Goodbye Jesus

Introduction

SouthernSound

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, SouthernSound said:

As I started in my first post my interest is in what apostates believe after falling away.

I believe you should spend more time understanding our answers and attempting to answer our questions.

7 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Let me define something for you in this case: "Waste-of-time" : A person who comes with the pretence of wanting to have a conversation, but in fact does not contribute meaningful content to that conversation. 

Woah, let's back up a little here. If we look at the original post, we'll see that this person came here with questions about us. It's like being interviewed; the interviewer asks questions and the interviewee(?) gives answers. I threw in a question of my own earlier, but I recognize that this person's stated reason for being here is to interview *me*. I don't think we need to be combative about that.

17 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

60 years and a minister. Wow. Have you posted your testimony here somewhere. I would like to read it.

You said you'd be interested; what did you think? (It does answer your first post, I think.)

How do you relate to my being surprised by joy - I still remember the feeling well after 15 years.

On 8/25/2021 at 9:04 PM, SouthernSound said:

What practices?

Some of the techniques of Stoicism, among others.  Stoicism predates christianity and influenced it considerably.  It sank into relative obscurity for centuries while christianity was dominant and now it’s seeing a big resurgence as people leave religion.  It provides valuable guidelines for living, especially for those of us who no longer look to a deity.  And yet it’s not incompatible with christianity, even though it has supplanted it for many people.  

• Super Moderator
28 minutes ago, TABA said:

Some of the techniques of Stoicism, among others.  Stoicism predates christianity and influenced it considerably.  It sank into relative obscurity for centuries while christianity was dominant and now it’s seeing a big resurgence as people leave religion.  It provides valuable guidelines for living, especially for those of us who no longer look to a deity.  And yet it’s not incompatible with christianity, even though it has supplanted it for many people.  

Stoicism is nothing to get excited about.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, nontheistpilgrim said:

You said you'd be interested; what did you think? (It does answer your first post, I think.)

How do you relate to my being surprised by joy - I still remember the feeling well after 15 years.

It said I lacked the privilege to download the file. I did read the dialogue in the thread.

50 minutes ago, SouthernSound said:

It said I lacked the privilege to download the file. I did read the dialogue in the thread.

?😲

52 minutes ago, nontheistpilgrim said:

?😲

Might have to post the file in this thread so sound can download it. 

9 hours ago, Moonobserver said:

Woah, let's back up a little here. If we look at the original post, we'll see that this person came here with questions about us. It's like being interviewed; the interviewer asks questions and the interviewee(?) gives answers. I threw in a question of my own earlier, but I recognize that this person's stated reason for being here is to interview *me*. I don't think we need to be combative about that.

And I've answered, several times. 

I told them that we believe mostly the same things apart from God. Got no response. Then we got onto the spiritual question to which I requested a definition from the 'interviewer' to further the conversation. I didn't get that and if you have a look a lot of the responses are a few word responses. Hence my last post. 

Also they didn't state they are here to interview us. They said "My reason for joining is I'm interested in what Ex Christians believe after they apostatize." 

So I was attempting conversation that would lead down those lines, but meaningful conversations only work if both parties contribute sufficiently. Or else it is, dare I say it again, a waste-of-time. (Definition previously given)

And if you think that's me being combative... wait until you see me really combative :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Why does anyone want to keep answering Sound's questions? This just feels like a Christbot herding ex-Christian cattle. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, midniterider said:

Why does anyone want to keep answering Sound's questions? This just feels like a Christbot herding ex-Christian cattle. 

He seems to be slowing down on the questions. Maybe the "Interview" is almost over. 

10 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Might have to post the file in this thread so sound can download it. 

I'm not sure it's worth it and why can't SouthernSound access it? I'm thinking they don't really care what we think, just trying to wind us up.

I'll take a break until I see some effort to engage properly.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:04 PM, SouthernSound said:

It's where they go from there that interests me.

I think you will have better luck if you engage with a single person at a time.

Your question can be reframed to show why your initial shotgun approach is ineffective:

You are a New Yorker, perhaps moved to New York or born and raised there.  You are at a site of ex-New Yorkers asking them where they moved when they left.  It's interesting to you where they moved.  Some moved to London; some are in Madrid.  A few moved to LA and a few crazy ones moved to Florida.  In general, everyone who left moved to all manner of places across the world.

It's different because most New Yorkers are more interested in knowing why someone would ever dare leave New York and insist on arguing why we were wrong to move away.  So far you occupy a unique position of only asking where we went as opposed to why.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 7:41 AM, SouthernSound said:

As I started in my first post my interest is in what apostates believe after falling away.

I would genuinely like to know why, SouthernSound.  Why does a Christian care or want to know more about what apostates believe?  Are you preparing a sermon?  Hoping to demonstrate to someone in your life that there is a huge void in the after-Christian life? You certainly won't be able to demonstrate that here.  Life is freer, richer, and fuller for most of us (maybe all of us?) after shedding mythological beliefs.  For me it was like removing blinders that were blotting out the truth.  The truth is a double-edged sword.  It can be both a relief as well as a little disappointing.  I don't have all the answers anymore.  But the truth is I never did anyway.  I just thought I did.

On 8/27/2021 at 9:38 PM, SouthernSound said:

An authentic Christian is a person who loves and worships Jesus Christ with all their heart. If this is done with a genuine and honest heart many character traits follow from that, of course.

I hope you understand that, by this definition of a Christian, ^^^ almost everyone here is an ex-authentic-Christian.

On 8/27/2021 at 10:24 PM, DarkBishop said:

you didn't tell me generally where you are from. 

Given the name, I'm guessing SouthternSound is from somewhere in the American "bible belt."  Would we be correct to assume that?

• Like 2

Personally, it doesn't really matter to me that SS is not following a usual pattern of conversational discourse - as long as things remain civil (if not a little boring).  Without knowing why SS wants to know more about what ex-Cs believe, it is hard to interpret why SS does not particularly engage in a way that would be more meaningful. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I wonder if SouthernSound eats avacados.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, freshstart said:

I would genuinely like to know why, SouthernSound.  Why does a Christian care or want to know more about what apostates believe?  Are you preparing a sermon?  Hoping to demonstrate to someone in your life that there is a huge void in the after-Christian life?

I'm not writing a sermon. I'm not trying to demonstrate anything.

I'm genuinely curious to know how people satisfy their spiritual needs after Christianity. People tend to gravitate towards the spiritual. Where are they drawn?

I understand it differs from person to person but there are large spiritual categories in the world.

I'll read more on the site and perhaps start some threads in the Lion's Den. (I think that is the only place besides here I can post).

6 hours ago, freshstart said:

Given the name, I'm guessing SouthternSound is from somewhere in the American "bible belt."  Would we be correct to assume that?

Well thats what I thought. But I dont know anyone in the south that has never heard "The Devil went down to GA" and "salue" is not a common word here. 

4 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

I'm genuinely curious to know how people satisfy their spiritual needs after Christianity. People tend to gravitate towards the spiritual. Where are they drawn?

I understand it differs from person to person but there are large spiritual categories in the world.

Paganism is a good way, if you like/want/need a god or a goddess. Or even deity-free paganism is good. I've found paganism to be free from guilt, shame and fear that is usually associated with Christianity. 

11 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Well thats what I thought. But I dont know anyone in the south that has never heard "The Devil went down to GA" and "salue" is not a common word here. 

Maybe from Southern Puget Sound :)

2 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Checking closer.

1 hour ago, midniterider said:

Maybe from Southern Puget Sound :)

Getting warmer! 

ip address some where's in North Dakota. So I guess it means southern ND????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

As I previously asked - what are you calling spiritual? I cannot answer your question until you give me your working definition of what you mean by spiritual? From a religious point of view I don't have 'spiritual' needs so therefore no need to satisfy them. I have emotional needs, physical needs. And everlasting itch to go fishing. I enjoy breath-taking scenery, beautiful sun rises and sets, and symphonic metal. I have a range of emotional experiences during these experiences some of which can be described as euphoric. 

Is that spiritual to you? Or are we talking about something else?

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

and "salue" is not a common word here. 

What?  Ain't you never gone down the creek and caught you a whole sa-lew of crawdads?  Or gone to grandma's for breakfast and ate you a whole sa-lew of biscuits?  He's spelling it wrong, is all; but sa-lew is a word we true-ass rednecks use almost daily.  Even got another meaning: you know what David done to Goliath?  That's right, he sa-lew him.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

What?  Ain't you never gone down the creek and caught you a whole sa-lew of crawdads?  Or gone to grandma's for breakfast and ate you a whole sa-lew of biscuits?  He's spelling it wrong, is all; but sa-lew is a word we true-ass rednecks use almost daily.  Even got another meaning: you know what David done to Goliath?  That's right, he sa-lew him.

Well I'll be damned your right. Bless his heart. He's using it all wrong. And my grammar is way off. I thought it was spelled slew. But using phonics. Sa-lew is definitely the correct spelling. Thanks Prof. 😊

🤣