Goodbye Jesus

I was wrong

kevin

Because kevin asked for it on the first page of this thread:
Please pray for me!

You missed my point.

The question wasn't why someone wanted to pray for Kevin, but why people let other people know that they are going to pray for them. Jesus told us to be secret about it, and not to put it on display. Is it right to announce your holy intentions is my question. It's a hijack of the thread so maybe it should be started in a new topic.

I'm not asking this to put you down, but it's a general question. Should good acts be told before their done, especially prayer, since the supposed power of prayer lies within the prayer itself, not the knowledge that a prayer is done. If it's announced, the power of prayer is in how it's received by the the person being prayed for.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jay

• Ouroboros

• dogmatically_challenged

• kevin

Welcome back Kevin; good to hear from you again. Might I enqure as to what circumstances brought about your de-programming, and what status you currently regard yourself as holding, spiritually speaking?

What Kevin should do is head over to the Testimonies section and write one for us.

I remember Kevin. Never really seemed to aggravate me even when he was Christian, but hey, whatever...

I'm glad you're happy, Kevin. I'd say if anything it's better to be content in this life than in another life that might or might not even exist.

Absolutely. I hope you find your new-found perspectives adequate for your needs. There will no doubt be alot of idiots posting here who will in a round about manner try to shame you into re-conversion. If that occurs, simply consider critically their motivations in doing so. Are they truly concerned for YOUR well being, for the state of your soul, as they will no doubt claim? Or do they simply feel threatened by anyone and anything that exists outside the self-reflexive bubble of beliefs by which they have come to define themselves, and therefore interpret any expression of alternate perspectives as a personal attack? Whatever the case, glad to have you back and have you happy.

You missed my point.

The question wasn't why someone wanted to pray for Kevin, but why people let other people know that they are going to pray for them. Jesus told us to be secret about it, and not to put it on display. Is it right to announce your holy intentions is my question. It's a hijack of the thread so maybe it should be started in a new topic.

I'm not asking this to put you down, but it's a general question. Should good acts be told before their done, especially prayer, since the supposed power of prayer lies within the prayer itself, not the knowledge that a prayer is done. If it's announced, the power of prayer is in how it's received by the the person being prayed for.

Well, I think several people here have taken this entirely out of context.

Generally, I approach message boards like we are just a bunch of people sitting at a bar drinking Guinness. So, here I am surrounded at the bar by a bunch od unbelievers, and someone who has recently left the faith says, "Please pray for me!", obviously in a joking manner. Of course, no one else in the group is going to pray for him, so I rise to the occassion and proclaim that I will pray. In that setting, everyone at the bar would laugh, and we would go back to talking about the Cardinal's kick-ass season.

Of course, here, many people at the bar come unglued, and accuse me of doing something subversive. I realize that tone of voice is often difficult to distinguish from a message board post, but for God's sake, some of you take your lack of faith WAY too seriously.

I remember you Kevin, though I doubt you remember me. I remember reading some of the stuff you said about the people of exchristian.net at tribbie forces. You thought we were really stubborn back then. However you are now in a position the very few people ever reach. You actually understand why people turn away from Christianity. Congrats on that.

I feel different to the replies I have read come your way. Most people have said congratulations and good on you etc. All I can say is I hope the Christians in you life accept your decision. Deconverting can be one of the worst things you could ever go through. Christians can be the biggest assholes. They can turn away from you distant themselves completely. I hope you do not go through tough times during the next few months.

Unfortunately, we do not "choose" what we believe. Expect to want yourself to believe again. If you continue to be honest with yourself and stay "deconverted" know that you can always find someone willing to lend you an ear or a shoulder to cry on here.

Generally, I approach message boards like we are just a bunch of people sitting at a bar drinking Guinness.  So, here I am surrounded at the bar by a bunch od unbelievers, and someone who has recently left the faith says, "Please pray for me!", obviously in a joking manner.  Of course, no one else in the group is going to pray for him, so I rise to the occassion and proclaim that I will pray.  In that setting, everyone at the bar would laugh, and we would go back to talking about the Cardinal's kick-ass season.

Of course, here, many people at the bar come unglued, and accuse me of doing something subversive.  I realize that tone of voice is often difficult to distinguish from a message board post, but for God's sake, some of you take your lack of faith WAY too seriously.

Fair enough Jay. I think Neil explained best why we reacted the way we did. It's probably waaaay past time to lay this to rest.

Generally, I approach message boards like we are just a bunch of people sitting at a bar drinking Guinness.  So, here I am surrounded at the bar by a bunch od unbelievers, and someone who has recently left the faith says, "Please pray for me!", obviously in a joking manner.  Of course, no one else in the group is going to pray for him, so I rise to the occassion and proclaim that I will pray.  In that setting, everyone at the bar would laugh, and we would go back to talking about the Cardinal's kick-ass season.

Of course, here, many people at the bar come unglued, and accuse me of doing something subversive.  I realize that tone of voice is often difficult to distinguish from a message board post, but for God's sake, some of you take your lack of faith WAY too seriously.

Oh, sorry, my bad. It was a double whammy, so to speak. :)

I think many of us are sensitive to our un-faith to be questioned, so when a unclear message from a Christian is posted, we tend to take it as criticism.

A hint, just put a little happy face or something to mark the "tone of voice", or even put a little parantheis with (just kidding guys!), to make us get it.

Kevin!

Welcome back to you! I know that the initial realization that your faith is gone can be a tough one. I have never denied that. You feel giddy and crushed all at the same time. I am glad to hear that it seems to be going well for you and your family. Good luck on your future travels through life!

Libertus

Started collecting my Phillip Yancey books, and other assorted Xtian reading in a pile.

Kevin: don't know ya, dude. But glad to see you made your getaway. Congratulations. It ain't easy to escape.

I used to read Phillip Yancey too when I was a thumper.

I got em in the bookcase now, sandwiched between Robert Price books. Curious to see if one or the other will spontaneously combust.

Just wanted to say once again how much all your words of encouragement and wisdom have touched my heart. I will take Neil's suggestion, and post my testimony as soon as the dust settles. There is so much that I have to sort out. So many thoughts that I would not allow my mind to dwell on. I can read whatever I want without feeling guilty. I literally brainwashed myself, and read nothing but christian books for 8 years.....

Kevin:

Just wanted to say once again how much all your words of encouragement and wisdom have touched my heart. I will take Neil's suggestion, and post my testimony as soon as the dust settles. There is so much that I have to sort out. So many thoughts that I would not allow my mind to dwell on. I can read whatever I want without feeling guilty. I literally brainwashed myself, and read nothing but christian books for 8 years.....

Kevin:

Exactly. You feel that you don't need to be forgiven for sin, but straight out you actually don't have any sin.

Sin only works if you believe that there is sin. But sin requires there is a God to sin against. So since there is no God to sin against, then there is no sin, so you don't need forgiveness.. (not saying there are no morals and ethics)

You don't have to be ashamed of who you are anymore. It's very liberating.

I used to read Phillip Yancey too when I was a thumper.

I got em in the bookcase now, sandwiched between Robert Price books.  Curious to see if one or the other will spontaneously combust.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Kevin:

Okay, now you're scarin' me. :eek:

This quote of yours actually sounds convincing. :twitch:

:HaHa:

:woohoo:

Kevin, I'm so glad for you.

I remember one engagement with you where I kept posting and re-posting to you the same annoying message: "Love us Kevin." "Try loving us, Kevin." "You know you really love us, Kevin, so tell us you love us."

Now it looks like you did, do, may, can, will, and even know you're doing it while you're doing it!

Love back atcha, Kevin.

Kevin, I'm so glad for you.

I remember one engagement with you where I kept posting and re-posting to you the same annoying message: "Love us Kevin."  "Try loving us, Kevin."  "You know you really love us, Kevin, so tell us you love us."

Now it looks like you did, do, may, can, will, and even know you're doing it while you're doing it!

Love back atcha, Kevin.

I remember that incident very well Pitchu. I remember thinking "Damn it, I am trying to get annoyed here, and all she is talking about is love" You are such a special person who enriches this site with your presence. Don't ever leave!

Kevin:

Kevin, I remember debating you ages ago. Nothing but xtian books for 8 yrs? That explains a lot, I suggest a study course in logic now, and history, as you can now actually see it all, welcome to reality. You could read the bible for the first time now, but I personally recommend sceptical and critical thinking, its great fun to poke holes in unreason. There’s a big world to explore, anything you’ve been scared to try, but are free to now? Look forward to hearing more details on your situation.

Glad to hear you're coping well, I've had to give therapy to some pretty screwed up x-xtians, as the faith puts so many booby traps in your mind, anything in-particular bothering you, any questions?

So, I was attempting to do something that I did not know I was attempting to do.

Perfect.

This is really entertaining.

I may have to spend more time here.

Hi Jay, are you sarcastic overhere...? Do you really think xianity makes you a better man?

I'm with the rest of these doubters -- for now.  :Hmm:

Kevin, you know me. I've never really trusted you ever since our first little encounter. Let alone the little incident where you went out with a bang on the original forum.

Ummm... yeah. No kidding!

I'll believe it when I see it.

...maybe in a few hundred posts.

Sign me,

Most skeptical Reach

Edit: Dang! I only read the first two pages of this thread before I posted but now, I see that you already have nine posts in. :grin:

I remember that incident very well Pitchu. I remember thinking "Damn it, I am trying to get annoyed here, and all she is talking about is love"

It isn't that I don't now feel a twinge of skepticism myself, Kevin, but I figure, "What's the worst that can happen? He came back just to pull the rug out from under us? So what? He can't take the furniture!"

But Reach has a legitimate score to settle. That's different. (I suggest you try 91 posts of

:wub: )

.... I can read whatever I want without feeling guilty...

Kevin:

For me that was one of the greatest benefits of dumping Xianity-- the FREEDOM to read and learn and think for myself. It's hard to see the bondage while you're in it...

Congrats!

It isn't that I don't now feel a twinge of skepticism myself, Kevin, but I figure, "What's the worst that can happen?  He came back just to pull the rug out from under us?  So what?  He can't take the furniture!"

But Reach has a legitimate score to settle.  That's different.  (I suggest you try 91 posts of

:wub: )

Whatever happened in the past is now geography......erm history.

Reach just wants to see me all hot and fiery. She loves me when I get like that! :phew:

Update:

The BBQ started very civil for about 10 mins, then they strapped me to a table and forced me to listen to Benny Hinn tapes.

No. Seriously, the interrogation was relentless. A lot of "don't knows", and smiles from me. A lot of frowning and periods of silence from them, especially when I mentioned the cancelled tithing. They seemed to be more concerned with how my wife was taking all of this. I don't think it went very well, and I noticed my wife was a little snappy towards me afterwards. I think she envisions problems down the road for us. She's probably right.

Kevin:

I think she envisions problems down the road for us. She's probably right.

Kevin:

Nothing like the old "light doesn't mix with darkness". Going through a little of that right now myself. Sigh. Such is life.

Yeah, that cancelled tithing thing produces more silence than a street mime.

This has to be difficult for your wife. But if she can laugh and enjoy your telling her to fuck off, my guess is she's got character that'll help her (and you) through the transition.

If you think it would ever help, consider bringing her to these forums.