Goodbye Jesus

Former Atheist, Ask Me Anything

fschmidt

So what are your basic tenets? I have read the old testament many times over but since any written words can be interpreted in various ways, I would like to know some specific examples of what you believe in your own mind to be true/ good/ important. Is there a code that you live by?

• Super Moderator

Is that you, stevebennett?

No, who is stevebennett and why would you think I am him?

You just seem like a real fun guy.

• Like 2

So what are your basic tenets? I have read the old testament many times over but since any written words can be interpreted in various ways, I would like to know some specific examples of what you believe in your own mind to be true/ good/ important. Is there a code that you live by?

The best answer to this is to look over my website:

http://www.mikraite.org/

welcome to the forums. :)

i was brought up in a Christian home, left the faith a few years back, identified as an atheist...then came back to the faith now. My question for you is...do you follow Judaism, then? 

So, reading your link posted,

I guess you would not go with a lunch of oysters on the half shell.

I guess you would not go with a lunch of oysters on the half shell.

I would eat oysters.  see:

Diet

Basically, the reason God gives for not eating shellfish is because it was unclean.  It was unclean because it went bad quickly without refrigeration.  This has been solved and it is no longer unclean.

My question for you is...do you follow Judaism, then? 

No.  Most of modern Judaism is rabbinic Judaism which follows the Talmud, not the Old Testament.  I attended an Orthodox synagogue for about 2 years, so I understand Judaism quite well.  It is far from my view.  There is a tiny Jewish sect called Karaite Judaism which only follows the Old Testament.  This is closer to my view.

So, what is your view of Jesus?

Was he God?

welcome to the forums. smile.png

i was brought up in a Christian home, left the faith a few years back, identified as an atheist...then came back to the faith now. My question for you is...do you follow Judaism, then?

whoa whoa whoa there sweetheart....because you are an intelligent young lady, you don't get the authentic Christian label. Good god sexism is alive here at EX C. Every one of you should be ashamed.....ASHAMED!!

Was he God?

No, my view is just that Jesus was a very smart man who understood the Old Testament very well.  Everything that Jesus said, as recorded in the first 3 gospels, is consistent with the Old Testament.

whoa whoa whoa there sweetheart....because you are an intelligent young lady, you don't get the authentic Christian label. Good god sexism is alive here at EX C. Every one of you should be ashamed.....ASHAMED!!

Because you are a bastillion of logical, rational thought and we should recognize the greatness of your thinking?

I might be having a case of the dumb today, but what in the world are you trying to say here, End?

Was he God?

No, my view is just that Jesus was a very smart man who understood the Old Testament very well.  Everything that Jesus said, as recorded in the first 3 gospels, is consistent with the Old Testament.

Hi fschmidt, welcome to the forums.  How is you accept the first three Gospels? Do you accept all of them in their entirety, and if so, why not the rest of the N.T?

Hi fschmidt, welcome to the forums.  How is you accept the first three Gospels? Do you accept all of them in their entirety, and if so, why not the rest of the N.T?

I don't accept the Gospels.  I don't believe in miracles or in the resurrection.  I just think that the comments by Jesus as recorded there are very insightful.  I think the best way to understand Jesus is to spend a few months attending Orthodox synagogue.  Then you will understand who Jesus was debating with and why he was right.

Well, whatever works for you then, fschmidt, but why are you pushing whatever that is here?

So, in keeping with Leviticus, you believe homosexuals and adulterers (among many others) should be killed?

• Like 1

Well, whatever works for you then, fschmidt, but why are you pushing whatever that is here?

I don't want to push my beliefs here.  I just hope that ex-christians choose another moral religion.  That could be Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, or almost anything except Atheism and Satanism.  I am against evil, so if I can help steer ex-christians away from the two evil religions, then I think I am doing a good deed.

I don't want to push my beliefs here.  I just hope that ex-christians choose another moral religion.  That could be Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, or almost anything except Atheism and Satanism.  I am against evil, so if I can help steer ex-christians away from the two evil religions, then I think I am doing a good deed.

I'm not sure why you think Atheism is an evil religion. Atheism is a conclusion, not a religion. Satan usually goes away when Christianity goes away, so I don't think you'll find much Satanism here either.

You do know that in the O.T. Biblegod tells us that he created evil, right?   In Isaiah 45:7.  "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."  

ETA: You are here to steer Ex-Christians away from the two evil religions, but you aren't here to push your beliefs?  

• Like 1

I'm not sure why you think Atheism is an evil religion. Atheism is a conclusion, not a religion. Satan usually goes away when Christianity goes away, so I don't think you'll find much Satanism here either.

You do know that in the O.T. Biblegod tells us that he created evil, right?   In Isaiah 45:7.  "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."  

ETA: You are here to steer Ex-Christians away from the two evil religions, but you aren't here to push your beliefs?  

I explained why I consider Atheism to be evil earlier in this thread.  But here is a longer explanation:

What is "ETA"?

I pulled another double post. I need sleep.

I explained why I consider Atheism to be evil earlier in this thread.  But here is a longer explanation:

What is "ETA"?

"ETA" means edited to add. Plus, nuts to your linky. I want to hear what you have to say about what I said in your own words, if it's not too much trouble.

some secular branch of Buddhism is about the only morally acceptable religion in that list, besides Satanism. Clearly you know nothing about Islam. Like dude said, atheism isn't a religion, it's a conclusion from lack of evidence, and/or reason to believe in the existence of god/s. And I guess Hinduism varies depending on how seriously you take it.

http://thesatanictemple.com/faq

Added: http://thesatanictemple.com/about-us/tenets

I have a hard time finding anything to criticize with that. A bit inflammatory on the imagery, but hardly offensive to me at least.Though I'm not in the market for a religion, secular or not. Though the other half of me is a devout pastafarian and secretly a Cthulhu cultist, the noodly one is Cthulhu's public persona... Shhh, don't tell anyone.

• Like 1

Actually, fschmidt, IMO what you are doing here is pure evil.  You are asking that we lie to ourselves about what we believe.

I've already tried to be a believer.  I was christened in the United Church of Canada as an infant.  I read the Bible.  I went to Sunday School for a few months, then got bored and stopped going.

I have attended services for Christian Science, conservative Judaism, Jodo Shin Buddhism and Nichiren Buddhism.  On My own I have studied Zen, Taoism, Hinduism and Ásatrú.  I've even tried to learn the various languages associated with these beliefs, and have a basic understanding of Greek, Hebrew, Mandarin, Japanese, Sanskrit and Old Icelandic/Old Norse.

Guess what?  It.  Didn't. Take.  Despite over fifty years of trying, I cannot silence the internal voice that tells Me that it's all imaginary, and that the act of worship is self-deception.  I am an atheist because I realized that I could not testify under oath that gods were real.

I'm certainly not going to waste any more of My life pretending to believe.

And if I were you, I'd apologize PDQ for calling atheism (and by inference, atheists such as Myself) evil.  Slandering people you don't even know is not very nice at all.

• Like 3

Do you know what the word "evil" actually means?  You keep using it wrong.

What is "ETA"?

No, you didn't explain.  You made up an excuse when you couldn't back up your claims.  Maybe your religion has made you confused.

Looking at your link you clearly do not understand what atheism means.  You have confused anti-theism with atheism.  I happen to be an anti-theist.  Let me assure you that the vast majority of atheists are not anti-theist.  Most atheists are simply people who don't see a reason to believe in a god and have no strong view on it.  They are often called agnostics.  Furthermore you seem to have confused criticizing religion with attacking religion with evil.  Criticizing religion isn't evil.  And for the most part we don't hate God for the same reason that you don't hate the Easter Bunny.

http://www.mikraite.org/Atheism-tp103.html

What is "ETA"?

Read your long explanation and a number of items stood out to me.

1. You seem to claim that atheists don't know their bibles or haven't read them. I am the daughter of a preacher, went to church regularly from birth, and studied and memorized scripture in depth for the last 28 of my 47 years. I know my bible.

2. I do not call eastern religions atheist. I call them superstitious.

3. Atheism and nontheism are interchangeable. A- and non- both mean "without" or "lacking". Call me a nontheist if you want, I really don't care.

4. I cannot "hate" God because I cannot hate something that does not exist. I don't "hate" leprechauns, either!

5. I do not attack believers, I attack their beliefs. If they cannot differentiate between themselves and their beliefs, that is not my problem.

6. I do not blame all the worlds problems on god, because there is no God. I blame all the worlds problems on human nature.

7. I take full responsibility for my human nature and do the best I can to live peacefully with others and help them to live a good life. I don't blame anything on "Satan" or on the whims of a fickle God - THAT is failing to take responsibility!

8. You claim that this "long explanation" takes care of the question of atheists being evil. I did not find that to be the case. Please elaborate.

Lastly, you invited us to "ask anything". I asked a question earlier that you have failed to respond to. Did you not mean what you said?