Goodbye Jesus

I'm Completely Lost...

Guest Perfect Insanity

Guest Perfect Insanity

I have a question, how can you believe yet not believe PI?

Don't know. Like I said, it's a 60/40 thing.

It has a high glycemic index -- it has a good deal of sugar that's readily and rapidly absorbed by the body. It has health benefits too, of course, especially if you pay for hormone-free milk -- but I was a big milk drinker, easily a gallon a day, and it was one of the things I had to go cold turkey on. Your mileage may vary, etc.

I'm not overweight if that's what you're getting at. If anything, I'm underweight. So I could benifit from drinking milk in more ways than one.

Guest Perfect Insanity

I remember posting in this thread weeks ago, I saw this up to 81 pages and I thought to myself, what the fuck? So I proceeded to read some of the more recent posts, basically everyone has bent over backwards to help you, then you pretended to leave after someone told you like it is, and then you came back to debate some more. Now you're playing the emotional trip again about losing your mind and shit. You've already lost it dude, which is why you need to stop talking about religion, get off the computer and go change your life, or just shut the fuck up.

Shut the fuck up. I never "pretended to leave". I DID leave. I came back because I couldn't handle it alone. I'm not playing any emotional trips. I'm speaking my mind and telling the fucking truth. I never came here to debate. I'm not debating. I'm asking honest questions to try to convince MYSELF. Don't you dare tell me to just stop until you've seen what goes on inside my head. It doesn't work like that. I fucking wish it did. You act like I'm some unappreciative attention whore. Bullshit. From the very beginning, I clearly stated that if anyone wants me to shut up and leave, I will. Simple as that. Now that you've said it, I'll do as you wish.

Somebody lock this thread. I'm gone for good.

• 3 weeks later...

How can something that doesn't exist yet come from nowhere and then start the evolutionary train going? There's no way it happened like that.

I guess what confuses me is that I have a pretty good idea about how things happen. Basic chemistry is no mystery, and chemical reactions are all around us. Even right now in our bodies.

Once you have matter, anything possible is - possible, and so everything from the formation of amino acids (also found on meteorites), carbon binding with oxygen (CO2), carbon binding with hydrogen (e.g. methane CH4), and the ball starts rolling. Maybe you should consider taking some organic chemistry and biochemistry.

The "something from nothing" only refers to the creation of mass perhaps 10 billion years before evolution began, but evidence for any creation is really shaky... Still, the "vacuum decay" or "vacuum quantum fluctuation" theories make more sense than a giant Santa Claus that "sees you when you're sleeping". Or uses his magical spying powers to make us good while threatening us. Well, for me, that's someone else's mythology. I may not have all the answers, but given 5 possibilities, two of which we are not aware of, and one possible god, I'll take any of the above except gods. Why add another layer on top of nature?

Maybe you might seriously consider going into astrophysics and/or cosmology. Sometimes seeking answers leads us to new places on our journey through life.

In that case, show me how matter could have come about by itself. Then, and only then, will I consider it a possibility.

Umm, converted from energy?

Remember that at the quantum level the ordinary laws of physics go out the window (hence quantum mechanics). Who knows what happens when you have enough energy. Just as smoke is the detritus of fire, perhaps matter is the detritus of incalculable energy.

I know, I know, where did the energy come from. Well, I'd accept the Energizer Bunny before I'd accept some imaginary do-all invisibile friend.

In that case, show me how matter could have come about by itself. Then, and only then, will I consider it a possibility.

But you'll consider the possibility of a 'god' that came about by itself?

I mean... at least you can SEE matter. You can't even prove that 'god' is here right now.

I know, I know, where did the energy come from. Well, I'd accept the Energizer Bunny before I'd accept some imaginary do-all invisibile friend.

Sometimes it strikes me as strange that we humans get so caught up in what came first.

"Logical deduction" of human populations and families led our ancestors to conclude that before there were a lot of people, there were a few people, and before that only 2 people. Let's call the Adam and Eve. There are a lot of assumptions in this that go unspoken, and in particular the "fixity of the species." It wasn't until we realized that species can change over time that we realized that it wasn't two people, it was a few pre-people, and it goes back to the first cell - and before.

Likewise, with an expanding universe, it seems logical to assume that if we reverse the motion (as they did with human population growth), we will arrive at a point where there will be a single point of mass. It makes sense until you understand that - well, that thing we have yet to imagine that's kind of like evolution except related to the expansion of the universe.

Maybe expansion is a property of space. It just does because that's what vacuums do when they are really big, or something like that. And that creates energy. And that creates mass. And it's maybe always been like that.

I think the "fossil" clues are out there, but they are kind of hard to appreciate for what they mean. Right now, the black holes, weird galaxies, nebulae and dark stuff seem like weird anomalies, but I think it's telling us a story, like the story of the fossils, but we just haven't quite got what they mean.

I'd like to have all the answers, but I'll settle for knowing that someone is still looking.

Guest Perfect Insanity

So you'd accept the Energizer Bunny being real before you would ever accept that there might be a Creator of the universe? I find that hard to believe.

But you'll consider the possibility of a 'god' that came about by itself?

I mean... at least you can SEE matter. You can't even prove that 'god' is here right now.

Adding more questions doesn't answer the one I had.

Sometimes it strikes me as strange that we humans get so caught up in what came first.

"Logical deduction" of human populations and families led our ancestors to conclude that before there were a lot of people, there were a few people, and before that only 2 people. Let's call the Adam and Eve. There are a lot of assumptions in this that go unspoken, and in particular the "fixity of the species." It wasn't until we realized that species can change over time that we realized that it wasn't two people, it was a few pre-people, and it goes back to the first cell - and before.

Likewise, with an expanding universe, it seems logical to assume that if we reverse the motion (as they did with human population growth), we will arrive at a point where there will be a single point of mass. It makes sense until you understand that - well, that thing we have yet to imagine that's kind of like evolution except related to the expansion of the universe.

Maybe expansion is a property of space. It just does because that's what vacuums do when they are really big, or something like that. And that creates energy. And that creates mass. And it's maybe always been like that.

I think the "fossil" clues are out there, but they are kind of hard to appreciate for what they mean. Right now, the black holes, weird galaxies, nebulae and dark stuff seem like weird anomalies, but I think it's telling us a story, like the story of the fossils, but we just haven't quite got what they mean.

I'd like to have all the answers, but I'll settle for knowing that someone is still looking.

I'm not caught up necessarily in what came first, but that something came first, and how that something came about.

Being alone is pretty ok, despite what the Bible has to say about it. Justyna sounds just fine in her singledom.

Phanta

Being alone is pretty ok, despite what the Bible has to say about it. Justyna sounds just fine in her singledom.

Phanta

That was very nice.

Everyone is alone sometimes, and sometimes it feels like forever.

I've done just about everything in that video. Well, everything! And I'm not alone if I'm typing words that others will read, even if I can't see them.

Phanta

That was very nice.

Everyone is alone sometimes, and sometimes it feels like forever.

I've done just about everything in that video. Well, everything! And I'm not alone if I'm typing words that others will read, even if I can't see them.

Me too, Shy. And I've had some really beautiful romances. I suppose if I ever had one last for years and years, I would still, at some point, touch back into the comfort of aloneness from time to time.

Phanta

Why the heck did I post this here? I think I posted in the wrong thread.

*chuckle*