Goodbye Jesus

What Good Has Atheism Done?

Guest amazed

I thought about something I never mentioned earlier, and that is, why is altruism good? Why would any kind of "worldview" be judged by altruism? The old testament doesn't promote it, rather the opposite. God commanding genocide because there is some greater good (according to Christians). So which is it? Obey God and kill people, or do good to everyone?

Would a Christian help a dictator who is asking them for help? Would a Christian support a serial killer because they're supposed to be good to everyone? I don't think so. They most likely would not.

I see a contradiction here. God commanding genocide because some tribe (supposedly) sacrificed babies. Instead of helping understand and see their faulty ways, God just kill them all (including women and children). Then Jesus comes as tell people they should love their enemies and give them their coat, even walk with with an extra mile. So which God is the good God? The one who commands murder or the one who commands supporting enemies?

Word.

Word? :shrug:

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Snakefoot

• Shyone

• NotBlinded

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought about something I never mentioned earlier, and that is, why is altruism good? Why would any kind of "worldview" be judged by altruism? The old testament doesn't promote it, rather the opposite. God commanding genocide because there is some greater good (according to Christians). So which is it? Obey God and kill people, or do good to everyone?

Would a Christian help a dictator who is asking them for help? Would a Christian support a serial killer because they're supposed to be good to everyone? I don't think so. They most likely would not.

I see a contradiction here. God commanding genocide because some tribe (supposedly) sacrificed babies. Instead of helping understand and see their faulty ways, God just kill them all (including women and children). Then Jesus comes as tell people they should love their enemies and give them their coat, even walk with with an extra mile. So which God is the good God? The one who commands murder or the one who commands supporting enemies?

Word.

It's a populist shortcut to say, "I completely and totally agree with all you have said."

Also sometimes expressed as "Word Up."

Yo, 4 real

I just wish I had proof read my post before submitting it. :( It could have been slightly easier to read.

Yo, 4 real

I just wish I had proof read my post before submitting it. :( It could have been slightly easier to read.

Word.

(just kidding)

Word.

It's a populist shortcut to say, "I completely and totally agree with all you have said."

Ah, okay. Going back into the cave now. Darn kids....post-4057-125970140121.gif

Word.

Ah, okay. Going back into the cave now. Darn kids....grumpy dog EDIT.gif

I know, right? (A new one to me that my daughter uses and I just used myself somewhere around here today!) That stuff rubs off. :D

This thread is still here? :eek: You'd think booting the OP for intentional stupidity would have killed it by now.

Ah, okay. Going back into the cave now. Darn kids....post-4057-125970140121.gif

I know, right? (A new one to me that my daughter uses and I just used myself somewhere around here today!) That stuff rubs off. :D

A new one? You must not know any Jews. That's almost Yiddish.

This thread is a broken record. "Amazed" says that he cannot understand how atheists can do good. You all have spent a great deal of time (50+ pages) and thought patiently explaining to him how and why you, as atheists, help people. After a dozen or so posts, he repeats the same statement again.

With great respect for your efforts, I say quit wasting your time on him. He is not listening. If his posts were at least well-though-out it might be stimulating for you to debate with him - but they're not. His responses typically consist of him shaking his head and saying "No, I can't see why atheists would want to be charitable." After spending a couple of hours reading, I believe him - he really can't see why anybody would do good if there was nothing in it for them personally.

You are trying to lead an unwilling horse thru a closed barn door. All you get for your efforts are a sore head from banging it against the closed door.

Eh, uhm, George, I booted Amazed several days ago... slowpoke. :grin:

Good. (I quit reading after about page 16.)

Okay...I'm going to join Snakefoot in his cave now. Maybe it's a little bigger than mine! :HaHa:

Okay...I'm going to join Snakefoot in his cave now. Maybe it's a little bigger than mine! :HaHa:

Ceiling's kinda low, so you have to duck. Oh, and careful not to trip over any of the animal carcasses or skulls piled near the entrance.

Bring your own bearskin.

Ceiling's kinda low, so you have to duck. Oh, and careful not to trip over any of the animal carcasses or skulls piled near the entrance.

Bring your own bearskin.

Well, being 6'3" I'm used to ducking. :D Can it be a faux bearskin? :HaHa:

Bring your own bearskin.

Well, being 6'3" I'm used to ducking. :DCan it be a faux bearskin? :HaHa:

Only if you are not Jewish. Otherwise it has to be a bear faux skin. :fun:

Bring your own bearskin.

:lmao:

:scratch:

But...

Huh?

:HaHa:

Bring your own bearskin.

:lmao:

:scratch:

But...

Huh?

:HaHa:

"faux" pronounced "foe"; e.g. faux pas is "foe pah", hence "foe skin"

so it seems to me that many of you left christianity because god did not give you a sign. Are you sure you were not already showed but then your faith was weak and thats when you fell? I just can't understand how you could leave something that had brought so much joy to your lives. I do not believe that when you were first commited to christianity you did not feel any great emotions like a slightly awkward sense of joy and you didnt really know how but you had seen evidence in your life but you could honestly say you complatelt believed in god. I would like all atheists to answer if you wouldnt mind.

Suggestion: close this thread or I might go insane. Start a new one Jake this one is waaaayyy to long.

so it seems to me that many of you left christianity because god did not give you a sign. Are you sure you were not already showed but then your faith was weak and thats when you fell? I just can't understand how you could leave something that had brought so much joy to your lives. I do not believe that when you were first commited to christianity you did not feel any great emotions like a slightly awkward sense of joy and you didnt really know how but you had seen evidence in your life but you could honestly say you complatelt believed in god. I would like all atheists to answer if you wouldnt mind.

I had an emotional experience as you describe, but the more I "grew" in xtianity, the less plausible it all became. As I matured emotionally, believing in and patterning my life on a fairytale became increasing embarrassing and indefensible. The more I learned about the babble, xtianity, and the entire concept of a gawd, the more unanswerable questions arose.

It was my sincere quest to find answers to those questions that led to the realization that gawd and all appurtenances thereto were simple superstitions bolstered by institutions founded on greed and power hunger among its leadership.

That, in a gnats thumbnail, is why I am an EX-xtian.

• Super Moderator
I would like all atheists to answer if you wouldnt mind.

Atheists and other ex-Christians have answered many times to many apologists who wander in here.

If you'll look around here a bit you will see how people end up as atheists, or otherwise ex-Christian. One primary reason people leave the faith is studying the entire Bible (not just the sanitized sermon sound bytes). Other reasons are learning about the Bible's history, the church's history, science and ancient/world history. Unanswered prayers (everyone has prayed for more faith at some time) and lack of answers from clergy ("Ya just gotta have faith!" isn't good enough.)

Please look at some posts in the testimonies and you will see many struggles to keep believing and the reasons faith was ultimately lost.

I don't mind as such, per se, I just don't feel any particular inclination to do so.

so it seems to me that many of you left christianity because god did not give you a sign.

Yeah. Kind of.

30 years is a long time to wait for a sign. Any kind. Anything would have been good. But nothing. Even Thomas who doubted got a sign. But waiting 30 years for just one single little fraction of a sign but not get any? Why?

Are you sure you were not already showed but then your faith was weak and thats when you fell?

Sure. Then wouldn't God know that my faith was weak and help me build it up again? I asked him for it. I asked God to help my doubt and strengthen my faith. It would have been a sign good enough for me if that at least had happened--but it didn't.

I just can't understand how you could leave something that had brought so much joy to your lives.

The last couple of years it didn't bring me any joy, that's part of why I lost hope and faith. I didn't feel anything. And I truly needed to feel something, but I didn't. And I asked God for the feelings, but they never came.

I do not believe that when you were first commited to christianity you did not feel any great emotions like a slightly awkward sense of joy and you didnt really know how but you had seen evidence in your life but you could honestly say you complatelt believed in god.

Actually I did feel a lot when I first converted to Christianity. I felt many things many times thereafter.

But here's the strange thing. When I de-converted, i.e. lost my faith, the next few days I felt the same kind of overwhelming joy and awe. Life took a new turn and I got the feelings back, after leaving Christianity.

I would like all atheists to answer if you wouldnt mind.

Well, you got my answer.

Suggestion: close this thread or I might go insane. Start a new one Jake this one is waaaayyy to long.

Sure.

I'm closing this thread, and Jake, you can start a new thread with your question(s). This one is far too long.