Goodbye Jesus

Matthew 7, V. 7-12.....ask, Seek, Knock

Guest end3

Guest end3

Mat 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Mat 7:8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

Mat 7:9 "Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?

Mat 7:10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?

Mat 7:11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Mat 7:12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Re-reading this the other day and it seems that "finding the door open" seems more a function of what we do rather than what we expect God to do.

The reason I bring this here is I have heard so many say God is absent in their lives despite their requests.....which I don't discount, but seems like these verses really don't describe that line of thinking.

Thoughts?

Those verses were part of my foundation for my faith. I believed strongly that God (Father) would always be there to ensure that things wouldn't be completely fucked up in life. I accepted that he would give me challenges, but never that he would completely allowed my life and my family's life to be completely cluster-fucked for years... (and it hasn't stopped, and won't stop). I knocked for years... Years!. Not seconds. Not days, but years. And is still hasn't changed. Nothing changed to the better. It did however keep on changing to the worse... and still is. I know what is ahead of us, and it's more pain, suffering, and eventually death. I'm been in Hell and back, and back again, and again. I know how to live in constant Hell. So if God wants me to know he exists and can fix it, then the million prayers I did over the years should have given him the hint. But the Bible says "God knows best", so it really doesn't matter what we pray for. God does whatever God wants anyway.

Guest end3

Those verses were part of my foundation for my faith. I believed strongly that God (Father) would always be there to ensure that things wouldn't be completely fucked up in life. I accepted that he would give me challenges, but never that he would completely allowed my life and my family's life to be completely cluster-fucked for years... (and it hasn't stopped, and won't stop).

If you would have asked me a few years ago, I would have opted for an interpretation that God was responsible.

Oh my goodness. Holy shit.

End, man, uh..... Next thing you know you'll start asking, "why?" and you'll see there are many answers, and you'll start connecting the dots, and your understanding will grow immensely, and then...

... you will die.

Too bad.

Guest end3

... you will die.

Too bad.

Damn it. I am just getting warmed up, although at the same time I have a feeling that I need to hurry.

... you will die.

Too bad.

Damn it.

Yes indeed. The perennial cry of man.

I am just getting warmed up,

Me too.

although at the same time I have a feeling that I need to hurry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFerLNdpwO4

Mat 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Mat 7:8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

Mat 7:11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Mat 7:12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Re-reading this the other day and it seems that "finding the door open" seems more a function of what we do rather than what we expect God to do.

The reason I bring this here is I have heard so many say God is absent in their lives despite their requests.....which I don't discount, but seems like these verses really don't describe that line of thinking.

Thoughts?

Mat 7:7 Nice bit of poetry - but what does it really mean. Why is it necessarily from the creator of the universe and not just partially-enlightened men from the Iron Age?

Mat 7:8 In what sense have these things been fulfilled for you? A bold and foolish claim if you ask me.

Mat 7:9 I would never give my son a stone to eat. Social Services would have me locked up.

Mat 7:10 More child abuse.

Mat 7:11 The God of the Bible is far more evil than I could ever imagine myself being. At least I haven't condoned genocide or the murder of gay people. I haven't insisted that a rape victim marries her rapist (the worst advice ever written) or believe that people deserve eternal torture for the finite "crime" of not being a sycophant to an idea.

Mat 7:12 The Bible didn't invent the Golden Rule and doesn't have a monopoly on it by any stretch of the imagination.

Matthew (or whoever wrote Matthew) was just a political spin-doctor of his day. "As it is written ... I'm justifying this to the Jews ... As it is written...A dramatic earthquake happened ... Blah Blah Blah"

As a summary - A few sparkling diamonds on a massive pile of dung, that is bigger than King Kong's first dump of the day.

As a summary - A few sparkling diamonds on a massive pile of dung, that is bigger than King Kong's first dump of the day.

I confess that I skipped to the summary. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

woohoo.gifhappydance.gifWendymagic.gif

• Like 1

Those verses were part of my foundation for my faith. I believed strongly that God (Father) would always be there to ensure that things wouldn't be completely fucked up in life. I accepted that he would give me challenges, but never that he would completely allowed my life and my family's life to be completely cluster-fucked for years... (and it hasn't stopped, and won't stop). I knocked for years... Years!. Not seconds. Not days, but years. And is still hasn't changed. Nothing changed to the better. It did however keep on changing to the worse... and still is. I know what is ahead of us, and it's more pain, suffering, and eventually death. I'm been in Hell and back, and back again, and again. I know how to live in constant Hell. So if God wants me to know he exists and can fix it, then the million prayers I did over the years should have given him the hint. But the Bible says "God knows best", so it really doesn't matter what we pray for. God does whatever God wants anyway.

Ditto for me too Ouroboros. I relate to your story so well.

My dear friend end....... I can't believe you..... you who know our stories so well on the board, would post this terrible subject. I know you have the right to. If it was one of those christians who come around every now and again to torture us - I would expect that. But not from you. I am so disappointed with you my dear friend. It's like you never really did get to know us and our pain........wink.png

Guest end3

Ditto for me too Ouroboros. I relate to your story so well.

My dear friend end....... I can't believe you..... you who know our stories so well on the board, would post this terrible subject. I know you have the right to. If it was one of those christians who come around every now and again to torture us - I would expect that. But not from you. I am so disappointed with you my dear friend. It's like you never really did get to know us and our pain........wink.png

My line of thinking.....and I know Han's story as well as some others, was that many here are now advocates for self-responsibility. With that in mind, I think this passage expresses this notion specifically with regard to the difference between a fundamental law approach and the transition to an inborn, grace-filled love. You see what I mean? In summary, I don't see the transition as a catalyst for disbelief, but for added faith.

I have my bad days Margee, and I realize that, but those that I truely trust, I rarely intentionally hurt. So it wasn't meant to hurt, just trying to ask why is this not more of an enlighted understanding within Christianity rather than what is preached.

Guest end3

Thoughts?

Mat 7:7 Nice bit of poetry - but what does it really mean. Why is it necessarily from the creator of the universe and not just partially-enlightened men from the Iron Age?

Mat 7:8 In what sense have these things been fulfilled for you? A bold and foolish claim if you ask me.

Mat 7:9 I would never give my son a stone to eat. Social Services would have me locked up.

Mat 7:11 The God of the Bible is far more evil than I could ever imagine myself being. At least I haven't condoned genocide or the murder of gay people. I haven't insisted that a rape victim marries her rapist (the worst advice ever written) or believe that people deserve eternal torture for the finite "crime" of not being a sycophant to an idea.

Mat 7:12 The Bible didn't invent the Golden Rule and doesn't have a monopoly on it by any stretch of the imagination.

Matthew (or whoever wrote Matthew) was just a political spin-doctor of his day. "As it is written ... I'm justifying this to the Jews ... As it is written...A dramatic earthquake happened ... Blah Blah Blah"

Your pool doesn't have a deep end, does it.

Thoughts?

End, I don't know you or what you are trying to do with this. So here is my response:

I have knocked until my knuckles bled. Then I switched hands and knocked with my left until my flesh fell of my knuckle bones.

I have asked, begged, pleaded, fasted, fasted some more, and the phone is still dead.

I have received the odd stone instead of bread; the rest of the time: nothing. Same for snakes instead of fish.

I give better gifts to strangers and my dogs than God gives to me.

The only decent verse of your list is the golden rule, which is not exclusive to Christianity.

The thing I've learned is from Lord of the Rings: "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." Words to live by!

• Like 1

transition to an inborn, grace-filled love.

Why not skip to this?

"The Buddha taught that to realize enlightenment, a person must develop two qualities: wisdom and compassion. Wisdom and compassion are sometimes compared to two wings that work together to enable flying, or two eyes that work together to see deeply." - Barbara O'brian

And on the seventh day, God got a groove on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TZbnhKEUX4

Thoughts?

I don't have a pool. Another assumption on your part. I do have hidden depths though. Maybe it's you who is shallow End?

Guest end3

transition to an inborn, grace-filled love.

Why not skip to this?

Who doesn't want to do that L? What about those whose environment takes that which I believe is innate and foobarrs that via environment? Christianity seems more now a mechanism for returning to...

Guest end3

Thoughts?

I don't have a pool. Another assumption on your part. I do have hidden depths though. Maybe it's you who is shallow End?

If you would like to discuss, I would appreciate that. I found you calling my beliefs a pile of King Kong shit offensive. I'm a master at offensive if we need to go there, but I prefer not. Thanks,

End you speak of environment. Would you care to describe your current environment to me? Seriously. Like...

What kind of computer are you using? 78.gif

Are inside or outside? Can you briefly describe it? Wendyshrug.gif

What are you wearing? GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

And does your famliy know you are speaking with heathens? lmao_99.gif

Thoughts?

If you would like to discuss, I would appreciate that. I found you calling my beliefs a pile of King Kong shit offensive. I'm a master at offensive if we need to go there, but I prefer not. Thanks,

It's the Lion's Den on an ex-Christian site! What do you really expect? Me likening some of the Bible to King Kong's first dump of the day is about the worst you will receive from me on this site. Christianity on the other hand has caused untold actual mental and physical anguish in it's nearly 2000 year reign. Humanism has done more to alleviate human misery in the last 50 years than Xianity has managed in 2000. And I'm not threatening you with eternal hellfire and damnation which the Bible does. So don't get on your over-sensitive moral high horse just because I like to take the piss. Look at the deeply harmful philosophy that's in the Bible, ingrained in almost every page.

• Like 1

Guest end3

It's the Lion's Den on an ex-Christian site! What do you really expect? Me likening some of the Bible to King Kong's first dump of the day is about the worst you will receive from me on this site. Christianity on the other hand has caused untold actual mental and physical anguish in it's nearly 2000 year reign. Humanism has done more to alleviate human misery in the last 50 years than Xianity has managed in 2000. And I'm not threatening you with eternal hellfire and damnation which the Bible does. So don't get on your over-sensitive moral high horse just because I like to take the piss. Look at the deeply harmful philosophy that's in the Bible, ingrained in almost every page.

I expect if you need to piss on people, than that's your deal. I don't see that it promotes God or god.

Guest end3

End you speak of environment. Would you care to describe your current environment to me? Seriously. Like...

What kind of computer are you using? 78.gif

Are inside or outside? Can you briefly describe it? Wendyshrug.gif

What are you wearing? GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

And does your famliy know you are speaking with heathens? lmao_99.gif

What's your point sir.

My thoughts, End, are that if, as you say, these verses are "more a function of what we do rather than what we expect God to do," then what's the point of having god? If you wipe god out of the equation, then the point made by many about god not being there, at least when it comes to our needs, is true even under your interpretation. Therefore, either way, the people on here who realized that god did nothing for them are correct and they (we) are left doing things for ourselves without god's help.

• Like 2

I expect if you need to piss on people, than that's your deal. I don't see that it promotes God or god.

God or god? What are you on about? Are we talking a deity outside of us (God) or an inner enlightenment (god with a small "g") or was it just a typo?

The trouble is people like you prop up the Bronze Age myth that is the Bible. People like you make excuses for an immoral, far-fetched psychological virus and perpetuate the contagion even though it's well past it's sell-by-date. People like you fail to look at the Bible holistically and just concentrate on the innocuous bits and conveniently ignore the horrendous bits. What is your purpose for coming on an ex-christian site? We've made up our minds. I could no more believe in threats of Hellfire than I could believe in the Easter Bunny's Evil Lair.

Christianity views the world as a sinking ship. I think it is more honourable to stay behind and try to repair the ship than behave like rats fleeing the ship.

Thankfully we have the internet - where religion goes to die...

My thoughts, End, are that if, as you say, these verses are "more a function of what we do rather than what we expect God to do," then what's the point of having god? If you wipe god out of the equation, then the point made by many about god not being there, at least when it comes to our needs, is true even under your interpretation. Therefore, either way, the people on here who realized that god did nothing for them are correct and they (we) are left doing things for ourselves without god's help.

Precisely. This is a conversation about nothing. The God of the Bible takes credit for all our accomplishments whilst we get blamed for everything that goes wrong. What a double-whammy of nonsense. It's a program. That's all. And faith only works for you if you are predisposed to believe. It's called confirmation bias and it's just head-stuff.

Why would God insist on belief in him (which God?) as the ultimate and most important truth when every other aspect of my life requires evidence and reasoned argument or scientific method to home in on the truth of a claim? It doesn't add up.

• Like 1

Guest end3

What I am trying to express, poorly mind you, is essentially the Bible says do these things to manifest "God" within a relationship. The key is "what is God". IMO, it's essentially a postive manifestation within a relationship based on an External Morality that is learned learned through fundamentalism but then becomes internalized and put into action. All I am saying is that many here believe in the action(s) but have dismissed Christianity because of the dreaded fundamental part......when in fact, I believe the overall account of the Bible describes this process very well.....and especially these verses.

For example, for a long time, we expect God to do for us until we become more mature and become God to do for others. I believe this mirrors the Old and New Testaments.....and by doing so, is affiming.

Guest end3

Precisely. This is a conversation about nothing. The God of the Bible takes credit for all our accomplishments whilst we get blamed for everything that goes wrong. What a double-whammy of nonsense. It's a program. That's all. And faith only works for you if you are predisposed to believe. It's called confirmation bias and it's just head-stuff.

Well then there are a hell of a crowd that don't believe Christianity....that are predisposed to believe the "program".

Why would God insist on belief in him (which God?) as the ultimate and most important truth when every other aspect of my life requires evidence and reasoned argument or scientific method to home in on the truth of a claim? It doesn't add up.

Uh, because he's God and your not?