Goodbye Jesus

How Long Have You Been Out Of Christianity?

DoubleDee

I've been mostly out of the church for the last 9 or 10 years, but out of Christianity? Only a few months. Perhaps...maybe 6? Like a lot of people on here I think, it's been a process.

Hello. This is my first post. I have been out of Christianity for 12 years. Even though this is true; I still struggle with the afteraffects of having believed. I am 44 years old and was born into a severly religiously addictive and abusive family. My father believed in both christianity and masonism. It's clear to see how everyone in my family from my mother down to my youngest brother were innocent by standers who were brain washed against our will to swallow and believe this garbage. I can hardly put into words just how severly affected I was. Some times I wonder if I'll ever fully recover. I cannot go into detail right now because it will take all night to tell my story. But as soon as I can set asside some time I will tell it because I want to help as many confused christians as possible to snap out of this horrible mess. Thank goodness we now have some place to go to be able to put a name to what's been wrong with us all these years. Now is a chance to fully recover and discover ourselves.

Welcome to the forums Normal02! I hope you will hang around here, and eventually tell us your story. A lot of us will never fully recover, but we are all here together. This is a safe place to write about it and it does help, I can assure you.

Reading all your stories I feel like I took a shortcut. Around 6 months ago, I started doubting my faith. I stopped going to church and I started investigating the paranormal claims of christianity. Around a month ago, I realized I was practically atheist. Being quite proud of myself, I accepted this and went on with my life. What might have helped is that I never had an emotional connection to my church or community.

• 3 weeks later...

10 years. Recently had a run in with a fundamentalist christian that made me realize I'm not as over some of the anger and hurt as i thought I was. it's hard for me to discuss it with Christians without getting upset. Yet, at the end of the day I was still able to respect his right to follow his spiritual path, even though I think it's unintelligent and morally problematic. I'm sure others think some of my views are stupid, too. But even with that anger/upset, coming back to rational about it so quickly let me know that even if it still causes me some pain when it gets brought up, I'm a lot better than I was.

• 2 weeks later...

6 years now, but still haven't recovered :(

6 years now, but still haven't recovered sad.png

You'll get there. It just takes time. And I think it can be an ongoing process for everybody, but it gets better.

Huh, thanks, badpuppy! :)

• 2 weeks later...

About 27 years. Left in my late teens from Roman Catholicism.

I have been questioning and learning; accepting the truth of my denial and delusion for the past year now.

I think that I finally was able to "break out of the mold" sometime in August/Sept...about 5 months ago.

It was a few months ago that I realized that I did not feel comfortable calling myself "a christian" anymore

and in the past month; the term "EX-christian" surprisingly seems to fit and not make me cringe.

I am happy to have found this site; this is the "personal work" that I needed to focus on at this time...and I am ready to do that now.

Thanks!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm...struggling for a while but I guess...not sure...kinda scared to admit it to myself...

three years for me not including a drift period of bout a year as a christian while never praying or bible reading,church etc.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been about two years, officially, since I left Christianity. I can't pinpoint an exact date, since, like so many others have posted, it was a gradual change. I started having doubts about 6 years ago. So, in all, it took about 4 years for me to really 'deconvert' from Christianity.

First rejected Abraham's god on my own when I was 14, openly pagan since 17. Never been baptized, and I sometimes wonder if deep down, I ever really bought it. But I did try to.

In any case, I've been some sort of heathen or another for 13 years, known as one for 10. Life is much easier when you don't have to lie, especially to yourself.

About 20 years. I deconverted in the early 90s and haven't regretted it or looked back since. I've been a heathen for about 10. Strange how fast time flies.

• 3 weeks later...

eight days I think. roughly. what a frikkin' week. I can do without another one of those.

• 3 weeks later...

I started the deconversion process SLOWLY about a year ago; I KNEW that I was NO LONGER A CHRISTIAN in August so it has been about 8 months of free thinking, free feeling and open minded nonreligious living since then. My Love is agnostic as well; we are able to talk more easily about religion now that he is not worried that I want to "convert" him. I realized that I "kept the face" more for my mom and she passed in Sept...welcome to our newbies. This is a WONDERFUL life; and to those who are giving you any grief over your "new found UNbelief, if they don't have it, they can't understand it.

Can't wait to see it :) Welcome to the site.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow how time flies, I started this thread 6 years ago!. When I left Christianity, 8 years ago, my husband was still a Christian until about a year and a half ago. I can't say I caused his de-conversion but will admit to being a catalyst. He took a very different route out of the insanity and now he's a true blue atheist debating Christians woohoo.gif

• Like 1

DD - It's good to hear such a happy ending!

Wow how time flies, I started this thread 6 years ago!. When I left Christianity, 8 years ago, my husband was still a Christian until about a year and a half ago. I can't say I caused his de-conversion but will admit to being a catalyst. He took a very different route out of the insanity and now he's a true blue atheist debating Christians woohoo.gif

You were the voice of reason and a sounding board for what he could not say to anyone else...good for you!!!

I only stopped believing in December 2011, although I had stopped attending church regularly in the spring of 2010. I was never a full-on xtian though, and I had always taken much of it with a healthy pinch of salt.

Hey Double Dee good to hear the update, thanks for filling us in. I'm glad that your husband has gotten out, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not having read all 22 pages of this thread, I'm sure I'm missing a few things. But, it's been over 10 years for me without any regrets or looking back, other than possibly the way I came out. Some of the fundy came with me into non-theism, but that faded in time, as well. That being said, however, I'm enjoying and appreciating life far more than I did then, and astronomy and science in general became FAR more fascinating since I dropped the shackles.

I left church about a year and a half ago, I should have left long before then, but I still had belief so I tolerated going to church. Towards the end going to church would put me in a bad mood and I HATED listening to sermons. When I finally decided I had enough I told my Mother and Brother that I wasn't going to church, I think it was on a Sunday before a service. They were fine, and they've recently stopped going too, my brother is gay and had been trying to fight it for 5 years which of course didn't work. I've been much happier since I left, and looking back, I had 7 years full of one horrible shitty thing after another happening, and it started not even a year after I got into the church. Now that I'm out everything is good again!

My new 'best friend' is my motorcycle :Dcloud9_99.gif

A motorcycle is an awesome friend to have. Welcome! (And I hope your brother gets out of that horrible religion so he can stop fighting himself like that.)