Goodbye Jesus

Personal Definition of God

Amanda

I agree theirs no way to prove it.

Is it a sin to have an idea what god might be if theirs even a god?

But if theirs a god wouldn’t it be the universe?

I see no other thing god could be

I know where you're coming from, but there's no possible way to prove the claim.

106615[/snapback]

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• willybilly30

• Ouroboros

• Ssel

• Fweethawt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isn't 'sin' a Christian concept?

I should have said is it wrong?

106622[/snapback]

anybody up for burying the hatchet?

Im afraid im going to piss everyone off and get banned and hated by all

If I am not already

I'm not sure where you are coming from willy. Are you meaning something along the lines of Proclus' Deimurge (the creator who creates eternally)?

Asimov, it should not make god meaningless, just that it can be substituted if it is indeed equivalent. Also, the English language is not as perfect in it's clarity of assignment and equality, as the construct A is B is also used for metaphor, where there is an implicit inequality, though term A can be better understood via term B.

I know, it is a linguistic vagueness, but I somehow doubt that someone was using a strictly logical (some would call pedantic) form of English.

It is also my view of a god-concept (well deity, or something like that), that it permeates everything, not that it is the universe, but is tied to it, especially the underpinnings such as causality, etc. At least in theory.

In practice, I tend to agree with nivek's pannist philosophy: "Whatever pans out..."

Tell me Asimov, would you rather be lucky or good?

I really need to go to bed

Ill discuss this tomorrow

Please do not ban me I really like this forum

goodnight

106622[/snapback]

I should have said is it wrong?

106624[/snapback]

There ya go! :phew:

Willy, it's only wrong if you hate, kill, and teach your concept to children even though it can't be proven. Then, it is "sin'. Then, it is "wrong".

goodnight

You're not going to get banned. Relax.

Good night. :thanks:

I think god is the universe trees included.

If you define God as "trees" though, then god does exist.  See?

106605[/snapback]

106617[/snapback]

What Cerise said is exactly the problem that Bruce brought up in his debate with Ssel:

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showtopic=4712&st=0

It's merely a "semantical game", and while willybilly lacks the know-how to syllogistically put forth his idea of God, it is precisely what Ssel was arguing, and yet failed to logically identify.

What do you mean?

The last question is more of an off topic, semi-random question, but it is related to a saying.

Would you rather get lucky [at something] or be good [at something]? It's the kind of question that tends to tell things about people.

But aren't you also saying:

Tree=geometry

Sex=geometry

Gucci handbag=geometry

Jerry Fallwell=geometry

barf=geometry

Everything is geometry, no?

106475[/snapback]

Hello Mike!

No, I don't think so. No more than scientist have found everything to be geometry! I was just trying to simplify a concept. However...

Geometry is under mathematics.

Mathematics is under sciences.

Science is under disciplines.

Disciplines are an attribute of Man

Man is under animals.

Animals are under living organisms.

We have living and nonliving, which I believe...

have no name that the two are under…

It is my belief, to be "God".

That would make God no less meaningful than Geometry, Mathematics, Science, Disciplines, Man, Animals, Living, or Nonliving,

and to me only MORE meaningful!

It is, to me, meaningful, in regards to finding something that is to be held sacred in everything. Perhaps a mentality that finds everything in nature deserves respect.

There is a new concept, for me, that has come up in these discussions, by HanSolo, that says to name it causes it to lose its meaning. Wow! It sounds like THAT could mean something... but it is too deep for me. I will research that today. I thik HanSolo said it is Tao. Does anyone understand that concept? :twitch:

(quote=Amanda,Nov 13 2005, 07:25 PM)

:grin: Hello Quicksand!

Sorry, I don't know how to post two different peoples quotes in one post. I was agreeing with Willy Billy, about God being everything, not everything is god but part of God. If I understood him right.

Hey No Problem Amanda....

Um, Amanda, that makes no sense whatsoever. Something is either a part of something or it is not a part of something. Something is either everything, or it is not everything.

You can't split hairs.

Eve may have wondered, when Satan told her she would *surely not die* as God said they *would die* if she ate...  Eve had never experienced, or seen death.  She could not comprehend it.  How could she?  Nothing in the garden had EVER died... and yet God, is saying that if she ate of it... she would actually DIE?  How can a God that is going to let me die, be good?  Surely... God is good... you're right Satan, I won't die if I eat this... God wouldn't let me die.  I can't fathom death, it must be horrible.

106480[/snapback]

Daniel, respectfully, it isn't fair that you don't listen to anyone. You come into a debating forum, and you do not engage in discussion! :ugh: I know you probably don't know what we are talking about when we keep telling you this! Obviously, or you wouldn't continue to do it! You have to realize at some point you are not God! You can only have an opinion, and until I personally see you walk on water, that is all it is, AN OPINION, to me and everyone else here!

We understand that you like us, and I like you too! It is just that people really resent intolerance, condemnation, and an attitude that finds they are superior to others! Could you please change that? IF you can discuss, definition found here: http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/discuss , fine. I believe in Christ too, my friend. I have studied the Bible, as many people here! I tell you Daniel, the people here seem to have studied the Bible more than our buddies in church! I'm telling you, if you engage in conversation here, respond with logic... not using Bible verses... but interpret the meaning by personal reasoning to you, and just post that... without the verses, so that Truth can help you really understand what the scripture really means! Use your brain, reason, that is what Jesus did!!!

Now, please listen when I respond to your posts. Please show a sign that you have understood what I've said, agree or not, and post a reason why. Do NOT use scripture for once, give us your personal reasoning you have come to understand! FIRST, you can NOT just avoid what you don't want to hear. That is NOT a discussion. If you are doing this in real life, you are going to have significant problems! We only say this, because we are really trying to help you too!

According to you, you say Adam and Eve died. But then you say, no they don't die... they live in eternal torment in the fires of hell. Which is it? You can't have it both ways! And, do you think there really was a real snake/serpent that told them this? Do you think the fruit was an apple? So you think a guy 6,000 years ago is the first guy to physically die? Or do you think it is spiritual death? I'm telling you, the Bible is far deeper than you give it credit! C'mon Daniel... answer some of these questions and quit claiming blind faith. Jesus came so that we may see, not to be blinded by darkness! Daniel, I hate to have to be so blunt, but I've tried everything else... *sigh*

Asimov, it is not fair to represent it as A=B

Amanda, your analogy is false once again.

Allow me to explain:

You equate God (B ) with the Universe (A - what you called Everything). This is your fallacy of Equivocation.

106557[/snapback]

Asimov, I apologize for miscommunicating.

I am not saying that everything is God! I am saying, it is my opinion, everything is part of "God"... in a subset, of God being the apex of the nomenclature... that's all.

If I am not already

106625[/snapback]

Willy Billy... NO ONE IS MAD AT YOU!

Don't take this personally!

Feel free to say whatever you believe!

Refuse to be intimidated into changing your mind.

If you sincerely sense there is reason to change your mind, fine.

If not, don't.

I don't think one single person on here,

or in the world,

agrees entirely with one another!

That is what makes life interesting, IMO. :wicked:

If I am not already

106625[/snapback]

Damn, dude. Take a pill.

This ain't the local Baptist Church. You are allowed to think here. If you have a goofy thought here, somebody's bound to bring it to your attention, but you're not gonna get excommunicated.

Nobody's got the slightest notion of banning you, man. You're fine.

Daniel's still here. What does that tell ya?

Responding to the Original Post:

Gaming

Operations

Director

Yeah, I'm a roleplaying geek. Fucking sue me.

"God does not play dice with the universe." ~ Albert Einstein

"That's right, bitch! I play dice with the universe." ~ Jose Valdes

I was watching a documentary on Joseph Campbell the other day. . . .

As I watched the documentary, it was a very thought provoking question for myself. I'm very curious as to what your interpretation of "God" may be, and if you accept it or reject it?  :thanks:

106201[/snapback]

The term "God" is too open-ended to be clearly defined by all. To Christians, God is BibleGod, but to others god is something else.

God can be your invisible companion that talks to you and blesses you with a raise you had coming, or makes your car go that extra few miles when the gas gauge is on "E". He (or she) is there for you because you choose to believe he is there for you. If you choose NOT to believe he is there for you, then he magically WON'T be there for you.

God can be the reason things happened when we don't fully understand why it happened. Even when evidence suggest a realistic explanation, you can still choose to believe that "God did it" and have it settled in your mind. God is the easy way out, not requiring any study or work to figure things out.

The human mind is EXTREMELY powerful and capable of creating God in whatever form it wishes. Everything that we know of CAN be explained without the need of a god-- but if you don't like the explanation then you can say it was god.

Personally, I do not know if there is a god, but I KNOW that God of the Bible does not exist, AND I KNOW that as a Christian it was impossible for me to comprehend such a position. I have no fear of whatever god there may be, nor of hell or heaven. To me God may exist, but if she does, she sure isn't giving us much in the way of clues.

I thought I had already uttered what I do understand as 'god', but I couldn't find it anymore. I see as god 'depth' in science, sense of 'wonder', the 'mysterious' part of life, etcetera. I consider myself spiritual while not believing in the supernatural.

But if theirs a god wouldn’t it be the universe? I see no other thing god could be

106613[/snapback]

That's is called Pantheism, that everything is God.

You and I, we have no war. My hatchet has been on the shelf since you came to our site.

So far, you have not pissed me off, and I'm a moderator and have the power to ban you, but I have no intentions to ban you what so ever. And I don't hate you.

So relax.

If I am not already

106625[/snapback]

No you're not.

Remember, it's a huge mix of people on the site, and everyone is different. Don't make a broad assumption that everyone is one way or the other way.

Me for instance, I have no problems with you believing in a patheistic god.

I really need to go to bed

Ill discuss this tomorrow

goodnight

106628[/snapback]

I promise you, we have no intentions of banning you. As long as you behave, which I think you have.

There is a new concept, for me, that has come up in these discussions, by HanSolo, that says to name it causes it to lose its meaning. Wow! It sounds like THAT could mean something... but it is too deep for me. I will research that today. I thik HanSolo said it is Tao. Does anyone understand that concept?  :twitch:

106736[/snapback]

Oh. I saw my name. That means of course that I have to get involved. :)

See if I can explain it.

Let's say, for arguments sake, that God did exist.

And let's say that God is so incredible big and beyond our comprehension. He is bigger than life, bigger than the universe and time.

If we start giving God a name like "he is Love", we have immediately limited what God is. Maybe he isn't? Or Maybe he is and he's also evil? If he's everything, should he be good and evil at the same time?

That's what happens as soon as you start defining, and describing something that we don't even know what it is. We are limiting what it is.

And what Tao says, is that you are making these limitations already when you are giving it a name, like "God". Because you immediately start thinking what "God" means, which you can't, since he's beyond what we can understand.

To wonder, "well, how can a God that is good send people to hell," is a question many ask... but then men that say, "God surely did not say we would die," will die because God surely did say, and to think that He did not... is a lie from Satan.

I don't want you, Amanda, or anyone else to end up in a place they don't want to.  So, I must confirm what Jesus confirmed.  Hell is real, and many will go there.  Whether you can fathom an eternal residence or not... doesn't matter.  Eve could not fathom death, and yet death is so common place with us now that we have seen.  Who can fathom eternity?  Who can fathom the eternal residence and power of an all knowing all seeing God?  Not I... but if His Word has said, eat and you will die... I believe Him, even though I can't fathom it.  Jesus died to save men from the judgment that would pend death, and that is what we preach.

106480[/snapback]

Daniel, you never really answered the question - you just interpreted the Bible to your own satisfaction and suggested to Amanda and others that they may go to hell.

Please just answer the question - without throwing Bible verses and Bible stories around.

How can a God that is good send people to hell?

Keep some things in mind while you search for an answer.

1. Many, many Christians do not believe there is a hell. And those of us who feel differently than you could throw our own Bible verses and interpretations around. Playing "I know the Bible better than you" will get no one anywhere. In the end none of it can be proven one way or the other. You believe what you believe for deeper reasons than the "Bible said so". Or at least I hope you do, I hope you've thought about this in your own soul.

2. Also, Jesus said he was the Alpa and Omega. If "good" is the Alpha and the Omega then where in all of the good from beginning to end is there room for a place of torture and pain?

Please respond from your heart. Jesus did not promise His disciples a Bible to be canonized 100s of years after his death - he promised His disciples a Counselor, the Holy Spirit to reside within them. To guide them from within their own soul. So, search your soul Daniel and just answer the question.

How can a God that is good send people to hell?....

Im not sure what that is.

I'm not sure where you are coming from willy.  Are you meaning something along the lines of Proclus' Deimurge (the creator who creates eternally)? 

Asimov, it should not make god meaningless, just that it can be substituted if it is indeed equivalent.  Also, the English language is not as perfect in it's clarity of assignment and equality, as the construct A is B is also used for metaphor, where there is an implicit inequality, though term A can be better understood via term B. 

I know, it is a linguistic vagueness, but I somehow doubt that someone was using a strictly logical (some would call pedantic) form of English.

It is also my view of a god-concept (well deity, or something like that), that it permeates everything, not that it is the universe, but is tied to it, especially the underpinnings such as causality, etc.  At least in theory.

In practice, I tend to agree with nivek's pannist philosophy: "Whatever pans out..."

106627[/snapback]