Goodbye Jesus

Introduction

SouthernSound

17 minutes ago, florduh said:

You're making this too complicated. If someone says he is X then who am I to doubt? Whether or not I think X is a reasonable thing to be is another question.

Do you think an atheist is a resonable thing to be?

Seems like everyone here is a moderator. Kind of funny.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TABA said:

I’ve taken in ideas and practices from various schools of philosophy, and continue to explore.  Life is good. 

What practices?

4 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I believe that dealing with the grueling details of god can take my focus away from the satisfaction of making a living and the joy of everyday details of life.

What does your avatar mean?

10 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

Seems like everyone here is a moderator. Kind of funny.

No, not everyone, but moderators tend to be fairly active (Probably part of the reason they are moderators).

On 8/24/2021 at 8:08 PM, SouthernSound said:

My reason for joining is I'm interested in what Ex Christians believe after they apostatize.

So you are interested in what ex-Christians believe.  That's cool.  I'm curious. Does this come from a genuine desire to understand?  Or are you attempting to achieve other goals?  I ask because other Christians who stop by with a similar opening statement often have no desire to really understand the ex-christian journey.  It is more about trying gather information in order to mount an argument.  Not saying that is the case with you.  Just wondering if you might be an exception. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
8 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

What does your avatar mean?

It means I prefer not to use my real name online.  What's yours mean?

Just posting to say I'm not a Moderator. I visit every day and read things thoroughly.

I was an evangelical Christian minister for many years until I was 'surprised by joy' when I realised it was all foolishness. My pet dislike is christians trying to convert me - 'been there, done that, got the T-shirt' -  am happier now without it all.

SouthernSound: I am following your posts with interest, waiting to see if you are like the rest who come here.

• Like 2

So far this thread is meh. No real response to our posts. Just a whole lot of "lots of mods" or "what does your avatar mean?"

@SouthernSound Can you please clarify what you mean by your question "what do we believe"? I pointed out that I probably believe most of the things you do. Do you have a response to that in light of your opening post?

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
11 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

An atheist is nothing more than a person who has not found evidence to believe in a god. With no evidence for gods then the most reasonable thing to do would be conclude there are no gods. So yes, it is the very definition of reasonable.

I would venture to say that you are probably an atheist regarding every god but your own. Is that reasonable for you?

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

I do. 

And here's why. Theist belief is based solely on a presupposition that a god exists, without first confirming that the presupposition is correct and true before moving forward with that belief. There's no god visible to anyone. There's no indication of the existence of such a claim. All attempts at trying to prove the existence of god fail. If you doubt me, go ahead try and you're best to prove it. I can link you into a debate forum and try your heart out for public viewing. 

Just because things exist doesn't mean that the only option for their existence is a supernatural god. That's only one of many propositions. And probably has the least support in it's favor. 

So lacking belief in the existence of a supernatural creator god is the most reasonable position one can take based on the available information. It's not established as a truth. So it's reasonable to without hold belief. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

Theist belief is based solely on a presupposition that a god exists, without first confirming that the presupposition is correct and true before moving forward with that belief.

I would agree that MOST theists are operating solely on the basis of presupposition: they have never questioned the existence of a god, for whatever reason.  But I don’t doubt that some theists HAVE questioned and have sincerely concluded that the existence of a god is justified by evidence.  Like Josh, I disagree with that conclusion, so I hold a position of agnostic atheism: not claiming certainty, but not believing.  Most of us here who identify as atheists take that position. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

Jesus, will you answer Southern's question please?

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, freshstart said:

So you are interested in what ex-Christians believe.  That's cool.  I'm curious. Does this come from a genuine desire to understand?  Or are you attempting to achieve other goals?  I ask because other Christians who stop by with a similar opening statement often have no desire to really understand the ex-christian journey.  It is more about trying gather information in order to mount an argument.  Not saying that is the case with you.  Just wondering if you might be an exception. 

I can assure you it is to understand. I'm not interested in arguing. Those are honest answers.

11 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

It means I prefer not to use my real name online.  What's yours mean?

I thought the avatar was the image and the screen name was the handle.

11 hours ago, nontheistpilgrim said:

Just posting to say I'm not a Moderator. I visit every day and read things thoroughly.

I was an evangelical Christian minister for many years until I was 'surprised by joy' when I realised it was all foolishness. My pet dislike is christians trying to convert me - 'been there, done that, got the T-shirt' -  am happier now without it all.

SouthernSound: I am following your posts with interest, waiting to see if you are like the rest who come here.

What denomination.

Salue!

10 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

So far this thread is meh. No real response to our posts. Just a whole lot of "lots of mods" or "what does your avatar mean?"

@SouthernSound Can you please clarify what you mean by your question "what do we believe"? I pointed out that I probably believe most of the things you do. Do you have a response to that in light of your opening post?

Spiritual beliefs are my interest. I realize for an authentic atheist this may mean no spiritual beliefs at all, but it seems sometimes even atheists have a spiritual card up their sleeve (so to say). Like Sam Harris for example.

9 hours ago, florduh said:

An atheist is nothing more than a person who has not found evidence to believe in a god. With no evidence for gods then the most reasonable thing to do would be conclude there are no gods. So yes, it is the very definition of reasonable.

I would venture to say that you are probably an atheist regarding every god but your own. Is that reasonable for you?

Sometimes no evidence leads to agnosticism. Sometimes no evidence leads to a conflicting set of beliefs. Spiritual matters don't always have people thinking rationally(I'm not being critical here). Our mortality can be a scary thing.

I believe in many spirits. I only worship the God of the Bible.

9 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

I do. 

Are you spiritual?

2 hours ago, TABA said:

I would agree that MOST theists are operating solely on the basis of presupposition: they have never questioned the existence of a god, for whatever reason.  But I don’t doubt that some theists HAVE questioned and have sincerely concluded that the existence of a god is justified by evidence.  Like Josh, I disagree with that conclusion, so I hold a position of agnostic atheism: not claiming certainty, but not believing.  Most of us here who identify as atheists take that position. 

While I disagree with your conclusion I think you clearly stated your position.

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
39 minutes ago, SouthernSound said:

I thought the avatar was the image and the screen name was the handle.

Then I suppose my answer was not very helpful. 

• Super Moderator
28 minutes ago, SouthernSound said:

I only worship the God of the Bible.

Why?

Just like Christians, ex-christians go on to believe all sorts of things - some true, some not.

Leaving Christianity is not a single lane country road.  To discard one single belief is not to automatically take up another, specific belief.  The only universal belief ex-christians share is that continued belief in Christianity is not justified.  Where they go from there is entirely up to them.

• Like 4

Southern, has Jesus ever appeared to you in person? Or spoke in an audible voice to you? If so, what did he say?

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, SouthernSound said:
11 hours ago, florduh said:

Sometimes no evidence leads to agnosticism. Sometimes no evidence leads to a conflicting set of beliefs. Spiritual matters don't always have people thinking rationally(I'm not being critical here). Our mortality can be a scary thing.

I believe in many spirits. I only worship the God of the Bible.

You asked me if I thought atheism was reasonable and I made the case that it is. Atheism is not a positive belief that needs proof, Theism makes a positive claim and therefore has the burden of proof. FYI, an agnostic also does not have a positive god belief. As you say, "spiritual matters" are by definition outside the realm of proof and logic. Whether or not a belief without basis other than emotional need is to be considered "rational" is up to you.

• Like 1