not? because, other than that blatant backpeddling, I have no idea what the fuck you're yammering on about.

So which is it, buddy? Are you a god fanboy or not? because, other than that blatant backpeddling, I have no idea what the fuck you're yammering on about.

Explanations are paintings or drawings. If in the future we somehow lived inside a computer simulation where objects popped into existence from nowhere and then dissappeared or where we could walk on water if we said a magic formula and any other extravagant miraculous phenomena existed, then we would create a science and a description and explanations of cause and effect based on this.

So the science or explanations (the causes and effects, the organizing principles etc.) would be a function of the universe we were observing. Change the rules of the universe and the science will change. Extrapolate this to the oddest and most creative combinations of phenomena we could design in the simulator and you would have a Science that would become an Art, a design, an invention, arbitrary with no intrinsic truth other than we are locked inside that particular universe through the simulation.

Now imagine that we are really living inside a simulator where a god or an alien race is designing the reality we observe and hence our Science. In this case isn't science just a painting, an art form ? What difference than does it make if we are inside a simulator or if this is the bare reality, isn't it just a quirk combination of elements, cause and effects, just like any quirk Painting (like the more abstract paintings) ? Reality/physics/universe could be (in a simulator) or could have been (in other possible universes) anything imaginable, hence even science is at the most fundamental level truly Arbitrary. In this sense, seen from a far enough angle everything is just an Art form, Art is Science.

Explanations are paintings or drawings.

No, they aren't. I don't know what planet you're from, but that's not the earth definition.

From dictionary.com:

ex·pla·na·tion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kspl-nshn)

n.

The act or process of explaining: launched into a detailed explanation.

Something that explains: That was supposedly the explanation for their misdeeds.

A mutual clarification of misunderstandings; a reconciliation.

I highly suggest you use the dictionary.

If in the future we somehow lived inside a computer simulation where objects popped into existence from nowhere and then dissappeared or where we could walk on water if we said a magic formula and any other extravagant miraculous phenomena existed, then we would create a science and a description and explanations of cause and effect based on this.

This isn't the future and we don't live in such a simulation. We live in the here and now. That proves nothing except that you read too much science fiction (and being a geek, I never thought I would say such a thing was possible).

Now imagine that we are really living inside a simulator where a god or an alien race is designing the reality we observe and hence our Science. In this case isn't science just a painting, an art form ? What difference than does it make if we are inside a simulator or if this is the bare reality, isn't it just a quirk combination of elements, cause and effects, just like any quirk Painting (like the more abstract paintings) ? Reality/physics/universe could be (in a simulator) or could have been (in other possible universes) anything imaginable, hence even science is at the most fundamental level truly Arbitrary. In this sense, seen from a far enough angle everything is just an Art form, Art is Science

But our brains are NOT in vats. We are NOT in simulators. This proves nothing except that you have seen the Matrix one too many times (again, something I've never thought possible until now).

The Matrix is fiction, not reality. If you think it's reality, you need help.

Eternaldarkness only asked you whether you believed in god or not. All you are doing is avoiding the answer by trying to sound philosophical.

Eternaldarkness only asked you whether you believed in god or not. All you are doing is avoiding the answer by trying to sound philosophical.

I don't know. It cannot be known. Am I god ? maybe. Are there many gods in a hierarchy, maybe ? Maybe god exists and doesn't exist. Why do I think I am 100% sure I am the christ ? Maybe I have been handed over to a depraved mind, to my own devices to do what ought not be done.

I don't know. It cannot be known. Am I god ? maybe. Are there many gods in a hierarchy, maybe ? Maybe god exists and doesn't exist. Why do I think I am 100% sure I am the christ ? Maybe I have been handed over to a depraved mind, to my own devices to do what ought not be done.

Pal. If you are christ, or god....then the only one who could have handed you over to a depraved mind is........

YOU.

Have fun with that. :HaHa:

It's perfectly okay to be agnostic. Heck, that's what I consider myself. But such low self-esteem is really not necessary. However, I really hope you aren't serious about this:

Am I god ? maybe. (snip) Why do I think I am 100% sure I am the christ ?

If you are serious, you should really go and see a therapist ASAP.

I think eightman is in a very spiritually nebulous period right now. It seems pretty clear to me that he's in a transition and my advice to him is to not continue to post about such things here, as it'll only serve to muddle things up more. Study, read, and contemplate - then come back and speak on the matter.

Dude, I have to echo the whole "What in the hell are you smoking and why aren't you sharing? --pass to the left: the wisdom of the hippies."

Ahem. Anywho, are you still looking for something, do you think you have found enlightenment? And who is to say who is slave and free? How do you know that you are not free?

I await a coherent post, then you may get a coherent answer.

Dude, I have to echo the whole "What in the hell are you smoking and why aren't you sharing? --pass to the left: the wisdom of the hippies."

Ahem. Anywho, are you still looking for something, do you think you have found enlightenment? And who is to say who is slave and free? How do you know that you are not free?

I don't smoke anything. I tried some grass in the 70s but stopped immediately because I was afraid. I come from the WOODSTOCK generation, I like extreme creativity. I am not looking for anything anymore, I have found all there is, and all there is is NOTHING. We are all slaves of MATTER, REALITY, LAWS OF PHYSICS. I am not free.

I watch X-files, I read "The Edge of Infinity" (Davies), I like science fiction.

To truly get to something different or new we would have to literally get out of the box; modify our neural circuits, mental neural networks, their connections to emotions, new complex and maybe extremely amplified sense organs, intense pleasure (and many other completely new-odd-wierd sensations-feelings) and sentiments and any other infinite combination of modified - designed brains. When this happens all our present day science will appear insignificant, we will be in the TECHNOLOGICAL SINGULARITY.

I have found all there is, and all there is is NOTHING.

And this is why you are getting some tough treatment Eightman. It's ok to ponder these things. That's interesting but you are making a claim as if it's true. How you know it's true? That's an enigma since you claim that you can't possibly know anything. You will probably get a lot further with this group if you steer clear of dogmatic statements.

reminds me of a song my momma used to sing to me..............

Every party needs a pooper

so that's why we invited you

Party pooper

party pooper

gotta love my momma, now wanna hear what she used to say about the blue bird of happiness when we pouted???

I watch X-files, I read "The Edge of Infinity" (Davies), I like science fiction.

To truly get to something different or new we would have to literally get out of the box; modify our neural circuits, mental neural networks, their connections to emotions, new complex and maybe extremely amplified sense organs, intense pleasure (and many other completely new-odd-wierd sensations-feelings) and sentiments and any other infinite combination of modified - designed brains. When this happens all our present day science will appear insignificant, we will be in the TECHNOLOGICAL SINGULARITY.

Ok, this I got. From this comment, you kinda sound like a Transhumanist. Are you?

I don't smoke anything. I tried some grass in the 70s but stopped immediately because I was afraid. I come from the WOODSTOCK generation, I like extreme creativity. I am not looking for anything anymore, I have found all there is, and all there is is NOTHING. We are all slaves of MATTER, REALITY, LAWS OF PHYSICS. I am not free.

Um... DUHHH! :Hmm:

Party popper's back. Well, didn't anyone add anything to the list of CRAP ? Well then I shall add some more false religions:

12) Capitalism- free market economy MYTH. This is another subtle one, they think everyone can become rich etc. only a very small amount of people get anywhere and anyways it is tied up with that other false religion called MONEY.

13) Economy. This is a FALSE SCIENCE. All it talks about are really very vague abstract concepts, that no one really can understand. Economic growth for example can mean anything; if more bombs are dropped in crappy Iraq more factories produce more bombs to kill etc, there you get economic growth which in the end means nothing....

Anyways, bear in mind that I do SUCK alot.

If you don't believe in the clown called god, you can't believe in anything. Or anything you believe in is god with a MASK. He masks himself, he puts on a disguise and hoses people through other IDOLS. If you believe in the christ, then you can only believe in him and only completely dedicate yourself to him 24 hours a day, every thought, don't eat, don't drink, pure adoration to absolutely nothing.

When you really reach a point of not believing in NOTHING, then you are truly spiritual and absolutely free. Free your minds, hand yourselves over to your own devices, be yourself.

Transhumanism is another kind of religion, I like the part of Paradise Engineering, who knows this may be the future.

When I said smoke I wasn't just refering to reefer.

You contradict yourself:

...Anyways, I don't know anything, I am totally clueless about everyhing and proud of it...

So if you know nothing, how do you know if you are slave or free? How do you know that there is NOTHING? (and isn't nothing in and of itself something?) And while you may be a slave to the matter, reality, physics, I would turn around and claim that I am their master and they are my mere playthings? If you know nothing, how do you know you're wrong?

If there is no god, then by default I become my own, and this god is waiting for a coherent response.

I like you, in a way. I find you amusing. Dance with Us, Dance with us into Oblivion!

Sorry I meant to say party pooper, no edit function on forums. ...

Everything is impossible, amazing, cannot be understood, we are totally clueless about everything.

We use formal language to communicate, but language has all its items defined within the language itself. So you can never really get any answer, just symbols. You can get out of the language system and use art or machines or any reality, but then we are always limited in that we switch one kind of item into another, they are always items that say nothing. An infinite regression of languages.

Our self consciousness cannot be ever understood for the same reason, you must be outside of consciousness to understand consciousness, so consciousness, scientifically will never be understood.