Goodbye Jesus

The Big Question

ironhorse

"-Being taught never to read any books that teach opposite of what you must believe.

-Being taught never to question anything written by our group.

-Being taught never to oppose or question the authority."  Ironhorse on indoctrination.

And yet you believe the bible is the Word of God? So, it's ok to question the authenticity of the bible? To question its accuracy? To question its consistency? Is it ok to come up with non-christian conclusions on these issues?   You rarely answer my questions for some reason. How about giving this try?   bill

Bill, you might want to add these questions to the thread of unanswered IH questions.

IH: there is a thread with questions you haven't answered.  

Any time you want to demonstrate your willingness to keep promises and give a reason for your faith (as your bible says to do) you know where to find the thread.

Non-response will be seen as evidence that you don't keep your promises and you are unwilling to give a reason for your faith (as your bible says to do).

Do you not agree that when we get to this point, the two sides of the coin will never ring together 

in agreement?

I don't ask you to give up your faith.  All I ask is that you be honest and admit when you don't have evidence, don't want evidence or choose to ignore evidence.  You wish to pretend that you questioned your faith but when asked about it you point to your leap of faith.  A leap of faith is not skepticism.  It is not questioning your beliefs.

Stand tall and admit that facts are not for you.  You want nothing to do with them.

I admit, I don't any physical evidence I can place before you on a table.

If you can make this admission to MyMistake, then can you admit to me that you had no physical evidence (as per Thomas) upon which to make an informed and evidence-based decision to accept Jesus as your God?

I will even agree that there are passages in the Bible that are troubling 

and I don't understand.

I just believe that the Rebel from Nazareth was telling the truth.

But did you see the physical evidence of his resurrection, as Thomas did, and decide he was telling the truth on that evidence-led basis, Ironhorse?

I agree my parents influenced my beliefs in childhood, but I know the most important

thing they taught me was to question everything.

It is such a shame that you do not listen to your parent's teaching.

I did listen.

You may have listened to them Ironhorse, but you didn't put their teaching (question everything) into practice when you were 12 and made an evidence-free decision to accept Jesus as your God.

A simple admission of this on your part now will spare us all weeks, months or years of pressing you with this question.

Please fess up, Ironhorse.

• Super Moderator

I venture to say that nobody ever becomes a Christian based on evidence and logic, as there is none. It is always emotionally driven. Fear, peer pressure, group psychology and social needs are the things that keep the religion alive. People come up with "logical" arguments and "proofs" after they have committed to the belief. Of course these arguments and proofs are faulty as they strain logic and twist facts in order to support a belief based necessarily on blind faith.

Do you not agree that when we get to this point, the two sides of the coin will never ring together 

in agreement?

Yet you insist on staying on this website, Ironhorse.  For what?

"This is the section of the board where Christian opinions, arguments, sermons and so on will be more-or-less tolerated. Aggressive evangelism is permitted in this section, but aggressive evangelists should be ready to be met by equally aggressive resistance."

~selected from the rules for The Lion's Den

To be a part of offering a Christian's opinion, to engage in discussions, to offer sermons.

I appreciate the administrators of this site allowing Christians a voice here.

I would rather be here than on the Rapture Ready Forums or the Baptist Board.

If you would like to know more of why, I can five some background on me and

why I like this place.

in agreement?

Yet you insist on staying on this website, Ironhorse.  For what?

"This is the section of the board where Christian opinions, arguments, sermons and so on will be more-or-less tolerated. Aggressive evangelism is permitted in this section, but aggressive evangelists should be ready to be met by equally aggressive resistance."

To be a part of offering a Christian's opinion, to engage in discussions, to offer sermons.

why I like this place.

Thank you for clarifying things, Ironhorse.

So you are offering opinions, engaging in discussions and offering sermons...

...but not honoring your promises.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

But not to answer any of our questions, which you promised you'd answer.  Thanks for implicitly saying so.

Then of course you realize we will continue to explain why your sermons are false teachings.

• Like 1

Sermons? Seriously?

IH, you are missing the point. The issue is not your judgement on whether a particular indoctrination is good or bad. The issue is whether or not the content of the indoctrination is actually, objectively true. Do you not agree that people have a strong tendency to believe the things they were taught in childhood, whether or not they are true? Do you not see the strong likelihood that you believe what you do because of your upbringing? No matter how much you say that your parents taught you to question, even if they really did, if they were Christians and raised you around a Christian environment, then you are either naive or dishonest to think that your upbringing had no influence on your current state of beliefs.

I was raised in a Christian environment, and believed it wholeheartedly for over 20 years. I had all the "life changing" experiences of salvation, filling of the holly spirit, etc. But, I came to a place where I decided to look at it all objectively, putting aside my own bias toward the belief that it's true. I came to the conclusion that it is all man-made, that there is no evidence that it's actually true. It's a comforting and emotionally helpful frame work for many people, true enough. But that does not make the supernatural claims for Christianity actually true.

“Do you not agree that people have a strong tendency to believe the things they were taught in childhood, whether or not they are true?”

Yes

“ Do you not see the strong likelihood that you believe what you do because of your upbringing?

If you mean what I believe today, no.

I agree my parents influenced my beliefs in childhood, but I know the most important

thing they taught me was to question everything.

I do agree that for some people the answer would be yes. I guess I could go so far as to say many people.

Your answer to the second question is incorrect. I know this by virtue of the fact that you are human. Your current state of beliefs has been and is influenced by your upbringing. That is true for everybody, even us apostates. The degree to which we continue to let our childhood teachings influence us is the difference. I'm sure your specific doctrinal beliefs differ greatly from your parents. But your core beliefs that god exists and that Jesus is his way of salvation are directly informed by your upbringing. You did not discover these teachings. They were given to you. I'm not being presumptuous; you have admitted as much. Therefore, the fact that you believe your belief in them is not influenced by your upbringing shows your naiveté.
  • Like 1

in agreement?

Yet you insist on staying on this website, Ironhorse. For what?

why I like this place.

Interesting that you're more comfortable here than on forums with your fellow Christians. Even if your beliefs differ greatly from theirs, they cannot differ more than they do from ours. Whether you admit it or not, I am of the strong opinion that one of the reasons you are here is because you still have significant doubts.

Free ThinkerNZ: I just got a new computer and its got Windows 8.1. I am in the process of learning it, For some reason I can't figure out how to copy and paste. I'm sure I will but as of yet I haven't.

I had been right clicking when I wanted to copy something and paste in a thread, but it doesn't always work with windows 8.1. I'll  keep trying. bill

I venture to say that nobody ever becomes a Christian based on evidence and logic, as there is none. It is always emotionally driven. Fear, peer pressure, group psychology and social needs are the things that keep the religion alive. People come up with "logical" arguments and "proofs" after they have committed to the belief. Of course these arguments and proofs are faulty as they strain logic and twist facts in order to support a belief based necessarily on blind faith.

I would say some have become Christians by they "perceive" as evidence and logic.

"It is always emotionally driven. Fear, peer pressure, group psychology and social needs are the things that keep the religion alive."

I agree this is true for some people. I don't know how many. I don't believe it is true for all.

My motivation was a search for truth. It was driven by my mind. Fear was not a factor to me nor peer pressure, group psychology

or social needs. I did my rethinking of Christianity alone. 

And again, I will say, yes, I cannot present concrete scientific evidence that Christianity is true.

It's my belief. 

I would say some have become Christians by they "perceive" as evidence and logic.

"It is always emotionally driven. Fear, peer pressure, group psychology and social needs are the things that keep the religion alive."

I agree this is true for some people. I don't know how many. I don't believe it is true for all.

My motivation was a search for truth. It was driven by my mind. Fear was not a factor to me nor peer pressure, group psychology

And again, I will say, yes, I cannot present concrete scientific evidence that Christianity is true.

It's my belief.

There have been so many posts on different threads that I can't keep track of everything that's been said, Ironhorse, by you or by people who disagree with you. So far, I can't remember any evidence that you've presented for the truth of your beliefs, let alone "concrete scientific evidence."

We understand what you believe. I'm glad it's working for you. I don't think you use your faith as an instrument of direct oppression of anyone. So far in all these threads, I don't think anything has gotten beyond what boils down to "you have your beliefs and experiences, I have mine." You haven't said anything credible about why anyone else is under obligation to believe what you believe in matters of religion. If I have forgotten some post in which you seek to provide a justification for your implied message that Ex-Christians should return to Christianity, please remind me of it.

That is because you allow wishful thinking to cloud your judgement.

It's my belief

The blue contradicts the orange.  Which one is the lie?  Obviously the orange part isn't a lie.  So since you settled for non-truth what was your real motivation?  Can you even be true with yourself on this?

• Like 1

It's my belief

The Blue contradicts the orange.  Which one is the lie?  Obviously the orange part isn't a lie.  So since you settled for non-truth what was your real motivation?  Can you even be true with yourself on this?

Why is do you consider my motivation is a lie?

Is it because you believe my conclusion is a non-truth?

If a person told me that in their journey for truth they decided that Buddhism is the truth.

I would not question the sincerity of their motivation.

The Buddhist convert might say:

1. "I can't say its The Truth, but it's a spirituality and lifestyle that works for me. You might get something out of it, too."

2. "I think it's The Truth for the following reasons:  ...  "

Why, oh why, Ironhorse, won't you come clean?  Which is your take on your Christianity?  Please make clear.  If your take is like 2. above, let's have your reasons.  So far, I don't think you can articulate ANY, since you've been dodging this and other questions for some time now.

Are you actually just trolling?

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

It's my belief. 

To that I say, "So what?"

People believe things for good reason or simply because they want to. One may choose to believe in the Illuminati conspiracy and their Reptilian hybrid world leaders. One may choose to believe Christianity, Islam, Scientology or Voodoo; each believer can make a case for why what he believes is actually true. Obviously, all cannot be true yet each of those beliefs rests on the same kind of evidence; subjective evidence. Why is there any reason to assume one of them is the valid one?

1. "I can't say its The Truth, but it's a spirituality and lifestyle that works for me. You might get something out of it, too."

Why, oh why, Ironhorse, won't you come clean?  Which is your take on your Christianity?  Please make clear.  If your take is like 2. above, let's have your reasons.  So far, I don't think you can articulate ANY, since you've been dodging this and other questions for some time now.

A troll?

Ah...I remember when it was once referred to as flaming cussing.gif

Definition from wikipedia:

In Internet slang, a troll  is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

-I have explained my "take" on Christianity.

-I am keeping it clear.

-I have stated my reasons.

-I have not been dodging questions.

-Though not in your statement above, I have been warned that lurkers are watching.

I agree guests are reading these threads. I'm not worried about that. I'm glad people

are reading the posts.

I'm not pleading for people to agree with my views. I'm here to express my views and to

agree with others when I can and post a opposing views when I disagree.

I'm not here to "flame" what a person believes on matters of faith or non-faith.

A troll?

In Internet slang, a troll  is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

-I am keeping it clear.

-Though not in your statement above, I have been warned that lurkers are watching.

I agree guests are reading these threads. I'm not worried about that. I'm glad people

are reading the posts.

I'm not pleading for people to agree with my views. I'm here to express my views and to

I'm not here to "flame" what a person believes on matters of faith or non-faith.

Hey, can we take it on faith that you are a troll?  Can we believe it anyway?  I'm not saying there is evidence of that.  Maybe we will take a leap.

It's my belief

The blue contradicts the orange.  Which one is the lie?  Obviously the orange part isn't a lie.  So since you settled for non-truth what was your real motivation?  Can you even be true with yourself on this?

Why is do you consider my motivation is a lie?

Because you contradicted yourself.

I'm going to search for the truth.  I have decided on faith that 1 + 1 = 17.  My search for the truth is now finished!

That doesn't make sense.

Is it because you believe my conclusion is a non-truth?

I can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Christianity is false.

If a person told me that in their journey for truth they decided that Buddhism is the truth.

I would not question the sincerity of their motivation.

Do you comprehend that you contradicted yourself in post 193?  Do you get that in a contradiction at least one of the sides must be false?  I am not saying that you are insincere.  You have been feeding yourself a steady diet of lies to the point where you cannot comprehend which way is up.  Your world view shapes your thoughts and perceptions.  And it is not true.  It has you trapped.

A troll?

-I am keeping it clear.

are reading the posts.

OK, I accept that you either have no reasons for your faith commitment or that you refuse to state them.  

I'm out, until I see something substantive.  Waste of my time.

A troll?

-I am keeping it clear.

Then what's this thread?

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/64259-ironhorse-not-answered-your-questions-put-them-here-for-all-to-see/#.U_dLQfk9JmM

Yes.  Several times now.

are reading the posts.

But you clearly aren't at all worried by what they think of your behavior.  Such as this...

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/64182-thank-you-ironhorse/#.U_dLrPk9JmM

Here, LongWayRound thanks you for helping him make his mind up to leave Christ and Christianity.  That's your doing.  He didn't take note of your views - he took note of your point-blank refusal to give honest answers to serious questions.  He wasn't interested in your beliefs - he was interested in how you conducted yourself.  It was your behavior, not your beliefs, that helped turn him away from Christ.

Some things are non-negotiable, Ironhorse.

There are some things that you CANNOT say, "I disagree" to.  There are some things that aren't a matter of personal belief, but that apply to EVERYONE.  Even you.

A troll?

-I am keeping it clear.

Then what's this thread?

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/64259-ironhorse-not-answered-your-questions-put-them-here-for-all-to-see/#.U_dLQfk9JmM

Yes.  Several times now.

are reading the posts.

But you clearly aren't at all worried by what they think of your behavior.  Such as this...

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/64182-thank-you-ironhorse/#.U_dLrPk9JmM

Here, LongWayRound thanks you for helping him make his mind up to leave Christ and Christianity.  That's your doing.  He didn't take note of your views - he took note of your point-blank refusal to give honest answers to serious questions.  He wasn't interested in your beliefs - he was interested in how you conducted yourself.  It was your behavior, not your beliefs, that helped turn him away from Christ.

Some things are non-negotiable, Ironhorse.

There are some things that you CANNOT say, "I disagree" to.  There are some things that aren't a matter of personal belief, but that apply to EVERYONE.  Even you.

Then what's this thread?

Fair question and I have been expecting you questioning me on this.

The thread asks others to post their unanswered questions for all to say.

I think the thread is a good idea.

I actually like having unanswered questions on one thread.

It will help me to see what questions I have not answered or I need to clarify more.

Two reasons why I have not posted in the thread:

1. I have been making an effort to answer questions asked and checking page one

and two of The Lion's Den for ones I may have missed. I'm not perfect, but I am not

dodging questions.

2. If I begin posting in the thread it would be getting "bumped" to the top of the page.

Plus, it might cause more questions to be posted. It's fine for members to post

them there. I would just like to try to stay focused on the other threads for right now.

It's my belief.

Do you really think that it's just coincidence that your conclusion that Christianity is true happens to be the same conclusion your parents hold, and that your conclusion was totally un-influenced by your upbringing? You have all but directly stated as much. You know better than that IH. If you really don't think so, then you have lied to yourself to the point you actually believe it. If you really don't think so, then you are naive.

I will be so bold as to make an assumption that I'm pretty sure is true to some degree. You are here conversing with us non-believers because you have significant doubts about Christianity, and you are trying to convince yourself that you have just as good or better of an argument for Christianity as we have against it. You'll deny this, but if you are honest with yourself, I think you'll find that you have buried these doubts very deep and you just refuse to acknowledge them.