Goodbye Jesus

I was wrong

kevin

Yeah, that cancelled tithing thing produces more silence than a street mime.

This has to be difficult for your wife.  But if she can laugh and enjoy your telling her to fuck off, my guess is she's got character that'll help her (and you) through the transition.

If you think it would ever help, consider bringing her to these forums.

Hi Pitchu

This forum has taken quite a lot of the blame for perverting a mindless retard like myself. My wife would be foaming at the mouth if she ever entered this place!

Kevin:

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jay

• Ouroboros

• dogmatically_challenged

• kevin

Whatever happened in the past is now geography......erm history.

Reach just wants to see me all hot and fiery. She loves me when I get like that! :phew:

Update:

The BBQ started very civil for about 10 mins, then they strapped me to a table and forced me to listen to Benny Hinn tapes.

No. Seriously, the interrogation was relentless. A lot of "don't knows", and smiles from me. A lot of frowning and periods of silence from them, especially when I mentioned the cancelled tithing. They seemed to be more concerned with how my wife was taking all of this. I don't think it went very well, and I noticed my wife was a little snappy towards me afterwards. I think she envisions problems down the road for us. She's probably right.

Kevin:

Oooh boy. I guess you do need some "prayer"... I wish you the best luck, man.

I was really "blessed", 'cause my wife had secretly deconverted for one or two years before I did. So when I got my guts together to tell her, she was calm as a brick, and told me "so what?, I'm okay with it." Unfortunately few have that experience.

Nothing like the old "light doesn't mix with darkness".  Going through a little of that right now myself.  Sigh.  Such is life.

But how do you get gray, unless you mix? :grin:

Kevin: My best to you.

I used to read Phillip Yancey too when I was a thumper.

I got em in the bookcase now, sandwiched between Robert Price books.  Curious to see if one or the other will spontaneously combust.

:lmao: I just recently came across Price so that comment had me rolling.

I might add Mythra, I find your posts quite enjoyable and informative.

cheers,

cho

Kevin, if your wife blames this site for giving fuel to your deconversion, you may have to do something about that if you plan to spend much time with us.

In your situation, this board could become the metaphorical "other woman" and that won't be good for anybody.

What are your thoughts on this?

Kevin,

You don't know me, and I don't know you, so let me begin by saying, "Greetings!" And "Welcome to the world of free thought!"

From what I gather from the other posters here at Ex-C, you must have been a right awful Xian! And now they suspect you may be yanking our chain?

Oh well. Here's hoping you're legit. And if not? Who cares? I can take a joke as well as the next sucker! After all, I WAS a "follower of X" meself! I'm used to having egg on my face.

And if you are seriously done with the Xian meme, then I MAY have to re-evaluate my views on the value of debating with Xians. I could possibly be turned upside down on this thing.

Time will tell.

Anywho...welcome to the "conspiracy"! :grin:

Wow, I've been gone for a couple weeks and I come back to this.

I hope you're doing well, Kevin (you know we share the same first name?), and that you can handle the joys and sorrows of free inquiry.

So what do you think you'll do now to make the most of your life? Art? Science?

I recommend ceramics for starters. It's such a sensual and soothing art. You'll suck at first (as with all things) but give it time and patience and you'll be awesome.

I think this thread has gone on long enough about me. I will probably mention

my ongoing saga in more detail when I get my testimony together.

Kevin:

I just read a truly great horror story that was told in first-person format.

The word "testimony" scares the shit outta me right now. O.o

Yeah, Spooky, where've you been?

Jay, you don't happen to live in Minnesota or like Transformers, do you?

Just curious.

Heee, sorry, Ficino. I've been so incredibly busy with school.

Heck, I shouldn't even be messing around now. I've got a midterm friday!

You simply lack faith.

Thank you! Personally I try hard to achieve that goal. It's nice to be recognized.

Welcome to ex-C on the other side!

Now that your mind is free, might I suggest Carl Sagan's "The Demon Haunted World" to start rebuilding your library with?

It isn't that I don't now feel a twinge of skepticism myself, Kevin, but I figure, "What's the worst that can happen?  He came back just to pull the rug out from under us?  So what?  He can't take the furniture!"

But Reach has a legitimate score to settle.  That's different.

I appreciate your memory, Pitchu. As you recall, my numerous reasons for distrusting him are entirely legitimate.

It's one thing to forgive someone who has wronged you several times, without provocation. It's another thing to forget a knife in the back from the same.

Knife wounds can heal and be essentially forgotten but rarely, if ever, are the right substances in place for trust to develop.

If Kevin is not playing games this time... great! But I won't be joining any fan club of his. And I don't want to be part of the welcoming committee either.

When Kevin made his first entrance here, I welcomed him in with open arms. At first glance, I liked him. Unfortunately, my attempts at kindness toward him were met with accusations from him. We were both Christians at the time. His behavior toward me went from bad to appalling.

I don't recall which number we are on now but at this entrance of his, while I will try to refrain from being rude or condescending, based on my personal experience with this person of questionable principles, consider me detached and skeptical.

I'm sure our WebMaster Dave's memory is as accurate as yours, Sis. Thanks.

-Reach

Whatever happened in the past is now geography......erm history.

Reach just wants to see me all hot and fiery. She loves me when I get like that! :phew:

:Hmm:

Mistakes made that are never made aright will often have you repeating your poor history record.

Kevin, I'll say this. If your deconversion is a reality, then I wish you all the best. My road out and away from Christianity was a costly one and I expect it's not easy for anyone, even those who are fringe Christians, as often is the case that they were simply caught in the cultish quagmire by an act of birth into the Christian family or they were dragged in with emotional tuglines during some stormy hardship or disaster.

There are some fatalistic qualities to atheism, which I explored before leaving Christianity because I wanted to know as much as I could beforehand about the destination I envisioned. If you have ever considered leaving the faith, I would expect that you have noted that already. If you choose this road, you may also run into some dead ends. I'll leave that to you to find them for yourself.

Where some doors may close, others will open. There are freedoms which may come as sweet surprises to you when Christianity is tossed aside. Enjoy them responsibly. Whatever path you are on or might choose next, my hope for you has always been that you will make the most of the freedoms at hand and grow into the best possible person you can become.

As an atheist, I am no longer required to answer to the Christian god but I still have to live with myself and I like to sleep at night.

-Reach

Jay, you don't happen to live in Minnesota or like Transformers, do you? 

Just curious.

I live in Wisconsin, and I am not sure what a "Transformer" is...if it is something from television, I haven't watched the thing for two decades, so I am completely unfamiliar with any current shows.

Did he blaspheme the holy spirit yet?

Kevin, I'll say this. If your deconversion is a reality, then I wish you all the best. My road out and away from Christianity was a costly one and I expect it's not easy for anyone, even those who are fringe Christians, as often is the case that they were simply caught in the cultish quagmire by an act of birth into the Christian family or they were dragged in with emotional tuglines during some stormy hardship or disaster.

There are some fatalistic qualities to atheism, which I explored before leaving Christianity because I wanted to know as much as I could beforehand about the destination I envisioned. If you have ever considered leaving the faith, I would expect that you have noted that already. If you choose this road, you may also run into some dead ends. I'll leave that to you to find them for yourself.

Where some doors may close, others will open. There are freedoms which may come as sweet surprises to you when Christianity is tossed aside. Enjoy them responsibly. Whatever path you are on or might choose next, my hope for you has always been that you will make the most of the freedoms at hand and grow into the best possible person you can become.

As an atheist, I am no longer required to answer to the Christian god but I still have to live with myself and I like to sleep at night.

-Reach

Thanks for the advice Reach, although I still detect some bitterness towards me.

I have no intention of letting this cordial interaction between us get out of hand in any way, so I am choosing my words carefully so they will not be misconstrued.

This is a new chapter in my life, and it benefits no one by dragging up the past.

What's done is done, and it's time to move on and enjoy life. I do hope you agree.

Kevin:

I live in Wisconsin, and I am not sure what a "Transformer" is...if it is something from television, I haven't watched the thing for two decades, so I am completely unfamiliar with any current shows.

Hey, your up in Madison if I remember correctly?

Transformers are from the 80's. Transformers - More Than Meets the Eye."

Kevin

Congratulations on your new found Freedom. Now that you are free from Dogma, the Universe awaits. Prove all things and believe only that which is good, honest, and true.

Hey, your up in Madison if I remember correctly?

Transformers are from the 80's. Transformers - More Than Meets the Eye."

Interesting...I did a little research into this.

It appears to be a comic book/cartoon/video game. Not familiar with it at all, and it doesn't look like something that would interest me in the slightest.

I am sure the original comment had some sort of joke buried in it...sorry, I don't get it.

Anyhow, I am just south of Madison, in Fitchburg, and I see you are in Milwaukee...if you ever make it this way, let me know!

Jay

Heee, sorry, Ficino.  I've been so incredibly busy with school.

Heck, I shouldn't even be messing around now.  I've got a midterm friday!

Dude, it's summer in California! Everybody's gone surfin', surfin' USA.

Good luck on your midterm!

Being a double major means summer school.

Besides, I love to keep myself busy.

Kevin welcome to the world of unbelief. It's not been an easy road for me, and from your posts it won't be so easy for you either. I just melted away from my former Christian friend for the most part, and didn't make big announcements like: I quite tithing to avoid that controversy. I also knew my friends would be hurt and offended. I did admit it online to Christian friends who for the most part reacted very poorly, and that was enough to let me know not to do it in real life.

Deconverting was tough, but coming out as an atheist is near impossible for me except online. My interview on the Infidelguy program a few weeks ago has already caused someone to send an email to my husband at work that was basically telling on me. I hope my atheism doesn't affect his job in the Army. (he's a Chaplain)

Hi Kevin,

I don’t know if we have ever communicated before as I typically don’t browse through the Debate Forum very often. I just wanted to say hello and tell you that I am glad you found us.

I don’t want to wish you congratulations, or commend you on your decision. What you are going through is very personal and the emotions that well up are often uncontrollable, conflicting, and often frightening. I guess what I am trying to say is that I don’t want to scare you away by saying the wrong thing.

I was never a Christian in the sense that you would probably define it. I went seriously to church for two years as a teenager; the decision was mine and I went alone. But it just never clicked for me. No matter how hard I tried I could never get my mind to accept that a creator of the universes would require a blood sacrifice, desire worship, and not provide me personally with the knowledge of His existence. I spent years “pretending” to believe, in the hope that I would someday be worthy of such a revelation. It never came.

Welcome Kevin :grin:

IBF