Goodbye Jesus

Atheism Is For The Weak

InspectoGeneral

God has spoken to you willy. It is called the Bible. If you heard an audible voice, you would wonder if you were just hearing things. And after the voice was gone, you would wonder if it was real. The Bible is much better than a spoken voice.

The bible is a book. It is written by men. Why should I believe the bible over other religious texts; say, the Kojiki? Or the Bhagavad Gita? Or the Cath Maige Tuired? Or the Tanakh? Or the Rig Veda? What makes the bible any different from any other religious text?

If you care to read II Peter Chapter one, it speaks to this.

External evidence points most strongly to the inauthenticity of II Peter. If II Peter is authentic, then both epistles are authentic and both addressed themselves to the same church and were sent at approximately the same time (Peter's stay in Rome). Thus, it is most reasonable to assume that the two authentic epistles of Peter would have circulated together. However, the external evidence reveals that several early writers have knowledge only of I Peter, and this tells against the authenticity of II Peter.

It seems "God" should have been editing his "Good book."

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InspectoGeneral

• Amanda

• Ouroboros

• Lightbearer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

External evidence points most strongly to the inauthenticity of II Peter. If II Peter is authentic, then both epistles are authentic and both addressed themselves to the same church and were sent at approximately the same time (Peter's stay in Rome). Thus, it is most reasonable to assume that the two authentic epistles of Peter would have circulated together. However, the external evidence reveals that several early writers have knowledge only of I Peter, and this tells against the authenticity of II Peter.

It seems "God" should have been editing his "Good book."

2nd Peter was the last book in the NT to be written, it was written approximately between 140 and 155 C. E. Long after the supposed Apostle had died. Of all the books that were canonized it is the most obviously psudopigrapha

Atheist or not, those who reject the Xian terror-myths are certainly stronger than those who do not.

hear hear. :3:

God has spoken to you willy. It is called the Bible. If you heard an audible voice, you would wonder if you were just hearing things. And after the voice was gone, you would wonder if it was real. The Bible is much better than a spoken voice. If you care to read II Peter Chapter one, it speaks to this.

I understand what you are saying, and I am not belittling what you are saying. I believe the Bible is God's Word. Essentially, God's words to man. It is the only way that God could speak to mankind.

Why would you expect God to come to you personally? Would you really believe an audible voice? Do you think that God owes you a special visit?

I would like to know how you know that the Bible is God's Word. What is the evidence? The muslim's are just as certain as their book as you are yours.

God has spoken to you willy. It is called the Bible. If you heard an audible voice, you would wonder if you were just hearing things. And after the voice was gone, you would wonder if it was real. The Bible is much better than a spoken voice. If you care to read II Peter Chapter one, it speaks to this.

I understand what you are saying, and I am not belittling what you are saying. I believe the Bible is God's Word. Essentially, God's words to man. It is the only way that God could speak to mankind.

Why would you expect God to come to you personally? Would you really believe an audible voice? Do you think that God owes you a special visit?

I would like to know how you know that the Bible is God's Word. What is the evidence? The muslim's are just as certain as their book as you are yours.

The Bible claims to be God's word. The Bible has something that no other book has, fullfilled prophecy. There is no other book like it. It converts those who believe it, and confounds those who scorn it.

The Bible claims to be God's word. The Bible has something that no other book has, fullfilled prophecy. There is no other book like it. It converts those who believe it, and confounds those who scorn it.

lol, I know you are too "smart" to bother, but I challenge you to name ONE clear "prophecy" in the bible that has come true. I realize its not a very fair challenge...you know because there aren't any.

The Tanach claims to be God's word. The Tanach has something that no other book has, fullfilled prophecy. There is no other book like it. It converts those who believe it, and confounds those who scorn it.

You just won't learn, will you?

The Bible claims to be God's word. The Bible has something that no other book has, fullfilled prophecy. There is no other book like it.

Not so grasshopper!

The Hindu Vedas - the oldest religious books of the Worlds oldest living religion - (first compiled around 3000 BC) have several important prophesies that have been fulfilled.

The Vedas also claim to be "God's word."

The Sama Veda particularly has many prophecies which were fulfilled. The Sama Veda is also particularly interesting in that it contains the following:

“Yagnovai Bhuvanasya Nabhih” -- "God became [a] man for [our] salvation."

“Yagne Sarvam Pratishthitam”“Through his sacrifice he bestows all things”.

“Prajapatir yagnah”“God Himself is the sacrifice”.

“Prajapatir devebhyam atmanam yagnam krutva prayachhat”“God allowed Himself [to be] sacrificed [to obtain] atonement for the sins [of man] so that [they] may enter Heaven.”

“Tasya prajapatirardhameva martyamasidardhamrutam”"God became half mortal and half immortal. He united [in] Himself the human and [the] divine."

Basically "the God Brahma is sacrificed for the sins of man."

ref: Radhakrishnan S. Indian Philosophy vol. 1. 1923.

Sound familar?

Remember that the Vedas predate Christianity by about 3000 years, and were oral traditions before they were recorded.

Can you see the implications being made here?

I don't think IG can deal with the fact that Xianity is just a cut-and-paste job, drawing on bits of Judaism and extant local Pagan religions: Pagan Origins of the Jebus Myth.

:loser:

The Bible claims to be God's word.

Do you refer to 2 Timothy 3:16?

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness

First of all, when this was penned, NONE of what you now know as the New Testament was considered scripture. It would be a couple hundred more years before, through the course of religious evolution, (and some minor scribal modifications) your bible became what you now consider your Holy Book. Do you also similarly worship such texts as the Didache? Thomas? Barnabas? The Shepherd of Hermas? How do you know these are not also God-breathed?

Secondly, can you please tell us who wrote 2 Timothy?

I can help you out with the first two wrong answers:

1. Paul

2. God

Inspectro,

(sounds like a super villan from the Stan Lee era)

I am an atheist, I do not "mock" any gods, Indeed as an atheist I CANNOT mock any gods,

Because they do not exst

please pull your head out of your ass and comb the shit from your hair.

An atheist is anyone who has come to realize and accept the fact that there are no magical, invisible, men who live in the sky. (ie;gods)

Atheist as a group are a diverse lot of people bound only by the simple acceptance of logical reality.

We have no confrences or organizations of our own to unify us, (unfortunately).

We hold a philosophical position which is maligned and slandered by fundamentalists of every sort,

and we are targeted by those fundamentalists and their supporters.

Atheism is not a popular position, It requires being responsible and accountable.

An atheist cannot blame his or her mistakes or shortcomings on a "devil" or a "sin",

Nor can the atheist blame any other supernatural forces. The atheist MUST stand firmly by the consequences of his or her decisions and choices.

This is what makes atheism so frightening to the fundamentalist mind, The ACCOUNTABILITY.

It takes a lot of strength to accept responsibility for ones own self, Which is why weak people tend to not become atheists.

"The Bible claims to be God's word." actualy it doesnt, "The Bible has something that no other book has, fullfilled prophecy." Again, wrong, the bible has not one single example of a clearly fulfilled prophecy, yet several other book do contain what could be considered fullfilled prophecys "There is no other book like it." there are many books like it, Try reading the q'ran sometime "It converts those who believe it," False and Redundancy, since those who already believe do not need to be converted, and it was by reading it that I and many others have been DECONVERTED "and confounds those who scorn it." Again wrong, the bible confounds only those who try to make sense of it,

Are you ready to think for yourself yet?

• 2 months later...
"The Bible claims to be God's word." actualy it doesnt, "The Bible has something that no other book has, fullfilled prophecy." Again, wrong, the bible has not one single example of a clearly fulfilled prophecy, yet several other book do contain what could be considered fullfilled prophecys "There is no other book like it." there are many books like it, Try reading the q'ran sometime "It converts those who believe it," False and Redundancy, since those who already believe do not need to be converted, and it was by reading it that I and many others have been DECONVERTED "and confounds those who scorn it." Again wrong, the bible confounds only those who try to make sense of it,

Are you ready to think for yourself yet?

Irony? You parrot the typical atheist tripe, which you got from some other atheist, as all atheists do, and suppose that YOU think for yourself? You just say what other atheists say. Nothing new here. If you do somehow stumble upon an original thought, feel free to post it.

Also, most atheists aren't so ignorant of the Bible as you are. So you should probably hang out with a more knowledgeable crowd.

Irony? You parrot the typical atheist tripe, which you got from some other atheist, as all atheists do, and suppose that YOU think for yourself? You just say what other atheists say. Nothing new here. If you do somehow stumble upon an original thought, feel free to post it.

Also, most atheists aren't so ignorant of the Bible as you are. So you should probably hang out with a more knowledgeable crowd.

Of course it's the "typical atheist tripe" when it's the response to the typical Christian lies about the bible...

Ever thought about why you get that answer every time you spout the same lies? Because it's the truth, Inspecto!

In all you're time here, you've parroted the typical Christian lies, which you got from other Christians, as all Christians do, believing you think for yourself, saying what other Christians say, never coming out with anything new, posting unoriginal thoughts, yet somehow deluding yourself into thinking that we'll get suckered by it...

Indeed, most Atheists aren't so ignorant of the bible as you are... but where you are hanging out with a more knowledgeable crowd, you refuse to learn.

Yes, it's ironic that you accuse others of doing what you do... and hypocritical to take them to task for it. Given you're track record here, I doubt anyone's surprised at that.

Secondly, can you please tell us who wrote 2 Timothy?

I can help you out with the first two wrong answers:

1. Paul

2. God

Many scholars think that these letters were written about AD 100 in Paul's name, rather than by Paul himself, because the language differs from that of the other epistles. They carry a heavy emphasis on tradition being handed on, and church structures seem more developed than in Paul's day.

So?

:)Hi InspectoGeneral! Have you ever read any of Madeline O'Hare? (hope I spelled her name correctly) If you ever read any of these Atheist ideas, I think you will find them in harmony with core NT teachings. Really... try it!

It seems to me, once someone enters into a sincere discussion and search for the honest definition of "God," might see we are all closer to an agreement than a conflict. I'm curious to know what you find offensive in any specific idea on how to live one's life by any popular proponent of Atheism?

Atheists seem to be more alligned in their ideas. Christians would do well if they really researched these teachings attributed to Jesus and collectively came to a mutual concensus about their beliefs too. If they were to do that, it is my bet that they would be quite similar to the Atheists' ideas!

It seems to me that most members here are just asking you to reasonably look at these teachings and stress to you how likely a literal interpretation could possibly be accurate. Having said that, IMO there are many significantly wonderful teachings in the Bible that are written in allegories and metaphors with other myths attached... and what is wrong with that? Yet, how can anyone discredit ideas and philosophies other than the Bible if they have never studied them?

Of course it's the "typical atheist tripe" when it's the response to the typical Christian lies about the bible...

Ever thought about why you get that answer every time you spout the same lies? Because it's the truth, Inspecto!

In all you're time here, you've parroted the typical Christian lies, which you got from other Christians, as all Christians do, believing you think for yourself, saying what other Christians say, never coming out with anything new, posting unoriginal thoughts, yet somehow deluding yourself into thinking that we'll get suckered by it...

Indeed, most Atheists aren't so ignorant of the bible as you are... but where you are hanging out with a more knowledgeable crowd, you refuse to learn.

Yes, it's ironic that you accuse others of doing what you do... and hypocritical to take them to task for it. Given you're track record here, I doubt anyone's surprised at that.

The 'think for yourself' mantra was hurled at me, not the other way around. It is ironic for an atheist who repeats what other atheists say should accuse someone else of not thinking for themselves. Please try and keep up with who said what.

lol, I know you are too "smart" to bother, but I challenge you to name ONE clear "prophecy" in the bible that has come true. I realize its not a very fair challenge...you know because there aren't any.

. . . still waiting.

Many scholars think that these letters were written about AD 100 in Paul's name, rather than by Paul himself, because the language differs from that of the other epistles. They carry a heavy emphasis on tradition being handed on, and church structures seem more developed than in Paul's day.

So?

So? Are you serious?

You accept this writing as being from the hand of God, and the true author wasn't even honest enough to be up front with regards to his identity.

2 Timothy begins like this:

1Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, according to the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus,

2To Timothy, my dear son:

So, we have a lie in the first sentence. But, the rest is from God. Nice.

Worship fraud and fakery if you like. I pass.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - true happiness doesn't come from believing in falsehoods and in making excuses for them in order to perpetuate belief in said falsehood, but from accepting the truth flat-out.

I am far happier in my religious and spiritual life now that I do not have to constantly make up excuses for myself (or for others) to explain why Xianity doesn't make sense.

So, we have a lie in the first sentence. But, the rest is from God. Nice.

Worship fraud and fakery if you like. I pass.

Mythra, I'm in no way challenging you. I've seen and respect how much you have researched all this. I'm just curious to know...

1. If this letter from Paul is found to be written in a different language than his times, how do we know others didn't just copy the original letter so many more could have it also? Everyone couldn't have the original. It seems someone might revise the language of the letter to make it easier for those of that current period to read, therefore could not take credit for it.

2. As I understand it, there is no clear resources that indicate Jesus or his 12 disciples even existed. Is there reliable evidence that Paul existed?

:thanks:

1. If this letter from Paul is found to be written in a different language than his times, how do we know others didn't just copy the original letter so many more could have it also? Everyone couldn't have the original. It seems someone might revise the language of the letter to make it easier for those of that current period to read, therefore could not take credit for it.

2. As I understand it, there is no clear resources that indicate Jesus or his 12 disciples even existed. Is there reliable evidence that Paul existed?

Scholars haven't deduced that 2 Timothy wasn't written by Paul because it was written in a different language. It was written in greek, just like all of Paul's writings.

Textual critics believe that the language, the writing style that is used in 2 Timothy is not consistent with Paul's writings. This is the first clue.

When Marcion (in the early second century) compiled Paul's works, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, and Hebrews were not among them. These writings were added in to Marcion's collection around 200 CE.

The best evidence we have that Paul existed is his writings. There is no external evidence until we are well into the second century. And, the extant copies of Paul's writings are hundreds of years later than that.

I have read the hypothesis that Marcion was the actual author, and that he made up Paul as a character. This isn't very widely accepted, though.

For the most part, Paul's historicity is a given. (except for amongst the fringes)

It is always comical to watch people who don't understand the Bible make fools of themselves discussing it.

lol. Much to laugh at here. I always get a kick out of you guys.

It is always comical to watch people who don't understand the Bible make fools of themselves discussing it.

Don't hold back. Your references here are so vague. Please enlighten me to your wisdom.

mwc

Funny - that's how I feel about Xian websites :HaHa:

Douche.