Goodbye Jesus

The Specious Love Of God

Checkmate

...you create your own universe...

I saw that you did post in the Science vs Religion section so you saw where scientists are trying to do just that. It really doesn't change much what I believe, but it may put some dents in your belief if they do create a universe because that is part of your acceptance that there may not be a god.

And I'm sure we both agree that when that day comes that it's not up to the scientists to judge any life inside the new universe. They want to create the universe...not judge whatever lives inside it.

mwc

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• freeday

• Checkmate

• Ouroboros

• RHEMtron

Antlerman: i love your posts and your insights.... just not your music. :lmao: just kidding just kidding just kidding.

freeday: It doesnt matter if 9/11 happened today, yesterday, couple years ago, or a thousand years ago. An attrocity is an attrocity. Centuries from now, footage of the planes crashing into the buildings, and people jumping from windows will be shown in classrooms and on tv. I guarantee people will have the same reaction as someone watching it in the present. It has the same ol' sting.

I like how you said you focus on the commandment of Love your neighbor. Didnt you post earlier that sinners needed to be punished? That we need to go to war with pagans? People must die and suffer so you can witness? You didnt seem to be focusing on Love your neighbor then. I had to point it out to you... twice!!

i am sorry this is not the answer you wanted. you keep reversing the role, it's God's job to do the judging, until you create your own universe and humans, i think it will remain that way.

and just asking why are you so mad about something that happened thousands of yrs ago. you don't know the full circumstances of the situation, only a small portion is revealed.

So much for your "final answer", huh? Why do you Xians keep making these bold declarations of being finished, and "I'm leaving", and then you remain? :shrug: Lying is a sin, you know.

And as for my anger, freeday, I thought even YOU would have gotten it by now. I/we have repeated it often enough. I am NOT angry about something that "happened thousands of years ago". I AM NOT. (Can you understand these simple words?) These events DID NOT HAPPEN! They are folklore.

I AM ANGRY about YOU, and people like you, who insist on believing these ridiculous horror stories, AND using them to "prove god's love"! I am angry at YOU for being a thick-headed IDIOT! We've wasted days and weeks explaining all this and you still manage to mangle the message. You STILL think this is about your "god". THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOUR "GOD". It's about YOU and your warped interpretations and your belief that it is "good" for your "god" to murder your fellow human beings. No matter what time period we speak of.

And BTW, why do I need to know the "full circumstances" to know that it is WRONG to murder innocent people just for the "offense" of living on their own land? Since when does "morality" require a theological degree in hermenuetics? Do any of us need to know the "full circumstances" that led Adolph Hitler to kick his "final solution" into high gear? Or can we just JUDGE that it was fucking wrong!?

Face facts, freeday. For all your Xian protestations, you're no better than a fundy MUSLIM. The only difference being that in our Western societies we've removed the church's ability to kill like you did in the past.

But you know what? You're right about one thing. I am wasting my time being angry with you. You're obviously a lost cause. We've tried being nice and eloquent (Antlerman!), and I've tried brute force and crudeness. All to no avail. Thinking is obviously beyond your meager abilities. EVERYTHING we post is "meaningless" to you. Fine.

I hope you are very happy in your narrow-minded little world. You and your monster god.

like i have said before, i focus on two things. which Jesus himself said were the greatest commandments. love God and Love your nieghbor. i find these to be helpfull and insightfull for all humanity.

BUT. people keep asking these questions, focusing on them. i can't help what the bible says, if people have a problem with it, they can choose not to believe or question God in the afterlife.

The God i believe in doesn't ask much, but gives greatly.

Fair enough, but like I've said before too, this is like the wife who chooses not to focus on her husband's abusive behavior towards her and the kids. I honestly can't help but see that affecting you somewhere in there in your love for your idea of God. It did me.

BTW, "I can't help what the Bible says?" Care for me to start a topic where we take just ONE verse and see if we can come up with ONE reading of it? In short, yes you can choose how you read what it says. Don't fool yourself. There's plenty of Christians who reject the theology of a literal hell.

if people have a problem with it, they can choose not to believe or question God in the afterlife.

The bible doesn't mention any Q&A session so we have to ask those spirit filled xians.

The God i believe in doesn't ask much, but gives greatly.

Now, this is where I, and I think others, seem to get hung up. What he "asks" is perfection. Plain and simple. Absolute perfection in every way shape and form. This is something I cannot give.

You tell me that this is what jesus is for. To bridge this gap. To make me "acceptable" to god. In reality jesus is a mask I would wear. The HS something to "enhance" or "replace" my personal essence. You see, losing myself in "him" is losing the most important thing I have...me. This is the "price" I am asked to pay. It is a very high price and the thing it is just so when "god" takes a look at me he doesn't see "sinful" old me but rather he sees the "perfect" reflection of jesus (himself) staring right back at him. No matter what I, in and of myself, can never be "good enough" for this "thing" called god. Rather than simply accepted us as "sinful" beings he tries to "fix" us and make us into "perfect" beings. However, rather than using his ability to keep us as we are, but making us perfect he wishes to remove who we are and replace us with what he is.

If you like who you are and what you are you will realize that the price is too high. If you wish to be transformed into someone else, into something else, then I am sure that you will more than welcome what you believe is in store for you. I did at one point.

mwc

Good God MWC... that was just pretty damn profound!!! Thank you for consciously writing what we subconsciously knew :thanks:

And as for my anger, freeday, I thought even YOU would have gotten it by now. I/we have repeated it often enough. I am NOT angry about something that "happened thousands of years ago". I AM NOT. (Can you understand these simple words?) These events DID NOT HAPPEN! They are folklore.

I AM ANGRY about YOU, and people like you, who insist on believing these ridiculous horror stories, AND using them to "prove god's love"! I am angry at YOU for being a thick-headed IDIOT! We've wasted days and weeks explaining all this and you still manage to mangle the message. You STILL think this is about your "god". THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOUR "GOD". It's about YOU and your warped interpretations and your belief that it is "good" for your "god" to murder your fellow human beings. No matter what time period we speak of.

He (she?)'s not the first, and neither will be the last, christian, who deliberately chooses to convince himself of our being "angry at god" or "angry at something we say we don't believe in" or "angry at jesus" or "angry at the bible" and so on. As I already said about amy marie, it's much more comfortable to think of us as a bunch of angry, red-in-the-face, spitting-and-cursing people who can't find peace because we're without their oh-so-holy god. It wouldn't be as comfortable to acknowledge that we're so angry at him because he keeps systematically dancing around our questions without actually addressing them.

But even if he's not the first and won't be the last, I get angry just the same. He shouldn't have even TRIED to tackle the damned thread, if he didn't feel like answering! No, freeday, if you're still reading, I don't believe you answered at all. Want to know why?

Because your god is all powerful.

If your god only wanted to, those "sinners" that "just have to be killed with a holy necessary war" (I am paraphrasing you, of course), wouldn't be sinners anymore, and no war and bloodspilling would be needed at all. Get it? No, of course you don't. Meh. :shrug:

And BTW, why do I need to know the "full circumstances" to know that it is WRONG to murder innocent people just for the "offense" of living on their own land?

His line of reasoning is sick.

"X is evil."

"God is good."

"God did X."

"God CANNOT do something evil, by definition. EITHER we change the definition, and we don't want to, or we choose a whole new standard to evaluate our god's actions and our god's alone."

"Let's choose B - creation of a new standard."

"X is evil, but if God does X, X is good."

Really, really sick.

If you're wondering why it is sick, freeday, try to substitute "X" with "Raping" and "God" with "The Pope" or "The President". Get it now? No, of course not. :shrug:

I just read an old thread by HanSolo and it inspired me to pray:

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showtopic=3393

God... lord our father who art in heaven o praise him hallelujah... I pray that another house in this world be broken into. I pray that another family gets broken up due to adultery, alcohol, fights, etc. Please let another child starve. I also ask that you let more people die in wars today. If able to, let oppression run rapant around the world. I know it's in your power, but can you let more people suffer and die from terrible disasters? In Jesus' name i pray.... Amen.

Will my prayers be answered? The bible did say if i pray in Jesus' name, it will be done. If they are answered, does that show us God's love?

Com'on Rhem, you and I both know that god can say yes, no and wait awhile, just like the pet rock I pray to can.

haha... that reminds me of an episode from the Simpsons

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a

charm.

Lisa: That's spacious reasoning, Dad.

Homer: Thank you, dear.

Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.

Homer: Oh, how does it work?

Lisa: It doesn't work.

Homer: Uh-huh.

Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.

Lisa: But you don't see any tigers around, do you?

[Homer thinks of this, then pulls out some money]

Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

[Lisa refuses at first, then takes the exchange]

haha... that reminds me of an episode from the Simpsons

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a

charm.

Lisa: That's spacious reasoning, Dad.

Homer: Thank you, dear.

Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.

Homer: Oh, how does it work?

Lisa: It doesn't work.

Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.

Lisa: But you don't see any tigers around, do you?

[Homer thinks of this, then pulls out some money]

Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

[Lisa refuses at first, then takes the exchange]

Now that is funny. I miss the Simpsons. They show the old ones here, but I haven't seen the episode you mention. It must be less than two years old.

...you create your own universe...

I saw that you did post in the Science vs Religion section so you saw where scientists are trying to do just that. It really doesn't change much what I believe, but it may put some dents in your belief if they do create a universe because that is part of your acceptance that there may not be a god.

And I'm sure we both agree that when that day comes that it's not up to the scientists to judge any life inside the new universe. They want to create the universe...not judge whatever lives inside it.

mwc

:scratch::HaHa:

He (she?)'s not the first, and neither will be the last, christian, who deliberately chooses to convince himself of our being "angry at god" or "angry at something we say we don't believe in" or "angry at jesus" or "angry at the bible" and so on. As I already said about amy marie, it's much more comfortable to think of us as a bunch of angry, red-in-the-face, spitting-and-cursing people who can't find peace because we're without their oh-so-holy god. It wouldn't be as comfortable to acknowledge that we're so angry at him because he keeps systematically dancing around our questions without actually addressing them.

But even if he's not the first and won't be the last, I get angry just the same. He shouldn't have even TRIED to tackle the damned thread, if he didn't feel like answering! No, freeday, if you're still reading, I don't believe you answered at all. Want to know why?

Because your god is all powerful.

If your god only wanted to, those "sinners" that "just have to be killed with a holy necessary war" (I am paraphrasing you, of course), wouldn't be sinners anymore, and no war and bloodspilling would be needed at all. Get it? No, of course you don't. Meh. :shrug:

And BTW, why do I need to know the "full circumstances" to know that it is WRONG to murder innocent people just for the "offense" of living on their own land?

His line of reasoning is sick.

"X is evil."

"God is good."

"God did X."

"God CANNOT do something evil, by definition. EITHER we change the definition, and we don't want to, or we choose a whole new standard to evaluate our god's actions and our god's alone."

"Let's choose B - creation of a new standard."

"X is evil, but if God does X, X is good."

Really, really sick.

If you're wondering why it is sick, freeday, try to substitute "X" with "Raping" and "God" with "The Pope" or "The President". Get it now? No, of course not. :shrug:

i promise i don't look at you as mad angry people spitting and cursing. except good ole mr. grinch. he has some serious anger issues.

i look at judgement differently than you. funny enough, the one time where i thought his judgement was excessively bruttal, you guys never even have mentioned it.

God... lord our father who art in heaven o praise him hallelujah... I pray that another house in this world be broken into. I pray that another family gets broken up due to adultery, alcohol, fights, etc. Please let another child starve. I also ask that you let more people die in wars today. If able to, let oppression run rapant around the world. I know it's in your power, but can you let more people suffer and die from terrible disasters? In Jesus' name i pray.... Amen.

Will my prayers be answered? The bible did say if i pray in Jesus' name, it will be done. If they are answered, does that show us God's love?

thats messed up dude. :eek::eek::eek:

Good God MWC... that was just pretty damn profound!!! Thank you for consciously writing what we subconsciously knew :thanks:

I'm glad you liked it. :thanks:

mwc

Doode!! Now explain to me how it's messed up? All of what i asked for happened today. Blame God. You tell him that it's messed up. Ask him how it shows his love.

I'm not exactly a veteran at this site, but in reading this thread it seems to me like Grinch originally posed a perfectly legitimate issue:

PROVE to me that “God is Love”. I dare you.

And I have yet to see a well thought out answer from any apologist or other proponent of "the faith" to address that subject.

For my contribution, I would answer with material based on what I read on Dr. Mike Magee's fascinating site, www. askwhy.co.uk. Originally, yahweh was a "baal", a tribal war-demon, who promised protection from enemies and prosperity in return for unswerving devotion to his petulant and nitpicky preferences for worship. Later, when Cyrus I of Persia was seeking to establish a satrap, a buffer state between his empire and that of his mortal enemies, the Greeks, yahweh got elevated to a more prominent position, that is on a par with Ormuzd, the Ahuramazdah, the transcendental creator of all things. This under Ezra and Nehemiah, the Zoroastrian administrators of the Yehud, the created Jewish homeland of Palestine. Descendants of the hebrew caananites were actively recruited to populate this new satrap.

So, I suppose the answer to the original post is that god is certainly not "love" in the early OT. He is instead a one-god protection racket. Then he evolved into a transcendental "creator" god, finally culminating in the syncretic Paulist revolution of incorporating what was once the hebrew baal into the godman concept, another theme that permeated the religions of the middle east. Hence we get good ol' jesus as the iteration of the zoroastrian mithras, the egyptian horus, the assyrian attis, and so on. The concept of "love" quickly fades from the paradigm, unless you accept the Paulist christian model that developed in the late Roman empire, one that was enforced with ruthless persistance.

i promise i don't look at you as mad angry people spitting and cursing. except good ole mr. grinch. he has some serious anger issues.

Amazing. Absolutely amazing. You can give an armchair psyche eval of ME, from a few posted words, but you can't discern that your "god" is a monster from his ACTIONS?

freeday, you're an idiot.

And I see you haven't yet given your "final answer", as you seek to further claim your "different view" (read: idiotic and brainwashed) makes it impossible for you to view your god as anything but just and wonderful for committing genocide.

Why don't you just honor your OWN words, and let this be your "final answer"? Particularly since you haven't done anything but heap more feces on top of your previous manure pile. :loser:

To Piprus:

Welcome to the forums. And thank you for an INTELLIGENT reply to the OP. That was a refreshing breath of fresh air in comparison to SOME of the other posters around here. It's too bad that the Christians can't field anyone to INTELLIGENTLY argue their side. :wicked:

I'd like to suggest one point of correction to your narrative, however...

So, I suppose the answer to the original post is that god is certainly not "love" in the early OT.

NOW it reads better! :grin:

Thanks, Mr. Grinch,

I was going after John 3:16, I suppose, that mantra for the evangelicals..."For god so loved the world", etc. So the old tribal war demon of the OT is transformed into that "loving" god who becomes a ghost, screws a virgin, gets born as himself so he can sacrifice himself to himself, to slake that old wargod blood-lust that he just can't shake, even though he's omnipotent, and all that.

Great story for a B-grade TV movie, if you can follow it. :Doh:

Come on back, Freeday...

or you mean...

Man didnt ask to be born, but God created him knowing that he's predestined to go to hell. That really wasnt fair. God see's his error so he wiped out the whole human race, except a few, in a flood. Which still isnt fair because it was his mistake. God then realized that his logic was off and the plan didnt work because everyone is still going to hell. He then remembers that he made another flubber. He did all this and "hell" didnt event exist. So he comes up with a new brilliant plan, because he so loves the world.

He now figures to impregnate a teenage girl, who happens to be engaged, with himself. He then tells people that we need this person because now there really is a hell to be worried about. Even though it's really just a valley a couple miles away where we burn bodies. He then let's his son, himself, errrr... whoever, die on the cross, come back to life, then go to heaven to sit at the right hand of himself. He says... "there! everyone is saved! ALL sins are wiped out" But then he says because he loves the world so much, if anybody doesnt believe in his son, who is really him, he's gonna send them to eternal torture. Right now, 4 billion out of the 6 billion people in this world are going to eternal torture. Moreover, his people threaten each other that theyre going to hell because they sin, even though the death on the cross wiped away ALL sins.

Can you just feel the love?!?!

I'm not exactly a veteran at this site, but in reading this thread it seems to me like Grinch originally posed a perfectly legitimate issue:

PROVE to me that “God is Love”. I dare you.

And I have yet to see a well thought out answer from any apologist or other proponent of "the faith" to address that subject.

For my contribution, I would answer with material based on what I read on Dr. Mike Magee's fascinating site, www. askwhy.co.uk. Originally, yahweh was a "baal", a tribal war-demon, who promised protection from enemies and prosperity in return for unswerving devotion to his petulant and nitpicky preferences for worship. Later, when Cyrus I of Persia was seeking to establish a satrap, a buffer state between his empire and that of his mortal enemies, the Greeks, yahweh got elevated to a more prominent position, that is on a par with Ormuzd, the Ahuramazdah, the transcendental creator of all things. This under Ezra and Nehemiah, the Zoroastrian administrators of the Yehud, the created Jewish homeland of Palestine. Descendants of the hebrew caananites were actively recruited to populate this new satrap.

So, I suppose the answer to the original post is that god is certainly not "love" in the early OT. He is instead a one-god protection racket. Then he evolved into a transcendental "creator" god, finally culminating in the syncretic Paulist revolution of incorporating what was once the hebrew baal into the godman concept, another theme that permeated the religions of the middle east. Hence we get good ol' jesus as the iteration of the zoroastrian mithras, the egyptian horus, the assyrian attis, and so on. The concept of "love" quickly fades from the paradigm, unless you accept the Paulist christian model that developed in the late Roman empire, one that was enforced with ruthless persistance.

how could i prove that God loves you, i can't prove God's existence nor can i prove he loves you. you just have to have faith. but if you even believe the first sentence of the bible, why would a higher power create something he didn't care about. when i was in college, i made potery, when i made a particularly good peice, i was very proud of it. i won't say i love it, but you get the point.

by the way, welcome to the site. i think you will fit right in. they accept anyone around here, even a fundy idiot like me.

Thanks, Mr. Grinch,

I was going after John 3:16, I suppose, that mantra for the evangelicals..."For god so loved the world", etc. So the old tribal war demon of the OT is transformed into that "loving" god who becomes a ghost, screws a virgin, gets born as himself so he can sacrifice himself to himself, to slake that old wargod blood-lust that he just can't shake, even though he's omnipotent, and all that.

Great story for a B-grade TV movie, if you can follow it. :Doh:

Come on back, Freeday...

actually they made a great movie about it. if you have faith in Jesus, it really shows you how much he loves us. you may have heard of it, it is the 10th highest grossing movie ever, subject to change, depending on what pirates does.

Amazing. Absolutely amazing. You can give an armchair psyche eval of ME, from a few posted words, but you can't discern that your "god" is a monster from his ACTIONS?

freeday, you're an idiot.

And I see you haven't yet given your "final answer", as you seek to further claim your "different view" (read: idiotic and brainwashed) makes it impossible for you to view your god as anything but just and wonderful for committing genocide.

Why don't you just honor your OWN words, and let this be your "final answer"? Particularly since you haven't done anything but heap more feces on top of your previous manure pile. :loser:

To Piprus:

Welcome to the forums. And thank you for an INTELLIGENT reply to the OP. That was a refreshing breath of fresh air in comparison to SOME of the other posters around here. It's too bad that the Christians can't field anyone to INTELLIGENTLY argue their side. :wicked:

I'd like to suggest one point of correction to your narrative, however...

So, I suppose the answer to the original post is that god is certainly not "love" in the early OT.

NOW it reads better! :grin:

thank you for the kind words, it always brightens my day. :grin:

I think I just threw up in my mouth. :woopsie:

My friend freeday. Great... you responded to them. What about mine? You know me... im relentless :lmao:

Doode!! Now explain to me how it's messed up? All of what i asked for happened today. Blame God. You tell him that it's messed up. Ask him how it shows his love.

and...

or you mean...

Man didnt ask to be born, but God created him knowing that he's predestined to go to hell. That really wasnt fair. God see's his error so he wiped out the whole human race, except a few, in a flood. Which still isnt fair because it was his mistake. God then realized that his logic was off and the plan didnt work because everyone is still going to hell. He then remembers that he made another flubber. He did all this and "hell" didnt event exist. So he comes up with a new brilliant plan, because he so loves the world.

He now figures to impregnate a teenage girl, who happens to be engaged, with himself. He then tells people that we need this person because now there really is a hell to be worried about. Even though it's really just a valley a couple miles away where we burn bodies. He then let's his son, himself, errrr... whoever, die on the cross, come back to life, then go to heaven to sit at the right hand of himself. He says... "there! everyone is saved! ALL sins are wiped out" But then he says because he loves the world so much, if anybody doesnt believe in his son, who is really him, he's gonna send them to eternal torture. Right now, 4 billion out of the 6 billion people in this world are going to eternal torture. Moreover, his people threaten each other that theyre going to hell because they sin, even though the death on the cross wiped away ALL sins.

Can you just feel the love?!?!

Is what i listed in this quote true? Is it a good summary? How does your beliefs sound after reading it in a synopsis?

My fellow Apostates,

freeday is either a spoofer, or legitimately a fundy idiot DELIBERATELY wasting our time. He's done nothing but ignore the substance of our posts and instead spent all his time poking us with a stick, like a child pokes a lion through cage bars. It's time to quit wasting words on him, since all he's doing now is yanking our chains. Or to put it in his OWN vernacular, he/s "pissing in our Kool-Aid™". (Thought I'd forget that insult, didn't you freeday?)

Pay no more attention to freeday. He's loving all this attention that he lacks in real life. One way or another he's not a serious responder.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of My Iggy List, freeday. :Wendywhatever:

Yes Lord Grinch. If it is your will... it shall be done :grin:

Could be. Or maybe, this is the online persona he chose for himself when dealing with christians on message boards, and in real life he's the nicest person ever. Who knows? It's all a mystery on the web...

i look at judgement differently than you. funny enough, the one time where i thought his judgement was excessively bruttal, you guys never even have mentioned it.

Care to elaborate? I guess I missed that post around the various threads, or maybe I simply didn't notice it. What divine judgement do you think it is excessively brutal?

However I can't help but notice that you ignored all of my "He's all powerful, he doesn't need wars, instead of killing sinners he can just chase the sin away from them like jesus did with the person possessed by demons. Why doesn't he do that, and instead resorts to inciting his chosen people to killing or he personally kills enemy people himself?" point. Could you please tell me your thoughts about it? Avoiding the point entirely is what we mean when we talk about Question-dancing.