Sign in to follow this  
LeiaBryant

Can Christianity exist without patriarchy?

1 hour ago, Tsathoggua9 said:

Very good point!

@Tsathoggua9 what do you think of the original question, can Christianity be nonpatriarchal?

I only have 2 or 3 original Christian friends who have stood by me.  And they are the luke warm, go to church at Easter and Xmas kind.  Most others still are friendly and tolerate me, but the relationship is not the same, including many relatives.  I don't discuss religion with any of them because it is obvious they don't want to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeiaBryant said:

@Tsathoggua9 what do you think of the original question, can Christianity be nonpatriarchal?

I think that the patriarchy aspect is pretty much built-in to the religion. That being said, there are plenty of people who self-identify as christians who simply do not take the harsh aspects of their faith that seriously, and instead emphasize more egalitarian qualities. My personal preference is just to relinquish Christianity altogether, but, hey! Different strokes fer different folks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Tsathoggua9 said:

My personal preference is just to relinquish Christianity altogether, but, hey! Different strokes fer different folks.

Very true.  People tend to believe what they want to believe, and tune out the rest.  And too often in the world critical thinking is not encouraged.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Very true.  People tend to believe what they want to believe, and tune out the rest.  And too often in the world critical thinking is not encouraged.

Well, ya see, I have noticed that some of these people who stay in church don't even really believe the dogma anymore. They just don't want to leave their church for purely social reasons. I've talked with a few individuals in that sort of situation. Once the older folk (these people's parents) die off, I think that we will see more of a true mass break/ exodus from established religion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tsathoggua9 said:

Well, ya see, I have noticed that some of these people who stay in church don't even really believe the dogma anymore. They just don't want to leave their church for purely social reasons. I've talked with a few individuals in that sort of situation. Once the older folk (these people's parents) die off, I think that we will see more of a true mass break/ exodus from established religion.

Yup I know people exactly like this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2020 at 1:05 PM, freedwoman said:

If I could go back in time when the Bible was being written by those abusive oppressive men of God. I would gather my sisters and tell them how in other religions women are revered and of equal status with men. Even warriors. And we would cut their manhood parts off while they are asleep. Sister you can't get around it. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all hate us women and think we're only good for one thing. 

Amen sister preach

On 3/12/2020 at 8:30 AM, Joshpantera said:

You're on the verge of seeing true colors. And how nasty a lot of christians can be towards (1) non-believers and (2) esoteric mystics. But I suspect that some of them will not flip a switch. But of those who don't flip the nasty switch, you'll likely encounter some who act friendly but are steadfast about trying to bring back around again. And making gestures in that direction. 

I did see true colors, I got mixed results like the ones you describe.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

I did see true colors, I got mixed results like the ones you describe.

How did it go? How are you doing? Going through all that can be tough. But this group is here for you. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

How did it go? How are you doing? Going through all that can be tough. But this group is here for you. 

It went well,I am okay kind of.

On 3/11/2020 at 3:33 PM, TruthSeeker0 said:

Agreed. If it were me I'd expect "Satan has your heart" and they'd drop me immediately. Speaking as an ex xtian who also dropped my friend when she came out gay, (I was still xtian then) I can say it forced me to examine my beliefs, that was too difficult for me, and so I dropped her. Not everyone will do that but from where I come from they are very few and far between. 

I got one close to that ,I quote "the devil has you soul child" most were more tame than that.

I have recently made a new friend who is Christian and not patriarchal with the faith, her church even has a female pastor!  I am glad I finally have Christian friends that have known I was a witch from the beginning.

• Like 1

Guest freedwoman
16 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

I have recently made a new friend who is Christian and not patriarchal with the faith, her church even has a female pastor!  I am glad I finally have Christian friends that have known I was a witch from the beginning.

They are being unbiblical. 

https://biblehub.com/1_timothy/2-12.htm

https://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/14-34.htm