Goodbye Jesus

If Jesus Is God

TheRedneckProfessor

• Super Moderator

I cannot defend Christianity and the thousands of denominations.  I would just like to provide a different perspective that the church has lost. 

When are you going to start?  So far you've just rattled off the same rubbish we've already heard.

• Like 2

Isn't it nice to believe in a God that listens to the intercession of his children?

I never want to be that blindly naive again.

• Like 2

...ummm...funguy...

IT'S ALL FICTION.  All this dropping palletloads of cult literature is getting very tiresome already.

• Super Moderator

Wait, does that mean the Biblical Jesus was born from a cursed lineage?

No, because the curse of Jeconiah from Jeremiah 22:24 was reversed in Haggai 2:23

". . . O Zerubbabel, my servant, and will make thee as a signet ring (chotahm, חֹותָם): for I have chosen you, says HaShem Tzva’ot.”

The god who is the same today, yesterday, and forevermore sure does change his mind a lot, doesn't he?

Isn't it nice to believe in a God that listens to the intercession of his children?

11 Then Moses entreated the Lord his God, and said, “O Lord, why does Your anger burn against Your people whom You have brought out from the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand? 12 Why should the Egyptians speak, saying, ‘With evil intent He brought them out to kill them in the mountains and to destroy them from the face of the earth’? Turn from Your burning anger and change Your mind about doing harm to Your people. 13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants to whom You swore by Yourself, and said to them, ‘I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heavens, and all this land of which I have spoken I will give to your descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.’” 14 So the Lord changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people.

God had every right to be angry with Israel, considering they just saw the parting of the Red Sea and other miracles, yet they make a stupid golden calf and worship it.  Did God have every reason to smite them?  Sure.  But he relented due to the pleas of Moses.  This speaks to not only to the great mercy of God, but that he will change his mind when his people deserve his wrath.  This is a blessing God, who wants to bless us to a thousand generations.  Not curse us for a thousand. 

Well, lift my leg and call me a dog, I'M CONVINCED!!!  Wait, no I'm not.  The bible is just a book of fairy tales written by bronze age sheep herders.  It may contain some truth, but it has never been proven to be THE truth.  If you want to believe in fairy tales, that's fine, as long as you know they are not true.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

This speaks to not only to the great mercy of God, but that he will change his mind when his people deserve his wrath.  This is a blessing God, who wants to bless us to a thousand generations.  Not curse us for a thousand. 

You might want to tell that to all those poor sods who are burning in hell for all eternity as a result of the "mercy" of your god.

• Like 1

Well, the point was to show to the Jewish believer the authenticity of the promised Messiah.  He had to come before the temple was destroyed as per the book of Daniel.  The genealogy also showed the legality in Jewish minds of Joseph taking on Jesus to be his own, as well the physical descendant of Mary in Luke.

I cannot defend Christianity and the thousands of denominations.  I would just like to provide a different perspective that the church has lost. 

You might want to read Luke again.  Luke 1:5 and 1:36 clearly make Mary a descended of Aaron.  If Joseph isn't the father of Jesus then Jesus would be the brother of Adam.  He cannot be of the line of David through the mother, especially if she is of the Priestly decedents of Aaron.

We are exChristians.  We have studied the Bible for decades.  We don't mind that you have religion.  We don't mind that your religion is Christian.  But we are not interested in coming back to Christianity.  If you want a different perspective try reading the Bible as if it is not the inspired word of God.  Read it as if it were the word of men and the Bible will make a lot more sense.  But if that doesn't interest you that is fine.  I don't mind if you keep your religion.

• Like 4

I'd feel a lot better if 'god' could, oh, bless a bunch of children by intervening so they don't get slaughtered by a psycho in their own classrooms.  Seems your 'god' is only concerned about getting his ass kissed.

• Like 1

Sorry, don't mean to preach.  But maybe you didn't know that before.

You did mean to preach.  But yeah, everyone here has heard all this and understood it for the bullshit it is.  Preaching is allowed in this forum - reading it is not required.  You're on ignore, as of now.  Bye bye.

• Like 1

Sure.  The bible was originally written in the Hebrew, not English, Mandarin, Greek, etc.  This was the original language and over the last 50 or so years, has brought out amzing insights into the bible, specifically about Jesus

The Jewish scriptures were written in Hebrew.  The Roman scriptures were written in Greek.  They are not from the same religion.

• Super Moderator

When are you going to start?  So far you've just rattled off the same rubbish we've already heard.

Sure.  The bible was originally written in the Hebrew, not English, Mandarin, Greek, etc.  This was the original language and over the last 50 or so years, has brought out amzing insights into the bible, specifically about Jesus

Genesis 3:14-15 is a foreshadowing of the Messiah to come. Awesome in itself the prophecy right here. Do we see any other hidden meanings within the first few chapters of Genesis of the coming Redeemer? Well, let’s look at Genesis 1:14And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night,and let them serve as SIGNS to mark sacred times,and days and years,”

So the key word we are looking at “signs” and look at the significance of it when looked through the lens of the Hebrew language (Disclaimer: I am by no means any expert on the Hebrew language, or even English for that matter. So verify what I am writing before you take it as the Gospel. This is just one little nugget I thought I would pass on.)

In the OT, Exodus 13:16, Joshua 24:17, Isaiah 7:14 and many other passages point to the coming of our Messiah to come. So these prophecies that were fulfilled were accompanied by signs for the people of the time to watch for the Messiah. Now for the meaning of signs in Hebrew.

Signs = #1.1 Scriptures for אוֹת (Htr. ’ot) meaning 'sign' Strong's 226

This can also mean “miraculous sign.” Look at the word אוֹת in the Hebrew.

א (Aleph) is the first word of the Hebrew alphabet. It originates from the ancient pictograph of an ox head - representing strength and power from the work performed by the animal. This pictograph also represents a chief or other leader. When two oxen are yoked together for pulling a wagon or plow, one is the older and more experienced one who leads the other. Within the clan, tribe or family the chief or father is seen as the elder who is yoked to the others as the leader and teacher. http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/3_al.html

וֹ (Vav) The original pictograph used in the Early Semitic script is a picture of a tent peg. The tent pegs were made of wood and may have been Y-shaped to prevent the rope from slipping off. http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/3_waw.html

ת(Hey) The original pictograph for this letter is a man standing with his arms raised out. The Modern Hebrew and original name for this letter is “hey”. The Hebrew word “hey” means “behold”, as when looking at a great sight. This word can also mean “breath” or “sigh” as one does when looking at a great sight. The meaning of the letter is behold, look, breath, sigh and reveal or revelation from the idea of revealing a great sight by pointing it out. http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/3_hey.html

You put the 3 pictographs together and you have the leader nailed with his arms raised out. Sound familiar?

So how does this tie into Genesis 1:14? Simple, look at Matthew 2:2.

How many more signs did the people need at that time to realize Jesus was the “One” Micah 5:2, Jeremiah 31:15, Isaiah 11:2, Isaiah 9:1, Zechariah 9:9, Isaiah 53:3 on and on we can find many more passages realizing the fulfillment of the Scriptures.

Sorry, don't mean to preach.  But maybe you didn't know that before.

No, really, when are you going to start?

By the way, the whole "cut and paste" apologetic style gets really old, even for newcomers to this site such as myself.

I'd feel a lot better if 'god' could, oh, bless a bunch of children by intervening so they don't get slaughtered by a psycho in their own classrooms.  Seems your 'god' is only concerned about getting his ass kissed.

We all ask God how could you let this happen?

Don't you think he is looking down at us and asking us the same thing?

Nope.  It makes a lot more sense if there is no God.  Both good and bad things happen and that is just the way it is.

You said God doesn't want to curse us for a thousand generations.  There is no reason for Jesus to die in the first place.  If God doesn't want to curse us for a thousand generations then just forgive Adam and Eve (who didn't exist) for eating the forbidden fruit (that didn't exist).  Forgiveness really isn't that hard.  Humans can forgive better than the God of the Bible.  But Christianity where Jesus just died for no apparent reason isn't as appealing.

'god' DID let it happen.  So fuck 'him.'  But really, no god exists - that's the only explanation for any of this mess of a world.  If a god did exist it would deserve only contempt.

Are people really content to believe in a 'god' that allows children to be slaughtered and worse?  I find that repugnant and nauseating.

Until the veracity of the Bible is proven, verses don't mean a thing. I can quote text also, quite lovely text.. here's a very small sample of holy texts from around the world and through the ages.

1. THEN was not non-existent nor existent: there was no realm of air, no sky beyond it.
What covered in, and where? and what gave shelter? Was water there, unfathomed depth of water?

2 Death was not then, nor was there aught immortal: no sign was there, the day's and night's divider.
That One Thing, breathless, breathed by its own nature: apart from it was nothing whatsoever.

3 Darkness there was: at first concealed in darkness this All was indiscriminated chaos.
All that existed then was void and form less: by the great power of Warmth was born that Unit.

4 Thereafter rose Desire in the beginning, Desire, the primal seed and germ of Spirit.
Sages who searched with their heart's thought discovered the existent's kinship in the non-existent.

5 Transversely was their severing line extended: what was above it then, and what below it?
There were begetters, there were mighty forces, free action here and energy up yonder

6 Who verily knows and who can here declare it, whence it was born and whence comes this creation?
The Gods are later than this world's production. Who knows then whence it first came into being?

7 He, the first origin of this creation, whether he formed it all or did not form it,
Whose eye controls this world in highest heaven, he verily knows it, or perhaps he knows not.

~ Rig Veda, Book 10 (not sure about how exact the translation is - but very interesting thoughts)

"Say. Do you disbelieve Him Who created the earth in two periods? Do you ascribe equals to Him. He is the Lord of the Worlds.

"He set in the (earth) mountains standing firm. He blessed it.

He measured therein its sustenance in four periods, in due proportion, in accordance with the needs of those who ask for (sustenance? or information?).

"Moreover (tumma) He turned to heaven when it was smoke and said to it and to the earth: come willingly or unwillingly! They said: we come in willing obedience.

"Then He ordained them seven heavens in two periods, and He assigned to each heaven its mandate by Revelation. And We adorned the lower heaven with luminaries and provided it a guard. Such is the decree of the All Mighty, the Full of Knowledge."

~ Q'uran verses 9 to 12, sura 41:

Hail to thee, oh god who sends forth the Moment, who

presides over all the Secret things, and protects the utterance
of my words.

Here is a god displeased against me ; let wrong be over-
whelmed and let it fall upon the hands of the Lord of Law,
Remove the impediments which are in me and the evil and the
darkness, oh Lord of Law, and let that god be reconciled to me,
removing that which detains me from thee.

Oh, lord of offerings in Kenu (ear of corn - not sure what it signifies, maybe the offering?), let me offer to thee the
propitiary offering by which thou livest, and let me live by it and
be reconciled.

Let all the displeasure which is in thy heart against me be
removed.

CHAPTER XIV ~ Egyptian Book of the Dead

5. And therefore as Thou, O Ahura Mazda! didst think, speak, dispose, and do all things good (for us), so to Thee would we give, so would we assign to Thee our homage; so would we worship Thee with our sacrifices. So would we bow before Thee with these gifts, and so direct our prayers to Thee with confessions of our debt

6. By the kinship of the good kindred, by that of Righteousness the good (Thy righteous servant's nature) would we approach Thee, and by that of the good thrift-law, and of Piety the good. 

~ Zoroastrian Avesta - Yasna  13:5, 6

ANATHAPINDIKA rejoiced at the words of the Blessed One and said: I dwell at Savatthi, the capital of Kosala, a land rich in produce and enjoying peace. Pasenadi is the king of the country, and his name is renowned among our own people and our neighbors. Now I wish to found there a vihara which shall be a place of religious devotion for your brotherhood, and I pray you kindly to accept it."

The Buddha saw into the heart of the supporter of orphans; and knowing that unselfish charity was the moving cause of his offer, in acceptance of the gift, the Blessed One said: "The charitable man is loved by all; his friendship is prized highly; in death his heart is at rest and full of joy, for he suffers not from repentance; he receives the opening flower of his reward and the fruit that ripens from it. Hard it is to understand: By giving away our food, we get more strength, by bestowing clothing on others, we gain more beauty; by donating abodes of purity and truth, we acquire great treasures.

"There is a proper time and a proper mode in charity; just as the vigorous warrior goes to battle, so is the man who is able to give. He is like an able warrior a champion strong and wise in action. Loving and compassionate he gives with reverence and banishes all hatred, envy, and anger.

"The charitable man has found the path of salvation. He is like the man who plants a sapling, securing thereby the shade, the flowers, and the fruit in future years. Even so is the result of charity, even so is the joy of him who helps those that are in need of assistance; even so is the great Nirvana. We reach the immortal path only by continuous acts of kindliness and we perfect our souls by compassion and charity."

Anathapindika invited Sariputta to accompany him on his return to Kosala and help him in selecting a pleasant site for the vihara.

~ Buddha, Sermon on Charity

1. Hearing I ask | from the holy races,
From Heimdall's sons, | both high and low;
Thou wilt, Valfather, | that well I relate
Old tales I remember | of men long ago.

2. I remember yet | the giants of yore,
Who gave me bread | in the days gone by;
Nine worlds I knew, | the nine in the tree
With mighty roots | beneath the mold.

3. Of old was the age | when Ymir lived;
Sea nor cool waves | nor sand there were;
Earth had not been, | nor heaven above,
But a yawning gap
, | and grass nowhere.

4. Then Bur's sons lifted | the level land,
Mithgarth the mighty | there they made;
The sun from the south | warmed the stones of earth,
And green was the ground | with growing leeks.

5. The sun, the sister | of the moon, from the south
Her right hand cast | over heaven's rim;
No knowledge she had | where her home should be,
The moon knew not | what might was his,
The stars knew not | where their stations were.

~ Norse Poetic Eddas; Voluspo, 1 - 5

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Okay Fungi (am I pronouncing that correctly?), you believe that god loves us and wants to bless us for a thousand generations or whatever the phrase was, right?  You also seem to believe that you have some new information that we aren't privy to and the fact that you write on another site somehow lends credibility to your case.  With that in mind, I have one question for you:

If god is all he's cracked up to be, then why didn't he provide your "information" to some pastor or deacon in each of our churches so that it could be passed on to us before we became ex-christians? 

Are you going to try to tell me that he moves in mysterious ways?  Are you going to try to convince me that his ways are higher than our ways?  Oh, please tell me about how god has a plan for everybody and this is just part of his plan to use you as a troll in sheep's clothing to redeem us godless heathens.

So far, you've offered meaningless drivel; it's time you brought your big-boy game.

• Like 3

My dear Funguyrye,

You have stepped into a place where people have left christianity, mostly because we did read our bibles, extensively. Not because we are ignorant of it.

Studied... deeply. We've looked at all these things and have found them wanting. We debate the finer points all the time. Some of us were bible scholars, ministers and pastors.

Read Margee's post in the testimonials.  here:  http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/44259-please-forgive-me/

That will tell you where we come from... and I think it holds true for most of us, at one time.

• Super Moderator

'god' DID let it happen.  So fuck 'him.'  But really, no god exists - that's the only explanation for any of this mess of a world.  If a god did exist it would deserve only contempt.

Are people really content to believe in a 'god' that allows children to be slaughtered and worse?  I find that repugnant and nauseating.

Why be angry at a god that doesn't exist?

We allow the slaughter of millions of babies every year.  It's called abortion. 

i don't wanna get into the free choice spiel because you have heard it all before I am sure.  Just being a bit presumptuous.

Why do christians always assume we are angry at god?  Personally, I'd much rather spend the afternoon in the park with my son enjoying the sweet perfume of flowers on a gentle breeze with a few notes of birdsong, than spend it with a defiant fist raised in the air, railing against the depravities of a non-existent diety.

Who's with me?

Somehow pointing out that their fictional deity DOES NOTHING makes us angry.  Right.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Somehow pointing out that their fictional deity DOES NOTHING makes us angry.  Right.

Wait... but that would mean they are projecting their own anger onto us!  How very unchristian of them.  That's just downright ornery.

And btw funguy's god doesn't stop abortion either, and in fact no abortions EVER would have happened if his god had dealt with the actual transgressors (Adam & Eve) and not let their unforgiven sin (which god led them into) roll over into countless generations.  'god' is responsible for ALL evil and vile things - his game, his rules, he could change it any time he wants.  Of course though 'he' couldn't because 'he' doesn't exist.

red, I would have given you a +1 but I'm at my daily limit - everyone's been spot on lately!

It was prophecied the Jews would reject Jesus. 

Uh no, it wasn't prophesied.  In fact nothing was prophesied about Jesus Christ.

Now Deuteronomy was written about 1500-2000 BC.  But if you don't believe that, we know the Tanakh was translated into Greek about 200 BC.  So there is this prophecy that Israel would be scattered everywhere.  Did that not happen the last 2000 years.  Interesting it was after Israel rejected their Messiah, or Jesus.  Now against all odds, after WWII Israel became a nation again.  That is truly against all logic and possibility, a whole bunch of Jews returning back to the land that was to be their own as God promised then.  Yet their return was again prophecied.

That prophesy was probably written by one of Ezra's men.  It was fulfilled by Ezra returning from Babylon.  It has nothing to do with Britain giving refugees land in the Middle East and those refugees picking a name with a lot of baggage.  Modern Israel is a secular democracy, not a Jewish monarchy or theocracy.  There is nothing against logic about creating a nation and choosing a name for it.

What a huge ginormous coincidence the nation of Israel and the Jewish people being returned back to the land which was essentially uninhabitable for the last 1900 years.

Actually the Palestinians lived there that whole time.  It's why they are at war with the nation that started in 1948.  The displaced people think they own the land because their parents and grandparents owned it.

Another coincidence you won't find in the english bible is the Hebrew year is 5708 which was 1948 when Israel became a nation again.

The original Bible didn't have verses.  Yes coincidence is right.

Jesus laid down his life on his own accord, it wasn't a human sacrifice per say bringing Jesus to the temple and sacrificing him.  The later verses in Isaiah 52 and Isaiah 53 speak to this.

Paul created a blood cult.  Paul's theology was washing in the blood.  And Paul made Christ the source of that blood.  Isaiah has nothing to do with Jesus Christ.  Christ hasn't been invented when Isaiah was written.

If you read Isaiah 52 and 53 you will see that the suffering servant is not the Lord and not God.  However certainly this passage along with the Roman Jewish war inspired New Testament writers.

Well, the point was to show to the Jewish believer the authenticity of the promised Messiah.  He had to come before the temple was destroyed as per the book of Daniel.  The genealogy also showed the legality in Jewish minds of Joseph taking on Jesus to be his own, as well the physical descendant of Mary in Luke.

You might want to read Luke again.  Luke 1:5 and 1:36 clearly make Mary a descended of Aaron.  If Joseph isn't the father of Jesus then Jesus would be the brother of Adam.  He cannot be of the line of David through the mother, especially if she is of the Priestly decedents of Aaron.

We are exChristians.  We have studied the Bible for decades.  We don't mind that you have religion.  We don't mind that your religion is Christian.  But we are not interested in coming back to Christianity.  If you want a different perspective try reading the Bible as if it is not the inspired word of God.  Read it as if it were the word of men and the Bible will make a lot more sense.  But if that doesn't interest you that is fine.  I don't mind if you keep your religion.

That is interesting.  Mary and Elizabeth were relatives, but the bible doesn't go into detail.  Although tribal heritage was usually passed through the father's heritage.  Elizabeth and Mary were descendants of Aaron and David, by way of their father's ancestry, not necessarily of their mother's.

Jewish heritage is through the mother...

"Historical definitions of Jewish identity have traditionally been based on halakhic definitions of matrilineal descent, and halakhic conversions. Historical definitions of who is a Jew date back to the codification of the Oral Torah into the Babylonian Talmud, around 200 CE. Interpretations of sections of the Tanakh, such as Deuteronomy 7:1–5, by Jewish sages, are used as a warning against intermarriage between Jews and Canaanites because "[the non-Jewish husband] will cause your child to turn away from Me and they will worship the gods (i.e., idols) of others." Leviticus 24:10 says that the son in a marriage between a Hebrew woman and an Egyptian man is "of the community of Israel." This is complemented by Ezra 10:2–3, where Israelites returning from Babylon vow to put aside their gentile wives and their children."

Source: Wikipedia

• Super Moderator

Okay Fungi (am I pronouncing that correctly?), you believe that god loves us and wants to bless us for a thousand generations or whatever the phrase was, right?  You also seem to believe that you have some new information that we aren't privy to and the fact that you write on another site somehow lends credibility to your case.  With that in mind, I have one question for you:

If god is all he's cracked up to be, then why didn't he provide your "information" to some pastor or deacon in each of our churches so that it could be passed on to us before we became ex-christians? 

Are you going to try to tell me that he moves in mysterious ways?  Are you going to try to convince me that his ways are higher than our ways?  Oh, please tell me about how god has a plan for everybody and this is just part of his plan to use you as a troll in sheep's clothing to redeem us godless heathens.

So far, you've offered meaningless drivel; it's time you brought your big-boy game.

You can be an ex-christian and still believe in Jesus.  Some people take serious objections to being called a christian, even though they believe in Jesus.  Do you reject Christianity?  I can't defend that.  The Christian church has strayed very far from its Jewish roots.  Jesus did not come to this earth to begin a new movement called Christianity.  Christianity arose as a result of separating themselves from their Jewish roots.  Do we share the same message of Jesus dying for us?  Yes.  But after that, is a different story.  In the process, Christianity has lost a bunch of stuff from their roots. 

So is it Jesus you have an issue with?  Or is it Christianity?

This is your big-boy game?  Basically you're simply saying, "Ah come on, guys, give christianity a break.  The poor old bride of christ has just lost her way, is all.  She just ain't what christ intended her to be." 

How on earth could you possibly think that is a convincing argument?

• Super Moderator

Again, Fungi, most of us are not the angry bitter types you think we are.

"...the Hebrew year is 5708 which was 1948 when Israel became a nation again...."

Of course NOBODY could have translated the Hebrew year and pushed to get a Hebrew state created in 1948 to 'force' the 'prophecy.'  Not at all...

You can be an ex-christian and still believe in Jesus.  Some people take serious objections to being called a christian, even though they believe in Jesus.  Do you reject Christianity?  I can't defend that.  The Christian church has strayed very far from its Jewish roots.  Jesus did not come to this earth to begin a new movement called Christianity.  Christianity arose as a result of separating themselves from their Jewish roots.  Do we share the same message of Jesus dying for us?  Yes.  But after that, is a different story.  In the process, Christianity has lost a bunch of stuff from their roots. 

So is it Jesus you have an issue with?  Or is it Christianity?

I don't have an issue with either, other than christianity is a dangerous cult built on lies and the Bible is a collection of ancient myths and political propaganda and also full of bovine excrement.

Jesus? meh.. there may have been a Rabbi (or several) named 'Jesus' (Joshua was a common name) around that time, even a radical or two... thats about all I think about Jesus. it's much more likely that a side cult of Judaism was Hellenized and the Greeks love of man-god things (Demi-gods al a Hercules) got all mixed in with the Judaic prophecy (wishful thinking, since they'd been conquered so many times) of a messiah or temporal saviour to restore 'Israel'.. which by the time of the captivity in Babylon was long gone.. only Judah was left.