Goodbye Jesus

The Death Penalty

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

We have already established that it costs much more to put someone on death row and kill them than it costs to hold a prisoner for life. Costs could be reduced, but at the cost of more mistaken convictions.

that's easily fixed, you get convicted you have 6 months to file an appeal then they take you out back and put a bullet in your head.

We do, if we want to, have the power to give the criminal's family a break on the pain that the criminal has already sentenced them with.

well what about the pain of the victim's family? are they less important?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Asimov

• Ouroboros

• Biggles7268

• pandora

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu
that's easily fixed, you get convicted you have 6 months to file an appeal then they take you out back and put a bullet in your head.

Yes, this is an excellent solution. Far more expediant and so viscerally satisfyin.....what? You mean there are still innocent people convincted of crimes for which we feel we have the authority to execute them? Surely that's just some leftist myth?! Surely I can feel comfortable endorsing the death penalty without ever actually considering the lives it takes! SURELY!

Maybe, biggles, you might want to spend 3 minutes trying to imagine what it's like to be an innocent waiting to die at the hands of your own government. I know that such an exercise seems totally unrelated to the issue, for some. It is not.

well what about the pain of the victim's family? are they less important?

Are they MORE important is the question. If they are more important, are they more important to the tune of making another family watch the death of their child? Why?

(cynical)

Why 6 months? If convicted, the person is guilty, so why not have an immediate mandatory execution for every guilty verdict? That will save money, and put many attorneys out of a job. Heck, attorneys are criminals too. This would reduce crimes quite a bit. Many "innocent" would be executed, that's true, but that's the price we have to pay for "freedom".

(end cynical) ;)

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

criminals are like a cancer on society, some of the lesser ones can be cured with therapy but the worst of them need to be cut out plain and simple.

You seem to speak with authority, biggles. Lead us. Whom should we as a society kill? "evil people" isn't an adequate response. Please be more specific.

on the other hand though, our government can't be trusted to decide who deserves the death penalty and who doesn't,

It's plain as day, so the fact that you see it isn't exactly laudable.

the justice system as it is now is broken.

Maybe it's our concept of what justice is that's broken. Maybe none of us have even stood next to justice for 1 second in out lives. Maybe none of us have any right to make any fucking golden tablets. As long as humanity is in the mix we will never have the authority to justify executions.

there is something wrong with a system that classifies drug use as a worse offense than rape or child molestation.

I agree.

(cynical)

Why 6 months? If convicted, the person is guilty, so why not have an immediate mandatory execution for every guilty verdict? That will save money, and put many attorneys out of a job. Heck, attorneys are criminals too. This would reduce crimes quite a bit. Many "innocent" would be executed, that's true, but that's the price we have to pay for "freedom".

(end cynical) ;)

:HaHa:

Actually, I think they're working on a law that makes a person who copies movies or music be punished harder than drug users and child molesters. Welcome to the new world. Next thing is death penalty for copying an mp3.

Actually, I think they're working on a law that makes a person who copies movies or music be punished harder than drug users and child molesters. Welcome to the new world. Next thing is death penalty for copying an mp3.

Crimes against corporations should be punished without mercy. They contribute more money to the political vehicle therefore they deserve more justice. Right? :twitch:

Crimes against corporations should be punished without mercy. They contribute more money to the political vehicle therefore they deserve more justice. Right? :twitch:

Absolutely! :) Let's remove all laws regarding crimes against other people, and only establish laws against corporations. ... wouldn't that be an interesting concept? :ugh:

One might ask, where does the money really come from that these corporations have to give to the government? :scratch: The workers have nothing to do with it, right? :Hmm:

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

It's all so goddamned exhausting, isn't it? I just want to live on an island somewhere. Seriously.

An island sounds good.

I keep on telling people I wish they could hurry up with the rockets to Mars. To start new settlements, and establish a "country" based on The Constitution ver 2.0. The first paragraph would be "we the people, DO FUCKING NOT BELIEVE IN ANY GOD, just so that's clear before we continue..."

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

I'll buy a ticket. Except it's gonna be awhile before there are luxury quarters on Mars. A long while.

I'll buy a ticket. Except it's gonna be awhile before there are luxury quarters on Mars. A long while.
Bullshit! I saw Total Recall. They're there already. :loser:

:HaHa:

You seem to speak with authority, biggles. Lead us. Whom should we as a society kill? "evil people" isn't an adequate response. Please be more specific.

this guy got 9 years for what he did, do you think that's fair considering the crime?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4743354.stm

i used to work with a guy who chopped his wife to pieces with a butcher knife. he did 20 years, now he's free and walking the streets but his wife is still dead.

how about this stellar example of humanity, his family was probably annoying and deserved what they got right?

http://wireservice.wired.com/wired/story.a...storyId=1529976

someone who would rape an 11 year old girl and then try and have her killed so she can't testify in court, aww hell he just needs a little therapy.

http://www.topix.net/content/kri/388217911...804750869631926

http://www.wyowtv34.com/news/full_story.php?id=40619

are you getting the picture of the kind of people i'm talking about yet?

Maybe, biggles, you might want to spend 3 minutes trying to imagine what it's like to be an innocent waiting to die at the hands of your own government. I know that such an exercise seems totally unrelated to the issue, for some. It is not.

I'm not talking about innocent people, I'm not talking about people where there is doubt about their guilt or innocence. maybe you should spend 3 minutes and try to imagine what it's like to be a victim of one of these horrendous crimes. oh right i forgot fuck the victims, we gotta make sure the child molesters, rapists, and murderers are treated with compassion. it's not their fault after all it's society, or rap music, or video games... anything but their own fault.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu
how about this stellar example of humanity, his family was probably annoying and deserved what they got right?

Should I take this seriously or do you need me to let this one slide, jackass.

I gotta agree with mah'bro, Biggles, this time around.

I know what's up with that. My wife's sister was brutally murdered. I've seen the trauma up close and personal.

The dude was up for parole after 15 years.

Get this...

He didn't want out.

He stayed in and is up for parole again in 2015, I think.

Should I take this seriously or do you need me to let this one slide, jackass.

:lmao: Oh shit!

They don't call him Bad Linky Biggles for nothin'! :lmao:

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu
are you getting the picture of the kind of people i'm talking about yet?

Do you honestly think I arrived at my opinion without seeing just this kind of thing? Are you getting the picture that someone might still disagree with you inspite of whatever emotionally manipulative media you can produce?

oh right i forgot fuck the victims.

I think you're missing the issue here, Biggles...Shiva et al. recognize that the current system of justice is a little arbitrary and baseless. That's not the issue. The issue is if execution is justified over life-time imprisonment.

Correct.

There are two issues at hand:

1. Is there anyone that would deserve (as punishment or as protection for society) to be put to death?

2. If there is, how do we decide who deserve this punishment?

My opinion about #1 is, yes there are some that deserve it, as protection, but not as punishment.

About #2 though, there's a problem with the system. We can't guarantee that this "someone" is a someone that deserve the penalty.

So therefore, death penalty is extremely risky.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

You guys are far more civilised than I am. Although, I guess you didn't just have some shitdick tell you that you didn't care about the victims of crime to make his tenuous point.

I never thought you did Shiva.

You guys are far more civilised than I am. Although, I guess you didn't just have some shitdick tell you that you didn't care about the victims of crime to make his tenuous point.

:lmao: shitdick...

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

If I can get through one online conversation without someone resorting to ridiculous hyperbole then I'll be happy. It ain't gonna happen talkin to biggups.

Just keep on trying. :)

If I can get through one online conversation without someone resorting to ridiculous hyperbole then I'll be happy. It ain't gonna happen talkin to biggups.

Well maybe you shouldn't be arguing that baby-eating rapists should be let free after 3 months in the clink with Hi-Def TV and an Xbox.