Goodbye Jesus

Forgive Me, I Watched Joyce Meyer

Denyoz

I cant be bothered listening to evangelists from any religion, including Hitchens and his ilk. Tired of talking heads. Sick and tired of fucking knowalls, whatever they believe. Keep it to yourselves attention whores.

I prefer to have love as my god (I always did actually) and NOT in a group situation. Doesn't matter how good a group is to start with, humans seem beyond giving into group dynamics. You came into the world alone, you will die alone. No shame in it. No need to latch on to anyone else's idea of how life should be lived and what you should believe.

• Like 3

Shall we allow Christians into our love cult? Many a Christian proclaims that God is love. Lovers of love, unite!

This concept was the only reason I stayed in religion, otherwise I would have left it as an early teen. Love has guided every decision that I've made since then. I didn't think, "what would Jesus do", I would think, "is this action loving?" I have absolutely no regrets for seeing "god" in this way.

• Like 1

Evidence is certainly important. Four or five witnesses from ex-christians agreeing on one thing would probably be enough to kickstart me in that direction.

Check out the developments in the Modern Deism, Nature's God thread while you're at it. A nice case for pantheism is presented. Perhaps we are all The Love God.

Thanks True, I read the whole Modern Deism, Nature's God thread as you suggested. Interesting topic. Perhaps we are all The Love God, indeed.

So then Joyce Meyer is right Wendytwitch.gif if we cherry pick her statement that God is love (God being Love itself, not the bully from the bible).

Thanks True, I read the whole Modern Deism, Nature's God thread as you suggested. Interesting topic. Perhaps we are all The Love God, indeed. So then Joyce Meyer is right Wendytwitch.gif if we cherry pick her statement that God is love (God being Love itself, not the bully from the bible).

Hi Denyoz, if you take out the Bible from the equation, you have no Christianity. Thats why the men in long frocks continue to peddle the myth that the Bible is the word of God. When it is obviously man made.

Joyce Meyer I think is very adept at selling a born again evagelical brand of Christianity. Ive seen her show, and it doesnt connect with me, but I guess must hit the right notes with many. This is how she can afford to own million dollar homes, and fly around in a $10 million Gulfstream jet. When I was a Christian I would have called her a false prophet. Now I would call her full of shit. Sorry to be blunt :) cheers Adam

• Like 2

I still watch her once in a while, for entertainment. It's interesting to hear the "gospel" from outside the bubble when all your life you heard it from within. She is very blunt and talks to Christians as if they were a bunch of dummies, and I like that. Of course the purpose of her message is to get more of them to send her more money, and this is revolting. But she has made me laugh more than once. Most of the time I just can't take the crap and turn the TV off.

Almost everything you see on TV is bullcrap anyway. At least the Christian channel is a topic I'm familiar with, that's why I watch(ed) it. Of course I don't need you guys' permission, I can watch what I want. The title of this thread is a joke (Margee certainly got it), I don't need to be forgiven for anything. I enjoyed the whole discussion. smile.png

• Like 1

I like to watch low budget fundie tv like jack van impe. Its my guilty secret ;)

I prefer to have love as my god (I always did actually) and NOT in a group situation. Doesn't matter how good a group is to start with, humans seem beyond giving into group dynamics. You came into the world alone, you will die alone. No shame in it. No need to latch on to anyone else's idea of how life should be lived and what you should believe.

One Of Us! One Of Us!

Galien, due to your confession of faith, we have received you into our love cult. ;p

I can't stand Joyce Meyer's but my mom LOVES her...

She claims that her and dad had an argument and that if she hadn't read a book by Joyce Meyers, she wouldn't have talked to him for the rest of the day. To me, that's disgusting that she has to be reminded of the Bible to go and talk to my dad after an argument. I mean, my dad is usually the ass that starts the arguments in the first place and won't back down on whatever stupid stance he has, even when you tell him that the argument is over. All Joyce Meyers tells mom to do is "forgive" and go back to him and let him verbally abuse her all over again and lie and lie and lie....

Ugh...she's just the worst advice giver.

The last time I watched her she was on about the submission of wives and gleefully pointed to her present toy-boy husband she drags with her from event to event.

What beats me, how does the average housewife relate to her? They probably live vicariously through her. Want to be assertive like her but probably have marriages that suck. That is the gist I got when they panned the audience.

She appeared on the TBN channel here and there are women that aspire to be her, hairstyle and all. Why would they think that hairstyle is attractive beats me?

Joyce_Meyer2.jpg

Barf...

• Like 2

One Of Us! One Of Us!

Galien, due to your confession of faith, we have received you into our love cult. ;p

And then what happends when your love god deceives you?

One Of Us! One Of Us!

And then what happends when your love god deceives you?

We, The Love God, do not deceive ourselves. :D

You write: "Love is the most ESSENTIAL human desire." Do you feel that the majority of people agree with this? I'm sure 99.9% of Christians do.

So love IS definitely important when it comes to human happiness. It is essential. So love is It! Does everyone here agree? Do we have a consensus?

Yes! However now we get into what exactly "love" is?

"Love is a warm puppy"

How I hate that statement, although it's probably the closest thing to the truth.

woof woof

I still like to think God loves us. It's ludicrous, I know. If God does care about humans, S/He is playing favorites to beat the band. But it is comforting.

Remember televangelists are appealing to your emotions to get you to buy their spiritually nourishing books and spread the word of our

ever-loving Gawd.

Love is kittens and cannolis. 

I know something. I use to send money monthly to Joyce Meyers Ministries. I hope it did help someone because I would hate to think my money was just lining Joyce Meyer's pockets. I had a few of her books. "battlefield of the mind". Is a big seller. When i deconverted I threw all the books out and cancelled my monthly donation.

About the Love thing. I think for me....loving is better for my health rather than being resentful, Bitter, Hateful, Etc. As it says Love Conquers All. Maybe it does.

I think it is hard to love everyone and anyone though. I find it hard to like some people but I don't hate them either. So what do you call that? And if and when I see a stranger in need of help I try and help if I am able. But I don't feel that I love the person but I do have compassion. I am not sure of how to define love.

If we were this great love group could we love Hitler unconditionally.

IF Jesus is real could we love him? What about bible god?

You are all talking about Love but I don't think we are capable of loving to the extent that we can call "love" a god or IS god because isn't that what Christianity was meant to be all about but look how people fall short of loving who say they are a Christian.

don't we all do things at one time or another that may be perceived as non loving?

I am all for love but I wouldn't join an organized group.

I do the best I can and I can unconditionally love my husband, kids, grand kids.

But do I unconditionally love my next door neighbor? The guy at the gas station, The old cranky lady down the street. Hmmmmm. ......not really. But Would I help them if they needed it? sure.

You write: "Love is the most ESSENTIAL human desire." Do you feel that the majority of people agree with this? I'm sure 99.9% of Christians do.

So love IS definitely important when it comes to human happiness. It is essential. So love is It! Does everyone here agree? Do we have a consensus?

Yes! However now we get into what exactly "love" is? And in the cult, "love" was "keeping the commandments". I saw supposedly "loving" christian people do some serious hurtful & harmful things...

all in the name of "love". Wendyshrug.gifWendytwitch.gif

Oh that is what I was trying to say in my last post. I missed your post. Yes Christians can say some un-loving things and act in an un-loving way.

so yes what is "love"?

I am sure the dictionary will give a defnition but off the top of my head

Maybe it is an act of love when I help a stranger. I am not sure. I just feel compassion or a desire to help them. I don't FEEL love for them.

LOVE can be a feeling or an act. Maybe the feeling doesn't have to be there to do something kind and helpful. Not sure.

"love" has a broad spectrum.

..but love can come and go when it is a feeling. Fickle? is that the word. We may say that we love a singer or a tv show or a movie and then by next month, it's onto another one....LOL

I love chocolate! I love my husband. LOL big difference.

Also I hate to quote from bible but I have always thought that this is a good definition of love.

Bible Verse: 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7

Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

sorry if posting a scrip bothers anyone. I just have always liked this verse because I think it is a good way to be, to live. If there is something out there that says the same thing as the above verse and comes from a different source. Non Christian. non bible. I would like to know.

Sorry I did not read the whole thread but I need to know if anyone else thinks Joyce looks like the Joker? Joel Olsteen's constant blinking and fake smile give me the creeps.

• Like 1

Sorry I did not read the whole thread but I need to know if anyone else thinks Joyce looks like the Joker? Joel Olsteen's constant blinking and fake smile give me the creeps.

Joel also does that squinty eye thing :D

Yes--I share both sentiments (and the squinty eyes).

About the Love thing. I think for me....loving is better for my health rather than being resentful, Bitter, Hateful, Etc. As it says Love Conquers All. Maybe it does.

I think it is hard to love everyone and anyone though. I find it hard to like some people but I don't hate them either. So what do you call that? And if and when I see a stranger in need of help I try and help if I am able. But I don't feel that I love the person but I do have compassion. I am not sure of how to define love.

If we were this great love group could we love Hitler unconditionally.

IF Jesus is real could we love him? What about bible god?

You are all talking about Love but I don't think we are capable of loving to the extent that we can call "love" a god or IS god because isn't that what Christianity was meant to be all about but look how people fall short of loving who say they are a Christian.

don't we all do things at one time or another that may be perceived as non loving?

I am all for love but I wouldn't join an organized group.

I do the best I can and I can unconditionally love my husband, kids, grand kids.

But do I unconditionally love my next door neighbor? The guy at the gas station, The old cranky lady down the street. Hmmmmm. ......not really. But Would I help them if they needed it? sure.

It may be difficult, but I find Agape (unconditional) love for all a worthy pursuit. It's not about finding their current condition attractive. It's about having empathy and wanting what's best for them, which may include wishing them to change.

Is Hitler the worst offender that you can think of? Have you read Mein Kampf?

Bible Verse: 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7 Love is patient; love is kind;

This is one of my favorite bits too. But then Paul's writings for me, are sploit by his religious zelotry and end time nuttiness.

Are you defending Hitler? Are you serious?

I knew that was coming... Of course not! My point was that he based, or at least backed, his actions and motivated his followers with Christian teachings.

Example:

"The folkish-minded man, in particular, has the sacred duty, each in his own denomination, of making people stop just talking superficially of God's will, and actually fulfill God's will, and not let God's word be desecrated. For God's will gave men their form, their essence and their abilities. Anyone who destroys His work is declaring war on the Lord's creation, the divine will.

- Adolf Hitler,

Mein Kampf

Vol. 2 Chapter 10"

I knew that was coming... Of course not! My point was that he based, or at least backed, his actions and motivated his followers with Christian teachings.

Example:

"The folkish-minded man, in particular, has the sacred duty, each in his own denomination, of making people stop just talking superficially of God's will, and actually fulfill God's will, and not let God's word be desecrated. For God's will gave men their form, their essence and their abilities. Anyone who destroys His work is declaring war on the Lord's creation, the divine will.

- Adolf Hitler,

Mein Kampf

Vol. 2 Chapter 10"

I knew Hitler was a xian....somebody needs to start a thread on how xians have caused a lot of bloodshed...maybe they'll stop living in fantasy land???

doubtful though.....

Whoops. Apologies.

I knew Hitler was a xian....somebody needs to start a thread on how xians have caused a lot of bloodshed...

The religious views of Adolf Hitler are disputed. Some claim he was, some he wasnt. Personally I dont think he was.

• Super Moderator

The Nazis wore a belt buckle that translates to "God Is With Us" or something like that.... I'd look it up, but I can't right now.