Goodbye Jesus

Brother Mario

Brothermario

I DID NOT say you were a danger to your family.  Can you explain why you remembered it that way?  Go back and read the post.  I was concerned that you had caused problems for your family.  Please explain the misinterpretation. 

9 hours ago, Brothermario said:

I’ve been telling skeptics on forums for over a decade the same true story about God I’ve told here.

What could be a better goal than to simply tell the truth?

Thanks for answering the question, that clarifies things a lot.  The thoughts of evangelising for god are well known here, this is one audience that absolutely gets it.  Many of the people here have done exactly that for decades, if not the majority of their lives.  When you say:

1 hour ago, Brothermario said:

I’ve written so much about God you’ve never heard or considered before.

You show a lack of understanding of the audience, as most of us have heard these types of things many times before (religious experiences, success at life, life changing events, absolute certainty of beliefs).  I really don't think you've said anything that is unique.  These same discussion points haven't been convincing previously and are not convincing now.

One big problem with religious experiences is that they are not religion specific.  There are Jews who deny Jesus and still have such experiences, Muslims who follow a different prophet and have religious experiences, Mormons, JW's, Hindu's, in fact I have little doubt if you go back to ancient times you would find people with religious experiences of Zeus, who are absolutely convinced they are correct.  These religions are mutually exclusive, with some being polytheistic, while many deny both Jesus and the bible.  At best, it must be seen that these experiences are wrong the majority of the time.  So with that in mind, why should anyone accept one religious experience over another?

The same lack of specific religion goes for success at life (atheists, Muslims, Jews, Scientologists, etc can all have long, fruitful, happy lives) and for the negative aspects too (we all have the same rates of crime, illness, loss and accidents).  The world's richest man and greatest philanthropist is an atheist, so success without religion is readily apparent.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

Braggadocio, enjoy your time off.

20210105_134524.jpg

• Confused 1

It just occurred to me, I think this is the first time I have seen a thread started about one's self.

4 hours ago, Brothermario said:

It seems logically fallacious to me.

The best you can do in reply is make a play on my name?

Folks BortherMario and I are in agreement on one thing. This discussion is pointless. There appears to be no genuine attempt at convincing us of his God, rather its a mess of insult and self superiority. 

Might be time to end this thread unless ya'll have a burning itch to scratch? 

13 minutes ago, Weezer said:

It just occurred to me, I think this is the first time I have seen a thread started about one's self.

Self proclaimed importance, egotistical, superiority complex, responds with insults... where have we seen this before? 

28 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

The best you can do in reply is make a play on my name?

Folks BortherMario and I are in agreement on one thing. This discussion is pointless. There appears to be no genuine attempt at convincing us of his God, rather its a mess of insult and self superiority. 

Might be time to end this thread unless ya'll have a burning itch to scratch? 

LogicalFallacy,

Brothermario now knows that the philosophically correct thing for him to do is to provide evidence supporting his claim to have had a true experience of god.

Therefore, could this thread please stay open a little while longer, so that he can do this?

Thank you.

Walter.

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Self proclaimed importance, egotistical, superiority complex, responds with insults... where have we seen this before? 

Precisely why I avoid mirrors.  😁

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Precisely why I avoid mirrors.  😁

Awww Prof I was thinking of someone else. But who am I to determine how you identify? 😆

39 minutes ago, WalterP said:

LogicalFallacy,

Brothermario now knows that the philosophically correct thing for him to do is to provide evidence supporting his claim to have had a true experience of god.

Therefore, could this thread please stay open a little while longer, so that he can do this?

Thank you.

Walter.

Sure. I'm sure we will watch with great interest. Let me grab my popcorn. I also might grab a rum and coke.

On 1/4/2021 at 8:36 AM, Brothermario said:

Josh, you snuck in as true a very debatable concept—“pure mystery”.

I’m not mystified by the great questions. I don’t know with complete understanding how God does what he does, but I know he’s the one doing it. The fly in the ointment making the mystery of God impure is the greatness of God himself. Our ability to know and understand God is not nonexistent, just limited according to each person’s talent and willingness to develop this ability.

And the universe having an outer edge is the logical position, not an “infinite cosmos”.

This is largely incorrect, though. There's no fixed boundary of the universe in modern cosmological thinking. You are speaking from a somewhat outdated way of considering the universe. Which I'm sure Walter has pointed out by now. I'll have to read further. Singularity theory was done by the time frame of the 90's, as well. Finding a positive cosmological constant pretty much did the singularity theory in. And is still seldom understood or known by apologists, protestant or otherwise. 

Now as to pure mystery, when addressing that which is infinite and eternal we're looking at a mystery of no fathomable beginning or end. That which simply exists. And it's the unbound cosmos. If you don't understand the problems associated with trying to 'bind the cosmos,' then this may not be easy to follow.

It's not as if there's a fixed boundary line circling the known universe, where on this side is the natural universe, and on the other side is a supernatural realm, or heaven, or what-have-you. Understanding the scientific problem with making that assertion can bring the issue into greater focus, however. 

There's a point where claiming an infinite and eternal god, when understood in the terms I've been describing, no longer can be achieved through a monotheistic framework. It necessarily has to graduate further into some type of panentheism or just pantheistic philosophical framework. Because that which is asserted to be beyond finite becomes the realm itself. The realm of existence with no boundary, beginning, nor end.

A god which is claimed not to be "all," is then necessarily 'not omnipresent' nor 'infinite and eternal' for that matter. It would be something less that the full blown "all," or totality, therefore something less than omnipresent, infinite and eteral, and the rest. 

This is a big problem for monotheistic thinkers of any creed - catholic, protestant, mystical, orthodox or otherwise.....

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, WalterP said:

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Sure. I'm sure we will watch with great interest. Let me grab my popcorn. I also might grab a rum and coke.

I wouldn't get y'all's hopes up, if I was y'all.  Brothermario ain't with us no more.  As it happens, though, I also have 2 college degrees, one of which is also in English.  If y'all would like, I can hurl insults at you for three paragraphs and then tell you it's your own fault for not having the exact same experience I had.

• Haha 3

• Super Moderator
29 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I wouldn't get y'all's hopes up, if I was y'all.  Brothermario ain't with us no more.  As it happens, though, I also have 2 college degrees, one of which is also in English.  If y'all would like, I can hurl insults at you for three paragraphs and then tell you it's your own fault for not having the exact same experience I had.

Y'all sure about that there English degree?

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
12 minutes ago, florduh said:

Y'all sure about that there English degree?

We's as sure of it as we is about Braggadocio's 50+ women friends.

• Haha 2

Alas, we morn the loss of Brother Mario. In the name of the father the son and the holy spook do we commend his forum profile. AMEN.

• Super Moderator

It just ain't the same without him. 🤪

• Super Moderator
10 minutes ago, florduh said:

It just ain't the same without him. 🤪

To the untrained intellect attached to a personality, I'm sure it ain't; but if you'd had the exact same experience as me, you'd know differently. 

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
4 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

To the untrained intellect attached to a personality, I'm sure it ain't; but if you'd had the exact same experience as me, you'd know differently. 

I went to university, trade school and have a doctorate in theology, so STFU, peon. You don't need to call me doctor, though. I'm not an egomaniac.

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
42 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Alas, we morn the loss of Brother Mario. In the name of the father the son and the holy spook do we commend his forum profile. AMEN.

He was a papist.  The proper term is "in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti."

5 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

A rum and coke? I'll second that! Now we're talking about something both good and real 😛

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

He was a papist.  The proper term is "in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti."

"in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti." In the name of the father, and son, and holy spirit, make the sign of the cross, up, down, left, right on your chest.  This is the sign of the cross and of the trinity. The trinity is the belief of the Catholics (including Brothermario so as not to get too far off topic) and many other Christian faiths.

At the time of Constantine and the formation of the Christian bible there was a movement called Aryanism. It asserted that Jesus was the son of God, but not God himself.  Constantine instructed the Council of Nicaea to reject Aryanism since it would imply polytheism in his view. So the Council proclaimed God as a trinity, a three in one God, rather than separate entities.

Although Arianism and the word Aryan have different roots, the Nazis found a way to intermix their meanings. Showing-off my proud sacrilegious impiety below:

As to the Aryans and the Nazis:

“Was Jesus a Nazi? During the Third Reich, German Protestant (Lutheran) theologians, motivated by racism and tapping into traditional Christian anti-Semitism, redefined Jesus as an Aryan and Christianity as a religion at war with Judaism. In 1939, these theologians established the Institute for the Study and Eradication of Jewish Influence on German Religious Life….,” as explained in her book “The Aryan Jesus,” by Susannah Heschel.

https://www.amazon.com/Aryan-Jesus-Christian-Theologians-Germany/dp/0691148058

I am thinking that perhaps, in his mind, he won.  Not as big as in giving him attention (which narcissist crave) (be it positive, or negative) by continuing to argue with him, but in a smaller way he won because he also enjoys frustrating people.  So in a sense he won, because in his mind he was successful in frustrating us to the point of banning him.  Perhaps the only way to "win" with him would have been to completely ignore him. 

I do think the post of the crying child probably got under his skin.  That was hitting close to home.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pantheory said:

"in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti." In the name of the father, and son, and holy spirit, make the sign of the cross, up, down, left, right on your chest.  This is the sign of the trinity. The trinity is the belief of the Catholics (including Brothermario so as not to get too far off topic) and many other Christian faiths.

At the time of Constantine and the formation of the Christian bible there was a movement called Aryanism. It asserted that Jesus was the son of God, but not God himself.  Constantine instructed the Council of NIcaea to reject Aryanism since it would imply polytheism in his view.  So the Council proclaimed God as a trinity, a three in one God, rather than separate entities.

Showing-off my proud sacrilegious impiety below:  

As to the Aryans and the Nazis:

“Was Jesus a Nazi? During the Third Reich, German Protestant (Lutheran) theologians, motivated by racism and tapping into traditional Christian anti-Semitism, redefined Jesus as an Aryan and Christianity as a religion at war with Judaism. In 1939, these theologians established the Institute for the Study and Eradication of Jewish Influence on German Religious Life….,” as explained in her book “The Aryan Jesus,” by Susannah Heschel.

https://www.amazon.com/Aryan-Jesus-Christian-Theologians-Germany/dp/0691148058

Interesting.  I see some logic there.  Is it true that the Catholics gave Hitler very little resistance?

Just now, Weezer said:

Interesting.  I see some logic there.  Is it true that the Catholics gave Hitler very little resistance?

No idea. I'll look it up and get back to you :)

• Super Moderator

He bragged about getting kicked off every forum he ever infested. We're in good company.

• Haha 1