Goodbye Jesus

Personal Definition of God

Amanda

It just seems to me that we all talk about accepting God, rejecting God, and we don't really have a clear understanding of what God is! We're passionate about it though!

Yes. That's because God is a very broad idea. As soon as we equate God with a 'defined' god as in Jesus or Allah, we really know what we're talking about.

It's like defining life. Life has no definition to this day.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• willybilly30

• Ouroboros

• Ssel

• Fweethawt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

daniel, "Good" is NOT a definition of anything. It is a description.

Sex is good. Is god sex?

Yes, if it is God.

So, God is sex IF sex is God?

Thanks for clearing that up daniel. I'm sure none of us had ever considered the a=b if a=b equation before. :loser:

106228[/snapback]

Actually, it's "b=a, if a=b," the Symmetric Property of Equivalence Relations

Personally, I don't know 'God'.

106278[/snapback]

:grin: Hi HOH!

Well, so far... you're probably the most realistic person! We all may have an idea, but we don't know!

I like thinking that all things are parts, expressions of God. It kind of gives a reverence to holding something sacred in all things in the world. Still, even that and the concepts of these many Spiritual teachers... no one knows, do they?

There are people that I think came very close though. To name just a few... Buddha, Edgar Casey, and Jesus who had come the closest, IMHO, FWIW. It's like they were able to tap into something that gave them insights that transcended normal physical abilities of their times. :shrug:

Still, even that and the concepts of these many Spiritual teachers... no one knows, do they?
Some think they know...

I like thinking that all things are parts, expressions of God. It kind of gives a reverence to holding something sacred in all things in the world.

I can equate with that. If there's a God, then indeed all things are part of Him somehow. That is, if there's a monotheitic idea of God.

There are people that I think came very close though. To name just a few... Buddha, Edgar Casey, and Jesus who had come the closest, IMHO, FWIW. It's like they were able to tap into something that gave them insights that transcended normal physical abilities of their times.

Who's this Edgar person? Yeah, Jesus and The Buddha are indeed some of those 'visionaries' but there are many more who exelled at some points and failed at others.

Who's this Edgar person?

106287[/snapback]

Hero of Hyrule, Edgar Cayce, as I understand, was just a regular guy who was so good, he was asked by God or an angel what it was, in the whole world, he wanted. He responded, to be able to help people. He was given a special talent to help people as a psychic. He helped heal people and answered difficult questions from all over... and never took any money for this! Although he never attended college, he was considered amongst the many scholars of his day. More info can be found here:

http://www.are-cayce.com/Edgar-Cayce.html

There was another guy I read the book about, Yogamanda, that was pretty impressive to me also... yet not like Casey. He brings all these Spiritual teachings together, although he was a yogi... he still considered Christ at the apex of regards. A little of him found here:

http://www.yogananda-srf.org/

Ok, you asked:

God: doesn't exist, except as something akin to the Tao or the Force, but not as the sentient little troublemaker that Christians buy into.

gods: a sort of an interface, a way of making certain parts of reality easier to understand and interact with. Kind of people's take on their own understanding of reality.

Intresting people!

You know, you remind me very much of my downstairs neighbor in spirituality. :grin:

Now, I know that means nothing to you but still. :)

Godly

Obediance

Defeciency

Is that what G.O.D. means?

To some people, anal sex is good...

I guess God is also anal sex.

:lmao:

i hear ex-communication coming to the all omnipotent and wonderful xtian god XD

Disclaimer: GoD is a Guardian of Demons

Godly

Obediance

Defeciency

Is that what G.O.D. means?

106316[/snapback]

Nah

Go

Out

Dancing

As I watched the documentary, it was a very thought provoking question for myself. I'm very curious as to what your interpretation of "God" may be, and if you accept it or reject it?  :thanks:

106201[/snapback]

Hi Amanda,

Joseph Campbell is someone who I admire and wish he were still alive to perhaps talk with him. There is a major part of me that wishes to be as comfortable with his acceptance of myth systems as myth systems, yet can embrace them with great enthusiasm. If anything is a mystery to me, it is that. He was a highly intellectual man who was fully aware they were myths, but loved them and practiced them!

To answer your question what my interpretation of "God" is? Probably what God always was for me: The face of the awesome glory of existence, the representation of the power and mystery of life, the incomprehensible splendor of the infinite wonder of the cosmos; the ultimate answer; the ultimate source of love, for me personally and all of life. I saw "God" in all that. Then theology came along...

Now I see "God" as a political weapon; a tainted word that carries with it everything I see negative in the world of self-righteous, bible banging, suicide bombing fundamentalists the world over of all religions. :angry:

Godly

Ordinance ("Christian Rite")

Debauchery ("Sensual Pleasure")

"Virgin mary!"

Note- I didnt use Ordinance correctly, its a noun not an adj, my bad :P

-Further Correction, debauchery is also a noun. lol

So basically, if I think hot dogs are good, then hot dogs are God? (Since God is good)

Using the same analogy, chocolate is god! Or goddess, rather! Repent and join the chocolate cult today! :HaHa:

Seriously, god is a reflection of what human beings WANT the divine to be like, irrespective of whether or not anything divine actually exists. Want god to be a homophobic, racist bastard? Okay, god is a homophobic, racist bastard. Want god to be a caring, peaceful lovey dovey sort? Okay, that's what god is. Want god to be a woman with a magic wand? Okay, that's what god is. Want god to be a chubby guy who sits under trees and thinks about nothing a lot? Okay. Want him to go and strike down your enemies with a lightning bolt? Okay. Want god to be an evil jerk? Okay. Want him to be a good guy who goes around saving the world? Okay.

I mean, really, the answer is so glaringly obvious. God is whatever humans define god to be, not undefinable because we define it. And there is still no evidence that god actually exists, or even that it wants us to worship it, or be a member of one particular cult over another. I'm still waiting for the proof of existence.

i tried too hard on that definition, but heres one that just came up in my mind.

God

Or

Damnation

-_-

the G can't = God

I guess that would be a shining example of circularity.

So it could be

Grace

Or

Damnation

What about the (how's this go?) the dyslexic insomniac atheist agonistic? He stayed up all night pondering the existance of dog?

I think:

God is everything that exists

God is mother earth who all life on it came from

God is the water we drink

God is the air we breathe

God is the universe and all that exists in it

God is not a human, not an animal or plant

But is the human, animals and plant.

The spirit with in all things that exist.

God has no name, no image, no religion, no holy book, no form

God created everything how it wanted it too be making religion unnecessary

I seen a post were someone said they were God well you are correct

Everyone is God

God is not just good or just evil gods the creators of life and death it will bring you in this world and take you out of it.

God is energy and your thoughts on whom or what god is molds the energy into that image

And your personality will come threw it and you’ll have your own version of god

However, that does not make it god but it is a part of god anyway.

God don’t care what you believe or it would reveal what it wanted you to think

God don’t need an image, belief or worship or it would require it

You are what god wanted you too be it would not create what it did not want.

Before anyone asks me to prove this, I will honestly say I cannot

These are my ideas and I do not claim them as fact

However, if god exists I believe it is what we see, hear, taste and smell and what we don’t see, hear, taste and smell.

I cannot prove it. Who knows this maybe complete bullshit

Sorry I didn’t mean too

Dude, you contradicted yourself like 800 times.

106353[/snapback]

Sorry I didn’t mean too

Not necessary to apologize, willy. You just need to recognize that when you equate God with everything, the term God becomes meaningless.

To answer your question what my interpretation of "God" is?  Probably what God always was for me: The face of the awesome glory of existence, the representation of the power and mystery of life, the incomprehensible splendor of the infinite wonder of the cosmos; the ultimate answer; the ultimate source of love, for me personally and all of life.  I saw "God" in all that.  Then theology came along... 

Now I see "God" as a political weapon; a tainted word that carries with it everything I see negative in the world of self-righteous, bible banging, suicide bombing fundamentalists the world over of all religions. :angry:

106326[/snapback]

Wow, Antlerman, I like your idea of God! I think Joseph Campbell said something like that too. Why did you go along with allowing others to pervert such an enthusiastic view to life? It seems to me, they can do that with religion, yet not to God. :shrug:

What should I call it then? It does not have a name.

Maybe I should not use god though.

Using that term might make people think I mean bible-god

Sorry I didn’t mean too

Not necessary to apologize, willy. You just need to recognize that when you equate God with everything, the term God becomes meaningless.

106356[/snapback]

Wow, Antlerman, I like your idea of God! I think Joseph Campbell said something like that too. Why did you go along with allowing others to pervert such an enthusiastic view to life? It seems to me, they can do that with religion, yet not to God.  :shrug:

106361[/snapback]

Because I wanted to know him. I wanted to understand who he was, what he was. I wanted to know him. Apparently however, that put me in a prime position to be preyed upon by the fundamentalist who has all the answers. Gobbled it all up I did, but was forced to spit it all out once I realized it was all a fraud. I know there is good it in, but you know...

106350[/snapback]

Willy Billy, fwiw, I agree with you!!! :woohoo:

And I do not think that if God is everything, it does not retain great meaning. On the contrary, it retains the most important meaning! Just because I am made of individual parts, does not make my whole body meaningless.

Well, I'm sure people might debate me on 'that one'... but let's say I used another body as an example. :HaHa:

I believe God is good.

106204[/snapback]

so if god says its good to burn a bunch of ppl cause hes says it good to do so, its also good.

meinkapmpmifurfergotmittuns!

What should I call it then? It does not have a name.

Maybe I should not use god though.

Using that term might make people think I mean bible-god

106364[/snapback]

I think you're becoming a Taoist. :grin:

Taoism is older than Christianity, and Lao-tzu recognized the same thing. You can't name it. That's the first chapter of Tao Te Ching.

Here's part of it:

The tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.

The name that can be named is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.

Naming is the origin of all particular things.

(my apologies if it's a bad translation)

Basically, when you give the mystery of life, existence and everything a name, you immediately have lost the meaning of it. When you give everything a name, you have started to give it a definition, and with it you will start excluding things, and only including some, and eventually you will end up with something that is not everything anymore.