Goodbye Jesus

Former Atheist, Ask Me Anything

fschmidt

So, I skimmed over the writings you told me to read hoping I would gain some clarity about your beliefs from them, and In some way I did, but what I was really looking for was a more condensed version If It isn't too much trouble. How do your beliefs come through in everyday life, In how you raise your children according to your principles, in how you interact with people in the street, co workers, what are some real life examples of what you consider stellar moral behavior,and its results, exemplified by yourself or others you know?  Specific examples of your morality that affect the interaction between two individuals.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

I am suspecting that there are a lot of father issues going on with this one. On a whole number of levels.

• Like 2

Your OP seemed to suggest that you think Atheism is, in some sense, objectively evil, and that it leads to behaviour which is objectively immoral. But perhaps this is not what you intended to say.

Thank you providing the link to the above. But now I'm confused. In the OP, you stated that Atheism is evil and that it leads to immorality. In the above, you state that morality is relative. Is your contention, then, that Atheism violates your morality? If that is the case, then I'd reply with "cool story, bro", and move right along. Lots of people have their own personal moral code, of which Atheism is a violation. Religious people really do exist, and I hardly think I go out on a limb when I say that everyone here already knows this.

In my view, there is no such thing as objective morality, so you can move right along on this topic.

On the other hand, I do have other objective claims.  I claim that the loss of serious religion correlates with the decay of a culture, and so anyone who is interested in being part of a rising culture really should join a serious religion.  Cultures only rise when they have a serious religion.

Godel's incompleteness theorem has a lot to do with deeper issues, but let's keep it light.

As Christians often do, you make up your own senses of words and then argue from premises based on them. Few will agree that a mature system of ethics is what you describe.

Are you intending to be funny, or did you do this by accident?  I mean clearly you must be redefining the word "mature" because no system of ethics on earth is more mature than that of the Old Testament since none is older.

As Christians often do, you make up your own senses of words and then argue from premises based on them. Few will agree that a mature system of ethics is what you describe.

Are you intending to be funny, or did you do this by accident?  I mean clearly you must be redefining the word "mature" because no system of ethics on earth is more mature than that of the Old Testament since none is older.

Heeheeheeheehee!  The Enûma Eliš is far older than the Old Testament.  Why are you not worshipping Auntie Tiamat? 58.gif

As for "mature," based on what I've read of the so-called ethics in the OT, I much prefer the word "primitive."

• Like 3

OOooooooooh! I've always wanted to talk to one of these! The Old Testament? For real?

Hang on here, I've got a list:

[...]

... this is getting kind of long, so I guess I'll have to stop here. It's all just some of the most pressing questions raised by Leviticus 19... So, why not just be Jewish? It seems like the Torah is more complete and authoritative. The Old Testament is really just a butchered version of it, anyway. Not to mention, you'd have a community and established precedent for dealing with such thorny issues.

I covered this here:

The Old Testament is about ethics, not laws.

Rabbinic Judaism is a mess.  The Talmud is an insane interpretation of the Old Testament.  If there was a Karaite synagogue in America outside of the people's republic of California, I would probably join, but there isn't.

So, I skimmed over the writings you told me to read hoping I would gain some clarity about your beliefs from them, and In some way I did, but what I was really looking for was a more condensed version If It isn't too much trouble. How do your beliefs come through in everyday life, In how you raise your children according to your principles, in how you interact with people in the street, co workers, what are some real life examples of what you consider stellar moral behavior,and its results, exemplified by yourself or others you know?  Specific examples of your morality that affect the interaction between two individuals.

Sure, I will answer this.  I believe, more than anything, in inductive reasoning.  So I have spent a lot of time studying history before reaching my conclusions.  I homeschooled my kids because modern liberal education does not provide enough critical thinking.  In teaching history, I force my kids to argue all sides of an issue by me taking each side in turn and forcing them to argue the other side.  I absolutely detest members of modern culture and I avoid them.  I work from home and rarely leave.  In business, I legally screw over members of modern culture to the best of my ability and I am quite wealthy as a result.  My morality is tribal and I bend over backwards for members of my religion.  We are currently looking for land in which to settle as a group in rural Texas.

There's some land in Waco that might still be available. 

• Like 2

Fschmidt, what would you do if one of your children rejected your beliefs and became an atheist?

Fschmidt, what would you do if one of your children rejected your beliefs and became an atheist?

I don't care about beliefs at all.  Even the "what is" page of my religion says that we accept Atheists.

On the other hand, if they got a tattoo, I would disown them.

You say you accept atheists, yet you consider their beliefs to be evil.  You also say that you would disown your child for a tattoo.  This must be some strange new definition of the word "acceptance" that I was not previously aware of.

• Like 2

I don't care about beliefs at all.  Even the "what is" page of my religion says that we accept Atheists.

On the other hand, if they got a tattoo, I would disown them.

You're OK with genocide, but not with tats?  Seems reasonable.  To you.  I'll look for you in the news someday.

• Like 2

I homeschooled my kids because modern liberal education does not provide enough critical thinking. 

I really wish you had not done that.  It wasn't fair or kind to your children.  

• Like 2

I homeschooled my kids because modern liberal education does not provide enough critical thinking. 

I really wish you had not done that.  It wasn't fair or kind to your children.  

I agree, MM.

When a guy says this: "I mean clearly you must be redefining the word "mature" because no system of ethics on earth is more mature than that of the Old Testament since none is older.", he not only doesn't know history, but also seems to assume that the older, the more mature.

I hope in their compound in Texas, if they get one, they don't go to drilling holes in people's heads to let the demons out. That's older than modern medicine, so it must be the more mature method.

Poor kids.

• Like 3

My question is how can you believe in the Bible when there is no original Bible and all we have is copies of copies of copies and thousands and thousands of errors?

Blessed are those with patience,

For they shall provide sustenance for trolls.

Your OP seemed to suggest that you think Atheism is, in some sense, objectively evil, and that it leads to behaviour which is objectively immoral. But perhaps this is not what you intended to say.

Thank you providing the link to the above. But now I'm confused. In the OP, you stated that Atheism is evil and that it leads to immorality. In the above, you state that morality is relative. Is your contention, then, that Atheism violates your morality? If that is the case, then I'd reply with "cool story, bro", and move right along. Lots of people have their own personal moral code, of which Atheism is a violation. Religious people really do exist, and I hardly think I go out on a limb when I say that everyone here already knows this.

In my view, there is no such thing as objective morality, so you can move right along on this topic.

On the other hand, I do have other objective claims.  I claim that the loss of serious religion correlates with the decay of a culture, and so anyone who is interested in being part of a rising culture really should join a serious religion.  Cultures only rise when they have a serious religion.

Godel's incompleteness theorem has a lot to do with deeper issues, but let's keep it light.

So your contention boils down to the following:

1) I find atheism distasteful.

2) Cultures generally become more atheistic as they move into decline.

3) We should all behave as if the correlation identified in #2 is a causal link, because I say so.

I asked you for an argument justifying #3. Your failure to present one is noted.

Our modern Western culture that has created smart phones, GPS, the internet, medicine and all the other things we enjoy is in decline.  Instead we should emulate a culture that didn't know where the sun hides at night.

• Like 4

If we all become Sadducees or something, we'll ride on to one military victory after another. And the captive women, whose men we killed, will bring us beers. Oh, wait... maybe beer is one of the customs of the Egyptians condemned in Leviticus 18:3.

Guest Furball

The rest of your post is just insults and lies, nothing worth responding to.

So you coming in here and calling me, an atheist, evil is not an insult?

So me using facts and giving you the link is telling lies? 

Here let me try this again, please read my next post.

Guest Furball

Opening Title states the following:

FORMER ATHEIST/ASK ME ANYTHING

Never mind the fact that you arrogantly came on here calling me evil and then getting upset because I defended myself and proved you wrong. 

So as an atheist my typical day is as follows (my question will be at the end)

I work

Pay Taxes

Pay Bills

Visit My Mother-Caring for her needs and helping her out in her old age

Daily Donate Money To Help The Poor 

I sponsor A Child In A third World Country

And I Buy Food And Give Money to Homeless people On The Streets

So my question is, me being an atheist, How is living my life as stated above EVIL and IMMORAL?

• Like 3

Guest Furball

Oh and by the way, the lions den rules state the following: Note: In view of the fiery nature of the discussions which occur in the Lion's Den, only those with a fairly thick skin should participate. 

If you're going to come in here and start pushing people around with your beliefs, you better man up and get ready to be pushed back. Don't call me names like evil because i am an ex-c who is now an atheist and try and push your pathetic immoral god and your mind raping religion on me. I will defend myself in here. 

• Like 3

Sure, I will answer this.  I believe, more than anything, in inductive reasoning.  So I have spent a lot of time studying history before reaching my conclusions.  I homeschooled my kids because modern liberal education does not provide enough critical thinking.  In teaching history, I force my kids to argue all sides of an issue by me taking each side in turn and forcing them to argue the other side.  I absolutely detest members of modern culture and I avoid them.  I work from home and rarely leave.  In business, I legally screw over members of modern culture to the best of my ability and I am quite wealthy as a result.  My morality is tribal and I bend over backwards for members of my religion.  We are currently looking for land in which to settle as a group in rural Texas.

Troll rating spikes, credibility tanks.

• Like 1

I get wanting to believe this guy is a troll, but if he is, he has crafted one hell of a cover for this act. I have a hard time just calling troll in this case...