Goodbye Jesus

What Defines And Drives A Relationship

Guest end3

This is simply sickening.  End3 is trying to equate his own cussedness and general orneriness ("sin") with a condition that could have easily claimed Brother Jeff's life just a few days ago.  He who preaches "grace" and "relationships".

Lurkers, especially those of you who still have christian tendencies, observe this behavior and ask yourselves, "Is this the best my religion has to offer?"

No sir, you were the one who brought the issue up. When is brain dysfunction excuseable and by what means do we quantify such.

Nope.  You need to take responsibility for your actions, End.  Stop blaming others for what you do.

I'm with BAA… see ya. Totally uncalled for callousness.. along with a pointless thread.

• Like 3

From the Brain and Behavior Research Foundation:

How is bipolar disorder diagnosed?

Bipolar disorder cannot yet be diagnosed physiologically by blood tests or brain scans. Currently, diagnosis is based on symptoms, course of illness, and family history.

GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Good job, End. You've completely ignored tons of research and scientific articles all to "prove" some point in an internet thread. There are a whole host of factors (brain structure, electrochemical imbalances, neurotransmitter issues, genetics, hormones and the environment) that contribute to varying degrees of risk. 

If you think the lack of a magical brain scan (whatever that means to you) makes all efforts to diagnose unscientific then you are being willfully ignorant. 

• Like 2

Who was that dipshit End was vehemently defending and calling us all callous in our treatment of him? Yet, here we see callousness directed towards a member of our group who is dealing with mental health issues and End can't call forth any of that same zeal or compassion.

• Like 3

It's simple guys, what's the difference between a legitimate brain disorder and a normal brain. How is this discerned. All I have atm is "well, we have people who are trained to spot this" "these symptoms" "this characterization".

I'll go look for myself. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.

History shows that you usually don't admit it when you are wrong.

What the hell are you even asking?  Are you demanding that we become psychologists?  You want us to all get medical degrees and then specialize in mental health to satisfy your demand?

End..

I followed this thread with interest over the past few days and I don't like what's going on here. What's going on? Why are you like this these days? 

End, when I started on this forum you we're the only "good" believer. You we're the one that also had some stuff he was working through and you didn't try and pretend that your life is perfect.

You didn't have to bring brother Jeff into this... I have depression. It's also a mental illness.  Mine is under control and because of my diagnosis being correct I'm living a normal happy life.

Please rather in future use my mental illness. I didn't just come out of the hospital like brother Jeff and I believe at this point in time I'm better equipped to deal with the Christian love that you are showing.

I believe you owe brother Jeff an apology.

edit - Accidentally quoted Ravenstar.

Ok, you will need the definition of communion for this exercise and a version of John 17. You make pick them up at the university book store or online. If you don't have them, copies will made available to you. Please be seated. I have to go get some coffee.

now your just being insulting. Why should anyone dignify answers to you when you cannot even heed what they are asking of you in a thread you started.

I find your definition invalid try again. I find john 17 invalid try again.

• Super Moderator

This is simply sickening.  End3 is trying to equate his own cussedness and general orneriness ("sin") with a condition that could have easily claimed Brother Jeff's life just a few days ago.  He who preaches "grace" and "relationships".

Lurkers, especially those of you who still have christian tendencies, observe this behavior and ask yourselves, "Is this the best my religion has to offer?"

No sir, you were the one who brought the issue up. When is brain dysfunction excuseable and by what means do we quantify such.

That is a bald faced lie. 

You blamed your lack of love on "sin".  I said that was just an excuse.  You said, "Why not tell Brother Jeff to quit being manic."  That was a blatant attempt to equate your "sin" with Jeff's condition.

DO NOT try to lie your way out of it.  Go back and re-read the thread.  You will see that YOU were the one who brought this issue up.

End..

I followed this thread with interest over the past few days and I don't like what's going on here. What's going on? Why are you like this these days? 

End, when I started on this forum you we're the only "good" believer. You we're the one that also had some stuff he was working through and you didn't try and pretend that your life is perfect.

You didn't have to bring brother Jeff into this... I have depression. It's also a mental illness.  Mine is under control and because of my diagnosis being correct I'm living a normal happy life.

Please rather in future use my mental illness. I didn't just come out of the hospital like brother Jeff and I believe at this point in time I'm better equipped to deal with the Christian love that you are showing.

I believe you owe brother Jeff an apology.

edit - Accidentally quoted Ravenstar.

Thanks for the note F. I wasn't trying to single out Jeff. I've done anxiety and depression before so badly I didn't think I could stand it. I care about Jeff and don't wish that struggle on anyone. Apologies to Jeff if it offended. That wasn't my intention.

Was asking the others here to scientifically define mental illness, bipolar as the example, and explain how it deviated from the norm. Additionally, why does any behavior not share the same consideration, labeling sin make believe and saying it's lack of discipline vs. allowing "legitimate" mental illness.

Then to find out after being chastised for a couple hours that bipolar is subjectively diagnosed by "trained professionals".

I digress.

Again, Jeff had little do to with the conversation. They used it to point out what a terrible person the Christian is.

That is a bald faced lie. 

You blamed your lack of love on "sin".  I said that was just an excuse.  You said, "Why not tell Brother Jeff to quit being manic."  That was a blatant attempt to equate your "sin" with Jeff's condition.

DO NOT try to lie your way out of it.  Go back and re-read the thread.  You will see that YOU were the one who brought this issue up.

Quit slinging shit and just answer the question....that's all I'm asking. Subjective diagnosis and deviates from the norm HOW? If you're claiming science and understanding then demonstrate science and understanding. Maybe we should be requesting your credentials.

• Super Moderator

Quit slinging shit and just answer the question....that's all I'm asking. Subjective diagnosis and deviates from the norm HOW? If you're claiming science and understanding then demonstrate science and understanding. Maybe we should be requesting your credentials.

To begin with, I am not slinging shit.  I am simply reminding you of how the conversation played out.  You accused me of being the one to drag Jeff into this and I called you out on it.  I, in no way, slung any shit your way.  But I can't simply allow you to bear false witness against me.  There's a commandment against doing so that even this immoral old atheist still follows. 

Secondly, I have no comment to make concerning the process of diagnosing mental illnesses beyond what I have already provided you because psychology is not my field.  For me to speak on a subject which is outside my area of expertise could be misleading and unwise.  I recommend you contatct a psychologist in your area and direct your questions appropriately.

Lastly, I, too, am done with this thread.

To begin with, I am not slinging shit.  I am simply reminding you of how the conversation played out.  You accused me of being the one to drag Jeff into this and I called you out on it.  I, in no way, slung any shit your way.  But I can't simply allow you to bear false witness against me.  There's a commandment against doing so that even this immoral old atheist still follows. 

Secondly, I have no comment to make concerning the process of diagnosing mental illnesses beyond what I have already provided you because psychology is not my field.  For me to speak on a subject which is outside my area of expertise could be misleading and unwise.  I recommend you contatct a psychologist in your area and direct your questions appropriately.

Lastly, I, too, am done with this thread.

Well how in the heck, if it's not your field sir, do you describe the illness as "legitimate"?

Was asking the others here to scientifically define mental illness, bipolar as the example, and explain how it deviated from the norm. 

We are not psychologists.  Thus we do not have the training required to know the answer.  This has been explained to you several times now.  

Additionally, why does any behavior not share the same consideration, labeling sin make believe and saying it's lack of discipline vs. allowing "legitimate" mental illness.

Because psychologists have no diagnosis for sin.  Sin comes from religion.  It's as real as dragons, demons, angels, talking serpents, talking donkeys and the rest of the nonsense found in the Bible.

• Like 1

Whoa, that deteriorated fast. I left this thread before, because it was obvious End3 wasn't going to engage in any honest discussion, and I dropped in again because I just wanted to see where it went. And it went HERE. I don't even know what to say, I'm so angry.

It just so happens I'm in graduate school for a master's degree in Library and Information Science. I have four assignments due in 48 hours, at the end of this week, and I work full time (at a library), so I'm scrambling to keep ahead of the school-work before it buries me alive. I've also caught a very mild cold virus, on account of the stress probably. But this... THIS I'll make time for. This has got to be in the top ten most disgusting and morally offensive things I've ever seen happen. You don't treat people like that, End3. You just don't. Your ignorance can hurt other people - people like Brother Jeff, for instance - and, at some point, you choose to be ignorant. It's not about "belief" -- this is now about basic humanity, kindness, and compassion.

End3, information is literally my profession. The good Professor has kindly dropped you several perfectly serviceable links on depression and bipolar disorder. Staying awake in Psychology 101 in any college would have also gotten you the answers you want. Or, for that matter, asking a reference librarian at any public or academic library.

I will humour you, and be that reference librarian, for the question "how do psychologists diagnose disorders, and what are the definitions and criteria on which they operate?"

Let me introduce you to WorldCat.org -- this website is a combined catalogue for libraries all over the world. It is free to use, for anyone. If you want a book on any subject, you can use their search engine to find a copy of any book you want at the library closest to you. You can also contact your local public library, and request an inter-library loan (ILL) of a book from other libraries, too. There are even web-forms, for most public libraries' websites, for these purposes. Of course libraries also will allow you to request items that they have, and hold for you to pick up. Now that we have the basics out of the way, so that this cannot be excused if it happens again, here's the answer to your question:

I stayed awake in Psychology 101, so I know that the book that Psychologists use to define disorders - including the diagnostic threshold - is the DSM IV-TR (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Forth Edition, Text Revised). I believe that book has already been mentioned in this thread. There is no single threshold for diagnosis of ALL mental disorders, because each has different causes and effects. Just like a cold and cancer are different, and will be treated differently.

Each disorder has a specific definition and threshold at which it can be diagnosed.

The reason there is a single book for all this, is that academic journal articles and studies in Psychology are being published all the time. (Here's Google Scholar, where you can research individual studies on anything you want. And then, with the abstract, you can contact your library to get the full text.) The DSM IV represents a statistical consensus of this body of constantly-growing knowledge. In short, it's in the DSM IV, because each mental disorder has different criteria and thresholds for diagnosis. Which is why you were referred to it in the first place, and, if you'd bothered to find it, there would have been very clear definitions and diagnostic thresholds for each and every disorder you were interested in. Psychiatric drugs are very powerful stuff, and that's why disorders need precise definitions and diagnostic criteria. You wouldn't go to a doctor for a cold, and then they just throw darts at a board, and give you chemotherapy for breast cancer, for the exact same reason. The reason psychiatric drugs exist, is precisely the same reason other drugs do - they work for treating the illness they are intended to treat.

Psychology applies the scientific method to the human mind and behaviour. For information on what the scientific method is, and how it works, either pass science class in a decent grade school, or here's a fantastic website -- UCMP Berkeley. I assume you understand what science is, and how it works. If not, PM me. In a nutshell, it's a tool, a method for discovering knowledge that can be used to predict interactions and outcomes.

As for the rest, it takes just a few seconds on WorldCat for you to search "DSM IV-TR" and get returns for any library near your postal code. There's even a separately-published book, Diagnostic Criteria from the DSM IV-TR, that compiles just the diagnostic criteria for any specific mental disorder in the DSM IV-TR.

You've been blathering endlessly about "relationship" and "love" yet for the want of just FIVE MINUTES' research - you were even given the title of the book with all the information you needed earlier - or a simple short phone call to a library, you choose to hold onto the kind of wilful ignorance which can kill people. The hypocrisy on display in this is simply breathtaking. At this point, YOU are the most compelling argument against your so-called God. With the Internet and libraries, at this point, ignorance is a choice. I don't care what you believe, I care about the consequences of your choices. I, too, am done here.

• Like 9

Whoa, that deteriorated fast. I left this thread before, because it was obvious End3 wasn't going to engage in any honest discussion, and I dropped in again because I just wanted to see where it went. And it went HERE. I don't even know what to say, I'm so angry.

It just so happens I'm in graduate school for a master's degree in Library and Information Science. I have four assignments due in 48 hours, at the end of this week, and I work full time (at a library), so I'm scrambling to keep ahead of the school-work before it buries me alive. I've also caught a very mild cold virus, on account of the stress probably. But this... THIS I'll make time for. This has got to be in the top ten most disgusting and morally offensive things I've ever seen happen. You don't treat people like that, End3. You just don't. Your ignorance can hurt other people - people like Brother Jeff, for instance - and, at some point, you choose to be ignorant. It's not about "belief" -- this is now about basic humanity, kindness, and compassion.

End3, information is literally my profession. The good Professor has kindly dropped you several perfectly serviceable links on depression and bipolar disorder. Staying awake in Psychology 101 in any college would have also gotten you the answers you want. Or, for that matter, asking a reference librarian at any public or academic library.

I will humour you, and be that reference librarian, for the question "how do psychologists diagnose disorders, and what are the definitions and criteria on which they operate?"

Let me introduce you to WorldCat.org -- this website is a combined catalogue for libraries all over the world. It is free to use, for anyone. If you want a book on any subject, you can use their search engine to find a copy of any book you want at the library closest to you. You can also contact your local public library, and request an inter-library loan (ILL) of a book from other libraries, too. There are even web-forms, for most public libraries' websites, for these purposes. Of course libraries also will allow you to request items that they have, and hold for you to pick up. Now that we have the basics out of the way, so that this cannot be excused if it happens again, here's the answer to your question:

I stayed awake in Psychology 101, so I know that the book that Psychologists use to define disorders - including the diagnostic threshold - is the DSM IV-TR (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Forth Edition, Text Revised). I believe that book has already been mentioned in this thread. There is no single threshold for diagnosis of ALL mental disorders, because each has different causes and effects. Just like a cold and cancer are different, and will be treated differently.

Each disorder has a specific definition and threshold at which it can be diagnosed.

The reason there is a single book for all this, is that academic journal articles and studies in Psychology are being published all the time. (Here's Google Scholar, where you can research individual studies on anything you want. And then, with the abstract, you can contact your library to get the full text.) The DSM IV represents a statistical consensus of this body of constantly-growing knowledge. In short, it's in the DSM IV, because each mental disorder has different criteria and thresholds for diagnosis. Which is why you were referred to it in the first place, and, if you'd bothered to find it, there would have been very clear definitions and diagnostic thresholds for each and every disorder you were interested in. Psychiatric drugs are very powerful stuff, and that's why disorders need precise definitions and diagnostic criteria. You wouldn't go to a doctor for a cold, and then they just throw darts at a board, and give you chemotherapy for breast cancer, for the exact same reason. The reason psychiatric drugs exist, is precisely the same reason other drugs do - they work for treating the illness they are intended to treat.

Psychology applies the scientific method to the human mind and behaviour. For information on what the scientific method is, and how it works, either pass science class in a decent grade school, or here's a fantastic website -- UCMP Berkeley. I assume you understand what science is, and how it works. If not, PM me. In a nutshell, it's a tool, a method for discovering knowledge that can be used to predict interactions and outcomes.

As for the rest, it takes just a few seconds on WorldCat for you to search "DSM IV-TR" and get returns for any library near your postal code. There's even a separately-published book, Diagnostic Criteria from the DSM IV-TR, that compiles just the diagnostic criteria for any specific mental disorder in the DSM IV-TR.

You've been blathering endlessly about "relationship" and "love" yet for the want of just FIVE MINUTES' research - you were even given the title of the book with all the information you needed earlier - or a simple short phone call to a library, you choose to hold onto the kind of wilful ignorance which can kill people. The hypocrisy on display in this is simply breathtaking. At this point, YOU are the most compelling argument against your so-called God. With the Internet and libraries, at this point, ignorance is a choice. I don't care what you believe, I care about the consequences of your choices. I, too, am done here.

Looking for the blood test, the definitive notion that our understanding is more than just a nuance of behavior....that an actual known mechanism is proven.

And then to claim legitimacy HOW? We notice this guy is hot and cold more than this guy?

All you high-powered science-wielding people quit blathering about "it's out there somewhere" and bring it to the table. Last time IIIIIIII looked, it was on the front page that there were no blood tests nor brain scans to diagnose bipolar at this time. And sweetheart you have no idea what kind of relationship I have with Jeff....do you?

Y'all are nothing but a mob.

Again , I am asking one of you to demonstrate normal from abnormal and what physiological mechanism do we have to discern this.

I've been on some of the wonderful brain meds you mention. They are a joke.

Moving right along

Jhn 17:10

All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them.

Another example of how relationships work to benefit.

Since End clearly wants to use the bible to prove the bible's contents:

Still another example of how (god instituted) relationships to work to benefit (god's chosen ones):

Lev:

25 The Lord said to Moses at Mount Sinai, “Speak to the Israelites and say to them:

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Yet still another example of how End's god establishes relationships for humans to follow:

Matt 10

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father,
    a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36     a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[c]

37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Yet still another example of how End's god establishes relationships for humans to follow:

Rev 14

14 I looked, and there before me was a white cloud, and seated on the cloud was one like a son of man[b] with a crown of gold on his head and a sharp sickle in his hand. 15 Then another angel came out of the temple and called in a loud voice to him who was sitting on the cloud, “Take your sickle and reap, because the time to reap has come, for the harvest of the earth is ripe.” 16 So he who was seated on the cloud swung his sickle over the earth, and the earth was harvested.

17 Another angel came out of the temple in heaven, and he too had a sharp sickle. 18 Still another angel, who had charge of the fire, came from the altar and called in a loud voice to him who had the sharp sickle, “Take your sharp sickle and gather the clusters of grapes from the earth’s vine, because its grapes are ripe.” 19 The angel swung his sickle on the earth, gathered its grapes and threw them into the great winepress of God’s wrath. 20 They were trampled in the winepress outside the city, and blood flowed out of the press, rising as high as the horses’ bridles for a distance of 1,600 stadia.[c]

End's god is good, and this is who he seeks for guidance, counsel, and emulates to the best of his ability.

A few more examples of how End's god establishes relationships between human beings:

Thanks be to jeshitwa for giving his followers these words to follow:

http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm

Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden.  When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death.  (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him.  Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you.  You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery.  And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.  (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

Suppose there are prophets among you, or those who have dreams about the future, and they promise you signs or miracles,  and the predicted signs or miracles take place.  If the prophets then say, 'Come, let us worship the gods of foreign nations,' do not listen to them.  The LORD your God is testing you to see if you love him with all your heart and soul.  Serve only the LORD your God and fear him alone.  Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him.  The false prophets or dreamers who try to lead you astray must be put to death, for they encourage rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of slavery in the land of Egypt.  Since they try to keep you from following the LORD your God, you must execute them to remove the evil from among you.  (Deuteronomy 13:1-5 NLT)

So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired.  As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies.  Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies.  So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever.  Amen.  That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires.  Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other.  And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other.  Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved.  When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done.  Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip.  They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful.  They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents.  They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving.  They are fully aware of God's death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway.  And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.  (Romans 1:24-32 NLT)

For the LORD had said to Moses, 'Exempt the tribe of Levi from the census; do not include them when you count the rest of the Israelites.  You must put the Levites in charge of the Tabernacle of the Covenant, along with its furnishings and equipment.  They must carry the Tabernacle and its equipment as you travel, and they must care for it and camp around it.  Whenever the Tabernacle is moved, the Levites will take it down and set it up again.  Anyone else who goes too near the Tabernacle will be executed.'  (Numbers 1:48-51 NLT)

And my favorite one:

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever.  It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy.  Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy.  Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community.  Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest.  I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.'  (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

Ok, in the instance of understanding....let's use me instead.

We notice that END comes in here happy sometimes and mean as shit sometimes.

So END goes to the psychologist and is looking for his problem.

What I understand happens through experience is END sits in front of a PhD and is diagnosed with something or not.

At no time was END directed to a laboratory to run a check for depression, bipolar, mania or any other mental issues.

So the threshold is defined HOW?

So we have approached it "scientifically" or statistically and have decided crazy END is 37% more an ass than the normal crowd?

Is this what we are calling "science"?

Do you people ever stop and wonder about the exceedingly "well behaved"? Is there some physiology that drives their behavior?

Bet you a zilllliooooon dollars there is.

AGAIN, so someone will please understand. WHAT'S THE NORM SCIENTIFICALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well END, we think that the thyroid and blah blah, and ....

EVEN THE GODDAMN PhD SAID THAT THE MEDS DIDN'T WORK THE SAME ON ALL PEOPLE. "END, you just have to keep looking for one that works well for you"

DOES this fucking sound like science has this in hand?

And then to place some threshold in there somewhere.

Go back to school EXC Booster....maybe you can teach someday.

We're all people, even ones with PHDs and/or MDs next to their name.

We have a lot of limitations.  If you really were a man who runs a lab, you'd know the scientific method is really just a method.

However, it's you who came to this board professing your god.  Your god who you professed is omnipotent.

When humans aren't able to help you with your shit, it might well be that we're not able to.

When your god isn't helping you despite you praying to him -and he's omnipotent-, then he's able to but just not willing.  Which of the two is evil?  

We're all people, even ones with PHDs and/or MDs next to their name.

We have a lot of limitations.  If you really were a man who runs a lab, you'd know the scientific method is really just a method.

Did you ever consider the reason we would want to treat each other with grace is specifically because of what you have just written?

That in order to validate their existence and shortcomings (sin), that we can either write rules for everyone to follow...like the Old Testament, or we could practice grace and love through a relationship? Sound familiar dumbass?