Lyra

Christians: Why would an all-good God base our salvation from Hell on whether or not we believe in a 2,000-year-old supernatural story?

659 posts in this topic

Says somebody who claims that god meant "spiritual" death when he said, "thou shalt surely die".  Guess we both fucked up, huh?

No, just you.

Stranger

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

I have already given it to you.

Stranger

From genesis?  I must have missed that.  Quote it again.

No, just you.

Stranger

Hmm... I'm bored of you.  Have a good day.

From genesis?  I must have missed that.  Quote it again.

Go back and reread.

Stranger

Hmm... I'm bored of you.  Have a good day.

Yourself

Stranger

The New Testament is Jewish Scripture also.

Not in the eyes of Judaism.  What you have there is nothing more than fan fiction loosely based on Judaism -- with Paul the Antichrist as the author, and Jesus playing the role of Mary Sue.

That is what I said.  You opted for the wisdom of the world.

If that's the way you want to put it. You keep believing in a book that's clearly wrong then. The fantasy gives you comfort. Let us not take that from you.

Again, that is an assumption.

No it's not. If your faith is reliable you would be able to show it. That you can't shows its not reliable. That's demonstrable not an assumption.

If I remind you of you, then I would abandon the faith also.  When I do, then you can say I remind you of you.   Until then...I don't.

You clearly have comprehension problems. My grandfather reminds me of me, but I don't do EVERYTHING he does. But he still reminds me of me, and you remind me of me WHEN I was a Christian. Saying I don't remind you of me is pointless. You could remind me of a pink daisy, and saying "no you don't" is pointless because you do. Understand? Happy now?

If you couldn't ignore so called evidence against the Bible, then you never came by faith. 

I did ignore evidence... for 32 years. Then I found out that ignoring evidence was ignoring reality and dishonest. I value honesty and integrity so I searched for evidence the bible is true and found none. If faith is ignoring everything to believe in a fantasy then I don't want faith, and you just proved that faith not being a reliable path to truth is not an assumption. Its fact.

I am aware of bias...yet I still believe.

I would have never guessed... I really thought you were coming round and understanding what we are saying.

What I said was you err because you trust what science says as final conclusions.  And they are not.  They are conclusions at this time only.   Open for change. 

*Sigh* Stranger, you need to working on reading comprehension. I just told you I don't trust or expect science as final conclusions. You saying that I do trust science as final shows how arrogant and asinine you are.

You assume the Book is imaginary.  

*Wall please* :banghead: Thank you.

Show me where I said the book is imaginary. Your reading comprehension is shocking! We can't even have a simple conversation.

*doesn't visit the board for two days*

*comes to visit this thread and sees ten new pages*

Holy shiiiiiit. This is some of the most ignorant, incomprehensible crap I've ever seen. I agree with Florduh's earlier post. This is freaking depressing if this is your true mindset and way of looking at reason, Stranger.

It gets more depressing daily. The upside is that it is just this kind of demonstration of "faith" that serves to instruct lurkers on what the religion does to people. It rots their brain.

1 person likes this